IGNORED

In which Jennie Chancey is featured in a Jezebel article

hoipolloi

When this click-bait article on Jane Austen fandom in Bath showed up on the FB feed (http://pictorial.jezebel.com/how-much-j ... socialflow), I just KNEW that Mrs. Chancey of Africa would at least be mentioned:

She is and there's even a photo:

1430308029078921363.jpg

And may I say how delightful it was to use "Jennie Chancey" and "Jezebel" in the same sentence :dance:

Agree that Regency dresses are some of the. most. unflattering. fashion on Earth, and I also have never been able to stomach Jane Austen's writing - simper, simper, simper. [emoji42]

But add me to the list of those mightily pleased to see the Jennie Chancey/ Jezebel combo!

Jenny sure has plenty of money to gallivant all over the globe, doesn't she? I guess her sweatshop dress factory must be doing well.

How many nannies does Matt have under his authority right now? Because you know damn well he's not taking care of those kids while she's gone.

The second lady was quoted as saying:

Mrs. Chancey and I have taken a break from our domestic and child bearing duties to take the waters here in Bath. Our husbands are attending to the estates and entertaining their Ashley Madison mistresses.

This is a sentiment I've never had the nerve to say out loud: I hate hate HATE regency dresses. So ugly, so unflattering! :disgust:

I've always said that if you want to look six months pregnant even if you aren't, Regency style is the way to go.

I've always said that if you want to look six months pregnant even if you aren't, Regency style is the way to go.

I was just going to say... IS Jennie pregnant in that photo? She sure could be, but maybe it's just the combined effect of the dress + the figure most women would have after bearing ~10 children...

Re: Regency dresses. Frump, frump, frump. Even back in their heyday, they didn't do much for anyone.

Re: Jane Austen. One of my favorites, as it happens, but as with many things, I suspect that much of her wit & human insight escapes most fundie readers. They seem to be pretty much focused on the cosplay renditions of her work as opposed to actually, you know, READING the books.

Re: Chanceys of Africa. Yep, they're assholes. They appear to be ensconced in South Africa now. Matt Chancey's linkedin profile (linkedin.com/in/mattchancey) has no mention of the Persecution Project although he's still on their board (persecutionproject.org/about/). Also, as of FY 2013, he was drawing $84K from the Persecution Project as a Director: http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2 ... cd7c-9.pdf

N.B. If you are also on LinkedIn other people can see your name, etc. when you look at their profiles unless you change that function to "anonymous" in your privacy settings.

Speaking in general: Jennie is so baffling to me. She used to be a very nice and reasonably normal person. Ever since her plunge off the deep end it's really hard to reconcile, it's like she's someone totally different.

Specific to this article: I'm not at all surprised she was involved in an event like this. It's not my thing at all, but she really seems to enjoy it.

Everybody looks pregnant in a regency dress.

I think Austen's heroines have a bit more spunk than some of the more patriarchal fundie varieties like in their women. Well OK, Fanny in Mansfield park was prudish and quite submissive, maybe they like her, and Emma gets taught a lesson by her future headship. Anne in Persuasion is a meek little mouse for most of the book but even so she eventually rebels in her choice of a spouse. Elizabeth never takes any crap from Darcy, and Catherine in Northanger Abbey sees the future father-in-law as quite an oppressive monster, not at all the sort of headship that his wife should follow.

I was going to say something snarky but I kind of got distracted by how surprisingly sexy Mr. Wickham looks - older and sans ridiculous sideburns. Someone posted a picture in the comments...

Keep in mind by Regency "done well" I'm looking primarily at this website: Festiveattyre.com/search/label/regency . Jen Thompson (of Festive Attyre) is not a racist colonialist POS and is DEFINITELY not a fundie. That helps quite a bit.

The lady standing next to her, who says she is close friends to both Chaunceys is Cathy Hay, who used to be in a long standing lesbian relationship. I do not understand how she can tolerate teh Chauncey horribleness.

Meanwhile nearly six years ago, the Botkinettes have put characters like Mr Darcy in the same boat as Edward. botkinsisters.com/article/how-twilight-is-re-vamping-romance

And then three years ago they respun that into an audio message "Jane Austen and Vampires" botkinsisters.com/2012/01/what-will-you-read-this-year

So I guess Regency is a no-go for them.

The lady standing next to her, who says she is close friends to both Chaunceys is Cathy Hay, who used to be in a long standing lesbian relationship. I do not understand how she can tolerate teh Chauncey horribleness.

88f4b354188548d5eb3c129784e9ac0c.jpg

"Beep! Beep! Beep! Back it up, back it up!"

ETA: A photo of Cathy and Matt playing Titanic. Jennie couldn't go, so this means yet another woman under Matt's umbrella of protection when she's not supposed to be. BUT... perhaps her being a sodomite changes the rules, I dunno.

plus.google.com/+JennieChancey/posts/jbr5WHVJ3fu

Re: Chanceys of Africa. Yep, they're assholes. They appear to be ensconced in South Africa now. Matt Chancey's linkedin profile (linkedin.com/in/mattchancey) has no mention of the Persecution Project although he's still on their board (persecutionproject.org/about/). Also, as of FY 2013, he was drawing $84K from the Persecution Project as a Director: http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2 ... cd7c-9.pdf

N.B. If you are also on LinkedIn other people can see your name, etc. when you look at their profiles unless you change that function to "anonymous" in your privacy settings.

Did the Chanceys get drop kicked out of Kenya when Jennie's sweatshop amazing work opportunity for local ladies came to light? Where are they in S. Africa?

The Persecution Project does sod all if you ask me. It doesn't even pretend to be doing anything about safe water, relief, or medical services on its website anymore. Evangelizing is pretty much it.

Did the Chanceys get drop kicked out of Kenya when Jennie's sweatshop amazing work opportunity for local ladies came to light? Where are they in S. Africa?

The Persecution Project does sod all if you ask me. It doesn't even pretend to be doing anything about safe water, relief, or medical services on its website anymore. Evangelizing is pretty much it.

IIRC, Jennie Chancey claimed that Kenya changed its visa rules for foreign residents doing business in Kenya which ended with them relocating to South Africa. At first, it was supposed to be temporary while the visa stuff was worked out but it seems to be a permanent move.

Re: Persecution Project. Yes, don't forget that its founder is Brad Phillips, younger brother of Doug Phillips Is A Rapist.

IIRC, Jennie Chancey claimed that Kenya changed its visa rules for foreign residents doing business in Kenya which ended with them relocating to South Africa. At first, it was supposed to be temporary while the visa stuff was worked out but it seems to be a permanent move.

Re: Persecution Project. Yes, don't forget that its founder is Brad Phillips, younger brother of Doug Phillips Is A Rapist.

I think the Chanceys were probably tossed out because they were in violation of their Kenyan visas, but that is just me being cynical.

Yeah. Mr. Brad "Fools Rush In and Prematurely Release Video Getting Christians in the Sudan Massacred" Phillips. Although, to be fair, that story was promulgated by the vile Kinist Peter Kershaw (AKA TW Eston), IIRC. I take it with a grain or two of salt. Kershaw loves to hate everyone.

That said, the Persecution Project doesn't seem to do anything except collect money and run a voluntourism trip or two annually as far as I can see. Fools and their money again.

As I've said before I haven't spoken with Jennie in years, but at least at the time I knew her she was capable of being very personable and warm, even to people who have differing opinions from hers. I assume she still has at least the ability to generate that persona, whether or not it's genuine, so my guess is that she's very pleasant to Cathy in person.

When I first read Jennie's writing online I had a strong "What the hell?" reaction and thought it wasn't really her because the online vitriol was so different from how I ever saw her act in real life. If Cathy Hay (who I know nothing about, so not sure if this applies...) doesn't read Jennie's online writings, she may not have any idea how deep certain things go.

As I've said before I haven't spoken with Jennie in years, but at least at the time I knew her she was capable of being very personable and warm, even to people who have differing opinions from hers. I assume she still has at least the ability to generate that persona, whether or not it's genuine, so my guess is that she's very pleasant to Cathy in person.

When I first read Jennie's writing online I had a strong "What the hell?" reaction and thought it wasn't really her because the online vitriol was so different from how I ever saw her act in real life. If Cathy Hay (who I know nothing about, so not sure if this applies...) doesn't read Jennie's online writings, she may not have any idea how deep certain things go.

Please don't feel obliged to divulge but I am curious as to when Jennie was so different.

Obviously, I've only ever "known" her from her online presence and her behavior & demeanor there have always been consistent -- snotty, know-it-all, and vicious towards those she disagrees with. I've also read her earlier stuff from years ago, including her account of her courtship & marriage to Matt (kindredgrace.com/stories-of-love/chancey/). I will say, though, like Michael Pearl, Jennie has an engaging writing style, when she wants to be engaging.

ETA: Maybe old age is affecting my memory, but I am pretty sure that Jennie or someone has done some serious editing of her courtship story. I do NOT recall all of this equivocation about the term "courtship:"

So we come around to courtship. Let me say right off that I don’t see courtship as an alternative to dating. In my opinion, dating should be out of the question. “Courtship†(or “family-centered relating†or whatever you like to call it) is something entirely different. It is not the “biblical†way to meet the opposite sex or go out. That would miss the point entirely. Courtship first is a completely new mindset—one that erases the old “get a date or be a geek†mentality. This takes some doing if you’ve been brought up to view dating as the normal way to find a mate. It begins with the decision to commit each day to God and His calling on my life. It comes with the knowledge that God has already chosen the person I am to marry—if I am to marry. It is the realization that I can never be content married until I am content single. If I live in despair because I don’t have a “significant other,†then I have not learned to lean on God. And do note that the word “courtship†gets thrown around a lot these days by parents and others eager to dump dating, but it’s not the name that’s important—it is the principle of the thing, whatever buzzword is used.

Whoever did it, such editing is typical of both Kindred Grace & Jennie Chancey.

Please don't feel obliged to divulge but I am curious as to when Jennie was so different.

Obviously, I've only ever "known" her from her online presence and her behavior & demeanor there have always been consistent -- snotty, know-it-all, and vicious towards those she disagrees with. I've also read her earlier stuff from years ago, including her account of her courtship & marriage to Matt (kindredgrace.com/stories-of-love/chancey/). I will say, though, like Michael Pearl, Jennie has an engaging writing style, when she wants to be engaging.

ETA: Maybe old age is affecting my memory, but I am pretty sure that Jennie or someone has done some serious editing of her courtship story. I do NOT recall all of this equivocation about the term "courtship:"

Whoever did it, such editing is typical of both Kindred Grace & Jennie Chancey.

I'm sure Jennie, like many others, can layer on the charm when people meet her in real life. She may even seem very warm and friendly. It is in their writings that these people show their true colors and poisonous beliefs.

Archived