IGNORED

Gothard headquarters downsizing, moving to Big Sandy

HereticHick

I have several friends who graduated from Baylor and they are very normal, so it's not a crazy Christian school. People on the IBLP FB page are either wondering what happened/what the time line is, or very silent.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if Gothard might be "sole proprietor" of all the ATI/IBLP assets? Catholic Archbishops are during the time they are in power in any given dioceses. If so Gothard could potentially pocket the major money that comes from the sale of the cult's real estate properties.

Interesting point. Within RCC the Archbishops are indeed the proprietors of the properties in that they are the figurehead for the trust - but they are owned by the Dioceses. So if they sold properties the Archbishops wouldn't profit personally, the way Gothard alone could if he were sole owner. It's interesting that some parishes have incorporated and are run by a non-profit board overseeing the property aspect - so it seems the Vatican gives room for each parish to do things differently, which surprised me tbh.

I would be fascinated to know financial structure of the IPLB. Best case for Gothard (in my totally non-expert opinion) would be that he owns all that Oak Brook property privately and donates use to the ILPB. Because if it's actually owned by the non-profit I'd think there would be considerably more legal strings requiring not just reporting but keeping the capital within the org rather than stuffed in Bill's mattress.

I'll be honest, I've never read the fine print when I donate to charities because for anything more than incidental money it's places with which I've been familiar for years and I approve of the work being done. But if ILPB a tithing deal? I have a close relative who went fundy lite and tithed which still makes me clench decades later - even for people on the low end of the scale that's a shitload of investment and I'd want an accounting. You know, if I ever lost my mind and decided to turn over 10% of my income to any religious organization. If they are a tithing deal then I'd think even the lemmingest (I know it's not a word) of sheep will balk at millions (hundreds of millions depending on how much they liquidate?) lining personal coffers.

Oak Brook is nice, but I was surprised at that house posted going for over 600K for a 3 br ranch under 2k square feet. There are plenty of other high end suburbs where you could still get more for your money. Not that I'm going to start looking up listings in Naperville or Hinsdale at the moment because I don't want to kill myself before lunch ...but when it comes to the Chicago 'burbs I know for a fact you can get much nicer/bigger for considerably less in Northbrook and Wilmette which IMO are far more desirable than Oak Brook IMO.

Decided to torture myself and yes, Hindale and Naperville for recently sold that 600K mark is getting you a lot more. Same as Northbrook and Wilmette - for that 600k ballpark you're looking at 4-5 bedrooms, about 2k more in square footage, and much nicer exteriors.

And I don't know which district this house falls in, but some of Oak Brook is in the Willowbrook school district which is ranked 66th in the Chicago area. That's fine and it's a really good school, but compared those in Hinsdale, Naperville, Wilmette, and Northbrook which are ranked 8th, 16th/12th, 2nd, 5th/6th respectively. I know fundies don't care about the public schools, but many potential buyers will.

I shouldn't have done this. I like my house and my kids got great educations in our town (which we chose specifically for their schools and their excellent special ed in particular) but looking at houses I will never afford is never a pick me up for me. And FWIW that type/size ranch in my next of the woods goes for about half that 600+ k price tag and our schools are in the Willowbrook ballpark for rank these days.

I would be fascinated to know financial structure of the IPLB. Best case for Gothard (in my totally non-expert opinion) would be that he owns all that Oak Brook property privately and donates use to the ILPB. Because if it's actually owned by the non-profit I'd think there would be considerably more legal strings requiring not just reporting but keeping the capital within the org rather than stuffed in Bill's mattress.

I'll be honest, I've never read the fine print when I donate to charities because for anything more than incidental money it's places with which I've been familiar for years and I approve of the work being done. But if ILPB a tithing deal? I have a close relative who went fundy lite and tithed which still makes me clench decades later - even for people on the low end of the scale that's a shitload of investment and I'd want an accounting. You know, if I ever lost my mind and decided to turn over 10% of my income to any religious organization. If they are a tithing deal then I'd think even the lemmingest (I know it's not a word) of sheep will balk at millions (hundreds of millions depending on how much they liquidate?) lining personal coffers.

