IGNORED

How to Help Your Brothers Have Adventures by the Botkinettes

Columbia

And I suspect the Botkin clan is having to change their message a bit to accommodate the times. Even in fundie circles, SAHD-dom and patriarchy are falling out of favor. It's been alluded to before, but there's lots of debate over legalism, leader "worship" and the like.

The old ideas of patriarchy are definitely being questioned, and I see that starting to soften in some quarters into something that looks a lot more like traditional complementarianism (not the Piper kind). The old Botkin messages don't all fit into that mold. Even in my former church, which I thought would never veer from the VF blueprint, I saw an outline from a parenting class that talked about SAHD-dom as "a path to which some daughters may be called before marriage" . I don't have much by way of older materials, but I do remember it being urged more strongly than that in the past.

A lot of other daughters of the movement are helping to cover up what their fathers once preached. Rebekah Wilson, Jasmine Baucham, Darby Sproul... They've all posted stuff like, "LOL I'm so not oppressed and my dad totally never said that."

does she have to extinguish every spark of spunk she has

Every spark of spunk she has. Umm, does daddy know they have spunk before marriage? :pink-shock: I thought getting some...spunk....before marriage was a big no-no for the fundies.

“The adventure for us was in adopting Isaac’s huge vision and doing whatever we could to make it a reality.†She says it was “no less exhilarating†than what Isaac’s team was doing in Egypt,

So is she trying to convince herself or convince her audience or is she just writing a book to make money and doesn't really care if it makes sense? Because no one on earth can really sell the idea to young, healthy people that "staying at home and doing the scut work is just as exciting as going into the world and having the adventure." It is something you might attempt if your child is physically handicapped ("We can't fly to Egypt and climb the pyramids, but we can study them and watch a video.") but no one should be told this just because they don't have a penis.

I wonder how bad their lives are now. Do they have doubts about wasting their talents or are they content? It isn't too late to bust loose. Maybe 10 years from now we will get a whole new type of book addressing the situation of permanent spinsterhood. "At 40 I realized that God did not plan for me to be a wife and a mother, instead he laid it on my heart to write the Safe Christian Travel book-- your guide to finding the most Christian places to dine, sleep, and explore!"

Safe Christian Travel book-- your guide to finding the most Christian places to dine, sleep, and explore!"

I actually think that might be pushing it. Cause that involves a degree of freedom. And might be fun. More like ...Middle Aged Daughter at Home- how to help your nephews with their visions.

I had a fairly marginal dad. But I have the worlds best brothers- especially the eldest. If I informed my brother that I was going to be his pit crew for the rest of my life he would think something was really really wrong. And he would think he failed me. Everything he did for me was to make me safe in this great big world. It would be such a slap in the face to him to shrug that off.

In other words, not only are they wasting their lives on this nonsense but they are wasting it for some pretty marginal men. For the millionth time I am thankful that my brothers actually loved me.

I actually think that might be pushing it. Cause that involves a degree of freedom. And might be fun. More like ...Middle Aged Daughter at Home- how to help your nephews with their visions.

I could see that being a new step in their ministry direction. They'll need to come up with something new soon.

I'm recalling a post from Lisa Pennington, talking her to her daughters about how they can play their required role in Patriarchy without, um, dying inside.

I think the term she used was, Without losing hope. There is something so idiotic about patriarchy, which encourages women to bear many children, develop no marketable skills and just assume that the breadwinner husband will

a) never die

b) never be disabled

c) never have a prolonged illness

d) never come out as gay

e) never have an affair

f) never be abusive

That is one heck of a gigantic life risk to take.

Their entire line of thinking made me throw up in my mouth a little. I suppose I should have just researched about India instead of going and spending 7 weeks immersed in the culture and traveling. I should be punished because one of the weeks I spent working in the western medical clinic alongside a doc from berkley who lives and works at the Buddhist monastery/college in the Tibetan protected settlements. I got dengue fever which put a damper on things and then my travel partner got sick and I spent a week traveling alone. According to the Botkinettes I should have stayed home and tried to find ways to make my dad's business better and help him with adventures. I just got married at 32 but lived on my own for 14 years prior to meeting my husband. Oh and I'm the primary breadwinner in our household. I have officially failed fundie femininity 101 and I do not feel an ounce of sorrow.

Fellow failure over here! I've traveled the world (numerous times by myself) and am also the primary breadwinner in my family. Despite all that, my evil feminist self has beaten the Botkinettes in the husband and children department. :lol:

You could add e) Never lose his faith. I wonder if Josh, for example, has lost his faith. I would bet that there have been many fundie men that wake up to the fact that they are saddled with a passel of kids, a crap job, and a doormat wife who can't help out financially and so they take off.

More like ...Middle Aged Daughter at Home- how to help your nephews with their visions.
Give them a few years and they'll be pushing a book of that title on their blog, titling their posts with things like "They Call Us MADH!"

Archived