IGNORED

Name your avatar?

Whoosh

This may be a really weird question, but I am wondering if people with images of people for their avatar would be willing to share who, exactly, it is? I am new to all this and struggle with most of them. I think I usually recognize JB, J'chelle, Jinger (which I still pronounce with a hard J and a hard G - like "jingoism" but with an -er"). I am starting to know Jill-rod by the spackle and of course I know That Girl and Buffy... Dang. I sound old.

If it redeems me in any way, I think those feet are Jessa's ;)

ETA - Jesus Pony, please report in. Please report in, Jesus Pony. Your help here could put an end to some unfortunate speculation and nightmares on my part.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My avatar is an old PC game trilogy called the Legends of Kyrandia. The jester, Malcolm is the antagonist in the first game, but the hero of the third. It's very amusing, and if you can find it online, I'd like to know.

My avatar is Leslie Vanderkellen from the 80s TV show Newhart (one of my favorite shows of all time, and a character I really liked). She was also majoring in religion at Dartmouth, so it seems somewhat apropos.

My avatar is Leslie Vanderkellen from the 80s TV show Newhart (one of my favorite shows of all time, and a character I really liked). She was also majoring in religion at Dartmouth, so it seems somewhat apropos.

I knew I recognized her! Such a shame she left that show so early. Not only was she great, but Stephanie was painful (though Michael may have been worth the trade for me). Thanks!

I knew I recognized her! Such a shame she left that show so early. Not only was she great, but Stephanie was painful (though Michael may have been worth the trade for me). Thanks!

Yay, someone else knows who she is!

Yeah, it didn't make sense to have two such similar characters with her and Joanne, but I was sad when she left.

Julie Andrews in her iconic role as Mary Poppins.

(Never just "Mary" always Mary Poppins.)

I have more than one avatar, but all Mary Poppins . . . . . .

My avatar is an old PC game trilogy called the Legends of Kyrandia. The jester, Malcolm is the antagonist in the first game, but the hero of the third. It's very amusing, and if you can find it online, I'd like to know.

I loved that game. You can download it at Good Old Games (gog).

https://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_kyrandia

My avatar is a cat.

A fascinated one, to be sure, but, just a random cat. I am thinking of changing to my actual, recently departed kitty because he was very handsome. :wink-kitty:

Shirley Jones, as Marian (The Librarian) Paroo in Meredith Willson's "The Music Man." Her character is the "Sadder But Wiser Girl" who can see bullshit coming from a mile away, and uses her research skills to confirm and name it. I channel her here.

[bBvideo 560,340:8v9gkcv3]

[/bBvideo]

"How can ignorance be compared to bliss?" :lol:

My avatar is the beautiful and talented actress Jeri Ryan in her role as the former Borg drone Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One on Star Trek: Voyager. Seven's birth name was Annika Hansen. Her parents were scientists studying the Borg and Annika was assimilated as a young child, grew up as a Borg drone, and was later taken out of the Collective by Voyager's Capt. Janeway and restored as much as possible to her human form. And what a form it is! :pink-shock: My favorite Star Trek character of all time. :worship:

End It Movement X - The End It Coalition is bringing awareness to sexual slavery and slavery. (and at least on this board I would forget where my own posts are if I didn't see the big red/white X on the screen).

secure.enditmovement.com/

Steve.

Maxwell?

Mine is a copy of Edvard Munch's Madonna I did many years ago. For me it means not seeing her as a sort of magical virginal unicorn but a woman made of blood, flesh, desires and complexities who want to live fully.

Mine is a naughty Lego centerfold. It's a nod toward the birds & bees talk that Boob had with Josh, and also relevant to Joshgate 1.0 and 2.0.

Might I point out the irony of Whoosh not having an avatar about which we can inquire? ;)

And even though I got a mention in the OP I want to play! Okay, most people know who Buffy is, but not why she's my perfect avatar.

Episode 1 she is dumped at Uncle Bill's and French grudgingly tries to guide her to the balcony to sit with the date du jour and he's quite cold and clearly seeing her an inconvenience not a person. Her response? "My name is Buffy." And when French doesn't give it to her and says, "It doesn't matter to me what your name is, you little clot" she bites him.

She knows she's not welcome in their bachelor pad (read boy's club) but she will be acknowledged. And when insulted she made it painful for he who was dismissive of her.

Throughout Episode 1 Uncle Bill tries time and again to con her into believing he's trying to get rid of her for her sake rather than his and she calls him out with stunning directness every time.

She does not placate liars. Great example that you can be absolutely adorable, a total bad-ass, and smart as hell all at the same time. She took devastating emotional hits, death of her parents, separated from her siblings and she's still fighting...wounded but dignity intact.

Why, yes I did read a LOT into one episode of one sitcom which aired before I was born, why do you ask? Pretty sure they didn't intend all the subtext I read into it, but such is art.

Tptb forced the adorable and very talented Anissa Jones to wear the pigtails and bind her breasts as she got older so she could remain the eternal child in the eyes of the public. She was humiliated by the requirement to carry a doll for appearances as a tween, but neither the studio or her own mother put her well being over profit. Her own childhood sacrificed at the alter of being the perfect little girl. She died at 18 - never had a real childhood and gone before she could live as an adult.

I watched Family Affair re-runs as a very little girl like it was my job and I remember crying and badgering my mom and much older sisters to make my pigtails like hers (mine always fell loose) and whenever they'd try I'd scream because it was too tight and it hurt. Literally we'd go through that scene once every week or so for a couple of years where I'd refuse to cooperate with anything until they would do my hair like that. I never got my Buffy-tails and when I read later that she and Cindy Brady said that style was very painful and they'd lose hair because the bands were so tight it made me pretty grateful to have a Mom that didn't have the heart to hurt me enough to get the look I so desperately wanted. I wanted to BE her when I was little...when I learned what it was really like for her it was one of those profound lessons in being careful what you wish for. I may have had messy ponytails that couldn't hold a curl, but I wouldn't make the trade for anything.

And I still have my Mrs. Beasley Doll*.

*although the headship makes her live in a box in the garage because when she was in the bedroom he said she was "creepy" and always looking at him. He wishes!

(Those of you who only know Buffy from later episodes where they make her all compliant and docile do yourself a favor and watch episode 1.)

My avatar is a photo I took of my sister's late cat Morgan at a family gathering. When my sister was doing pharmacy rotations during her last year of school Morgan stayed with me for several months and she managed to worm her way into my heart. Her passing affected my family almost as much losing human members of the family. I use Morgan as an avatar kitty in order to remember her.

mine is a steampunk version of my favourite dc villainess, harley quinn. :D

I really like this thread. Great idea Woosh!

I really like this thread. Great idea Woosh!

I know YOURS BemusedByFundamentalism!!! I stumbled upon this place 4 months ago now and have been reading fairly consistently for 2 months. Y'all can't slide a Dairy Queen by me any longer ;)

Archived