IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 4

Coconut Flan

I will give Erin the benefit of the doubt as to her cooking improving. My friend could only cook bacon, I kid you not. Had no idea how to even make a grilled cheese sandwich. She thought you baked it. What happens? She discovered Pinterest and now she is making turkey dinners and baking up a storm. I am amazed how good she had gotten in only a couple of years. Erin likely has more time on her hands than my friend and can regularly cook dinner, etc.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wooooaaahhh. I had heard that they would travel with him but I didn't know he paid for it. Travelling with him is still concerning on its own, but him paying specifically so they could be with him is a HUGE red flag with his track record.

I am not willing to believe it was some kind of gift to Gil and his family, cause then boys would have been invited. They're the ones that need to be leaders anyway so if it was just a gift it would make more sense to bring the boys to teach them a thing or too.

Ugh those poor girls.

I agree this is a huge red flag. I hope they weren't invited to sit with him in his car or by him on the plane, etc.

I will give Erin the benefit of the doubt as to her cooking improving. My friend could only cook bacon, I kid you not. Had no idea how to even make a grilled cheese sandwich. She thought you baked it. What happens? She discovered Pinterest and now she is making turkey dinners and baking up a storm. I am amazed how good she had gotten in only a couple of years. Erin likely has more time on her hands than my friend and can regularly cook dinner, etc.

My learning to cook was greatly aided by Pinterest too. The internet is a great thing.

Re: Whitney and her bio parents - my parents were foster parents when I was young. A lot of the kids we had were removed because of abuse or neglect, but they still loved their parents and wanted to see them. They completely understood on an intellectual level that their parents had done bad things that resulted in losing custody. That bond was still there. Cutting them off wasn't a black and white issue for them.

I agree this is a huge red flag. I hope they weren't invited to sit with him in his car or by him on the plane, etc.

I have a feeling they were more than "invited". They were probably "encouraged" if not outright told to sit by him. He is paying for the trip, so he calls the shots. If there is a hell, I hope there is an extra hot spot for sickos like this.

That is odd, because when Erin got engaged, didn't they kid her about not knowing how to cook? Maybe she's a fast learner.

I hope that the Pecan Thief had the visiting family over for a BBQ and we get to see pictures. And if he and Pris didn't wear matching shifts for the occasion I will be pissed. Do you think Brandon & Michaela are going to do the matchy matchy thing?

I can't remember who it was, but in one article Kelly talked about how a daughter was responsible for cooking all the meals, every day by the time she was 12, but I don't think it was Erin.

Technicaly, jessa and ben did it too

ben-seewald-and-jessa-duggar.jpg?w=600

Haha. Is anyone else but me amused by the way Jessa's pink is a warm orangey-pink so that Jim Bob can wear a shirt that's more properly orange and get away without wearing pink?

Maybe not that thought-out... but maybe it is.

I can't remember who it was, but in one article Kelly talked about how a daughter was responsible for cooking all the meals, every day by the time she was 12, but I don't think it was Erin.

You're right, and it was Alyssa. I think that's why Erin just never got a lot of practice and so in the rare cases when Alyssa may have been away and Erin did have to cook it wasn't particularly great (can you imagine if you've never really cooked before and now you have to feed 20 people?!).

I think once she got married, Erin discovered that she really liked cooking and she has obviously gotten a lot of practice over last two years. I also remember an episode from the first season of BuB where Cherin had a couple of her little siblings over for dinner and they ate broccoli for the first time in their lives. Who the hell has never had broccoli? I think that tells you a LOT about the quality of the Bateses meals. Good for Erin for making a change!

You're right, and it was Alyssa.

No wonder Alyssa was in a hurry to marry and move! Taking turns would have been more appropriate. Since it's so gosh-darned hard to "learn" to do housework they could have rotated the duties so all the girls got to learn to cook mountains of frozen burritos, box mac n cheese and the other stuff families that big and that poor likely rely on.

You're right, and it was Alyssa. I think that's why Erin just never got a lot of practice and so in the rare cases when Alyssa may have been away and Erin did have to cook it wasn't particularly great (can you imagine if you've never really cooked before and now you have to feed 20 people?!).

I think once she got married, Erin discovered that she really liked cooking and she has obviously gotten a lot of practice over last two years. I also remember an episode from the first season of BuB where Cherin had a couple of her little siblings over for dinner and they ate broccoli for the first time in their lives. Who the hell has never had broccoli? I think that tells you a LOT about the quality of the Bateses meals. Good for Erin for making a change!

Cooking for two people is far less intimidating than preparing a meal for 21. Erin probably benefited from a year of cooking for only Chad (the newly-wed cliche of eating charred food with a smile rings true!) Chad is also extremely supportive and steps in to help when needed which makes cooking enjoyable and not a chore.

I too became a better cook because of pinterest. With a photograph of each step and ingredients that are simple (read: not scary) I transformed from the girl who could burn water to a decent cook. Once I felt comfortable with a number of dishes, I began to branch out on my own with confidence.

It's sad when a husband and a baby is a lot less work and stress than living at home, single and unmarried. There's something wrong with that. Kelly, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Haha. Is anyone else but me amused by the way Jessa's pink is a warm orangey-pink so that Jim Bob can wear a shirt that's more properly orange and get away without wearing pink?

Maybe not that thought-out... but maybe it is.

They didn't go all matchy matchy as a couple. Sure each family wore one wedding color.

Go to the WTF Fundie Families tumblr and search 'Once a bride always a Duggar" to go back to Josh and Anna's engagement. They had a matching brown and white striped polo shirt that they both wore at the same time. That's what I'm talking about with matchy matchy. And let's not forget the creepy pillowcase.

http://wtffundiefamilies.tumblr.com/tag ... gar/page/5 (not sure if I have to break this or not as it's a site snarking on fundies).

Everything fundies do during courtship most of us get out of our system in high school. Matching clothes and showing off how strong your relationship is by holding hands. As though anyone who has had more than one date is jealous if that. I still remember the pictures of Jill and Derrick holding hands as they ate. It's sand when people in their 20s act like 16 year olds and act like they are showing up other people in their 20s.

I get and agree that it's super annoying to see couples holding hands constantly. AND I've been seeing my partner for 6 months and she and I hold hands constantly, when we eat, when we drive, even sometimes when I cook lol we are just at the early stage in our relationship and just can't stop touching. I'm sure it's hella annoying to others tho

They didn't go all matchy matchy as a couple. Sure each family wore one wedding color.

Go to the WTF Fundie Families tumblr and search 'Once a bride always a Duggar" to go back to Josh and Anna's engagement. They had a matching brown and white striped polo shirt that they both wore at the same time. That's what I'm talking about with matchy matchy. And let's not forget the creepy pillowcase.

http://wtffundiefamilies.tumblr.com/tag ... gar/page/5 (not sure if I have to break this or not as it's a site snarking on fundies).

I know this is a stupid detail but Michelle and Jessa are wearing CORAL, not pink..not orange.. Jim bob's is a softer coral, more orangey... Ok i'm annoying, bye :lol:

I know this is a stupid detail but Michelle and Jessa are wearing CORAL, not pink..not orange.. Jim bob's is a softer coral, more orangey... Ok i'm annoying, bye :lol:

I took one of those online tests that are supposed to tell you the level of color variation you can see. We were designing a website at work and someone thought it would be a fun waste of time since we were forever painting that damn bike shed.

Anyway, I was the worst. I couldn't believe the nuances in color other people could see compared to me so while I'm impressed there is such a thing as coral and you know what it is...that's nothing but orange to me!

Apropos of nothing I hate the color orange - all earth tones really - they look terrible on me.

Eta this is the test .xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

I scored zero... apparently I have perfect colour vision. I'm going to show this to my mother to prove that sweater she insisted was grey and I said was purple really was purple. 8-)

That is very, very cool.

I scored 4 -- so not perfect, but pretty good (I guess). I did not expect that, I thought I would be pretty bad.

I scored 18. That was really interesting, and apparently I'm not that great at it! :lol:

Re: the thing with foster parents though, I wonder how long Whitney lived with them. I would think a decent amount of time if they full on adopted her. It just bothers me that they were the ones there for her during her wedding and now it seems like they don't exist.

And Alyssa cooking, I remember her saying she's the person who would rather eat cereal for every meal, that's cut to suck if you're in charge of cooking when you'd prefer something quick like that.

MynameisBuffy that test was really cool! I scored 1.. So I guess i'm kinda good at it. I know I'm lame because i know coral lol, back in May I was a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding and we got to choose the dress in CORAL... Another friend bought a carmine dress saying it was coral and i teased her a lot because it wasn't that shade... I'm sooooo showing her the test :lol: and i feel ya about not liking some colors... I hate yellow with a burning passion and i think i look horrible in it.

About Alyssa preferring cereal instead of cooking reminds me of my mom, she's a great cook but she doesn't like it, she'd rather have a bowl of special K than cooking a full meal.. :? so maybe Alyssa doesn't like cooking.

MynameisBuffy that test was really cool! I scored 1.. So I guess i'm kinda good at it. I know I'm lame because i know coral lol, back in May I was a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding and we got to choose the dress in CORAL... Another friend bought a carmine dress saying it was coral and i teased her a lot because it wasn't that shade... I'm sooooo showing her the test :lol: and i feel ya about not liking some colors... I hate yellow with a burning passion and i think i look horrible in it.

About Alyssa preferring cereal instead of cooking reminds me of my mom, she's a great cook but she doesn't like it, she'd rather have a bowl of special K than cooking a full meal.. :? so maybe Alyssa doesn't like cooking.

I couldn't remember my score so i took it again - I got a 60. This is why I should not be allowed to buy paint, furniture, or curtains without assistance!

I hate yellow on me and I don't like most shades in any context but there is one shade of pale yellow which I think can look pretty in some kitchens. Reminds me of a scene in an old movie 'Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House' where Myrna Loy is telling the contractor to exactly match the color of freshly churned butter.

I loved that test because it got people to stop asking my opinion on shade for fonts since I just pointed to the test as proof they were all the same to me.

I had forgotten that was Alyssa's job at home. That's really brutal. I don't mind cooking if I'm in the mood but for 21 is really daunting. And 21 on a tight budget? I can't imagine how grueling that would be since their isn't s lot of room to experiment.

When I think of these mega families I am amazed they don't have serious issues with more if their kids with moods, anxiety, etc. if I'd been born into s family like that as one old enough to be a sistermom I would resent it so much...but the lack of privacy and just alone time to think and recharge would have really damaged me, I think. Some of my best childhood memories are laying in the yard near the lilac bush and reading for hours, or in my room with headphones or a book just lost in my own head. I loved hanging out with my friends, don't get me wrong, but my need to hang out in my own mind is far greater.

You'd think more kids from those kind of families would snap from the constant interaction.

I couldn't remember my score so i took it again - I got a 60. This is why I should not be allowed to buy paint, furniture, or curtains without assistance!

I hate yellow on me and I don't like most shades in any context but there is one shade of pale yellow which I think can look pretty in some kitchens. Reminds me of a scene in an old movie 'Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House' where Myrna Loy is telling the contractor to exactly match the color of freshly churned butter.

I loved that test because it got people to stop asking my opinion on shade for fonts since I just pointed to the test as proof they were all the same to me.

I had forgotten that was Alyssa's job at home. That's really brutal. I don't mind cooking if I'm in the mood but for 21 is really daunting. And 21 on a tight budget? I can't imagine how grueling that would be since their isn't s lot of room to experiment.

When I think of these mega families I am amazed they don't have serious issues with more if their kids with moods, anxiety, etc. if I'd been born into s family like that as one old enough to be a sistermom I would resent it so much...but the lack of privacy and just alone time to think and recharge would have really damaged me, I think. Some of my best childhood memories are laying in the yard near the lilac bush and reading for hours, or in my room with headphones or a book just lost in my own head. I loved hanging out with my friends, don't get me wrong, but my need to hang out in my own mind is far greater.

You'd think more kids from those kind of families would snap from the constant interaction.

:lol: yeah, you shouldn't pick paint! I draw and paint so i guess that's why i'm good with colors.

And I agree, Alyssa probably hates cooking... Being a sister mom ain't easy, i was one and I have anxiety, bouts of depression and i'm surprised i like kids :lol: these families paint a picture of perfection but i bet they ALL have major issues.

I know we've said it before, but I will say it again because it is so baffling to me. How can these fundies who like to live like it is still 1850 have such poor housekeeping/cooking skills? One of the biggest things about being the parent who stays at home is being the one to have the time to meal plan, shop, and cook decent healthy meals that feed your family and prove left-overs. I know for families this large it is easier to use canned and boxed foods but you can do so much with large bags of rice, beans, flour, sugar, potatoes etc. and yet we hardly see the moms in these families doing a competent job of cooking and passing on that knowledge to their daughters. You can save so much money just by doing proper meal planning and shopping, time too.

There is no excuse for Kelly Jo to have never fed her 19 kids broccoli regularly, for Jill to not know how to make minute rice, for Erin to have to learn how to really cook after getting married, for Jessa to not even take the owner's manual out of her oven before using it, (although that may have been for the show) for Anna having to learn how to cook with fresh fruits and vegetables, and for poor young Alyssa having to do all the cooking for her parents and 18 siblings. At least this newest generation of fundie wives seems to place more emphasis on healthy eating and cooking. As a poster above me said, Pinterest has a ton of great ideas and step by step pictures to walk you through which is great because so many moms (looking at you Michelle and Kelly Jo) took the easy road out and served overly processed slop.

In an ideal world everyone would teach their kids of either sex how to cook properly so they don't enter adulthood eating frozen meals or fast food because they don't know what to do. I guess in fundieland the women are too busy having to be available at any moment to pleasure her husband to make proper meals.

I've done that test with physical chips (my FIL is an optometrist and has them in the office). I believe I got 2 wrong in the time you are allowed. Given enough time, even my DH, who has poor color discrimination on other tests, got a good score. It seems harder to do online with the monitor display differences.

I also scored 4. I'm curious whether my results would've turned out better if I'd done this test in broad daylight and in the morning, after my eyes are rested?

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived