IGNORED

Over 700 dead from a stampede during Hajj

Rachel333

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/24/middleeas ... ilgrimage/

When I first saw this story this morning the death count was at about 100, but it just keeps rising and at the time I'm writing this it's 717. This is an incredible tragedy and I just feel sick for everyone affected. It seems particularly horrible that it happened at Hajj, where pilgrims from all over the world have gathered to observe their religion. Because Hajj is a duty for all Muslims who are able to make the pilgrimage, a lot of people there are likely poor people who have saved their whole lives for this once in a lifetime trip.

This isn't the only Hajj stampede incident, though, and not even the most deadly. There have been a number of similar incidents and I really hope this can be managed better in the future so this doesn't keep happening.

How awful. Especially considering the fact that so many of those people likely had been scrounging and saving for years to go on the Hajj, and it's supposed to be a peaceful, happy experience where Muslims of all nations and colors can come together and be joined by their faith. Now 800 families won't be welcoming their mothers, fathers, siblings, aunts, or uncles home after an exciting trip. I really hope the Saudi government works on better crowd control procedures and building design; I get the impression that a lot of these tragedies during the Hajj are due to the facilities being built for pilgrimages before the advent of lower-cost air travel, which meant fewer people at any given time. Just terrible all around.

So sad. One of my co-workers goes on the Hajj every 5 years. Thankfully he wasn't there this year. His last trip was 2 years ago and it was interesting to learn about what he was doing.

How awful. Especially considering the fact that so many of those people likely had been scrounging and saving for years to go on the Hajj, and it's supposed to be a peaceful, happy experience where Muslims of all nations and colors can come together and be joined by their faith. Now 800 families won't be welcoming their mothers, fathers, siblings, aunts, or uncles home after an exciting trip. I really hope the Saudi government works on better crowd control procedures and building design; I get the impression that a lot of these tragedies during the Hajj are due to the facilities being built for pilgrimages before the advent of lower-cost air travel, which meant fewer people at any given time. Just terrible all around.

I get the sense that the Saudi government is only interested in protecting the high rollers- I mean the folks who have the money to shell out tens of thousands of dollars on lavish accommodation and VIP treatment. The cynic in me thinks that the government isn't worried about protecting the common folk. I read some articles about a year ago about the luxury accommodation that is being built around the Ka'aba, leading to many historical buildings nearby to be demolished to make room. I think that many developers have capitalized on this pilgrimage by turning it into a money grab.

I get the sense that the Saudi government is only interested in protecting the high rollers- I mean the folks who have the money to shell out tens of thousands of dollars on lavish accommodation and VIP treatment. The cynic in me thinks that the government isn't worried about protecting the common folk. I read some articles about a year ago about the luxury accommodation that is being built around the Ka'aba, leading to many historical buildings nearby to be demolished to make room. I think that many developers have capitalized on this pilgrimage by turning it into a money grab.

The Saudis tear down historical buildings on purpose because of their Wahabbi beliefs, as the fear is that historical places could become unauthorized pilgrimage spots and occasions of "idolatry":

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 28795.html

The disregard for Islam’s early history is partly explained by the regime’s adoption of Wahabism, an austere and uncompromising interpretation of Islam that is vehemently opposed to anything which might encourage Muslims towards idol worship.

In most of the Muslim world, shrines have been built. Visits to graves are also commonplace. But Wahabism views such practices with disdain. The religious police go to enormous lengths to discourage people from praying at or visiting places closely connected to the time of the Prophet while powerful clerics work behind the scenes to promote the destruction of historic sites.

However, I have no doubt that developers that are tight with the Saudi royal family are probably making a killing (literally, given the use of quasi-slave labor in Saudi Arabia) will all of the redevelopment going on. Also, the deliberate destruction of sites with historical value makes it difficult for archaeologists and secular historians to research the origins of Islam, which is another added bonus to this extreme iconoclasm.

When you go to Hajj, you get all of your affairs in order like paying all debts in the event you don't return. When you leave, you don't say a normal "Bye, see you later!" You leave and will return, Allah willing.

It's considered a blessing to die during Hajj, even if it's just on the plane ride to it.

I hope to complete Hajj with my husband as soon as I can. It's a life changing experience for everyone I know who has gone.

When you go to Hajj, you get all of your affairs in order like paying all debts in the event you don't return. When you leave, you don't say a normal "Bye, see you later!" You leave and will return, Allah willing.

It's considered a blessing to die during Hajj, even if it's just on the plane ride to it.

I hope to complete Hajj with my husband as soon as I can. It's a life changing experience for everyone I know who has gone.

Still tragic for their families.

This wasn't a natural disaster, or something that couldn't be prevented. Stampedes have happened a number of times before. The Saudis stress their role as location of Mecca, they benefit from it, so they have an obligation to ensure that the Hajj can be done safely.

Archived