It's always a good idea to look up a charity before donating. Goldstar guidestar.org is a good place to start looking.

Re. IBLP. It was incorporated as a NFP way back in 1963. Gothard paid himself a salary and told people that he lived very simply, other than getting to play with all the IBLP toys like private jets, getting all his travel expenses comped and probably many other perks.

The real estate is owned by the IBLP corporation, not by Gothard. The 990 forms (required by the IRS for NFPs) up 2013 are available here: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprof ... /366108515

projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/366108515https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/366108515

The 990 form doesn't break out all the numbers (as in individual staff salaries) but you can get an idea of where the money was coming from and going to. As you can see, IBLP was operating at a loss. Downsizing makes sense.

It will be interesting to see what the 990 looks like for 2014 when that is made public. Inquiring minds want to know how big a payment the IBLP Board of Directors had to give Gothard to make him resign.

:popcorn:

Edit: correcting brain fart.

It's always a good idea to look up a charity before donating. Goldstar is a good place to start looking.

Re. IBLP. It was incorporated as a NFP way back in 1963. Gothard paid himself a salary and told people that he lived very simply, other than getting to play with all the IBLP toys like private jets, getting all his travel expenses comped and probably many other perks.

The real estate is owned by the IBLP corporation, not by Gothard. The 990 forms (required by the IRS for NFPs) up 2013 are available here: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprof ... /366108515

The 990 form doesn't break out all the numbers (as in individual staff salaries) but you can get an idea of where the money was coming from and going to. As you can see, IBLP was operating at a loss. Downsizing makes sense.

It will be interesting to see what the 990 looks like for 2014 when that is made public. Inquiring minds want to know how big a payment the IBLP Board of Directors had to give Gothard to make him resign.

:popcorn:

This is awesome. And I would look into a charity if it was new to me, that's important advice. When I give it's to a couple of local places where I either volunteer when I can or those close to me do. I'm familiar enough to be comfortable giving without a formal accounting...but it's not like we're able to give a great deal of money anyway.

This is awesome. And I would look into a charity if it was new to me, that's important advice. When I give it's to a couple of local places where I either volunteer when I can or those close to me do. I'm familiar enough to be comfortable giving without a formal accounting...but it's not like we're able to give a great deal of money anyway.

You are very welcome. Also, I had a brainfart above that I need to correct. It's guidestar.org not Goldstar!

Mods, please merge if someone has already posted about this.

The decision has been made because, really, what fucking choice do we have at this point? Last week it was officially announced that IBLP will be relocating its headquarters fleeing from Chicago to Big Sandy, Texas in an absolute flurry of chaos and panic. The trends over the last 15 years have shown that the ministry has more properties than it currently needs because no one believes our crap and we have no money coming in, and after much prayer and consideration freaking out and panicking it was decided that it would be a financially strategic move to consolidate with the ALERT campus our prison camp for vulnerable young males down in Texas. While not unexpected completely expected by everyone not in our cult, the move will still not be quite a change for all of us because Texas loves religious freaks like us!

God Gothard miraculously provided the Oak Brook property for the Institute back in 1969, and since then groups and delegations from all over the world have come seeking practical instruction on how to apply Scriptural principles to every aspect of life emotionally cripple and abuse your children into becoming mindless zombies who constantly fuck for Jesus after marriage. While this brings a chapter of IBLP’s history to a close, praise be Jebus!, the vision of introducing people to Jesus Christ Bill Gothard, molester extraordinaire, and providing families, churches, businesses, and nations with Biblical training on how to find true success in life grift for Jesus and breed like rabbits remains unchanged. The Lord Gothard has worked sexually harassed young women mightily in the past and we are excited about what He has for the future. We are all one body in Christ (1 Cor. 12), and as each member looks to the Head and follows His leading we know He has great things in store for each one. For even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light (2 Cor. 11:14), and as each member looks to our personal Satan, Bill Gothard, and follows his lead we are content in knowing he has great things in store for us - for there shall be much footplay. So spoketh the Bill of Gothard and it was good.

I made it better! :D

The Chicago area is very progressive, but the Western Suburbs have been home to several large and powerful conservative Christian organizations. The Evangelical Mission boards were once HQ'ed in that area but moved out west (Denver area I think.....) in the late 90's- early 2000's. Wheaton College (Home of the Billy Graham Center) and Tyndale publishing are still in the area.

I lived in the western suburbs for 25 years, just a little bit east of Oakbrook. Shopped at Oakbrook Mall all the time (Sears not Neiman Marcus). Never once heard or read about Gothard and his cult being headquartered in our area, until I read it on FJ. DuPage county is rich, republican, and conservative, and everybody knew of Wheaton College, but its considered mainstream at least. I doubt that many locals knew about Gothard, or would have approved of his compound being amongst their million dollar homes. Never saw any obvious fundies either. Weird.

ZOMG! I haven't bumped into the Pecans yet!!!!!!! Every.Single.Time I got to Home Depot I watch for them.

I also have had plans for quite awhile with another Chicago-based FJ'er to drive by. Knowing me, I'd manage to get inside...........

I know Oak Brook is so nice, when I can I drive company thru there to show them the huge houses & mansions & some that actually resemble castles. They will get $$$$$ to sell or rent the property.

You need to go to the Chik-Fil-A nearest IBLP headquarters to better your odds! The Pecans live adjacent the IBLP campus, so the nearest to headquarters would be their spot.

Whew... there are three Chick-fil-as in Longview. Not very close, but they will have to drive to Longview or Gilmer for the Walmart anyway... Living in Big Sandy will be quite a change from the burbs of Chicago. For Pris, I don't think it will be too strange, after being raised in rural Fl.

And no, we REALLY didn't need more fundies here. Sigh.

What is DW/Pecan Thief's job title?

Administrative Director of ATI, or so it stated in his letter announcing BG's resignation. I'm sure they all have inflated titles so it probably translates as one of several gofers for Chris Hogan, ATI President. Hogan presumably reports to Tim Levendusky who, last I heard, was appointed IBLP Interim President following Gothard's resignation.

If one believes that BG ever really resigned and isn't still pulling strings from behind the curtain.

You need to go to the Chik-Fil-A nearest IBLP headquarters to better your odds! The Pecans live adjacent the IBLP campus, so the nearest to headquarters would be their spot.

Try the Chick-Fil A in Willowbrook. I've ran into them twice at that one. Also the Portillos is good for spotting people associated with IBLP.

They are currently doing some IBLP conferences all around the country for like 3 months according to the ATI conference website.

The desperation reeks.

Try the Chick-Fil A in Willowbrook. I've ran into them twice at that one. Also the Portillos is good for spotting people associated with IBLP.

Portillos in Willowbrook or Downers Grove? I swear that group shot with JD from a couple months back was at the one in Downers Grove.

Maybe a house will come up for sale. There isn't one right now (on Zillow). Please :fsm: !!!

While on Zillow I had to look for a new house for David and Pris and Michala & Brandon. They need to be neighbors so they can tattle keep eyes on fellowship with each other. I found 2 homes on Hamil Blvd in Big Sandy. Both 3 beds 2 bath on 1 acre lots., 705 Hamil is in need of SEVERE updating ($120k). 711 Hamil ($168k) has a very pretty pink? lavender? (pictures hard to tell) bathroom. I think Pris would like that.

I still bet they end up having new staff housing on the Alert campus.

Agreed, because carpentry is one of the things ALERT teaches.

Oh, yuck. I don't live that far from Big Sandy. We don't need MORE fundies in East TX, we have enough!

Humorous side note: we actually pass ALERT academy on the drive from our place to my in-laws. It didn't register with me what I was seeing until about 3 trips ago (a big, weird, wooden tower looking thing that says "Alert" on the side of it), and in the middle of a silent car ride I just blurted out OMIGOD! ALERT! GOTHARD! My husband and kids thought I had completely lost my marbles. :embarrassed:

i've been there a lot too, to the Barnwell mountain ORV park.

