IGNORED

Titus2's Steve Maxwell: Seriously Anti-Fun

SPHASH

:pb_confused:

Couple things, Steve.

1. Why do you assume it's teenagers trying to hide the fact that they were drinking? That glass could come from a thousand things. 

2. Who thinks cholesterol is a good idea? I mean, you need it sometimes, but nobody is going out there saying "mmm, I'm in the mood for cholesterol".

3. You seem to admire the guy for running barefoot. Then you act like he's doing something stupid. Which is it?

4. Wouldn't the Christian thing be to pick the glass up so no one (not just the runner) gets injured? 

Something to think about, Steve. 

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not biblical scholar, but I don't recall any verses about the sins of eating margarine, taking out a mortgage or sending kids to a youth group. Did I miss something?

And yes, the Christian (or decent human being) thing to do would be to grab a broom and dust pan and clean up that glass!

I'm not biblical scholar, but I don't recall any verses about the sins of eating margarine, taking out a mortgage or sending kids to a youth group. Did I miss something?

And yes, the Christian (or decent human being) thing to do would be to grab a broom and dust pan and clean up that glass!

They'd have to put it on the schedule first.

Yeah, I thought they were going to grab a broom and dustpan and do their best to clean it up for him. Either that or leave out a cardboard sign saying "look out for the glass."

I REALLY want to meet Steve Maxwell! I would pay to have a conversation with him (about how I'm not the right kind of Christian). :my_biggrin:

:pb_confused:

Couple things, Steve.

1. Why do you assume it's teenagers trying to hide the fact that they were drinking? That glass could come from a thousand things. 

2. Who thinks cholesterol is a good idea? I mean, you need it sometimes, but nobody is going out there saying "mmm, I'm in the mood for cholesterol".

3. You seem to admire the guy for running barefoot. Then you act like he's doing something stupid. Which is it?

4. Wouldn't the Christian thing be to pick the glass up so no one (not just the runner) gets injured? 

Something to think about, Steve. 

Someone who has been fasting for a week.  He needs a cheeseburger stat!

And yes, the only logical explanation for the broken glass is drinking teenagers. :roll:

Youth Groups are bad according to Steve...  Can someone enlighten me?

Because you'll be mixing with people of the opposite sex which could stir up ungodly thoughts. Plus you should NEVER be out from under the influence of your parents, because who knows what other families believe? They might allow the consumption of Pepsi! The girls could be allowed to wear knee-length skirts! Maybe the family has never heard of a 14er! 

Youth Groups are bad according to Steve...  Can someone enlighten me?

The fundies I know, weren't allowed to go to high school youth group because, "they talked about issues like dating and divorce." Apparently those "issues" are too much for a 16 year old to be exposed to. :pb_eek:

When I hear "Youth Group", I think Christian.  I think it goes back to my HS days, when I was never invited to partake - Not Christian Enough (actually not Christian at all, but no one knew that).  I'm still getting used to the hierarchy of it all; where they see themselves and others, and how SEVERELY (yeah JRod word) they want to keep their kids isolated.  

UUuuuuuh.  Christian ballet.  Saw a performance of the Washington Ballet a few years back, and I *really* think Brooklyn Mack is SEVERELY defrauding a whole lot of people.  *wipes up the drool*

Teri and I have been walking early in the morning when it is still dark. Many mornings we meet an “out and back” runner who on his return runs barefoot on the sidewalk. It is amazing how tough his feet are as evidenced by the pounding we can hear as he approaches us. Running barefoot on pavement in the daylight is one thing but in the dark, quite another.

Over the weekend we noticed several glass bottles had been broken on the sidewalk, likely by partying teenagers desiring to remove “evidence” from their cars. We were quite concerned for our barefoot runner “friend.” If he ran unaware into that broken glass, his “good idea” of running barefoot might be superseded by an unexpected result.

So often what seems like a good idea, maybe even one that is popular with others, is seen later in a different light when over time the fruit of that decision comes to light. (Think of cholesterol, youth groups, debt.) May we make right decisions as we lead our family. May we seek the Lord’s direction in all things and then follow Him obediently. That is the path of no regrets.

Good Lord he is a "piece of work."  I wonder how many of Steve's "good ideas" have born rotten fruit?  Perhaps he is starting to see that keeping his children isolated, under-educated, close to home, and slaves to a schedule have not had the desired results-- his daughters remain unmarried and his sons are struggling to be successful.  And seeking the Lord's direction in all things is a bit tricky when the Lord keeps telling Steve exactly what Steve wants to hear, one might almost say that the Lord speaks in Steve's voice.

Good Lord he is a "piece of work."  I wonder how many of Steve's "good ideas" have born rotten fruit?  Perhaps he is starting to see that keeping his children isolated, under-educated, close to home, and slaves to a schedule have not had the desired results-- his daughters remain unmarried and his sons are struggling to be successful.  And seeking the Lord's direction in all things is a bit tricky when the Lord keeps telling Steve exactly what Steve wants to hear, one might almost say that the Lord speaks in Steve's voice.

Holy shit. After all this time reading Steve and he can still throw me a curve ball. After the second paragraph, I totally expected the third to be about Steve and Teri cleaning up the broken glass to look out for a friend (excuse me "friend) and how we have to be aware of helping others in our communities whether they realized we helped or not. He and Teri look like total assholes in this post. 

I also love that Steve now believes that there are righteous and unrighteous footwear choices. 

When has anyone ever seen or heard of a Maxwell doing anything to help?  Passing out tracts and balloons definitely doesn't count.  Pompous, self-righteous asses, the whole lot.

When has anyone ever seen or heard of a Maxwell doing anything to help?  Passing out tracts and balloons definitely doesn't count.  Pompous, self-righteous asses, the whole lot.

Well they did bake cookies or something for police officers on Christmas or Thanksgiving or something a few years ago.  But they asked the cops to come to the Maxwell house to pick them up!  Couldn't be bothered bringing them to the police station. 

Honestly, if I was a police officer I would not eat anything homemade no matter how godly the baker. 

That's so funny, calling the police station to let them know where the centre of the universe lies. 

Can't go in person, as they might bump into criminals!

ITA about the broken glass.  I thought they would do an I-J-N and pick it up or at least wait around and warn the barefoot runner.   It's as though the Maxwells live under a glass dome with no empathy for others at all.

That whole post is strange, even for Steve.  I don't think fasting is good for him.  What's with all the quotation mark?  I do that sometimes to be sarcastic (as in "PhD" from unaccredited college) but why is Steve saying "out and back", "friend", "evidence", and "good idea"?

Think of cholesterol, youth groups, debt.  OMG, youth groups.  The horror!

I scanned the blog for evidence that they help other people spontaneously (ie other than when preaching) and I can't see anything.

They accept help and gifts all the time, but only seem they offer judgement to others.

I found this one post where they drove past a building on fire slowly enough for Chris to take photis, which they added in to embellish a chatty conference blog post.   I realise they couldn't have helped there, but taking gratuitous photos of a mother and baby in a flaming building  is just taking the piss!  To top it off, a commenter praised God that theyy drove past at exactly the right time to pray for the victims. :my_dodgy:

DAY #23 – A REPORT FROM THE LAST THREE CONFERENCES
This was posted on September 28, 2007 by Sarah.

It’s hard to believe we’ve been on the road three weeks, and only have about a week left. ...

Dad had been praying about what route to take from Connecticut to New Jersey. He had wanted to go a longer route to avoid New York City and the traffic. I must confess that most of us children were hoping to see the more “scenic” route, but we knew the Lord would direct Dad. Tuesday morning, Dad felt led to go the direct route, so we set out on our adventure. As we drove around New York City, in the Bronx area, we saw smoke. We thought it was a fire, and as we crossed a bridge, one of the children exclaimed they saw flames! Right near the opposite side of the interstate, flames were shooting out of a top-story apartment window. The fire truck had just arrived on the scene, and we saw firemen scaling the fire-escape stairs. Christopher took some pictures as we went by, and upon looking at the pictures, we saw there was actually a lady holding a baby only one story up and two windows away. It was a sobering scene. We prayed for those involved in the fire.

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

This is a zoomed in picture where you can see the lady and a baby to the left of the fire, one story up.

Wanda O. says:
October 5, 2007 at 11:41 am

Wow! God has taken your family so far from home! I am from the Bronx myself (left NYC in 1999 when I was 25) and it really touched my heart that you were not afraid to drive through the Bronx as so many people are and that your van was able to minister about families for Jesus! Thank you also for praying for that woman and baby. God put you at the right place and the right time for his glory and prayers.

Wanda

I scanned the blog for evidence that they help other people spontaneously (ie other than when preaching) and I can't see anything.

They accept help and gifts all the time, but only seem they offer judgement to others.

I found this one post where they drove past a building on fire slowly enough for Chris to take photis, which they added in to embellish a chatty conference blog post.   I realise they couldn't have helped there, but taking gratuitous photos of a mother and baby in a flaming building  is just taking the piss!  To top it off, a commenter praised God that theyy drove past at exactly the right time to pray for the victims. :my_dodgy:

Oh, I remember that post! 

There's a reason Sarah made absolute sure she put in the comment about praying for the victims.  People had previously called them out about talking about things like this (generally accidents they saw on the road during their travels) but mentioning nothing about praying for the victims.  Often they would just complain these accidents were making them late for their scheduled stops.  No kidding.

This was when they were constantly asking for prayers that packing for their trips would go well, their van would hold up, they wouldn't get colds and not be able to speak on their tours.  Really frivolous stuff.  After people commented stuff like "Did you pray for those accident victims?", Sarah started putting in comments about praying for the accident victims and asking blog readers to pray too.

That post really irritated me! 

The whole part about, "some of us wanted to take the scenic route, but we knew God would direct Dad," was ridiculous. :pb_rollseyes:

This was when they were constantly asking for prayers that packing for their trips would go well, their van would hold up, they wouldn't get colds and not be able to speak on their tours.  Really frivolous stuff.  After people commented stuff like "Did you pray for those accident victims?", Sarah started putting in comments about praying for the accident victims and asking blog readers to pray too.

I loved the older blog posts when they would ask people for "specific prayers" for things like "please pray that Uriah doesn't blowout a spark plug" or "please pray that Joseph's cold stricken voice recovers by 2:30pm." Yeah, I'll get down on my knees and get right on that.

I like to imagine God purposely blowing out Uriah's spark plugs and rendering Joseph speechless in an attempt to prevent the Maxwells from getting out there and spreading their nonsense in his name.

Even if Steveovah is wondering why his children haven't turned out the way he hoped, one thing is that he will not understand that it was his crazy decisions.  He will never take responsibility for it.  He might wonder why but never seriously look in the mirror to see the answer.

I loved the older blog posts when they would ask people for "specific prayers" for things like "please pray that Uriah doesn't blowout a spark plug" or "please pray that Joseph's cold stricken voice recovers by 2:30pm." Yeah, I'll get down on my knees and get right on that.

I like to imagine God purposely blowing out Uriah's spark plugs and rendering Joseph speechless in an attempt to prevent the Maxwells from getting out there and spreading their nonsense in his name.

There was one time they asked for prayers around packing before a trip, yes packing...

On the subject of the Maxwells 'helping' others. At some point in time Steve used to take some of the boys to a homeless shelter to serve food or something.  However, it seemed to be more about scaring the boys of where the evils of the world could lead to rather than actually helping the homeless.

Archived