IGNORED

Great British Baking Show

SpoonfulOSugar

That's fantastic JillyO! I will have to share with a pal o' mine from the Isle of Mann. We are always comparing baking methods/ingredients/names. (Castor sugar? Golden Syrup? Strong Flour?)   :my_biggrin:

Demerara sugar? Sultanas? Suet (yes, I know what it is, but I've only ever seen it sold as, or for making, bird food, though our butcher ultimately saved some out for us when he processed some beef)? And yes, courgettes, aubergines, coriander, etc. Since I married an Englishman I've often found myself looking for translations of our "common" language ;-)

I've been using my English mother-in-law's recipe for Christmas pudding every year since my husband and I were married 24-1/2 years ago. I've had to make multiple substitutions due to ingredients that just aren't available here. I had my version nailed (it features chocolate stout and dried cherries, among many of the ingredients that were included in my MIL's version), but then my daughter became a vegetarian, so now I'm experimenting with shortening and butter and baking powder to see if I can make that work. Apparently, their chemical differences compared to the suet are significant. Wish me luck, LOL.

Here are some links to some British food stores:

http://www.jollygrub.com

http://britishfooddepot.com

http://www.britishfoodshop.com

Jollygrub has various sugars and the British Food Shop has vegetarian suet!

I do love the unusual flavors of Walker's Crisps.  Haven't had anything like that since I was in Britain except maybe Trader Joe's Thanksgiving dinner chips.

Thanks, PennySycamore - I used to have two British food shops within 45 minutes drive, but they both closed. I've looked at the shops you mentioned but never ordered from them. I didn't even think of looking for vegetarian suet there, though. I did look at Amazon, but the price was pretty high, considering all the other expensive ingredients in one Christmas pudding. But thanks for the reminder - now that World Market isn't stocking our favorite English candy anymore (some new chocolate import law, apparently) we might make an order before next xmas.

On 12/13/2015 at 6:10 PM, Lynn18 said:

Has anyone been watching the "Holiday Baking Show"? It's not 'bad' (how can it be with Mary Berry judging?), but it feels rushed to me.

I wanted desperately to like the show.  I wanted it to inspire me, as the Brit version does.

I don't really.  It doesn't.

I don't understand why, but it's not translating well.

One of the reasons I love the original "Great British Baking Show" is that there is a lack of product placement. I don't know if that is because the show is produced by a public broadcasting network, or some other reason. I love to watch a variety of cooking shows, but many feel as if you are watching a glorified commercial.

For those who feel it is rushed.  Remember that on PBS we get almost an hour of show time.  But on US network tv we're probably getting about 43 minutes or so.  

• 2 weeks later...

We are building, and it kills me that we can't get the slide and hide ovens here.  I am so short, it would be heaven.  Bah.

We just binge watched the season with Kimberley, Ruby, and Frances.  Both the husband and I died everytime Ruby was on the screen.  The faces, the attitude, it just seemed just so bah.  We felt no pity for her.  She drove us insane.

Ruby was exhausting. 

We binge-watched seasons 3 and 5 over the past couple of days. Three is when the show really hit its stride, I think. James is still one of my favorites. I've got both of his books and they're very enjoyable--totally him.

i baked Alvin's manchego, prosciutto and balsamic onion quickbread this morning. I promised my daughter I'd save half of it for her tomorrow but it's going to be tough. It's VERY good.

i covet those ovens. I could definitely use one in my narrow galley kitchen.

Archived