IGNORED

Maddie Brown Engaged, Married, Pregnant

Closed Womb

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have her age wrong. She will be 20 in November per TLC show pages.

Still young, IMO, but I knew she had to be older than 18 now unless she started college really young.

I haven't been watching the show since we cancelled cable. Has this relationship between on the show? It all seems...very fast.

I haven't been watching the show since we cancelled cable. Has this relationship between on the show? It all seems...very fast.

When the information about the Meri divorce and Robyn marriage was revealed, I was out. I canceled the series from my DVR and I deleted anything that was in my queue. That said, I still follow them on this board (and will go to Cynical Jinx's site when there is big news) and it doesn't seem like it was a televised relationship. To which I say, well done Miss Maddie Brown! Sell a few articles to People for some nest-egg cash, but keep your personal life (mostly) out of the public eye (as much as your parents let you, of course.)

Yes, it seems fast. And she is young. And I can't get a read on how secure his kind of job is. AND I think you can't be raised in a household like that (reality TV, infighting -- not polygamy, per se) without wanting to escape it on some level (so I question the quickness and her motivations). But, I'm hoping for the best for her.

I haven't seen every single episode but as far as I know, it wasn't shown or discussed.

It seems pretty fast to me and the age difference is slightly jarring (esp. when I first read her age as 18!), but I can kind of see a few reasons behind it. I mean, I'm sure they love and care about one another of course. But part of me thinks that she was not satisfied with her own family arrangement (particularly plural marriage and the dozens of kids) and is eager to start her own family so she can experience family life in a non-polygamous situation. I don't really know- I'm just speculating.

It says that he fixes mine equipment so it should be a very well paying job and an in demand job. There is a large gold minign industry in Nevada so I think financially they should be fine.

That article also appeared to be confused over her fiancé's name. In the article itself, he was named as Caleb, but in the photo captions he was named as Cody. I hope it's Caleb, I would find it a little odd marrying someone with the same name as my dad...

Didn't she just go off to college or was that a year ago? I certainly hope she will.continue her education, she seemed to have a lot of plans for her future professional life.

This is odd. Not because I am that concerned about the age difference but I'm worried about her not finishing school. That's my biggest concern.

Is there a main Sister Wives thread? I tried to search for it but didn't see any one main thread for the show just different ones about specific events.

Oh man, that is so young to be getting married to someone when about a year ago she was so excited to be leaving her family and going to college. They seem really into each other though and he probably offers her feelings of stability and security which her own father could never provide. Hopefully Caleb is the opposite of her father Kody Brown.

I read on the Cynical Jinx website that her fiancee is related to the wife of Kody's deceased brother's wife so maybe Maddie has known him for a while?

Oh man. She just left home for college, and now this? I'm concerned about her age and their age difference...and reading what Cynical Jinx has to say doesn't improve things. Wonder how long it will take Caleb to feel the pull of the Principle and start advocating for plural marriage...

I agree with the other theories that she's looking for a sense of security. Brought up amidst chaos and too many children, publicly outed as polygamists and (sort of) forced to move, the stress amongst the wives/moms, watching Moriah get the most expensive college while she had to settle... I'd be searching for an escape route, too. Hopefully she picked a safe guy who is less selfish than her father. I'll never get over that douchecanoe driving around in a two seater convertible, courting Robyn, while his wives and kids were stuck at home.

I'm startled. She isn't the kid I would have expected to marry first. She seemed very independent and career-minded. On the other hand, she's also come across as articulate, stubborn and opinionated. it totally seemed like she wanted to escape the family (note-she did go back to utah for college instead of unlv). I was fairly impressed by the way she expressed her desire be mainstream Mormon. I can see her digging in her heels about this. i can also see her doing a full 180 in several years.

Based on what I've read, Mormon women in general are encouraged to marry young, so Maddie getting engaged at 18 isn't that unusual (it seems like most of the women at BYU are there to get their MRS degree and expect to be married by graduation). At least she was able to freely choose her spouse and whether she wanted to be polygamist, which is more than a lot of women raised in the AUB can probably say.

I'm startled. She isn't the kid I would have expected to marry first. She seemed very independent and career-minded. On the other hand, she's also come across as articulate, stubborn and opinionated. it totally seemed like she wanted to escape the family (note-she did go back to utah for college instead of unlv). I was fairly impressed by the way she expressed her desire be mainstream Mormon. I can see her digging in her heels about this. i can also see her doing a full 180 in several years.

I guess getting married early is pretty mainstream Mormom.

I totally thought she would NOT be the first one to marry. I totally thought it wold be Mariah. I'm stunned, but I understand if she is fitting with the LDS traditions, like marrying early. And if she is looking for security that her parents never gave her.

Now I'm off to check out CJ's living room.

ETA: tonight is the season premiere. I wish I had cable. The site I was using to live stream shows has become a pay site. (and they are so hokey I wouldn't want them to have my CC number.

I am not as shocked that it was her. Sure she was very independent and strong willed, and I hope that didn't change. But with her expressing such a desire to be mainstream mormon it was clear she was still pretty religious. They put SO MUCH emphasis on marriage that it's not shocking to me that if she found someone she really loved she would feel the need to affirm it with getting married.

Also he was the one who proposed and is in a much more stable place in his life. It probably would have been different if she dated someone closer to her own age.

Interesting and disappointing. Starcasm article says she is now living in Montana, where he lives. And that she is not at USU this year. I hope she will continue with some schooling, she's a bright young woman.

Interesting and disappointing. Starcasm article says she is now living in Montana, where he lives. And that she is not at USU this year. I hope she will continue with some schooling, she's a bright young woman.

I hope she continues her education too. The last ones I expected to abandon their higher education was Jennelle's kids, simply because she seemed to be the mom that pushed education and cherished her career.

Wow! Didn't see that coming... Wish them the best I guess. Sisterwives was on last night and I couldn't even stomach watching them. Robyn and the vegas mansions and I just can't.

I too am shocked that Maddie is the first Brown kid to be engaged. The last I had read was that Maddie had moved off to college and joined a sorority.

I think the Browns now have 6 kids that are college age. I recently saw a news story that one of Janelle's sons is on the wrestling team at the Air Force Academy. I do like that the Brown's really seem to emphasize education to their children. The rest of their lifestyle is the pits though....

In a quick twist on this story. I read on a website that Maddie's fiancee is actually related to her. He is the brother of an aunt of hers. To read how they are related check out this site.

politicsrusprinciple.tumblr.com/post/129078118863/another-intra-family-marriage-for-kody-browns

Do we know if Maddie ever joined the Mormon church? I know she showed interest on the show but I can't find any more info besides what was said on the show.

Yes, they talked about it on the interview special either before or after the show, and referenced how she may be ostrisized for her parents beliefs.

I echo the sentiment of previous posters, hubby is ex-Mormon and it was very bizarre for him to be unmarried as late as we were (29/30). Many of the guys he grew up with have 4+ kids now. Although the mainstream Mormons tend to really value education, I could see them holding off until they graduate to get married.

Archived