IGNORED

Magnolia Pearl: What in the World?

GenerationCedarchip

1 hour ago, Howl said:

As they explained to us, the downstairs is a Magnolia Pearl installation (yes, they used that word) and then the upstairs is where the clothes are.

I'm confused. Is the downstairs where they make the clothes?

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Right now we're in the Big Bend area

Dear Rufus, once again please don't let Trump build his wall through Big Bend. :pray:

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Dear Rufus, once again please don't let Trump build his wall through Big Bend. :pray:

I saw a PERSIST  NO WALL banner on the way to Lajitas today.  It's very, very unpopular here. Lajitas is a community (barely) right on the Rio Grande.  Lajitas is famous for Clay Henry, a beer-drinking goat. 

22 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I'd have to see a label, but I'm guessing everything is made in a foreign country.  The building is a very large barn with a rural farm industrial vibe, and the bottom floor is a large open space with weird Magnolia Pearl-ish stuff-- like if one of those weird models from their catalog designed a living room. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

the store has interior photos on Google Street View.  there are kitchens on each floor, and a contraption next to the stairs that looks like a cross between an elevator and a guillotine; this can't possibly be for customers' use because it has no sides.  the store is as confusing as their fashion sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Howl said:

Lajitas is famous for Clay Henry, a beer-drinking goat.

Well, at least they didn't do anything really nutty like elect him mayor! :kitty-wink:

• Haha 4

I'm years late to this particular party and now I'm sad that I could have been enjoying the images of such high drifter fashion lo these many months.

The wedding video.... oh my. Bellatrix LeStrange as a blonde, overly tanned eccentric Southern matron.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

I've dipped here, now and again as it pops up.  Never stops being new!  Or, old.  Or whatever this is.  I find MP hysterical.   Like, if this is the look you are going for, at least do it yourself.  Those prices tho! :O.    Solid hustle,  if you can swing it.  

• Upvote 5

I sew for a clothing designer. She sometimes comes up with something outrageous and impractical. It's usually just a one off for something to catch people's eyes in the booth (she sells at artisan fair's all over the country). I feel bad for whoever has to sew that shit MP sells. She better pay well because they can't be proud of the stuff they make.

• Upvote 4

My mind, mercifully, erases all traces of Magnolia Pearl, and then  I trip over this thread again and. . . .dear Rufus. It's Grey Gardens 2.0.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 3

• 1 month later...

If I ever get anywhere near there I'll have to visit this store.  Not to buy the clothes (I have a thrift store, sandpaper, bleach and scissors here), but just to see it. 

I do like the store's aesthetic a bit. In a photo shoot sort of way, not as a home. 

Some of their stuff reminds me a lot of Val Zeitler's doll clothing and styling, which I mostly adore. It's hauntingly beautiful for a doll. A human? Not so much. 

And wtf is up with those prices? are they charging for the water costs to wash those $5 t-shirts until they were on the verge of disintegration? (Although I admit I once paid $45 for a pair of Val Zeitler's doll shoes. But they are well made, won't wear out, and fit the unusual foot size my largest girl doll has...)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

What is it?!  Depression Era Chic?!  That's just not right.  Not right at all!  Reminds me of the Men are Messy episode of I Love Lucy.  

Unknown.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

THE SPRING COLLECTION IS HERE!!!

The clothes are still hideous pieces of junk that hobos would be ashamed of. 

https://www.magnoliapearl.com/gallery/2018_spring/

Yesss! That means that it's time for another episode of Magnolia Pearl story time from  @AmazonGrace!  :dance:

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

What in the name of Rufus is this?

antique-french-linen-farm-dress-in-antiq

Is that white piece at the very end unhemmed?  How are you supposed to wash or dry clean your $600 linen "farm dress" if it's unhemmed? 

Spoiler

specialty-antique-french-work-apron-magn

Once again, who in the hell is paying $600 for an "work apron" that you can't wash or dry clean because it will disintegrate? 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

After viewing the spring collection, I'm glad i got a tetanus shot earlier this year.

5 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Once again, who in the hell is paying $600 for an "work apron" that you can't wash or dry clean because it will disintegrate? 

Who would buy a swimsuit that is dry clean only, and can't get wet?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/5708284/asos-is-selling-a-35-jewel-encrusted-swimsuit-that-you-cant-wear-in-water/

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

Random thought as I was scrolling through the MP site: 

you know how models aren’t necessarily “pretty”, often being striking, handsome, interesting, or something other, which is awesome IMO and something I’ve never thought about until MP. See MP puts genuinely “pretty” models in the got damn ugliest, most useless, degenerate, unsanitary, nastiest clothing ensembles I’ve EVAH seen in a truly intriguing, post modern depression era mock-up with a kooky 70s twist. And then my brain checked out. 

The fact that Magnolia Pearl exists truly pisses me off. People spending 100s of $ on items worth pennies when that money could be spent supporting any number of businesses that do good things and provide living wages AND make nice usable clothes is awful! Or you know buying food or just fucking donated to a charity of your choice or take a vacation, see the world and how other people live. It’s just such a waste! And I realize I’m being a bit hypocritical and spend $ on lots of useless shit and in no way do I want to be judged for it and 99% of the time I’m all like DO IT if it makes you happy. It’s just this crap is so pretentious and marked up so much more than its worth... it almost causes me real pain. Sorry for the BEC, I’m going to excuse myself to assess my life’s priorities and whether or not judging the fashion that is often judgmental fundamental Christian’s fundamentally fucked up fashion choices and finding it fundamentally fucked up is a worthy use of my time. 

- yours in not wearing items that are too fouled up for the rag bin. 

Also @JMarie hahahahaha wha???...my brain hurts. You’d think they could have invested in some water-proof glue for those “jewels” or you know actually sew them on. But I guess if people buy that crap and they don’t have to pay for better glue or for people to sew the “jewels” then I’m the wrong thinking one aren’t I? 

Edited by Godless Slūt
FU autocorrect I meant what I typed
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 6

The gallery photos are perilously close to this lange6a.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

7 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Is that white piece at the very end unhemmed?  How are you supposed to wash or dry clean your $600 linen "farm dress" if it's unhemmed? 

I think those strings on the bottom edge are the weft ends from changing to a new bobbin of weft. I can't comment for the sides though. And the over all design is just...ick.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, JMarie said:

that swimsuit looks uncomfortable; it looks like it's both squashing the bosom and falling off at the same time.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Hide contents

specialty-antique-french-work-apron-magn

and are they making these apron pieces en mass?  How?  As for the nightie, natural linen, doily and table cloth dress, I have all the supplies and will make you one for $50 and it will even come with a proper hem.  Clearly I need to give up my nursing day job.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, pook said:

and are they making these apron pieces en mass?  How?  As for the nightie, natural linen, doily and table cloth dress, I have all the supplies and will make you one for $50 and it will even come with a proper hem.  Clearly I need to give up my nursing day job.

Some of the pieces say they are antique. If they didn't apparently have a store I'd guess this was somebody's photography hobby or a performance art thing. 

Did you notice one of the pieces (that I now can't find) is a linen dress with cashmere patches? How is that supposed to ever wash? Although really, based on their photo shoots it looks like the less often it's washed the closer to the intended aesthetic it gets. 

I just looked through the new catalog photos again, trying to figure out what disturbs me about them, and I realized that they are giving me serious Deliverance/House of 1000 Corpses vibes, if you know what I mean. Like the girls are taking a quick break after feeding the hogs but then they have to go help Bubba clean the shotguns because uncle daddy says the law might show up on account of that hiker that went missing last month. 

Eta: OMG there is apparently a store in the next tiny town over from me that carries their stuff. I may have to stop by there some time and check it out because there is literally no one near there that would (or in most cases could) pay those prices for anything that is shown on their website. Maybe they just have jewelry or something. 

Edited by Alisamer
  • Upvote 8

3 hours ago, catlady said:

that swimsuit looks uncomfortable; it looks like it's both squashing the bosom and falling off at the same time.

We have a few weeks in the summer where our highs are at least 100F, so if I wore that swimsuit, I guess all of the jewels would fall off when I started sweating. The cats would sure have fun batting the jewels around! :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, pook said:

You should call your new business Stinkweed Gravel. :kitty-wink:

• Upvote 6

Magnolia Pearl photos trigger my asthma. I can smell the mildew.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6