IGNORED

WW ii reenactments continue from the folk of VF

love2scrap

Sep 25-26: they continue to play dress-up with soldier uniforms and plenty of red lipstick, after dougie's fall.

Courters, seargeants, verniers, bowmans, verrets, and other people i dont recognize in attendance. Boyer sisters sang.

instagram.com/rememberingwwii

Or check out the hashtag #rememberingwwii

instagram.com/explore/tags/rememberingwwii

Hey, where are the women in Rosie the Riveter costumes? Or the women in WAC, WAVES, WASP or SPAR uniforms?

I remember my grandfather always said that his dad often commented that the manufacturing bosses were disappointed when the men came home from war and wanted their jobs back because the women were actually better and more meticulous workers than the men. Interesting perspective, no? How do you feel about that, Dougie?

I honestly thought that by now we'd hear some sort of silly "let's go fight ISIS!" rally from the WW2ers. On the one hand, it seems like a noble and heroic venture, saving all those Christians (even though they're the wrong kind) from the evil Muslims.

On the other hand, I always forget that wars are about dress-up to these folks, not actually, you know... war.

Hey, where are the women in Rosie the Riveter costumes? Or the women in WAC, WAVES, WASP or SPAR uniforms?

I remember my grandfather always said that his dad often commented that the manufacturing bosses were disappointed when the men came home from war and wanted their jobs back because the women were actually better and more meticulous workers than the men. Interesting perspective, no? How do you feel about that, Dougie?

Or the female mathematicians who acted as "human computers". Or the female pilots that, while not allowed in combat, did train 1000s of male piolts. The British had a small army of female spies. The Red Cross nurses, wjo went unarmed into combat zones. And I'm sure the list goes on.

In the Vision Forum world (er the post Vision Forum world) women are reduced to pretty clothes and maybe singing. Basicly modestly dressed showgirls. Not even real showgirls, just playing at it. That is Christian fundamentalist feminity. Or I forgot, you can research stuff too.

Notice the logo? "Remembering WWII -- Casting Tomorrows Vision By Understanding Out Past" I wonder if DPIAT is more involved here that mere attendance?

Or the female mathematicians who acted as "human computers". Or the female pilots that, while not allowed in combat, did train 1000s of male piolts. The British had a small army of female spies. The Red Cross nurses, wjo went unarmed into combat zones. And I'm sure the list goes on.

This. All of this.

In the Vision Forum world (er the post Vision Forum world) women are reduced to pretty clothes and maybe singing. Basicly modestly dressed showgirls. Not even real showgirls, just playing at it. That is Christian fundamentalist feminity. Or I forgot, you can research stuff too.

TSFt9.jpg

The at-the-time heiress to the throne of England, in uniform and changing a tire? Gasp! Shock!

(I know it's only tangentially related, I just found it amusing :lol: )

I honestly thought that by now we'd hear some sort of silly "let's go fight ISIS!" rally from the WW2ers. On the one hand, it seems like a noble and heroic venture, saving all those Christians (even though they're the wrong kind) from the evil Muslims.

Get a grip! A guy could get hurt, even killed, doing that! Wars are for other people to fight.

A notable dearth of Botkin sightings in this year's photos. Interesting.

BTW - one can find plenty of the Phillips daughters' WWII cosplay photos under their "operationmeatball" tag on Websta.

Get a grip! A guy could get hurt, even killed, doing that! Wars are for other people to fight.

This is what's so creepy about this Vision Forum WWII commeration. It's SO romanticized that it doesn't seem as though they're making any sort of effort to remember that a lot of the men and women that they're play-acting experienced horrific loss, were tortured, became POWs, suffered from disease and famine, got frostbite or heat stroke, or died in a variety of God awful ways. There doesn't seem to be any acknowledgment that war is HELL--not big bands, smiling kids, and red lipstick. It was fucking awful for both sides of my family--and countless other families.

Also, it's deeply unsettling (not to mention pretty ironic, given the Vision Forum's creepy militarized version of Christianity and their attitudes towards women and reproduction) that they put up an enormous banner with the swastika over a building in the town square? :? Really, they could have done without that...

Aside from everything already mentioned and in spite of their weirdness about all this - I do love the fashions/hairstyles from back then.

post-11114-14452000905557_thumb.jpg

This is what's so creepy about this Vision Forum WWII commeration. It's SO romanticized that it doesn't seem as though they're making any sort of effort to remember that a lot of the men and women that they're play-acting experienced horrific loss, were tortured, became POWs, suffered from disease and famine, got frostbite or heat stroke, or died in a variety of God awful ways. There doesn't seem to be any acknowledgment that war is HELL--not big bands, smiling kids, and red lipstick. It was fucking awful for both sides of my family--and countless other families.

This photo was taken after the D-Day invasion... not a brass instrument or tube of red lipstick in sight, only wounded, exhausted and probably traumatized young men who just went through the wringer. You are most correct that the reality of war is a jarring contrast to the shiny, sanitized VF version of the era. :roll:

Ugh, I wish my grandpa were still around to scare their pants off.

He landed MONTHS after Dday and the beach was still red/pink it has changed the eco system of the beach forever due to bloodshed. He fought in a few small battles and was captured the second day of the Battle of the Bulge he spent nearly 6 months in POW camps. The Nazis would let each barrack split a red cross package meant for one soldier. They worked on the railroad in his camp, they had a strategy, you didn't work if you could manage another day without food and a likely beating as that was the punishment for refusal to work and occasional Russian roulette. I could go on and on about the horrors,

Huh, wow my grandpa's war experience wasn't too shiny happy either. Arrived at Pearl Harbor less than a week after the attack - bodies were still floating in the harbor and oil fires were still burning. He spent most of the war in New Guinea - got malaria twice and was finally sent home at death's door after contracting "jungle rot" (which is a form of gangrene). On the hospital ship he was given his last rites and it was assumed he wouldn't make it through the voyage.

Despite being young and healthy before the war he suffered health consequences the rest of his life. He suffered a great deal after the war until he died 60 years later.

Stupid bints - I wonder what these vets they perform for think?

Can the above picture be put on a spoiler. Bad taste doesn't even begin to cover it.

BTW, I realize ladyamylynn had good intentions. I mean no disrespect at all.

I'm not sure it needs a spoiler, it is mentioned two times before it is poster, and while I find it abhorrent, it isn't a graphic picture,

I'm amazed by how expensive those costumes look. These appear to be wealthy, or at least upper-middle class people putting considerable resources into playing dress up to romanticize a terrible, frightening time in human history. Because nothing says "Jesus!" and "Party!" like the near-end of civilization as we know it!

(and just in case DPIATR is reading ) :music-tool:

I'm amazed by how expensive those costumes look. These appear to be wealthy, or at least upper-middle class people putting considerable resources into playing dress up to romanticize a terrible, frightening time in human history. Because nothing says "Jesus!" and "Party!" like the near-end of civilization as we know it!

(and just in case DPIATR is reading ) :music-tool:

Yeah, to me the whole romanticizing of a terrible era in history is yet another example of Dougie's toolishness.

Doug Phillips always has been, is and always will be a tool.

God in Heaven, what a terrible, terrible idea.

FWIW, I personally find the idea of "reenacting" or "recreating" a time period from which there are still people alive who lived through it to be deeply...not offensive, exactly, but troubling. Maybe disrespectful? Like WWII reenactors or (Lord help us all) Vietnam-era reenactors. Just, why would you do that when there are people alive who would probably be offended by anyone "reenacting" or "recreating" just the pretty/romantic/unusual/whatever parts of an era while brushing off the problematic stuff?

My dad is a Vietnam-era vet (Marines 1970-1974, then Air National Guard from 1974 to 2010...now he can't seem to break out of the habit and has been in the Civil Air Patrol since his retirement :lol: ), and he would be super-pissed at the idea of some fool wearing a uniform that is 50ish years old but still perfectly recognizable as a US military uniform -- and at a casual glance can be mistaken for a modern uniform -- and wearing a rank (or worse, ribbons/medals) that the fool wearing the uniform had not earned by serving his or her country. It's one thing to reenact stuff from the Civil War or earlier eras -- we're what, five or so? generations removed from the Civil War and there is no one left to remember how it actually was. The uniforms are different enough that a person wearing one cannot be mistaken for a current member of the military at first glance, and so there is a tacit understanding that the rank worn is just as much part of that uniform but was not earned. But WWI reenacting still feels a little dicey to me, since there are people living who were directly affected by it -- they are grandparents or great-grandparents now, but at the time were children who might have lost their fathers or grandfathers. I guess that's my personal cutoff for "appropriate" timeframes for reenacting different eras.

Nota bene: I do Viking-era reenacting at the moment, and used to do late medieval/Renaissance reenacting. I also have friends who reenact French and Indian War, Rev War, and Civil War reenacting. So I get the whole "yay let's dress up funny/yay let's try to recreate X battle/yay let's use the manners of a different time period/yay experimental archaeology" thing...cause I live it too.

I feel like a recognition event is great, inviting vets to tell their stories, have exhibits, keep history alive.

But this is just self serving. I'm even more upset to know they put the flag on the town hall and then invited vets. They made it about them and their costumes, gross.

Honestly, I look at these VF-ish historical reenactments and think Fundie Meet Market. The "young people" costume themselves and pretend they're living in some gentler, more wholesome time, when the manly menfolk went off to war, and the womanly womenfolk stayed home and canned peaches - all under the watchful eyes of their chaperoning elders, of course.

Archived