IGNORED

Maddie Brown Engaged, Married, Pregnant

Closed Womb

Maddie went off to USU last fall. USU is marriage central. The LDS church is encouraging marrying young after dropping the mission age a few years ago. I know so many 18-19-20 year old's that got married this summer. I'm kind of okay with the ones that go to college. USU, UVU. Dixie, all are very supportive of married students, in fact I would say more students are married then single. Then there are the "kids" that marry and have $10 a hr jobs and go right for the dream mini mansion in the suburbs and with the low interest rates, it was crazy to see 19 year olds getting married getting 3500 sf 6 bedroom homes as starter homes.

My concern is I don't believe Caleb's employment is near her college. She lucked out being able to go to USU basically free. It was a lucky few years because of the lowering of the mission age and enrollment dropped that out of state students got in state rates which a dirt cheap and Maddie had a small scholarship.

My husband who grew up with polygamist grandparents and visiting Short Creek , has a feeling Caleb has a polygamist background. While I would say at leatst 50% of my neighbors could say the same thing so that isn't my concern. I just hope Maddie got enough time on her own to find what she really wanted. When she left for college 1 year ago she said she wanted to end up in NYC being a lawyer. Then last winter, 4-5 months after leaving home she was engaged to a guy she knew from her family. He works on mine equipment in a rather rural area. Big difference in her dreams changing in a few months. I hope she is able to finish school and hopefully stay where she is so she doesn't go into debt when she had a free ride at USU.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not surprised that she is engaged. She wanted to get out of that family and out of that lifestyle. I think she sees this as a way of doing so - while still doing something COMFORTABLE.

If I remember correctly, Janelle was married to Meri's brother at one point and her mother married Kody's father. Also, if I remember correctly, didn't Robin live in Montana with her ex husband? It seems that a lot of the Mormon fundies end up in Montana from what I have heard.

Either way, I hope this is really what she wants and not just Maddie looking for a comfortable way out.

I really like Maddie, and I am glad she is happy...but 19 seems so young. And I know this is unfair and just my personal opinion...but big age differences that early in life set an alarm off for me. IMO an almost 30 year old man has no business dating a girl barely out of her teens.

But, again, that is just my opinion, and that is one of the issues I tend to be more conservative about.

Anyways, she is lovely and I wish her nothing but the best.

Last night was pretty dull. Kody and Meri's divorce was final. He and Robyn got married with a justice of the peace (not shown). The previews for this season show them actually in court trying to proceed with the adoption. Does anyone know what's happening with the case to terminate the bio dads rights? I am assuming he is fighting it. I feel like the court would be reluctant to terminate his rights.

I really like Maddie, and I am glad she is happy...but 19 seems so young. And I know this is unfair and just my personal opinion...but big age differences that early in life set an alarm off for me. IMO an almost 30 year old man has no business dating a girl barely out of her teens.

But, again, that is just my opinion, and that is one of the issues I tend to be more conservative about.

Anyways, she is lovely and I wish her nothing but the best.

I'm not fond of the anecdotal evidence that FJers put forth to counter someone's perspective...but here I go!!!

My parents met when Mother was 17 and Daddy was 26. They married two years later and were married until Daddy died 62 years later. However, the difference between then and now is that they met in college after WWII. Mother had just started, and Daddy was back on the GI Bill...and both finished college.

I do hope that Maddie finishes school. The mining industry is very, very iffy.

I'm not fond of the anecdotal evidence that FJers put forth to counter someone's perspective...but here I go!!!

My parents met when Mother was 17 and Daddy was 26. They married two years later and were married until Daddy died 62 years later. However, the difference between then and now is that they met in college after WWII. Mother had just started, and Daddy was back on the GI Bill...and both finished college.

I do hope that Maddie finishes school. The mining industry is very, very iffy.

This is just my very own personal opinion, I am not saying there is something inherently wrong with i, I just have always felt weird about big age differences at that point in life.

And I love how you refer to them as Mother and Daddy :)

Last night was pretty dull. Kody and Meri's divorce was final. He and Robyn got married with a justice of the peace (not shown). The previews for this season show them actually in court trying to proceed with the adoption. Does anyone know what's happening with the case to terminate the bio dads rights? I am assuming he is fighting it. I feel like the court would be reluctant to terminate his rights.

It is very hard to terminate a father's rights in Utah especially if they are paying child support and are not in jail. The state seems way more concerned with the child being supported and off welfare then a legal adoption. My ex was willing to sign his rights away years over 15 years ago. The court said no, there was a waiting period between divorce and signing away rights and long process. It has been 8 years since my child had any contact with my ex(not even a birthday gift) and a lawyer said don't bother, it will be a waste of money as long as my ex pays support and is an upstanding citizen it would be difficult to have an adoption even if there is no contact. Now would a judge think that Kody with no steady job could support these 3 kids #14-17 better then their dad? I also know the judges in Southern Utah where Robyn was when she was in court before are old school moral. They will see her as someone that had a kid out of wedlock with Kody and got married to him while pregnant with baby #2 and show that she was on welfare for part of their relationship.

I know Robyn's ex was fighting the kids being filmed. I wonder if TLC is paying for the lawyers(like Kate Gosselin) to help the Browns possibly win? If I were the ex husband I would sure use that clip of Kody on TV saying David Jr (Dayton) is just quirky and odd and that he doesn't have autism.

I don't mind the age difference. Maddie will turn 20 soon and some people are just more/less mature than other people their age. So what, they're two consenting adults. I hope that this is what they really want. If it is, more power and happiness to them.

Silverspoons, I agree and I've always thought the adoption would be a long shot. And that the marriage was pointless! It doesn't make her any more "stable" since it's well known he has three other wives - and kids with each of them. He's like, not at all stable! I don't think they'll be able to keep their houses after the show ends.

It is very hard to terminate a father's rights in Utah especially if they are paying child support and are not in jail. The state seems way more concerned with the child being supported and off welfare then a legal adoption. My ex was willing to sign his rights away years over 15 years ago. The court said no, there was a waiting period between divorce and signing away rights and long process. It has been 8 years since my child had any contact with my ex(not even a birthday gift) and a lawyer said don't bother, it will be a waste of money as long as my ex pays support and is an upstanding citizen it would be difficult to have an adoption even if there is no contact. Now would a judge think that Kody with no steady job could support these 3 kids #14-17 better then their dad? I also know the judges in Southern Utah where Robyn was when she was in court before are old school moral. They will see her as someone that had a kid out of wedlock with Kody and got married to him while pregnant with baby #2 and show that she was on welfare for part of their relationship.

I know Robyn's ex was fighting the kids being filmed. I wonder if TLC is paying for the lawyers(like Kate Gosselin) to help the Browns possibly win? If I were the ex husband I would sure use that clip of Kody on TV saying David Jr (Dayton) is just quirky and odd and that he doesn't have autism.

They said that her ex was not paying any child support and not seeing the children very much. Obviously, this is Robyn's view. Her ex might have a different story.

The only way Kody is going to be allowed to adopt Robyn's kids is if their dad gives up his rights. My guess is that he isn't going to do that. You don't get to terminate someone's parental rights because you have remarried. Courts are loathe to cut a child off from their biological parent, even if they aren't paying child support. It's nearly impossible to terminate rights and we haven't heard that the kids are being abused by their dad or that he wants nothing to do with them. Hell, they have showed that the kids are regularly taking up to see their dad. Robyn has wanted Kody to be the kids dad since day one. I was horrified when these kids were encouraged to call Kody dad from the beginning. No thought as to whether it was comfortable for them to do so. She just wanted to wipe their father out of their lives. I don't trust Robyn so I will give her ex the benefit of the doubt. Let's not forget that this is the woman who wasn't happy that her husband didn't take sister wives. I just don't like her.

SoCalrules - I agree with you on Robin - I've never liked her. I also hate that her kids were pushed to call Kody dad. Kids need to make those kind of decisions for themselves. Her kids are probably the most traumatized of the bunch.

I thought the divorce and remarriage was for insurance purposes. Merri only has 1 kid while Robyn has a handful. If he carries insurance on his wife and their kids, it makes more sense to cover the wife with the most kids (especially if she's likely to become pregnant again and Merri isn't).

In a quick twist on this story. I read on a website that Maddie's fiancee is actually related to her. He is the brother of an aunt of hers. To read how they are related check out this site.

politicsrusprinciple.tumblr.com/post/129078118863/another-intra-family-marriage-for-kody-browns

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't the brother of her aunt be her uncle? :dontgetit:

Wow! Didn't see that coming... Wish them the best I guess. Sisterwives was on last night and I couldn't even stomach watching them. Robyn and the vegas mansions and I just can't.

Word, I watched Wreck It Ralph with my kids instead :D I did turn to the channel briefly and had to turn it after a minute, Meri was in her office rambling on about the divorce not meaning anything while looking as miserable as humanly possible. Robyn is a snake in the grass, I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her.

I would have though Mariah would be the first to get engaged since she was so gung-ho about the polygamy lifestyle when she left for college a few years back, isn't she a junior now? I wonder if she's even been asked out? Her personality is anything but pleasant. I believe the oldest son Logan is a senior and he's been with his girlfriend for a while, they look really cute together and she wears bikinis, gasp! Glad he's in no rush to get engaged though.

I really hope that Maddie isn't pregnant or getting married just to have sex because those are poor reasons for marriage.

Why is everyone thinking she'll quit school and start a life in polygamy? Maddie is probably the most opinionated, self-determined of all the older kids and perfectly capable of making her own decisions. She's not a sheltered ATI girl, FFS.

I will defend the Browns over all ATIers any day despite their fucked up family dynamics. Maddie enjoyed a proper education, has a self-determined mother whose self-confidence is continuously growing, parents who love her and support her decisions. Her decision to marry does not read at all like it's been made under pressure of her family. They've been shown to support Maddie even though they might not be completely in love with her choices, but as long as she gave a proper explanation they had her back.

When Mykelti had her first boyfriend, Kody gave the infamous kissing speech but they stuck it out with their teeth clenched. The Browns are not prison guard parents a la Duggar/Bates/Maxwell.

Sometimes I feel like people on FJ expect fundies to never rethink a decision or revise a plan once it's been stated in public. How many of us said and planned something that turned out to be hollow and crude years later? Hell, Maddie was 17 and still weaning from the rebellious age when she rolled her eyes at marriage and polygamy. She'll turn 20 soon, plans can change. Maybe she herself was a little surprised by the proposal but found that that's what she really wants now? Meh. :shrug:

Her marrying at a young age does not mean she's suddenly become any more fond of polygamy either. Even if she did, it's her choice. Just because I find the idea of a polygamous marriage unappealing, doesn't mean I don't want anyone else to live like that. I want everyone who's captured in a rather isolated culture to have the chance of making up their minds, live away from their secured family fortresses and have an Amish-style rumspringa in order to find out what they really want. If they decide that they want the one life they've ever known, then more power to them.

I agree that the Brown kids are definitely worlds ahead of most ATI kids in knowing about how the world works and that education is important.

It makes me cringe when ATI, etc. fundies use the word "wisdom"- meaning only knowing what your religion wants you know.

Although I think Maddie is still way toooo young to marry, I am glad she is the first to marry, just because she was the first one to say her family's lifestyle is not the one for her. Funny coincidence, but a couple of hours ago I caught an old TLC rerun in which she said that & her and the other kids were discussing their future. Mariah and Mykelti were the ones who said they wish to have sister wives in the future, Mykelti even said she wishes for it to happen sooner in life than later (which worried me) and Maddie said she could never because she was too jealous and at that moment I knew I liked the girl :) so good luck to her and her husband-to-be, hope they met when she was at least 18

Oh I don't think she will go into polygamy. She's been outspoken about that. It's the not being in schook this year that concerns me. Maddie was so driven and super prepared for starting school (going up early, scholarship, working in campus, being a student leader, etc) and the plans for law school, etc that it was a bit shocking to read that she was in a different state, not in school. After seeing her mother having to be a major breadwinner for their family of a zillion, I would think she'd have stuck with that educational opportunity.

But it's not my life, so whatever makes her happy.

Maddie went off to USU last fall. USU is marriage central. The LDS church is encouraging marrying young after dropping the mission age a few years ago. I know so many 18-19-20 year old's that got married this summer. I'm kind of okay with the ones that go to college. USU, UVU. Dixie, all are very supportive of married students, in fact I would say more students are married then single. Then there are the "kids" that marry and have $10 a hr jobs and go right for the dream mini mansion in the suburbs and with the low interest rates, it was crazy to see 19 year olds getting married getting 3500 sf 6 bedroom homes as starter homes.

My concern is I don't believe Caleb's employment is near her college. She lucked out being able to go to USU basically free. It was a lucky few years because of the lowering of the mission age and enrollment dropped that out of state students got in state rates which a dirt cheap and Maddie had a small scholarship.

My husband who grew up with polygamist grandparents and visiting Short Creek , has a feeling Caleb has a polygamist background. While I would say at leatst 50% of my neighbors could say the same thing so that isn't my concern. I just hope Maddie got enough time on her own to find what she really wanted. When she left for college 1 year ago she said she wanted to end up in NYC being a lawyer. Then last winter, 4-5 months after leaving home she was engaged to a guy she knew from her family. He works on mine equipment in a rather rural area. Big difference in her dreams changing in a few months. I hope she is able to finish school and hopefully stay where she is so she doesn't go into debt when she had a free ride at USU.

I'd say that most of the colleges in Utah are supportive of married students, since those who have served missions tend to get married relatively quickly, either through pressure, or they want to avoid committing the serious sin of having premarital sex. I also saw with my youngest stepsister who got back from a mission last fall, that she got married after dating another returned missionary for a brief period. At least in her case, she was friends with him in high school, so it's not like she married someone she just met. Her 20 year old niece on her mom's side got married a couple of weeks before she did, and this summer, she went to the weddings of some of her former missionary companions and friends from high school. At least those who have gotten married are continuing their education, instead of just settling for their Mrs degree.

To me, it sounds like Maddie is like those mainstream Mormons in that she wanted to get married ASAP, even if she doesn't practice polygamy.

On last Sunday's new show, they mentioned Mattie was going to be baptized in the LDS church. They seemed to be respecting her decision, but fearful the church may make her renounce the family because of the Poligamy.

When the family was talking about Maddie being baptized, I thought that Kody and the wives seemed more concerned about losing contact with her than the fact she was joining a different church. If Maddie marries someone in the LDS Church- I seriously doubt her in laws are going to want to spend holidays with the Browns, etc.

Archived