IGNORED

Jenna Andersen/That Wife (of Bathroom Baby fame)

Closed Womb

But is the cheese still locked up? The world needs to know!

No, Jenna is currently a body positive OMGFeminist coder, eating and drinking as she wishes.

Countdown to weight gain and reverting to extreme dieting and ridiculous exercise regime starts now.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ladycoder thing annoys me so much every time I think about it. I'm more of a systems person than a coder, but I've had to maintain the code of "I wanted to make big money, so I sat through 6 weeks PowerPoint slides and got an expensive certificate"-type people, and it's a scourge! It's like being told to patch a sweater, but you open it, and it's actually a pile of soggy ramen noodles. I'm not saying you need a graduate degree, but you do need some background in theory and basic intuition for mathematical concepts. It's not just daintily copy-band-pasting stuff off snippet sites and indenting it just so. Argh no, stick to Pinterest fails and cocktails.

I get her blog on my feedly but where else does she post? Her FB?

Snapchat is her new obsession.

To the point of 5+ chats straight in a row (and nearly always getting cutting off at the 10 seconds) pretty much daily since, and the others besides those.

I think she's ThatWifeJenna or JennaThatWife

Today's highlights included:

• a strange panning of her outfit for picture day (complete with one shoelace replaced with hemp string because her thrifted shoes didn't both have laces)
  • an 'introduction' to the 'secret bike room'
  • a multi-SC tour of her biking around the wharf area of SF while she skipped the non-mandatory-yoga-of-the-day and lunch, asked everyone if they are conflicted about Alcatraz, and opined on the attitude of the seals near Pier 39
  • and (thus far) she's concluded with another multi-SC explanation of how she cried today at Dev BootCamp, but the counselor clapped for her (in support, she said) and how she likes that part of DBC, and a closing about how she's heading home on the train to purchase tights thanks to the comments on IG today

It's really quite something! And you can see it all for yourself if you go under stories.

There was kid cuteness over the weekend (T2 wanting to sleep with her and T2's jabbering at Jenna, in particular - though that was Monday night, I think actually) but they're probably be very rare sightings of them if she really sticks out this whole bootcamp nonsense.

But is the cheese still locked up? The world needs to know!

LOL.

She sort of mostly gave up her diet/exercise thing around the New Year when she started her coding "season" of life.

She ditched the trainer and making smoothies in the garage, etc. and bailed on her weight loss plan prior to her 30th birthday bash nonsense (just a snip of her 14 Jan 2015 post)

After a 10-pound weight-gain over Christmas break I’ve been forced to accept that the day I turn thirty is not going to be a day where I present myself to the world as the together, svelte, balanced person I thought I could mold myself into over my 29th year. Why does this arbitrary number hold so much power over me? I’m going to blame Jennifer Garner and her many repetitions of “Thirty, Flirty, and Thriving” in 13 Going on 30*.

There will be no transformation by thirty. I can accept that. Now to make a few adjustments in my life, mainly in relation to my diet and exercise program. I had been approaching things as a sprint, feeling like it was possible for me to finish by the magical 30th if i just pushed a little harder each day, and the past few weeks have been about accepting that isn’t going to happen. I need to scale back to something that feels sustainable for the long term.

Of course, typical Jenna, she started and ended a bunch of other "new loves," a few slightly related to at least something physical. 

A LNO round January or February that led to that being her new hobby which lasted about 4 times. Around the same time she dove into CrossFit and posted her workouts (daily somethings I think they had some acronym for?) incessantly on IG after every workout, but that seemed to end right around her birthday bash in May (the last IG I see that was CrossFit related was 6/1 to show off a workout shirt she'd gotten at her party a week or two earlier to wear at CrossFit).  She bought a bike shortly after Europe and that's her current thing, but I think it's more about thinking she's being trendy and hip and less about physical activity.

And of course she uses typical bike safety common sense (ha!) - like biking in short tight skirts to flash others, or longer skirts to get tangled up in (until someone introduced her to the penny in the skirt trip, ever practical biking footwear such as flip flops, sandals, and boots, and has no helmet or a poorly fitted helmet on at least as often as she dose a properly fitted one.  Plus she's been towing her kids around in a precarious looking contraption that she admits lists around tremendously, made worse by using it for quite some time with their helmets nowhere near fitting correctly, and without their shoulder belts since she put the covers on backward and couldn't be bothered to fix them. Oh and she didn't pay attention to the advice given about how to cross tracks on a bike and so the kids fell out when she she crashed crossing railroad tracks one afternoon, leaving T1 with a lot of "bleedy owies."

the listing from side-to-side is scary. I don't think we're unstable though. <snip>

the front seat has pedals, and it does make a difference when the child helps. They also have buckles/straps to hold them in, but I installed the seat covers backwards and haven't flipped them around yet

WTH is a secret bike room?  Is that like a secret Nike room (full of women in tank tops)?!

Jenna is terrible, but I have to thank her. Reading her blog (and all the snark) made me realize that if I were a mother I would feel just like she does. I wouldn't BEHAVE that way, but I would feel it, and I would hate myself for it. As much as people bag on the "mommybloggers", it's good for people considering motherhood to read all about the dirty deets. Just my $0.02.

It seems to me that you would flip the seat covers around in the same time it takes to blog about them being backwards.

Jenna is terrible, but I have to thank her. Reading her blog (and all the snark) made me realize that if I were a mother I would feel just like she does. I wouldn't BEHAVE that way, but I would feel it, and I would hate myself for it. As much as people bag on the "mommybloggers", it's good for people considering motherhood to read all about the dirty deets. Just my $0.02.

I agree.  She's horrible, but her honesty is appreciated.  All prospective parents should hear the stories of those who just ain't that into it.  Not everyone is cut out to enjoy parenting and there are more of them out there than one might imagine. Most of them just hide it much better than TW does.

• 4 weeks later...

It appears that Jenna has shipped the kids off to Washington state for the week (that part is confirmed) with no plans of joining them for the holidays.  Since Jenna is in this intensive coding program (which she seems to not be taking that seriously) and will only have Thursday off, it's not that big a deal.  However, I think it's totally in line with Jenna's personality (wants to be apart from the burdens known publicly as T1 and T2) vs. a kind gesture (wanting her kiddos to have a proper family Thanksgiving.)  

Other snark forums are losing their collective shit over this move, but probably because it's a pattern (ie, being away for T2's birthday, by choice.) 

Jenna's social media platform of choice these days is SnapChat.  She tends to use the kids real names there, for the person who was interested in that information upthread. 

• 2 months later...

Jenna recently was interviewed for a Guardian piece about GOMI.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/21/gomi-blog-internet-comments-women

She and TH also just bought their first house, a fixer-upper in Redwood City (everything else was $1m+) which they are so excited to renovate!!1!eleventy1!! because "the place is pretty far from what we consider basic happiness standards." Of course this has given Jenna a convenient excuse to not look for a job, after she baaaaarely eked her way through coding bootcamp, since she'll now be too busy with the renovation to work. Her mom may also be coming down to help her with the renovations. Oh, and they are trying to figure out how to create a private area for "live-in help" presumably because life is hard with two children you don't like spending time with.

I see it mentioned on the blogsnark sub on reddit, but what exactly is SnapChat?  (yes, I'm too lazy to google, as it doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in for myself).

She seems to have "outsourced" pretty much all of her childcare/housekeeping duties, based on what I've read. 

It's a shame she finds spending time with her kids such drudgery.  I'm glad she realized she was not really into being a mother and stopped at 2 rather than staying in the mindset that would potentially lead to double digit children and then realizing she wasn't really cut out for it.

4 hours ago, Curious said:

I see it mentioned on the blogsnark sub on reddit, but what exactly is SnapChat?  (yes, I'm too lazy to google, as it doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in for myself).

She seems to have "outsourced" pretty much all of her childcare/housekeeping duties, based on what I've read. 

It's a shame she finds spending time with her kids such drudgery.  I'm glad she realized she was not really into being a mother and stopped at 2 rather than staying in the mindset that would potentially lead to double digit children and then realizing she wasn't really cut out for it.

Yep, for all the questionable things she's done, stopping after #2 was a good call. She says she knew she was leaving the church the second T2 was born a girl so she wouldn't be raised with oppressive doctrine, but I do find it awfully convenient -- I wouldn't be surprised (nor would I be critical) if it was her own inclination towards self-preservation kicking in upon realizing she was not as conventionally "maternal" as she expected. (That was an awfully constructed sentence. Sorry.)

I don't use SnapChat, but it's a video/photo app that lets you share snapshots of your day in video, photos (you can insert text captions over the image), or multiples of them collected into stories. They expire after a certain amount of time which you control. Apparently it's the next brilliant social media thing, since it's an even more personal look into a person or celebrity or brand than Instagram or Twitter.

Ok, I've read about this person a few times but never took the plunge. Should I risk this particular rabbit hole, and, if so, are the rescue ferrets readily available?

On 10/15/2015 at 7:37 PM, withaj said:

Guys, I think she might be talking about us... FJ, getting under TW's skin since 20XX...

"I hit publish and remembered there was one other thing that appealed to me about this – a lot of people find me through the site-that-shall-not-be-named, and end up forming negative opinions about me based on what they read there. Some people are going to believe what they want to believe, so I don’t spend any time worrying about them, but I think there is a subset that acts out based on skewed information. It would be nice to work toward the things mentioned above, and lessen the amount of aggression sent my way at the same time. One can hope, right?"

thatwifeblog.com/2015/10/13/that-wife-on-snapchat/

I think this is about GOMI, which BTW I do not care for at all.  I like my snark, but that site is just cruel.  

23 hours ago, jcanglin991 said:

Ok, I've read about this person a few times but never took the plunge. Should I risk this particular rabbit hole, and, if so, are the rescue ferrets readily available?

We don't talk about her that much anymore for whatever reason.  After she left the church, I guess people here lost some interest, however, there is still plenty to snark on, IMO.

We do have an archive for her here: http://www.freejinger.org/forum/255-that-wife/

We always have plenty of rescue ferrets available.  We had a new training facility built during Joshgate ;)  :ferret:

6 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I think this is about GOMI, which BTW I do not care for at all.  I like my snark, but that site is just cruel.  

Definitely about GOMI.  We barely talk about her these days.  She was just featured in an article in the Guardian about GOMI (which was poorly researched, IMO).

On February 7, 2016 at 4:43 PM, jcanglin991 said:

A lot of her blog has been "sanitized" so some of the truly ridiculous posts are no longer available. But you should be able to get an idea in the archives even if you can't find the individual posts.

All of the super-Mormon stuff is still on there, though. Really just selected posts about parenting that she got torn apart for are gone.

With people losing interest in That Wife over here, I have gotten most of my information from GOMI and, to a lesser degree, the GOMI snark site (subreddit), blogsnark. 

I'm a little behind in reading at both places, but it appears that Jenna has rebranded/is rebranding as "Living Absolutely."  livingabsolutely.com

GOMIers have also found what appears to be Jenna's OKCupid profile (okcupid.com/profile/eyesblueexplorer), which lists her as a bisexual woman in an open relationship.  She has hinted at both of these things, but not stated them outright.  No snark from me if she's either (or both), but plenty of snark on her for adding the pursuit of casual sex as the next thing that gets priority over her kids (who she seems to dislike -- she outsources everything except bedtime routine, which she regularly complains about on snapchat.) 

A Jenna insider (on GOMI) has lent credence to the legitimacy of the OKC profile, while the owner of GOMI has been pretty adamant that it HAS to be a troll (although, I follow Jenna's antics and I'm an English Professor with a keen eye for style -- always looking for the plagiarism in the form of paying to have an original paper written -- and it sure as hell sounds like her, to me.)  Again, I am about 20 pages (one day) behind on my reading, so if it's been proven to be her (or to not be her) in the last 24 hours, I am not aware of that.

I don't know why we stopped snarking on her here (or NieNie, my other reason to go to GOMI), but she's really out there, blaming every struggle on being raised (mainstream) Mormon. 

• 2 months later...

Jenna has completely rebranded and no longer has a blog or any Social Media under "That Wife."  Which is fine, since despite being a SAHM with full time child care (apparently calling herself "childless by choice" in at least one Toastmasters speech, despite having two children), I can see where she noticed the problem with publicly identifying yourself as relevant only to her husband. 

She took the dramatic step of announcing it by saying "THAT WIFE IS DEAD" on her TW instagram (and maybe other places.) 

Jenna is now "Living Absolutely", where she continues to be a mess of self indulgence and contradictions (although, holding fast in her rejection of Mormonism.)  

I saw the other day that she had rebranded and meant to bring it up here but got distracted

she can rebrand all she wants, she is still the same horrible person as when she was that wife.   Lipstick on a pig  yadda yadda yadda

On October 17, 2015 at 4:02 AM, lemondrop said:

The ladycoder thing annoys me so much every time I think about it. I'm more of a systems person than a coder, but I've had to maintain the code of "I wanted to make big money, so I sat through 6 weeks PowerPoint slides and got an expensive certificate"-type people, and it's a scourge! It's like being told to patch a sweater, but you open it, and it's actually a pile of soggy ramen noodles. I'm not saying you need a graduate degree, but you do need some background in theory and basic intuition for mathematical concepts. It's not just daintily copy-band-pasting stuff off snippet sites and indenting it just so. Argh no, stick to Pinterest fails and cocktails.

Everything seems easy until you try making money doing it! people who are good at thier job make it look easy. No such thing as easy money for us common folk!

2 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

What is coding?

sorry, I'm not technical at all.

I think it has to do with software engineering.

I knew people who didn't give their child a last name. So * ended up on a lot of forms (after her hippy dippy first name.)

What is coding?

sorry, I'm not technical at all.

It's writing instructions in a computer language. A simple program (download blog post from a website, count the number of occurrences of "precious" and "blessing") could be a few lines. An app, like your web browser, could be hundreds of thousands of lines of code in many files.

Here's a random website with small code examples written in Java. (Link not broken because it's a university website) https://www.cs.utexas.edu/~scottm/cs307/javacode/codeSamples/URLExpSimple.java

Archived