IGNORED

Old Feminists Texts

roddma

I have been reading 'Women, Church, and State' for a while now. I glanced at the first Chapter of"The Women's Bible", by Elizabeth Caddy Stanton. I want to read more of it. It challenges the belief women are subservient and analyzes each book of the Bible.

It is now generally conceded that some one (nobody pretends to know who) at some time (nobody pretends to know exactly when), copied two creation myths on the same leather roll, one immediately following the other.

Of course, the 'ebil' Margaret Sanger wrote several books, including "The Pivot of Civilization:. I have a couple of her books on Kindle.

I have read a book from the 70s I think, which is a deconstruction of a theatre play aimed at school kids. (it about a kid which is untidy,and therefore unliked but once she is tidy she is the worlds best friend incl teacher question that vere in the direction of shaming the untidy one and praising the tidy one. Also it shows the views of the little kids(girls and boys) and you can already see the answers of boys(10 year) old from average families and schooling and from reformed schools.

Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science, is another interesting case as she was both fundie and feminist (in many ways, despite complementarianism). One of these days I'll get around to reading Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures,

I totally misunderstood the title of this topic and thought it would be about an old lady who is also a feminist trying to text for the first time :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I totally misunderstood the title of this topic and thought it would be about an old lady who is also a feminist trying to text for the first time :lol:

LOl Maybe I should have said 'books'. I have a copy of Eddy's book somewhere.

This got me thinking of what Paul wrote on women.

Some of what Paul is credited with writing might not have been written by him after all. Paul had worked with early female Christian figures - such as Prisca, Phoebe, Junia, Chloe, and so on. Paul had recommended Phoebe to the Roman Christians and had named her as a deacon as he he had named his hanger on Timothy. Paul did not make any distinctions between the two when it came to their rank. Because of this some experts have a hard time believing that the same Paul who worked closely with these women also wrote about women staying silent in the church. Some leading experts on Paul - including Rev Dr Jerome Murphy-O'Connor - believed that Paul didn't write that about women staying silent but someone else did and it wound up getting tied to Paul.

Some of what he wrote also went on a trip through several different languages before winding up in our everyday language. Once back in my Catholic days I went to a Mass and the priest talked about Ephesians 5:22-30 (Wives, submit to your own husbands...) He was of the opinion that the passage wasn't very well translated from Greek to Latin to later languages (German, English, etc). Also there was verse 21 that's left out so often by those who like to thump the bible, "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Plus many of these people who like to expound on Paul's words here forget that there's some 20 centuries separating us from Paul. At the time most societies treated women as livestock and property so the idea of men being required to love the women they married was really radical.

Furthermore, the 'women staying silent' came about because men and women sat on opposite sides of the building and shouted questions.

Archived