IGNORED

Amy Jordan Duggar Jordan Duggar King Duggar Wedding Part 2

happy atheist

I don't know about anyone else...but we certainly didn't have a dress code. We didn't care how people dressed for our wedding. And I don't think I've ever gotten an invitation that told me how to dress.

That's because you use the wording of the invitation to figure out the dress code. What you'd wear to "Cocktails and Dinner follows ceremony at Ritz Carlton" is different from "Backyard BBQ Wedding." It is acceptable to have a line such as "Black Tie Optional" or any variant of "dress code" on the wedding invitation, but it's largely no longer used except in the very formal-est of weddings (or theme weddings- I did go to one where we were asked to wear our "Hawaiian Best" for a Hula themed wedding/pig roast.)

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think short engagements are kind of a requirement in fundie land. For most people I know the engagement lasts about a year, usually for planning purposes. I am Catholic and to be married in the church, you have to do pre-marital counseling and then try and find a Saturday that isn't already booked for another wedding. This is none negotiable for some people. A lot of people, myself included, only want to be married in their church, or a specific venue for others, and are willing to wait. Plus, some people just like more time for the planning to make the day their dream day. A lot of people have jobs or school and it's harder to find the time to plan quickly. I know a lot of people plan beautiful weddings on short notice, others just want the extra time. I am sorry but fundies do not do weddings well on short notice or on the cheap. Half the time I think the purpose of fundie weddings is to show how low they can go on less time and less money. The brides to be don't have job, school or or pretty much anything else to do with their time so you would think that their weddings would be better put together.

As to wedding attire, I think Jessa looked fine, outside of the weird slip I didn't notice until someone pointed it out. This was an outdoor afternoon wedding in Arkansas and it is a hot day. It's not a place for a full length gown more appropriate for an evening wedding. If this was an evening wedding, I would say that they were all underdressed.

I think it's strictly because the only way they can freely and openly be sexual, move in together, and everything else that non-fundie couples might do before marriage, is to get married. Even if Amy is sexual before getting married, what happens in a marriage is much more wholesome and pure. So you want to get that done right away. As well as, in order to move into together and keep up the wholesome fan base it's also best to get married ASAP.

As for the more hardcore fundies like the Duggars, that's strictly "let's get married so we can stop side hugging and fuck." In a less crass way: because they put off even the most basic relationship things (even going on dates alone) before marriage, naturally they're going to want to get married so they can do all of the things that normal people would do without getting married. And both Jessa and Jill hinted at this concept by making a subtle comment here and there on the last season during their engagements.

To underdressed Duggar's defense (eeeeeeeeeeeeeep) I'm going to point out that Blessa is no longer dressing the entire family post marriage and turning over closet duties to - yeah I forget but someone else. Which excuses the howlers on down.

Still, someone in that family should know how to iron a shirt.

If you are going someplace nice (out in public) iron the shirt or put on a perma press shirt! Sheeesh.

JB's shirts are ironed so they obviously own and iron. USE THE DAMN THING!

Here's a response from Facebook: "Where in the Bible does it say, "thou shalt not where white to a wedding"? It doesn't, that is a silly, man-made rule. It is a late summer wedding, if people want to wear white or a pale color in order to stay cool then so be it." (left the typo in for you)

She was STAYING COOL you guys. And the only way to do that is to wear a white dress at a wedding.

PULEEESE! The last time ME was cool was when she wore a bikini

Do we think Amy Duggar-Jordan-Duggar-King will post any drunken pics from Cancun?? Giant margarita glass in hand?

And do you think she will do the "trash the dress" photo session with her wedding dress? She already did a "trash the dress" engagement photo session.

Personally, I think that "trash the dress" is a terribly vulgar display of conspicuous consumption. If you don't want to keep your wedding dress, donate it to a school drama department or community theatre, or consign it, or simply donate it to a charity so someone with less $$ than you can have a nice wedding dress.

I think wedding dress codes varey from place to place. My sister went to a wedding once & half the guys their wore jeans (& from what she said not nice ones).

Do we think Amy Duggar-Jordan-Duggar-King will post any drunken pics from Cancun?? Giant margarita glass in hand?

And do you think she will do the "trash the dress" photo session with her wedding dress? She already did a "trash the dress" engagement photo session.

Personally, I think that "trash the dress" is a terribly vulgar display of conspicuous consumption. If you don't want to keep your wedding dress, donate it to a school drama department or community theatre, or consign it, or simply donate it to a charity so someone with less $$ than you can have a nice wedding dress.

1. Please dear God, make these drunken Margarita pictures happen! :pray:

2. I don't know if she'll do a trash the dress photo shoot - I'm leaning towards no on that one, but I may wind up being wrong on that one. I don't think she'll donate it though - it'll either be kept (like a lot of women decide) or trashed.

I think it's strictly because the only way they can freely and openly be sexual, move in together, and everything else that non-fundie couples might do before marriage, is to get married. Even if Amy is sexual before getting married, what happens in a marriage is much more wholesome and pure. So you want to get that done right away. As well as, in order to move into together and keep up the wholesome fan base it's also best to get married ASAP.

As for the more hardcore fundies like the Duggars, that's strictly "let's get married so we can stop side hugging and fuck." In a less crass way: because they put off even the most basic relationship things (even going on dates alone) before marriage, naturally they're going to want to get married so they can do all of the things that normal people would do without getting married. And both Jessa and Jill hinted at this concept by making a subtle comment here and there on the last season during their engagements.

Thanks socalrules and Jessa's Feet for answering my question without being gratuitously rude and condescending.

1. Please dear God, make these drunken Margarita pictures happen! :pray:

2. I don't know if she'll do a trash the dress photo shoot - I'm leaning towards no on that one, but I may wind up being wrong on that one. I don't think she'll donate it though - it'll either be kept (like a lot of women decide) or trashed.

I also was thinking that she will do a trash the dress shoot. I really cannot stand that trend either.

Still, someone in that family should know how to iron a shirt.

If you are going someplace nice (out in public) iron the shirt or put on a perma press shirt! Sheeesh.

JB's shirts are ironed so they obviously own and iron. USE THE DAMN THING!

THIS!!! It's not the casual attire that makes them appear underdressed, in my opinion. It's the sloppy, wrinkled clothing. Jeans and a nice shirt would look just fine if they didn't look like they'd dug them out of the bottom of the hamper. I'm sorry, but a tie does nothing to make up for those wrinkles; but then, I have real issues with wrinkles. I iron nearly everything (I'm working on my problem.... :? )

I am in the Midwest and am used to seeing casual attire at all kinds of events, including weddings. But, again...it's those darn wrinkles. :snooty: :snooty:

I grew up fundie lite in a place not too different or far from Springdale, with a school teacher mama who drug me to a million weddings. No matter what kind of a wedding it was - fundie, non-fundie, fancy or not-so-much - everyone pretty much dressed like the Duggars. There was no real formality to it - it was basically your best church clothes. The only exception was the "redneck weddings" which came into vogue for a bit during the CMT reality shows that highlighted them, where everyone wore jeans and camo and there was a big deal made about how informal it was. I halfway expected Amy to have one of those.

Also, with the exception of some cousins of mine who grew up in Florida (and thus had slightly different traditions as far as weddings go) every wedding had cake and punch and mints and occasionally finger sandwiches. Never a meal. So the whole thing about the Duggars being cheap for not having more never rang quite true for me. Heck, I was impressed that Jill did something beyond rainbow sherbert-and-Hawaiian Punch, which was the main drink for fundie weddings growing up.

I also was thinking that she will do a trash the dress shoot. I really cannot stand that trend either.

So that's actually a thing? Dress trashing? I knew someone who was going to do this but it was after her divorce got finalized, not after she got married. To me the dress trashing seems more appropriate after a divorce than immediately after the wedding.

Rings cost as much as a house???

Maybe celebrity rings but houses are a median of 500K in Australia so that is one big ass ring!

Most people spend 15K or less on their rings that I know. That couldn't even get you a deposit on a shoebox ;)

Rings cost as much as a house???

Maybe celebrity rings but houses are a median of 500K in Australia so that is one big ass ring!

Most people spend 15K or less on their rings that I know. That couldn't even get you a deposit on a shoebox ;)

Well, maybe Melania Trump's ring cost as much as MY house, but my rings might have cost as much as a Little Tykes play house. I did "upgrade" a few years ago. I had to have my rings cut off my finger (long story) so my husband offered to let me pick something new rather than repair what might have been weakened rings from the cutting. Anyway, even the new set was definitely not as much as a house.

As for dress trashing, I have to say I'd be pretty irate if my daughter chose to trash her gown after her dad and I paid for it. Even if a bride paid for her own, it just seems so wasteful. A divorce "trashing" is something I could understand though.

My daughter used part of my gown in her wedding bouquets and I have found a charity to which I'm going to donate what remains of mine. If that doesn't work out, I'm going to go with a drama department.

I am way out of the wedding loop as I have never heard of "trashing the dress." How selfish and wasteful. One of my daughters had hers stored for any future daughters of her own who might want to wear it, and the other daughter donated hers to a charity thrift shop for a bride short on funds. And they both bought $99 specials at David's Bridal and "saved the difference" for their honeymoon trips.

I've never understood the appeal of 'trash the dress'. It feels like such a waste. I don't know anyone who has done one, everyone I know has either stored their wedding dress because they wanted to keep it, pulled it apart to make Christening/First Communion gowns for their children, sold the dress and made back a chunk of the money they spent on it, or donated it to charities like the one that provides dresses for military brides or refugee brides. No one I know has been tacky enough to destroy their wedding dress.

I do know a couple of people who had it included in their wedding photography package. One person 'donated' the photography session asking that it be used for family photos of a family who can't afford to get nice photos taken (which I loved) and another just went and bought a $50 white dress and used that for a 'paint fight' with her husband (in an old pair of jeans and a cheap white top from H&M) for some 'fun' photos that while she wouldn't have ever taken otherwise, she got done because she figured 'why not' because they was free.

My mother stored her wedding dress. It's not something I'd ever wear for my own wedding because even if it were to fit me (it hasn't zipped up on me since I was 14 since have much larger breasts than my mother and I'm also taller than her so it would have to be made longer), my mother married in the 80s and the dress is now a very dated style (although it was very stylish for her time).

But I'm hoping to be able to take some material or lace from it one day and incorporate it into my wedding look, even if it's something as simple as taking a little bit of the lace or material and wrapping it around my bouquet.

I'm going to defend Mr. King's douchey comments, and I can't believe I'm doing it. He's been in Amy's life, what 7 years?, so he has seen how Amy's extended family treats her. The quickest way for me to become a bitch is to treat someone I love like shit. I will go full on bitch. Maybe Dillon had just had his fill of the way the Duggars treated Amy and he saw a chance to knock them down a peg or two. I can't say I blame him.

So that's actually a thing? Dress trashing? I knew someone who was going to do this but it was after her divorce got finalized, not after she got married. To me the dress trashing seems more appropriate after a divorce than immediately after the wedding.

It's not really "trashing" the dress as in ruining it. It's a photo shoot where you get dirty and do things that you normally wouldn't do in a wedding dress. Like jumping in the ocean, riding a horse, playing in the mud, etc. Many dresses get horribly dirty just walking around the reception (mine was kind of gross) but clean up surprisingly well. I washed mine in the bathtub with Dawn dish soap and it had some really dark spots on the hem from walking across the parking lot to get in the car (I didn't do a "going away" outfit).

I liked Amy's dress. I wish she'd kept it on at the reception instead of changing into that other thing.

It was pretty tacky of Jessa to try to upstage Amy with her wedding pictures. It is not all about you.

I'm a little late to this discussion (darn job!), but feel compelled to add my 2 cents about the insane Duggar posting of Jessa's wedding pics. They are MAD as hell but don't have any sanctioned way to express it -- so we get delightfully passive-aggressive posts like that. I'm also interested in what they do next! :popcorn2:

On the previous thread, I stated that I liked Amy's reception dress. Having now seen it in full, I rescind my affection. The top is okay, but wtf is going on with the rear? That is just so odd. And why dress like the bridesmaids? I can't understand fundies, and I can't understand their cousins, either, I guess.

I'm also kinda glad she had her tits out and in everyone's faces. If you're going to piss off your fundie family by outing your disapproval of their horrendous first born, go big and keep them angry! Wear a dress you know they'd hate, cuz you love it and that's what counts. At least, I'm hoping that's why she picked it -- she loved it and didn't care what the crazies in her family would say.

[Germany - South, I guess traditions differ here as well]

Usually (all the weddings I've been to or see while walking past a church): Very formal. Men in black suits with ties. Women dresses or trousers but no jeans. Normally a wedding starts with Church at 1pm or so (+/- a couple of hours) followed by a sit down dinner (different courses or a buffet), cake and coffee and a party at night. Last wedding was like that. Dinner and everything else at a hotel, booked for that occasion. Imagine the Royal Wedding from British (or any other) Royal Family. Fewer guest, fewer money but everything else is the same. Palace = hotel. 8-) On the way from Church to the location you usually drive behind everyone else and you blow your horn to let everyone know that someone got married. Technically illegal behaviour but tradition. It is at least a one day event. Breakfast on the next day for immediate family and guest from other regions is common too.

[snip]

I just wanted to tell you that my car horn is broken from blaring it at a Midwestern American wedding with a bride of German descent. Totally worth it.

It's not really "trashing" the dress as in ruining it. It's a photo shoot where you get dirty and do things that you normally wouldn't do in a wedding dress. Like jumping in the ocean, riding a horse, playing in the mud, etc. Many dresses get horribly dirty just walking around the reception (mine was kind of gross) but clean up surprisingly well. I washed mine in the bathtub with Dawn dish soap and it had some really dark spots on the hem from walking across the parking lot to get in the car (I didn't do a "going away" outfit).

Oh, okay, that makes sense. I pictured Hulk-like dress ripping, paint fighting, or something else equally destructive.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived