IGNORED

Vegetarian Thanksgiving

BlackSheep

Attention vegetarians and vegans who love Thanksgiving as much as I do!

The Thanksgiving issue of Vegetarian Times arrived in my mailbox today. I've already dog-eared a bunch of pages. The pictures will make you hungry and the recipes will inspire you!

I think the best fake "turkey" is Q'uorn (http://www.quorn.us/food/cooking-from-s ... rky-roast/). It really tastes like turkey and it even looks like meat.

Q'uorn makes my daughter's favorite sausage and chik'n nuggets. She hates Field Roast, and only tolerates Morningstar.

She does like tofu and portabello mushrooms, though, which makes it easier for me (the cook) to manage multiple food preferences by making sauces separately, then adding a protein analog to hers and fulfilling DH/DS's wishes for MEAT.

A Brit here. What is the difference between Salisbury steak and a hamburger? We don't have Salisbury steak in the UK>

Salisbury steak is technically a hamburger patty without the bun, served with a brown sauce. In hawaii, they put it on rice and call it loco moco.

My husband has become an expert at grilling portobellos for me. He is very supportive of my veg lifestyle, and uses separate tongs, basting brush, plate, etc. at the grill. 8-)

• 1 month later...

A friend recommended Field Roast to me, & I was so happy to have found decent veggie dogs that actually taste good! :) 

To get back into Turkey Day discussion, though, I tried Gardein's lightly toasted turkey cutlets (that comes w/its own gravy) the other night, & they were quite tasty. I was thinking of bringing them to my mother's house as a main dish for myself (as she & the rest of the family are carnivores); we'll see what happens. ;) 

I think I'm going to make a mushroom kugel for my daughter's main / side for the rest of us. She loves mushrooms and it will keep well, since there's no way we'll finish it.

Or I might roast a couple portabello mushrooms and "stuff" them with stuffing.

I had thought about taking a Trader Joe's turkey analog to my daughter's, but I'm not going to.  I might suggest the Gardein cutlets though so she won't have leftovers to deal with.  Leftover Tofurky would just get thrown out.  Neither they nor their many (6) dogs would eat the leftover Tofurky.

Has anyone else tried the Imagine No-chicken broth?  I wish that my neighborhood market would carry it, but one fairly close by does.  It makes a pretty good fake chicken noodle soup.  I did tell my daughter about using it in her stuffing.

... Has anyone else tried the Imagine No-chicken broth?  I wish that my neighborhood market would carry it, but one fairly close by does.  It makes a pretty good fake chicken noodle soup.  I did tell my daughter about using it in her stuffing.

Thanks for the recommendation! Imagine makes my favorite vegetable broth, but I hadn't thought about trying their no-chicken broth in the stuffing. I imagine (ha!) it will be better than the vegie broth in a stuffing recipe.

Archived