ZOMG! I haven't bumped into the Pecans yet!!!!!!! Every.Single.Time I got to Home Depot I watch for them.

I also have had plans for quite awhile with another Chicago-based FJ'er to drive by. Knowing me, I'd manage to get inside...........

I know Oak Brook is so nice, when I can I drive company thru there to show them the huge houses & mansions & some that actually resemble castles. They will get $$$$$ to sell or rent the property.

It sounds like they're going to experience a severe downgrade. :lol: That area of Texas is mighty bleak.

Gohmert (Teavangelical) is probably already BFF with IBLP.

Anybody know how many warm bodies already live at the Big Sandy compound?

Gohmert also tried to sponsor a bill requiring anyone running for office to provide documentation proving US citizenship (copy of birth certificate), so hopped on the birther wagon.

Louie also hopped on the Jade Helm paranoia wagon. Jade Helm just ended, and I think was successful, because after the original brouhaha, everything died down.

Jade Helm was a military exercise to see if the military could "infiltrate" a community without being noticed. So, yeah. Totally successful apparently. There are no patriots being held in the basement of the Bastrop WalMart as far as we know.

He's Texas A & M undergrad and Baylor Law, so no excuse there.

Rolling Stone did a great article on Jade Helm

rollingstone.com/politics/news/are-rogue-militants-preparing-for-war-on-american-soil-20150804?page=5

and the reporter even hung out with conspiracy guys in Bastrop. And one of the resaurants in Bastrop did this: :lol:

post-10046-14452000887469_thumb.jpg

Sorry for all the repeat posts but this is my old stomping grounds and near to my heart, i can't believe ATI has been reduced down to this. It's great.

Interesting, it looks like it's in an old neighborhood, not on grounds of an institute. (I've never seen the institute so I assume it has buildings further spaced.) Also from the accounts on recovering grace many of the survivor stories said they crossed the lawn and could see his house. I wonder if this is his boyhood home? I'm just guessing, I've never been in or around gothard's cult until FJ.

I thought the first pictured with the caption "8 Pine" was interesting. I am assuming this is confirming my suspicions there are houses on the grounds at HQ. I also thought it was interesting that she thought of her self as Anne of Green Gables or Laura Ingles. Do good IBLP followers read novels with such strong female protagonists?

Off-topic: yes, but in my experience, preferably books from the ideal time frames. Frontier or Victorian. :lol: Because you know, it takes a tough woman to stand behind be trampled on by an entitled man. :sick:

idk if some ATI parents would let them read American Girl historical novels, though. IIRC the American Girl early 1900's character, Samantha, got frustrated when her friend had the goal of making invisible stitches and Samantha's inner dialogue was like, wow: moment of truth, about how girls think they have to be invisible but useful. Maybe that scene was in another one of the many Victorian books i read as a kid, but it influenced me against the silly accomplishments fundie girls are taught.

post-10046-14452000887718_thumb.jpg

I see that Big Sandy is about 4 hours closer by car to Tontitown than Chicago. I wonder if this move might get the Duggars more involved in HQ activities than they were before--although Jana has been a Journey to the Heart counselor, no Duggarling as far as we know has been sent to "volunteer" at HQ before.

It sounds like they're going to experience a severe downgrade. :lol: That area of Texas is mighty bleak.

Yeah, that's going to be a BIG change from Oak Brook area and the Chicago area in general. Cost of living will be much lower but IBLP people like the Pecans are going to miss being able to go to the places the Chicago area has to offer and where would the closest Chik-Fil-A be anyway? No more Portillos either.

ETA: This is a BIG change. The organization is not in good shape if they are resorting to this.

Portillos in Willowbrook or Downers Grove? I swear that group shot with JD from a couple months back was at the one in Downers Grove.

The Duggar shot was at the one in DG, but Willowbrook is closer to IBLP HQ.

Archived