IGNORED

Butthurt fundies sue to adopt foster kids to spank

Phoebe

So, these people want to hit foster kids who have been abused? Fuck them. I hope they are never allowed to foster or adopt children ever.

The fact that these people value clinging to their own preferred discipline strategy over the needs of their potential foster children shows they are unfit to foster. The children deserve better.

It's complete bull for them to say this is a violation of religious freedom. Parents have the right to raise their own children as they see fit (absent abuse obviously,) but there is no right to obtain someone else's child just because they want him or her. Potentially adopted children are not their own yet, and they don't have the right to them unless they meet the eligibility guidelines, which they do not.

Also not all Christians and Jews spank.

The fact that these people value clinging to their own preferred discipline strategy over the needs of their potential foster children shows they are unfit to foster. The children deserve better.

It's complete bull for them to say this is a violation of religious freedom. Parents have the right to raise their own children as they see fit (absent abuse obviously,) but there is no right to obtain someone else's child just because they want him or her. Potentially adopted children are not their own yet, and they don't have the right to them unless they meet the eligibility guidelines, which they do not.

Also not all Christians and Jews spank.

I mean, would it be a violation of religious freedom for a very Muslim family to be passed up to adopt a very Christian child, or vice versa, in favor of families with more similar religious beliefs?

No!

In fact, I usually read very critically into whenever parents claim their rights are being violated by family courts- pretty much time and time again that generally means the court decided that it wasn't in the child's best interests, and they can't admit it to themselves...

Of course these people will proclaim religious discrimination. They are likely expecting a Kim Davis-style outpouring BUT I doubt they will get it. Who besides the hard core Above Rubies crowd would publicly support this?

Islam doesn't believe in the Western concept of adoption. Islam follows what is more a permanent guardianship type system where you are a child's family but there is no erasure of the original family. However, because of this system, adoption is not frequently don't in Islamic nations.

Islam doesn't believe in the Western concept of adoption. Islam follows what is more a permanent guardianship type system where you are a child's family but there is no erasure of the original family. However, because of this system, adoption is not frequently don't in Islamic nations.

My general point still stands though.

A Muslim family would be very unlikely to adopt a Christian child in large part out of respect for that child's religion since they don't believe you can convert a child. CHRISTIAN families sometimes deliberately seek Muslim children to adopt to practice forced conversion. Or, in the case of Ethiopian adoptions, you can see what happened to Hanna Williams where her Orthodox Christianity was denied.

If an Islamic family were seeking to adopt, they would never demand a right to a child not of their own faith, as they would understand preserving the child's religion was important.

This couple sound like missionary adopters. Rescue a child and convert them to your brand of Chridtianity.

I absolutely agree that foster children should never be punished by hitting/spanking, withholding food or interrupting their sleep patterns. These are all things that were used in my house growing up and it just makes me so sick to see people do that to children.

I just think it's so fucked up to spank but not be angry. It sends such a mixed message

I still don't get how if you hit an adult or an animal it is considered assault but it's not for someone who is small and defenseless.

Unfortunately, I've seen pro-spanking parents use this line of thinking in regards to other forms of punishment:

"If you take away an adult's TV, it's theft. If you do it to a child, it's discipline."

"If you confine an adult to his/her bedroom, it's unlawful imprisonment. If you do it to a child, it's discipline."

:roll:

Seeing this makes me wish Kendull was never allowed to adopt and the agency saw her blog before they got the okay since her and her husband participated in the famous all day spanking marathon of her two girls.

Folks refer to this incident fairly frequently. Does anyone have a link? What's the name of the blog?

Excuse my religious language, but God (or whoever) bless you! What a positive impact you had on those two babies. I hope that they will always remember your compassion, and that it will stick with them so that they will practice the same love and peace in their own lives.

Thank you :) I really hope they remember their time with us too, but I very much doubt it, as they were so young. They would come back from their mothers' home after a weekend, and I would have to rewash all their clothes because a) most were filthy, and b) everything smelled of cigarette smoke and vomit. And I'm a smoker :embarrassed: (although NEVER indoors), and noticed it.

I know the aim of the foster care in our case was to help their mum escape a violent domestic situation, get a place of her own with beds for the boys etc., get clean (an addiction to pills), take some parenting classes, and then when all was up to scratch, she'd be given her boys back. I just had a bad feeling about what would happen when they went back for good. For no real reason I could could put my finger on, I just felt really uneasy. But, it wasn't my decision, I knew the time would come, and could only hope they'd be OK.

Archived