IGNORED

Great British Baking Show

SpoonfulOSugar

Are there any other Anglophiles watching this series on PBS?

(I realize the Brits are well ahead, I think we are a year behind in the series, at least . . . . not sure).

I find this interesting for all sorts of reasons: desserts I've never heard of, techniques I'd like to try, Paul Hollywood . . . .

I just would like to be able to discuss it with people with similar interests.

Anybody out there?

(Tonight was episode three. I can't find which season this is anywhere, but it started with 13 bakers and includes Ali, Howard, Ruby, Deborah, Mark and Beca, if that helps narrow it down.)

• 3 weeks later...

I've watched all of them, through other resources, just as I've watched many of the Masterchef episodes from Great Britain, and *ALL* of the Masterchef episodes from Australia, from New Zealand, and from Canada.

I really enjoy the way the "foreign" cooking shows don't focus as much on competition, and how relationships between contestants are, for the most part, much more cordial than on their American counterparts. Some of them are much more educational, too, with masterclasses, etc.

But back to the Great British Bakeoff - very interesting to see the different desserts they make and the flavors they use.

The 2015 GBBO just finished!

If you have Facebook you can follow on there and you get recipes and wee stories etc.

Mary is awesome!

If you have Facebook you can follow on there and you get recipes and wee stories etc.

Mary is awesome!

I miss it already! I was delighted with the winner. Did you ever watch the BBC 2 show, Extra Slice? Jo Brand is so irreverently funny, she's a gas.

• 1 month later...

@Kak  Thanks for providing the series info - I hated to google because I really don't like being spoiled (and that's hard to avoid when you are two years behind.)

I've watched all of them, through other resources, just as I've watched many of the Masterchef episodes from Great Britain, and *ALL* of the Masterchef episodes from Australia, from New Zealand, and from Canada.

I really enjoy the way the "foreign" cooking shows don't focus as much on competition, and how relationships between contestants are, for the most part, much more cordial than on their American counterparts. Some of them are much more educational, too, with masterclasses, etc.

But back to the Great British Bakeoff - very interesting to see the different desserts they make and the flavors they use.

I totally agree - I am seriously enthralled by shows that really focus on cooking (MC on BBC-A was a must watch when it was on) and not so much on WIN.  I liked Monica demonstrating how to do a technical task, and I like learning about differences in cuisine.  I'm often googling during the show - although I haven't yet tried a Hollywood or Mary recipe.

Mary is awesome!

I don't know if I want to be spoiled for 18 months or a year or two . . . I have to think about that.

Good to see your chicken (sort of) - you should watch American "Chopped" and "Cutthroat Kitchen" - he is a (not well liked) semi-regular on those shows.

I wouldn't advise liking the facebook page if you're not watching it on British TV. I liked the page and was watching the 2015 show a month or so late and it totally spoiled me ;) But yes, I guess when you're up to date it's very fun, they have pictures and extra titbits of info.

Mary Berry RULES!

LOL - don't hold back there, chica.  Tell us how you really feel?!!

If anyone has any suggestions for a Berry or Hollywood recipe to start with, I'm open.  

I wish those Neff Slide n Hide oven that the use on the GBBO were available in the US.  I think it's genius how the oven door slides under the oven.  Most wall ovens were not made for us short folk with correspondingly short arms.

My husband really wishes we had a Slide 'n' Hide oven door, too. I'd be happy to clean the oven if I could reach further than 2" into it! So he's currently forced to do the dreaded job. Poor baby ;-)

I saw an ad on Food Network for a "Holiday Bake Off" with Mary Berry as the judge. It looks like the set up (tent, etc.) from TGBBS, but all Americans. They were showing all holiday type desserts.  I recall they tried a similar format once before, but Americans didn't go for it. Everyone was too nice. This new show will be interesting.

They have a season on Netflix! I watch at least one episode a week on the treadmill. I was worried I wouldn't get as into another season with different people, but I was so wrong :) 

I saw an ad on Food Network for a "Holiday Bake Off" with Mary Berry as the judge. It looks like the set up (tent, etc.) from TGBBS, but all Americans. They were showing all holiday type desserts.  I recall they tried a similar format once before, but Americans didn't go for it. Everyone was too nice. This new show will be interesting.

First episode is November 30th, ABC, 10 pm ET.  Johnny Iuzzuni (sp?) is also judging.  It's only a four week special.

I have to say I have only watched GBBO for comic relief and for sport relief.  But I have loved every episode.  There is something entertaining to me about watching Joanna Lumley, David Mitchell, Warwick Davis, Jennifer Saunders  et al, doing something that takes them out of their comfort zone. It's just fun to watch and it makes me feel "well if THEY can make choux pastry then maybe I can give it a whirl (I still haven't, but I plan on it!!) 

Bread baking geek here. My daughter introduced me to this show and I absolutely adore it—we watch the UK version. Somehow all of the episodes (including the latest series, the Master Classes and the specials) miraculously appeared on my computer and I have no idea how. Honest! It's such a delight to watch talented people being so freaking NICE. Love Mel and Sue, love Mary, and even Paul has his moments. I've also added a whole bunch of interesting things to my baking repertoire. And I've bought a ton of GBBO related books from presenters and contestants (James's bread book is particularly good) and purchased more gadget-y stuff from Amazon UK and Ebay UK than I'd like to admit—I swooned over my Mermaid milk loaf tin. 

I knew I was completely besotted when my daughter pointed out to me that I've recently been saying I have to PROVE my bread dough rather than PROOF it. 

When daughter comes to stay for the weekend, we always do a marathon catch-up with some of our favorite shows—Pointless and Only Connect being two new faves.

I LOVE this show. I'm actually a little disappointed that they're dumbing it down for American audiences for a 4 week run. I love Mary Berry though, so I will watch! I have rewatched all of the Netflix episodes and love the terminology. Love the term "PROOF"

I took a liking to this show. It's nice to real people on tv without manufactured drama or producer manipulation.

Archived