IGNORED

Titus2's Steve Maxwell: Seriously Anti-Fun

SPHASH

Man, I don't know if anyone grinds my gears quite like Steve fucking Maxwell.

I teach high school so I could talk for days as to why learning should be compelling, contextualized and yes - fun!

Steve Maxwell is That Guy who got picked last in gym class once, so now nobody should play sports. He's That Guy who got rejected by a girl he liked, so all women should have to submit to their husbands or fathers 100% of the time. He's That Guy whose wife was too depressed to make homeschooling - her main job for 30 years! - effective or interesting for her kids, so obviously learning should just never be fun.

Better tell everyone to knock it off with those Game Nights and Pie Nights at the nursing home. Prosthelytizing shouldn't be fun, Stevie. I mean, do those people even know where they're going when they die?! :naughty:

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what if a kid finds a particular subject interesting and, as a result has (gasp) fun reading about it?

It would probably be considered an idol, like Diet Pepsi.

Steve Maxwell is That Guy who got picked last in gym class once, so now nobody should play sports. He's That Guy who got rejected by a girl he liked, so all women should have to submit to their husbands or fathers 100% of the time. He's That Guy whose wife was too depressed to make homeschooling - her main job for 30 years! - effective or interesting for her kids, so obviously learning should just never be fun.

U just described Steve to a tee. Although I think he was picked last a lot.

:whistle: I'm sorry - I just have to say this:

In every job that must be done

There is an element of fun

You find the fun and snap, the job's a game

And every task you undertake

Becomes a piece of cake

A lark

A spree

It's very clear to see

That a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down

Learning can and should be fun.

That's all.

Just a random thought: I would love to have a dedicated thread for the deconstruction of the Steve Maxwell Seriously posts. At the moment we pretty much do that every time, but the comments get added into whichever Max thread is on going at the time. If we separated them out, it could make a good resource for new members to explore, and could separate out the discussion of the dangerous ideology from the more generic cheesepaper hilarity.

If others agree, I'll gladly start a thread when the next email goes out, or maybe just ask the admin to add "Steve Maxwell: Seriously?" into this thread title? :D

I believe that treemom and co. were not particularly fundiefied. They were wearing pants and had short hair. They also admitted to not being Christian :o

I dressed conservatively. Jeans and a silk tunic from India. I have shortish hair, I think it was at my shoulders. When asked if I went to church locally I mentioned I was Jewish. Poor Anna didn't know what to do about that. But they were genuinely polite and nice until you I told Steve to go fuck himself.

Just a random thought: I would love to have a dedicated thread for the deconstruction of the Steve Maxwell Seriously posts. At the moment we pretty much do that every time, but the comments get added into whichever Max thread is on going at the time. If we separated them out, it could make a good resource for new members to explore, and could separate out the discussion of the dangerous ideology from the more generic cheesepaper hilarity.

If others agree, I'll gladly start a thread when the next email goes out, or maybe just ask the admin to add "Steve Maxwell: Seriously?" into this thread title? :D

I agree! This would be a super resource.

I wouldn't mind wrangling some Maxwell threads into the corral.

I dressed conservatively. Jeans and a silk tunic from India. I have shortish hair, I think it was at my shoulders. When asked if I went to church locally I mentioned I was Jewish. Poor Anna didn't know what to do about that. But they were genuinely polite and nice until you I told Steve to go fuck himself.

Re the bolded, I would disagree with this. I think they appear polite and nice because they're trained salespeople following a script. Once things deviate from that script, as when you mentioned you were Jewish, they didn't know what to do. Someone who's genuinely nice and polite would have tried to engage you in further conversation and show interest in your background, perhaps trying to learn something new. To the Maxwells though, all this meant is that the chances of a sale were slim to none so they retreated. All of Steve's blather about what good conversationalist his kids are is basically a crock. They don't know how to converse; they know how to pitch a sale. It's 100% disingenuous.

Re the bolded, I would disagree with this. I think they appear polite and nice because they're trained salespeople following a script. Once things deviate from that script, as when you mentioned you were Jewish, they didn't know what to do. Someone who's genuinely nice and polite would have tried to engage you in further conversation and show interest in your background, perhaps trying to learn something new. To the Maxwells though, all this meant is that the chances of a sale were slim to none so they retreated. All of Steve's blather about what good conversationalist his kids are is basically a crock. They don't know how to converse; they know how to pitch a sale. It's 100% disingenuous.

I think it would be good to consolidate some of the Maxwell threads - simply because I find it hard to keep track of them all.

I agree on the trained salespeople issue too. Go off script and they are totally lost. What stands out from my very brief meeting with the Maxwells was:

- Steve needing to greet my headship before deigning to shake my hand, although I was first in line.

- Teri's idea of small talk before her session started: "Have you traveled far?" Just like the Queen.

- Mary (or it may have been Anna) getting quite anxious when I tried to discuss the weather. I only commented that it was a beautiful day after several days of heavy rain, and had it made driving there difficult. Great conversationalists - not!

I don't think I, or Treemom and Co., looked particularly threatening even if they were wearing jeans. Mr. P. and I are close to Steve and Teri in age - practically "the elderly." A woman in her 20s dressed all in black, with ink and piercings in evidence, and a very short hairstyle might send the Maxwells all of a tremble. I'd really like to observe how they would deal with that. ;)

She didn't know what to do and was shocked but kept talking to us,

I would send them off the edge, I'm an elder, 55 years old, with lots of piercings, large ear gauges, a crew cut and always wear jeans though I identify as Christian, probably not the "right kind" though...

People who enjoy learning (adults or children) are more likely to seek out information, discover things their parents didn't tell them, and -- possibly -- R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

People who've had the imagination and curiosity beaten out of them and who are told that learning isn't supposed to be enjoyed will spend the required hours reading and working on school, but won't do much beyond that.

She didn't know what to do and was shocked but kept talking to us,

I would hazard a guess that they (the kidults) aren't aware that Jewish people still exist. They probably this they all converted to Christianity centuries ago. It's kind of sad. I wonder if they were ever taught of the Spanish Inquisition, Russian Pogroms, Holocaust, and/or the struggles the Jewish people have endured throughout history.

Steve Maxwell dosen't want his followers kids to have fun cause his kids weren't allowed to.

Steve Maxwell doesn't want anyone to have fun because it's easier to control people who feel guilty or scared all of the time. People will be scared and fall in line and look to him for the answers.

Steve Maxwell doesn't want anyone to have fun because it's easier to control people who feel guilty or scared all of the time. People will be scared and fall in line and look to him for the answers.

Good point.

I was reading a past Mom's corner about Birthday parties. It said how they didn't allow them w/ friends or allow the younger ones to go to any. I bet Steve was worried the kids were going to have fun.

I think the fact that none of the Maxwell kids have escaped this hell is proof of how emotionally abusive Steve must be. It's so sad, really.

Agree!! He has scared them so much about the outside world.

It would probably be considered an idol, like Diet Pepsi.

I wonder what Stevehova would do if one of his followers, err kidults, found reading the bible f*n...

Shall I rename this thread so that it's a place to discuss the ongoing fuckery and bad advice of Steve's Seriously stuff?

Please do! Seriously Steve... You Are An Asshole. (Or whatever.)

Please do! Seriously Steve... You Are An Asshole. (Or whatever.)

Please work Steve Maxwell and Titus2 into the snark, so that the thread is Googleable. ;)

I would love to have some of Steve's ex-sheeple among our number. :D

I wonder what Stevehova would do if one of his followers, err kidults, found reading the bible f*n...

I guess they know by now to find it wholesome, godly and praiseworthy instead.

The Song of Solomon is probably already painted out for the unmarrieds. But I'm sure more could be whited out if necessary...

Their whole family vocabulary must have been built to carefully exclude words that would cause Steve to remove anything else from their lives. :shifty-kitty:

I was very surprised that he doesn't enjoy reading the Bible, and that he admitted it like he thinks nobody does, it's just a boring chore Christians have to do over and over and over.

Archived