IGNORED

Titus2's Steve Maxwell: Seriously Anti-Fun

SPHASH

Yeesh, Bible classes are a huge no-no in Maxhell. Steve says learning about the bible from anyone but your own gut intuition is the same as eating pre-chewed food. Millennia of scholarship is nothing but diseased backwash to him. And age separated classes are even worse: children will be out from the spiritual authority of their father and might develop opposite-sex friendships, which could lead to crushes, which could lead to hand-holding and fornication.

I know we've discussed this ad nauseum, but the way you succinctly summed up his beliefs really shows how his beliefs are so cult-like. He is SO afraid of someone presenting conflicting thoughts to his family. He's deathly afraid that they will realize that there's other valid ways of thinking and living.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I gracious and kind with others, especially my wife and children? It takes so little to cause a deep hurt. May I build them up, not tear them down.

Well Steve, if you speak to your children and wife the way Mr. Moody does.....You need some serious work in this department.

For people who haven't read the Maxwell blog over the years, it is the isolation, rigidity and sheer repetitiveness of their lives that is so stultifying. No wonder they have races to see how fast they can unpack. It makes a change from the 999 times they have unpacked before, and it is at least something different to do.

You also have to dig back through the blog to see how the Maxwell parents systematically remove things that the family enjoys from their lives. It's as though life in Maxhell is a year-long Lenten fast!

Yeah, I haven't really gone far enough down the rabbit hole to really see that for myself. I guess I just don't expect the Maxwells to be extremely anti-fun because my family isn't.

In addition, I think his control issues, increasing paranoia, and general terseness and cantankerousness, are beginning to annoy the very people who might actually agree with his message these days.
I haven't been exposed to those traits first-hand, so I haven't been able to take them into account. And not being a long-time reader of the Maxwell's blog, I'm fairly new to thinking of them as real people. I've heard a few of Steve's recordings but I haven't really listened to him. (The Botkins are the ones I've listened to the most, hence my username/avatar joke. Which is actually a multilevel reference...)
Reading through the archives' date=' there seem to be quite a few members who came here from families that were one-time followers of the Maxwells. On the Gentle Christian Mothering Forums, there are also several threads where Christians of different stripes discuss the Maxwells and there does seem to be a strong contingent of families who choose to "eat the meat and spit out the bones" from the various Christian Guides To Life that are around.

And looking at Steve's new post, when I read it I just see "It's easy to hurt people with your words, take care to be kind and gracious." And then I look at the snippet of scripture he's quoted

I'm leery about people taking stuff out of context, so my instinct is to look a little further. And I'll look in the Amplified Bible, which I like to use sometimes to find nuances simpler translations might not make clear:

So it's not really about your words, they're just an indicator. You can't change yourself by changing your words, Steve! If that's what you're trying, maybe that's why you find it so easy to cause deep hurt to your wife and children, Steve (to read between the lines).

I find activities with my family to be plenty of fun, and I don't really see the need for an upper age limit on enjoyment of picnics, barbecues and visits to the zoo. The last time I went to a zoo was with a group of co-workers, to celebrate the launch of a software product. I also find "normal young people would be out having a social life" to be a bit presumptuous. As a dedicated introvert, I prefer to avoid that sort of thing. But on the other hand, I don't identify as normal, so I'm clearly not a counterexample. ;)I think that Steve must have a far narrower idea of what activities can bring glory to God than I do. And the "primarily dedicated" line is worrisome to me too. Surely most things only incidentally glorify God. So to me, that argument is something that sounds nice at first glance, but when I look deeper it has lots of room for being entirely unreasonable and controlling and authoritarian and (*gasp*) legalistic.Taking turns reading parts of books together is just something my family does. Lately we've been doing some of Josephus's Wars of the Jews, and Isaac Newton's Observations upon the Prophecies of Daniel, and the Apocalypse of St. John. I've never really thought of it as being forced. Anyhow, I guess your preconceptions of who is able to join FJ are limited.
I think an important consideration is that people tend to fit what they hear into their own worldview. For example, my father's response to the Steve-post that started this thread was to "agree completely" - but the message he agreed with was that it's a bad idea to train children to by solely motivated by fun. He would never conclude that learning ought not be fun, or should be intentionally made less fun, and neither would I, so the natural result is to not think that Steve would say that either. If you take his words at face value without the context of other things he's said and done, it does look like he's just saying "requiring that learning MUST be fun is problematic".

Taking turns reading parts of books together is just something my family does. Lately we've been doing some of Josephus's Wars of the Jews, and Isaac Newton's Observations upon the Prophecies of Daniel, and the Apocalypse of St. John. I've never really thought of it as being forced. Anyhow, I guess your preconceptions of who is able to join FJ are limited.

No, my preconceptions of who buys into the Maxwell cult machine are limited. Any and all may troll join FJ.

No, my preconceptions of who buys into the Maxwell cult machine are limited. Any and all may troll join FJ.
Oi, the only Maxwell book I've read personally is the Conversationalists one, and all I really remember is how dull it was. It's one of those books which takes a whole chapter to make a point that's only worth a paragraph, and it was padded out to fill out a whole book to try to justify the sale price. It certainly did nothing to help me be a conversationalist, nor did it prepare me to teach anyone else to be a conversationalist.

Say, is scheduling a weekly time to talk with each child a Maxwell thing?

Yeesh, Bible classes are a huge no-no in Maxhell. Steve says learning about the bible from anyone but your own gut intuition is the same as eating pre-chewed food. Millennia of scholarship is nothing but diseased backwash to him. And age separated classes are even worse: children will be out from the spiritual authority of their father and might develop opposite-sex friendships, which could lead to crushes, which could lead to hand-holding and fornication.

And sex leads to *shudder* *gasp* DANCING!!!!

And dancing once led me to buy a short black miniskirt covered in sequins. Admittedly I wore it with back tights underneath, but still....

Steve has a point, y'all. ;)

I know we've discussed this ad nauseum, but the way you succinctly summed up his beliefs really shows how his beliefs are so cult-like. He is SO afraid of someone presenting conflicting thoughts to his family. He's deathly afraid that they will realize that there's other valid ways of thinking and living.

"Could Lead to Hand-Holding & Fornication" is our newest post count title! :dance:

You also have to dig back through the blog to see how the Maxwell parents systematically remove things that the family enjoys from their lives. It's as though life in Maxhell is a year-long Lenten fast!

I have never thought of it like that before, but that's true! If they start eating their meatless burritos on Fridays then maybe the rumors will start about the Steve being super secret Catholics.

Extra Catholic ...who volunteers for extra Lenten obligations?

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously, Steve, things must be getting tight in the Maxhell accounts department, because you are shilling your stock hard in this week's email. Strangely, the product links are removed from the website posts of the same, which I guess you hope makes you appear to be less money-grubbing than you really are.... ;)

HEART ATTACK

This was posted on October 21, 2015 by Steve Maxwell.

I’ve heard it said that the first symptom of heart disease many experience is a fatal heart attack. Seven days is all it takes to be in the ground and having our things being given away. I doubt the guys who have a fatal heart attack were expecting it.

When I talk to the lost, they often say they don’t think much about dying and having to face eternity. But do I ever think about it? It is a good thing for everyone to consider. We encourage the lost to prepare for eternity by making a decision for Jesus Christ, but how am I preparing my family in case I “leave” sooner than expected?

What am I doing to leave my house in order should I be taken from this earth early? Am I working to eliminate debt so my wife won’t be left holding the “bag”? How active am I in discipling my spiritual heritage in Jesus Christ? Are my children committed to the Lord Jesus and walking with Him?

Additionally, the quality of care I’m taking of my earthly temple can have a lot of bearing on when I depart.

“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” (2 Timothy 4:7)

Steve

Can you guess the products that featured in the email, Free Jingers? :D

Seriously, Steve, things must be getting tight in the Maxhell accounts department, because you are shilling your stock hard in this week's email. Strangely, the product links are removed from the website posts of the same, which I guess you hope makes you appear to be less money-grubbing than you really are.... ;)

HEART ATTACK

I’ve heard it said that the first symptom of heart disease many experience is a fatal heart attack. Seven days is all it takes to be in the ground and having our things being given away. I doubt the guys who have a fatal heart attack were expecting it.

When I talk to the lost, they often say they don’t think much about dying and having to face eternity. But do I ever think about it? It is a good thing for everyone to consider. We encourage the lost to prepare for eternity by making a decision for Jesus Christ, but how am I preparing my family in case I “leave” sooner than expected?

What am I doing to leave my house in order should I be taken from this earth early? Am I working to eliminate debt so my wife won’t be left holding the “bag”? How active am I in discipling my spiritual heritage in Jesus Christ? Are my children committed to the Lord Jesus and walking with Him?

Additionally, the quality of care I’m taking of my earthly temple can have a lot of bearing on when I depart.

“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” (2 Timothy 4:7)

Steve

Lessee, maybe a heart monitor, an exercise machine, and a cookbook of low-cholesterol meals?  That's it, isn't it?

Whaddaya mean "NO"?!?!?

HEART ATTACK

Blah, Blah, Blah, Death, Blah, Blah, Blah, Jesus, Blah, Blah, Blah Death, Blah, Blah, Blah, Buy Our Stuff, Blah, Blah, Blah, Death.

1)  Keeping Your Children's Hearts

2)  Preparing Sons

3)  Trust eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen Obey

(#3 is not real guess, just been too long since I could type that :) )

There you have it folks, never,  EVER stop Steve Maxwell and ask for directions if you are lost...:my_biggrin:

And dancing once led me to buy a short black miniskirt covered in sequins. Admittedly I wore it with back tights underneath, but still....

Steve has a point, y'all. ;)

Dancing led me to consider taking up pole fitness classes. STEVE WAS RIGHT!

HEART ATTACK

Blah, Blah, Blah, Death, Blah, Blah, Blah, Jesus, Blah, Blah, Blah Death, Blah, Blah, Blah, Buy Our Stuff, Blah, Blah, Blah, Death.

2)  Preparing Sons

Not Trust Eend Obey, but a random plug for the new Moody book!

Also, a link to the sign up page for the 8 day extreme fasting fast for Jesus:

Seriously Fast - Saturday, November 7th, through Sunday, November 15th

I commit to fasting from food and caloric drink from the evening (after dinner, day before) to day following my fast in the morning.
* Required
First Name *

Last Name

Email Address *

Email address again to confirm *

Dates you will be fasting
Examples, All, or Sat. Nov. 7th, or both Saturdays, etc.
Reason for fasting (what I will pray for you)

Is this why Christians fast these days, in order to get something from God in return?!

HEART ATTACK

2)  Preparing Sons

I commit to fasting from food and caloric drink from the evening (after dinner, day before) to day following my fast in the morning.
* Required
First Name *

Last Name

Email Address *

Is this why Christians fast these days, in order to get something from God in return?!

Weren't ebil Catholics those who did such ebil things?

Y'all, is there an anti-fast coming up? I'd like to get it on the FJ calendar :D 

There  most definitely is!  A whole week of fun.

HEART ATTACK

2)  Preparing Sons

* Required
First Name *

Last Name

Email Address *

Weren't ebil Catholics those who did such ebil things?

Yeah - although in my case it's always giving up swearing for lent and lasting about 4-8 hours.  Kinda.  lol

Speaking to this though I had an older woman in my extended family who was absolutely lovely and kind - she was a devout Catholic but never preached or judged...she said everyone finds their own path.  Anyway, I thought she didn't like candy because she never touched it all the years I knew her.  When i was an adult I finally found out why...she loved it and it was her weakness.  Back when her husband was away in the war she promised God if she brought him home safe she'd never eat another piece of candy.  So many people make those deals...but she is the only one I ever knew who stuck to it for 40+ years.

And she'd never have mentioned why - we found out from her sister who knew about it from the time.  She never tried to talk to anyone about her faith...she just lived a good life because she was a good person and not because of the rules.  After spending time with her you just wanted to do more for other people and try to be kinder, without really knowing why.

Which leads me to wonder how the Maxwells can think they are doing good in the world if they are only preaching to the choir and themselves?  Wouldn't it be better to be out there making the world a better place, if they think what they do accomplishes that?

Y'all, is there an anti-fast coming up? I'd like to get it on the FJ calendar :D 

Please complete the form below if you intend to participate! :my_smile:

Snarklicious Anti-Fast - Saturday, November 7th, through Sunday, November 15th

I commit to feasting on food and caloric drink from dawn to dusk.
* Required
First Name * Alessi

Last Name

Email Address * alessithefeastress@freejinger.org

Email address again to confirm *alessitwicefeastress@freejinger.org

Dates you will be feasting

All week, abstaining only to sleep.
Reason for feasting (what I will pray for you)

For a fulsome curvacious belly and a satisfied heart. Praise be to Bacon!

Fasting Matthew 6

16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

They always screw up the bolded part.....

Soooooo...should I put it on the calendar for the whole first week of November?! I haven't participated in one yet, but I'll count my one weekly cheat meal in honor! 

I can even put the registry in the description :D 

Oooh, that's when NaNoWriMo starts. This is a great excuse for me to stuff my face with junk and fuel some late night writing sessions. :pb_biggrin:

Archived