IGNORED

Jinger and Lawson courting?

SPHASH

The way it happened:

The girls were talking about their ideal guys

Jinger said something about preferring her future husband lived in a city. Jill quickly "recovered" for her by stating that she'd be content with whatever she got, and Jinger half heartedly agreed. People attacked Jill for it, but I've always seen that as Jill trying to protect Jinger; you can't have a family member not tow the party line in that house.

Michelle made a comment a month or few later about how Jinger didn't mean a city like NYC, she meant a place that was 15 minutes away from a Walmart.

Do they even hear themselves? They talk about "leave and cleave" and claim that the kids become adults when they get married, but they clearly want to keep them under their control even after they're married.

Why is it so terrible that Jinger wants to live in a city? Why are they do compelled to shut that down? I know she's supposed to accept God's plan and all, but is it really so awful that she has a desire to live in a certain type of place? I'm sure they would all just nod approvingly if she said she hoped to marry someone who wanted to live near the TTH.

I'm sure they were okay with Josh and Anna moving to DC because it was such a high profile job and made them look sooooo successful. But I still think JB must have blown a gasket when Jill told him they were going to South America.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure they were okay with Josh and Anna moving to DC because it was such a high profile job and made them look sooooo successful.

I seem to recall both JB & J'Chelle being pretty against it at the time. Remember J'Chelle's face??? Knowing what we know now, it was more of a "oh shit, nothing better get out!" face if anything.

Pa Keller was all for the move if I remember correctly.

The way it happened:

The girls were talking about their ideal guys

Jinger said something about preferring her future husband lived in a city. Jill quickly "recovered" for her by stating that she'd be content with whatever she got, and Jinger half heartedly agreed. People attacked Jill for it, but I've always seen that as Jill trying to protect Jinger; you can't have a family member not tow the party line in that house.

Michelle made a comment a month or few later about how Jinger didn't mean a city like NYC, she meant a place that was 15 minutes away from a Walmart.

Here's the interview for anyone who hasn't seen it or doesn't remember.

youtube.com/watch?v=pkfNkqgLRU8

It's at about 45 seconds.

On a wedding episode, it would be impossible to not show the father of the bride. If nothing else, they'll show him walking her down the aisle.

Nah, it would be easy. You don't show the entire wedding from start to finish. With the right camera angle, you can get a shot of Jinger walking down the aisle where you can tell she's accompanied but not see JB's face. Or you just show her starting to walk down the aisle from the back. There are a lot of ways to work around JB.

I'm guessing he wouldn't agree to any of it if he knew ahead of time that he and DQ wouldn't be shown. And it would be odd to show a wedding but not show the bride's parents but everyone watching would know why they weren't being shown.

In the finale "tell-all" Josh predicted someone other than Josiah was going to into a courtship, he cued that it was either Jana or Jinger. Now the argument is that was that just or drama for the upcoming season or a kernel of truth.

In the finale "tell-all" Josh predicted someone other than Josiah was going to into a courtship, he cued that it was either Jana or Jinger. Now the argument is that was that just or drama for the upcoming season or a kernel of truth.

Probably (I'm hoping?) both of them have someone that they're interested in. Doesn't mean that it'd work out to JB's satisfaction.

I don't know. He said at the end of season finale in 2014 I think that Jana would make a really good wife which started speculation that she was courting which turned out to be nothing. Don't think he was referring to anything in particular.

Honestly I don't see Lawson getting married anyway. He seems to enjoy being the hot fundie guy and being swooned at

Yep. I'm not sure that Lawson is capable of loving anything as much as his own purty face.

Why is it so terrible that Jinger wants to live in a city? Why are they do compelled to shut that down? I know she's supposed to accept God's plan and all, but is it really so awful that she has a desire to live in a certain type of place? I'm sure they would all just nod approvingly if she said she hoped to marry someone who wanted to live near the TTH.

I wondered about that too when I saw that episode. My guess is that they see cities as too worldly.

I think their version of homesteading comes into it a bit as well. Living well outside of cities means lower property costs and larger lots, which means space for more TTHs, and some room to "garden" (the Duggers sort of garden, they mention having one now and then but we never see them working on it). So saying you want to live in a city is like saying you want to live in a smaller home, have fewer kids, and regularly encounter people different from yourself. Can't have that...

I wondered about that too when I saw that episode. My guess is that they see cities as too worldly.

I think their version of homesteading comes into it a bit as well. Living well outside of cities means lower property costs and larger lots, which means space for more TTHs, and some room to "garden" (the Duggers sort of garden, they mention having one now and then but we never see them working on it). So saying you want to live in a city is like saying you want to live in a smaller home, have fewer kids, and regularly encounter people different from yourself. Can't have that...

Three other possible reasons:

-Jinger may have actually meant she just wanted to be near a Walmart and may have been annoyed or distressed that others interpreted what she said as meaning she wanted to live in a huge city, in which case her family isn't 'shutting her down' but rather backing her up.

-In Christianity in general but especially in fundamentalism, a huge emphasis is placed on being content, especially if you're a woman. Jinger and her family would not want her to be seen as lacking contentment, patience, humility, etc.

-They are worried that potential suitors who aren't from a city are going to reject Jinger because they think she'll only want to marry a city guy. They want to make sure that eligible young men know that she'll be happy anywhere within a reasonable drive to a Walmart.

Three other possible reasons:

-Jinger may have actually meant she just wanted to be near a Walmart and may have been annoyed or distressed that others interpreted what she said as meaning she wanted to live in a huge city, in which case her family isn't 'shutting her down' but rather backing her up.

-In Christianity in general but especially in fundamentalism, a huge emphasis is placed on being content, especially if you're a woman. Jinger and her family would not want her to be seen as lacking contentment, patience, humility, etc.

-They are worried that potential suitors who aren't from a city are going to reject Jinger because they think she'll only want to marry a city guy. They want to make sure that eligible young men know that she'll be happy anywhere within a reasonable drive to a Walmart.

Oh I'm pretty sure it is non of these, and exactly to do with the family making sure she is close and under daddy's control. :pull-hair: :angry-banghead: :pull-hair: :angry-banghead:

Most people would but the Duggars? Nah, they would throw JInger under any bus, he'll, JimBob would drive his own bus over her after Mechelle trips her. No, they would love to just scrunched up mechelles face and talk about this sweet and precious time where the kids are looking for gods plan for them. They would also be so glommed onto the Bates' current good fortune and making sure everyone know how long they have known the Bates and how they have just been waiting and praying for a marriage.

OK. I am a n00b, but I am wondering 2 things:

Is Mechelle pronounced ME-shell or muh-shell. (I pronounce her name mis-shell in my head because that's how it's pronounced regionally where I am). I know I am missing a reference to the show.

And can someone hook me up with the behind-the-scenes on DQ as a nickname for Mechelle? I totally get that it is (along with J'chelle). I've searched it, and I can't find it.

As for the courtship speculation: carry on. Enjoying the discussion. :popcorn2:

It's "ME-shell" the implication being that she's self-centred, so everything is always "me me me".

DQ = Dairy Queen. Apparently (in one of the early specials, maybe?) Michelle called herself the dairy queen.

It's "ME-shell" the implication being that she's self-centred, so everything is always "me me me".

DQ = Dairy Queen. Apparently (in one of the early specials, maybe?) Michelle called herself the dairy queen.

LOL! OK. I am now up to speed. Thank you so much.

I would never refer to myself as the Dairy Queen. It has so many "ewww" connotations. :doh:

I would never refer to myself as the Dairy Queen. It has so many "ewww" connotations. :doh:

Ha, no problem. There are so many different nicknames flying around here, though most of them are pretty self-explanatory. But I remember I didn't know what TTH stood for for the longest time. It's 'Tinker Toy House' but I thought it was 'Tater Tot House'! :lol:

Do they even hear themselves? They talk about "leave and cleave" and claim that the kids become adults when they get married, but they clearly want to keep them under their control even after they're married.

I'm sure they were okay with Josh and Anna moving to DC because it was such a high profile job and made them look sooooo successful. But I still think JB must have blown a gasket when Jill told him they were going to South America.

Because Gothardism doesn't believe in "leave and cleave." From the accounts I've read of people who have escaped, you're not even supposed to make decisions as married adults without first talking to BOTH sets of parents about it, first, and getting their blessings.

Plus, big cities = liberals and gayz and satan worship. Just look at Josh. He went to DC and signed up for a second AM account. Only Satan's playground would make someone stupid enough to set up two accounts with the same website instead of just changing your address on the first account.

Ha, no problem. There are so many different nicknames flying around here, though most of them are pretty self-explanatory. But I remember I didn't know what TTH stood for for the longest time. It's 'Tinker Toy House' but I thought it was 'Tater Tot House'! :lol:

HA! I thought it stood for The Tontitown House. :shrug: :lol: :lol: Thanks for clearing that up.

I think those ARE the connotations she was referring to when she called herself that.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't about what fast food she likes... :wink-kitty:

If I remember correctly, DQ came about soon after Josie was born. Michelle was pumping a lot of milk and freezing it. There was a shot of her putting some into a freezer and she laughed and said "I am the dairy queen!"

If I remember correctly, DQ came about soon after Josie was born. Michelle was pumping a lot of milk and freezing it. There was a shot of her putting some into a freezer and she laughed and said "I am the dairy queen!"

Yes and it was in the rental house when they all moved close to Josie's hospital. When I saw that episode I gagged at her DQ response.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived