IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 4

Coconut Flan

I know we've said it before, but I will say it again because it is so baffling to me. How can these fundies who like to live like it is still 1850 have such poor housekeeping/cooking skills? One of the biggest things about being the parent who stays at home is being the one to have the time to meal plan, shop, and cook decent healthy meals that feed your family and prove left-overs. I know for families this large it is easier to use canned and boxed foods but you can do so much with large bags of rice, beans, flour, sugar, potatoes etc. and yet we hardly see the moms in these families doing a competent job of cooking and passing on that knowledge to their daughters. You can save so much money just by doing proper meal planning and shopping, time too.

Watching/reading about Fundie families, this is one thing I really don't get. Planning a good/ healthy meal is not that hard. For example, I love my crock pot and use it a lot to make sure dinner will be ready. Even times, I will cook a bunch of chicken breasts in the crock pot, shred them and we have chicken ready for a couple of meals. Also, I know its "women's work" but ALL kids should be taught to cook, even just the basics of cooking. It should not be up to one kid to cook for the entire family

Also, these moms are at home and have a ton of kids, why not get them involved in meal planning/couponing? Teach them money management, home economics and reading practice for the little ones as part of the school day? Hand out a stack of ads, write the list on a white board and get it done as a team.

Kelly Jo mentioned in one show that they used to just eat frozen dinners. Even multi serve dinners are expensive and not that great for you. That is my emergency, day-has-gone-to-crap backup, maybe a one a month thing.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use meal planning to keep costs down. I shop on a Sunday so all of the week day meals ingredients are available when needed. ( Husband cooks on weekends)

If I have to supplement that shop I find I buy things I don't need and add to my weekly spend. When my girls were younger I had a folder on the kitchen counter with the meal plan for the week on the front and the recipes inside, in order. That way if I was delayed at work, one of the girls could start dinner ( I only have daughters). Now we still share the cooking but at 17 and 19 they chose what they want to cook.

I've said this before and say this again: I have always gotten the impression that usually the ATI families are the ones who eat over-processed crap, while VF leghumpers were more into organic gardening, preserving, and making everything from scratch. They had this pioneer ideal which manifested in many conferences (aka costume opportunities...) and prepper off grid lifestyle.

It's sad when a husband and a baby is a lot less work and stress than living at home, single and unmarried. There's something wrong with that. Kelly, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Sheds a bit more light on why Alyssa married so young. The girl must feel like she's on a vacation after having to do all that.

I've said this before and say this again: I have always gotten the impression that usually the ATI families are the ones who eat over-processed crap, while VF leghumpers were more into organic gardening, preserving, and making everything from scratch. They had this pioneer ideal which manifested in many conferences (aka costume opportunities...) and prepper off grid lifestyle.

Yeah, healthy eating is a major thing among VF flavor fundies. The thought of regularly eating frozen dinners and processed crap makes me shudder.

I know we've said it before, but I will say it again because it is so baffling to me. How can these fundies who like to live like it is still 1850 have such poor housekeeping/cooking skills? One of the biggest things about being the parent who stays at home is being the one to have the time to meal plan, shop, and cook decent healthy meals that feed your family and prove left-overs. I know for families this large it is easier to use canned and boxed foods but you can do so much with large bags of rice, beans, flour, sugar, potatoes etc. and yet we hardly see the moms in these families doing a competent job of cooking and passing on that knowledge to their daughters. You can save so much money just by doing proper meal planning and shopping, time too.

There is no excuse for Kelly Jo to have never fed her 19 kids broccoli regularly, for Jill to not know how to make minute rice, for Erin to have to learn how to really cook after getting married, for Jessa to not even take the owner's manual out of her oven before using it, (although that may have been for the show) for Anna having to learn how to cook with fresh fruits and vegetables, and for poor young Alyssa having to do all the cooking for her parents and 18 siblings. At least this newest generation of fundie wives seems to place more emphasis on healthy eating and cooking. As a poster above me said, Pinterest has a ton of great ideas and step by step pictures to walk you through which is great because so many moms (looking at you Michelle and Kelly Jo) took the easy road out and served overly processed slop.

I don't get this either. Even if you don't want to have the "ebil" internet available in your home, there are so many cookbooks out there. Walk into any used book store and you will find any number of used cookbooks for little cost. There are tons of frugal cooking cookbooks. I was also going to say that you can check cookbooks out from the library, but I think extreme fundies like the Bates and Duggars, avoid going to the library. I guess that's because there are so many non-Gothard-approved books on the shelves.

The legacy of ignorance in these families seems to cut a broad swath. So many of them don't seem to grow any of their own food or raise any animals to provide either dairy or poultry/beef/eggs. I am also blown away that none of the Bates kids ever had broccoli until one of them got married and moved out. Broccoli is usually quite affordable and incredibly easy to steam up in less than no time, top it with a little salt and butter and voila - a wonderful veggie packed with nutrients.

All I can say is those fundies better hope there isn't an apocolypse, because they would probably be the least prepared among us. Once the canned goods ran out, they'd be lost.

I don't get this either. Even if you don't want to have the "ebil" internet available in your home, there are so many cookbooks out there. Walk into any used book store and you will find any number of used cookbooks for little cost. There are tons of frugal cooking cookbooks. I was also going to say that you can check cookbooks out from the library, but I think extreme fundies like the Bates and Duggars, avoid going to the library. I guess that's because there are so many non-Gothard-approved books on the shelves.

The legacy of ignorance in these families seems to cut a broad swath. So many of them don't seem to grow any of their own food or raise any animals to provide either dairy or poultry/beef/eggs. I am also blown away that none of the Bates kids ever had broccoli until one of them got married and moved out. Broccoli is usually quite affordable and incredibly easy to steam up in less than no time, top it with a little salt and butter and voila - a wonderful veggie packed with nutrients.

All I can say is those fundies better hope there isn't an apocolypse, because they would probably be the least prepared among us. Once the canned goods ran out, they'd be lost.

Yes this! I do not understand. The Bates have so much land how are they not utilizing all of this opportunity? Nvm they also have the free labor lol.

Also, my grandma used to call my mom the freeze queen because she used so much frozen stuff. So it's not like I don't see the benefit of frozen things. But my mom used them as a smart supplement. We weren't just eating frozen dinners every night. (though I did love me some kids cuisine hehehe)

I never understood why the fundies we've seen on t.v. didn't have large gardens and at least a few chickens either. That has to be God approved, right, what's closer to nature and God than growing your own food? And they have enough kids to work on it. I wonder how the garden the Bates put in last season is doing anyway? I bet it was all for show.

Erin posted in Instagram tonight that Chad had updated his blog. In it, he says that they have a special announcement coming up that they will be thrilled to share with us, that he is pumped up about it but can't share the news yet.

Hmmmmm.

chadsperspective.blogspot.com/

Erin posted in Instagram tonight that Chad had updated his blog. In it, he says that they have a special announcement coming up that they will be thrilled to share with us, that he is pumped up about it but can't share the news yet.

Hmmmmm.

At first I thought maybe they were moving, because wasn't the original plan to move near his family? But that would be hard for Erin so I don't know why he'd be so "pumped" about it. I refuse to entertain the idea that she is pregnant. I'm going to guess they are buying a house.

At first I thought maybe they were moving, because wasn't the original plan to move near his family? But that would be hard for Erin so I don't know why he'd be so "pumped" about it. I refuse to entertain the idea that she is pregnant. I'm going to guess they are buying a house.

I'm thinking a side business with his furniture redo's.

Hmmmmm.

Since this is a fundie announcement, does it mean that Carson's going to be a big brother? With all of Erin's health problems with the pregnancy, I would hope they wait until Carson is at least 1.

Carson will only be 4 months old tomorrow. Say she got pregnant 2 months ago I don't believe they would announce this early considering how late they announced last time. Besides, if it was a baby announcement it would say that 'they' have an announcement, not just Chad. Must be work related. Guess we'll find out soon.

Edited because I just read his post and he said 'we' have an announcement. Still don't think it's a baby. Maybe the house thing then.

Carson will only be 4 months old tomorrow. Say she got pregnant 2 months ago I don't believe they would announce this early considering how late they announced last time. Besides, if it was a baby announcement it would say that 'they' have an announcement, not just Chad. Must be work related. Guess we'll find out soon.

Edited because I just read his post and he said 'we' have an announcement. Still don't think it's a baby. Maybe the house thing then.

They could feel that because they have Carson in arms, that they know how to successfully manage Erin's condition and don't feel the need to wait to announce. Of course all children are a blessing, but like a lot of you, I'd been hoping that they would wait to have more children... I would hate for something to happen to their little family.

I think it's either a career announcement, they're moving, or Erin is pregnant again. Leaning heavily towards the latter, considering they're fundies and Erin seems very fertile.

We eat a lot of freezer meals. Every other Saturday I head off to the grocery store and stock up on all the needed items. Then on Sunday I spend the afternoon making meals for the next two-three weeks. Everything goes into the freezer and gets pulled out the night before. I just started doing this a few weeks ago but since it's going so well I think I'll start doing once a month bulk shopping at Sams and just picking up what I need fresh every two weeks. I have no clue why the fundies couldn't do something like this.

I think Chad's announcement may be the release date for Erin's new CD. She mentioned she was recording a Christmas album a few weeks back. Chad said he was "proud" about the announcement & we all know he is very supportive of her music career. He probably can't share any more information until she finishes it.

I think Chad's announcement may be the release date for Erin's new CD. She mentioned she was recording a Christmas album a few weeks back. Chad said he was "proud" about the announcement & we all know he is very supportive of her music career. He probably can't share any more information until she finishes it.

I think this is the best guess so far

I'm thinking a side business with his furniture redo's.

That's what I guess, too. He said he likes it a lot and he seems to be good at it. I doubt Erin is pregnant again.

For Gothardites, Erin and Chad have, been pretty open about the emotional & physical trials to bring Carson into the world, & they also waited pretty late to announce his pregnancy. So I doubt that Chad would use the term "pumped" to describe another pregnancy, or that they would announce it so early. So I agree with posters that the announcement could be Erin's new CD. Possibly buying a house. Or--how delicious-- another Bates-Paine courtship? Although we haven't seen any evidence of that.

We eat a lot of freezer meals. Every other Saturday I head off to the grocery store and stock up on all the needed items. Then on Sunday I spend the afternoon making meals for the next two-three weeks. Everything goes into the freezer and gets pulled out the night before. I just started doing this a few weeks ago but since it's going so well I think I'll start doing once a month bulk shopping at Sams and just picking up what I need fresh every two weeks. I have no clue why the fundies couldn't do something like this.

Because that would require work, and work is not for Jesus' Chosen People .

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived