IGNORED

Butthurt fundies sue to adopt foster kids to spank

Phoebe

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/christian-parents-fight-for-the-right-to-adopt-some-foster-kids-to-spank-whoever-spares-the-rod-hates-his-son/

"The state argues that many foster children come from abusive homes, so exposure to spanking and other corporal punishment could be traumatizing — but Gregory Magazu said that’s how he shows his Christian love.

“I could see a child coming in our home, seeing discipline handled in a loving and correct way, could actually be beneficial to a child who’s been abused,†Gregory Magazu said."

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

They say they have a desire to help foster children. But they only want children if they are allowed to spank them. So let them get this straight, God wants you to adopt however God's will is conditional on you being allowed to spank. Thank you state of Massachusetts for seeing through that bullshit.

Doesn't spank kids in anger eh? Sounds like they are Pearl followers.

Thank the stars Mass turned them down. I wouldn't be surprised if these types of parents got custody in more conservative states.

"We don't spank in anger."

Then why DO you spank? If you are not angry and you have a clear head, then surely you can think of other ways to handle the kid's misbehavior.

I read that this morning. The comments are just as crazy. They think it is about the right to spank. If you cannot understand why spanking a kid who was abused and exposed to terrible things could be harmful to them, then you don't deserve foster kids. I am not particularly anti-spank, but I don't understand people who feel they have some kind of right to spank, and brag about spanking. Cant you think of other options?

Seeing this makes me wish Kendull was never allowed to adopt and the agency saw her blog before they got the okay since her and her husband participated in the famous all day spanking marathon of her two girls.

Years ago with my ex, we fostered for a time. We were given two little boys aged 5 and 13 months (brothers), and my boys were 6 and 4. The oldest of our two foster kids would visibly flinch when I would tell him that X behaviour wasn't what we do in our house, and why. It broke my heart to see it. I didn't spank my kids, and to see this little boy flinch and ready himself what what was probably a backhander with his mother, was quite upsetting.

Sadly, in the eight months they were with us, he never quite overcame that reflex action, no matter how hard I tried to show him he wouldn't be smacked in our home. When the time came for them to spend time with their mother again, he cried and cried and wrapped his arms around my legs crying "I wanna stay with my new Mummy!". It broke my heart all over again, and even my husband was in tears.

Their mother would have them for weekends for about two months, then was given custody back, although was still under DOCS (our CPS) supervision.

It was made abundantly clear to us that corporal punishment of any child you have in foster care was not on, from the moment we started looking into it. I assume it's still the same.

I'm pretty sure they've done studies that found spanking actually does the opposite of creating kids with "respect for others" despite that stupid meme that pro spanking people keep sharing. Oh, but those were done by WORDLY doctors, unapproved by God and Jesus.

I mean, I wasn't spanked and I also suffer from a psychological condition known as "respect for others."

I have known lots of foster parents who spank their biological children. Generally, if you are turned down, it is because the social workers have a credible reason to believe you will expose foster children to spanking or that you will spank them.

And in the couple's own words is the nugget of concern laid out. They don't just want to hold the right to spank their biological kids, they want to be allowed to have potential foster children witness spankings so they can see how discipline is really handled in their home!

Here's to hoping the courts recognize the admission of intent to emotionally and psychologically abuse foster kids is why they were rejected and not because they are Christians. On the bright side, if the courts do successfully force an approval, there is absolutely no requirement that children be placed in a home simply because you are licensed and smart workers will make it VERY clear all over their file what the deal with these crazies is!

I just think it's so fucked up to spank but not be angry. It sends such a mixed message

I still don't get how if you hit an adult or an animal it is considered assault but it's not for someone who is small and defenseless.

Jesus fucking christ. No brand of Christianity gives you free reign. I am beyond appalled at these 'christians' flying out of the woodwork and having tantrums because their religion is not catered to.

My parents spanked; both were raised with it. Sometimes they'd warn me before, sometimes not, but they only ever did it a handful of times. However, my dad's yelling was way more frightening than spanking ever was. That meant that growing up, I vowed to try to keep cool with my future kids. I find it mind blowing that foster parents wouldn't be able to see the potential psychological damage, but those are the people liable to cause it in the first place.

(I don't have any kids yet, but we've practiced the theory on the dog :lol: )

My parents spanked; both were raised with it. Sometimes they'd warn me before, sometimes not, but they only ever did it a handful of times. However, my dad's yelling was way more frightening than spanking ever was. That meant that growing up, I vowed to try to keep cool with my future kids. I find it mind blowing that foster parents wouldn't be able to see the potential psychological damage, but those are the people liable to cause it in the first place.

(I don't have any kids yet, but we've practiced the theory on the dog :lol: )

I imagine calmly and methodically spanking your kids a la fundie would be the most frightening though. Especially if you did it hard. With a rod.

What they are saying is that all kids are the same and they are unwilling to consider a child's individual needs and concerns and not open to alternatives.

And by sueing, they mistake foster parenting as either a right or a job, when it if in fact a volunteer position that is supposed to be discriminatory in practice and approval.

Years ago with my ex, we fostered for a time. We were given two little boys aged 5 and 13 months (brothers), and my boys were 6 and 4. The oldest of our two foster kids would visibly flinch when I would tell him that X behaviour wasn't what we do in our house, and why. It broke my heart to see it. I didn't spank my kids, and to see this little boy flinch and ready himself what what was probably a backhander with his mother, was quite upsetting.

Sadly, in the eight months they were with us, he never quite overcame that reflex action, no matter how hard I tried to show him he wouldn't be smacked in our home. When the time came for them to spend time with their mother again, he cried and cried and wrapped his arms around my legs crying "I wanna stay with my new Mummy!". It broke my heart all over again, and even my husband was in tears.

Their mother would have them for weekends for about two months, then was given custody back, although was still under DOCS (our CPS) supervision.

It was made abundantly clear to us that corporal punishment of any child you have in foster care was not on, from the moment we started looking into it. I assume it's still the same.

Excuse my religious language, but God (or whoever) bless you! What a positive impact you had on those two babies. I hope that they will always remember your compassion, and that it will stick with them so that they will practice the same love and peace in their own lives.

When are people going to grasp that religious freedom does not mean Christians get to do whatever the hell they want?

Getting Lydia Schatz flashbacks here. (Backstory that her parents were Pearl followers who probably had no idea how to parent a child who beat their child to death http://hsinvisiblechildren.org/2013/05/04/lydia-schatz/)

I'm all for children being adopted but it concerns me when parents go into the process with a huge savior complex and no practical ideas about how to parent a child who is an abuse survivor

If these were Muslims or Atheists or any one other then these self described "Good Christians", most of the people that support them wouldn't.

Back in the days when it was A-OK to beat the crap out of foster kids, a friend of mine was a foster child. His life was hell. And I am quite sure that his belt-swinging foster parents would have described themselves as balanced and reasonable.

I am a current foster parent. I have chosen not to use corporal punishment for my personal children for many reasons, including the need to learn to handle disruptive behavior without hitting. If I hit my child because they have done something wrong whose to say I wouldn't slip and punish my foster children with physical violence. I know that it is a thin line to walk and for me I have to exclude it to stay on this side.

Anyways, I don't want foster parents that can't see how useful non-physical means of discipline can be for their own children. That just means that if these people are choosing to foster to adopt, that once the judge signs the papers it will be a spanking bonanza!

Wait, they want to spank children in front of other children? Dear god, I would think the spanked child In particular would find that pretty traumatic.

We're going to but you on the butt and let Your brother Watch!

Edited because I can spell

Archived