IGNORED

Seriously Dads from 26th Aug: Are You A Spiritual Leper?

mango_fandango

I wish they could have the whole family sit in front of the large video screen and watch the first season of the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. She reminds me of what would happen if one of the younger ladies decided to split the premises. And Steve (HI!!!!!!!!!) must be duct taped and have a gag on while they watch it.

Tee hee.

:nenner:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve has seen the real world and it is EVIL. And tastes bad.

I've always found this old blog post interesting. Oh, the trepidation. The upcoming "trial!" How did Dad convince the childults in advance that seafood is supposed to taste bad? Even his leg-humpers took issue with that. Note: in Maxhell Down Under does not mean Australia. ;)

blog.titus2.com/2008/10/03/a-delicacy-from-down-under/

The lobster post is a classic. He did everything he could to make sure no one would like it, probably because HE doesn't like it. And where Stevus goes, everyone else must go too. There's no room in Maxhell for individuality.

Frankly, I'm not the biggest fan of lobster either, but at least I've had tried it several ways from some really great restaurants and lobster stands.

Sometimes I really wonder if Steve is convinced he is right. He lived in the real world; he served in the military and was stationed overseas. We have often times wondered about his antics while in Thailand and how well he behaved. He and Teri attended college; they have traveled extensively in the U.S. The point I am long-windedly trying to make is that Steve has seen the real world and lived in it, while his children have not. He doesn't strike me as a total dumbass, so he must realize on some level that he is not right and that most people manage to live happy, productive lives without being isolated from absolutely everybody. At this point, maybe he is just too far gone to man up and say that he was wrong and that he has infantilized his kids and prevented them from some of the wonderful things life has to offer.

Or maybe I am hoping that Steve isn't convinced he is right, because he really freaking scares me.

This is such an interesting discussion.

I believe Steve really does believe he is right, but yes, how does he justify (to himself) all the people that live much less isolated lives and do just fine?

Something about the real world scared the crap out of Steve. Whether it was his parents divorce, or maybe he wasn't treated well by his step-father?

Maybe he saw his children getting older and more independent and decided he needed a way of hanging on to them?

Maybe he lived a life of debauchery prior to his marriage and feels guilty?

Maybe he was always a control freak and it's gotten worse and worse as he's gotten older?

I'd love to know.

Actually, I think that Steve has inadvertently hit the nail on the head with this analogy.

HE is a "spiritual leper". He is ill and is treating it the way leprosy was traditionally treated - by isolation from the world in a small colony where everyone else is infected with the same illness. A colony where people lose parts of themselves to the disease (in the Maxwell's case- they lose their independence, individuality and joie de vie). He does all this when there is in fact a cure for leprosy. Just as real leprosy can be cured by a simple antibiotic so can his "spiritual leprosy" be cured with actually teaching his children in a way that allows them to be free and independent and allowing his wife to have her depression treated properly and letting his death grip on his family loose.

Well said! :thumbsup3:

Steve has seen the real world and it is EVIL. And tastes bad.

I've always found this old blog post interesting. Oh, the trepidation. The upcoming "trial!" How did Dad convince the childults in advance that seafood is supposed to taste bad? Even his leg-humpers took issue with that. Note: in Maxhell Down Under does not mean Australia. ;)

blog.titus2.com/2008/10/03/a-delicacy-from-down-under/

Oh yeah the lobster "experience" another favorite Maxwell story of mine. I'm sure Steve deliberately set the kidults up to think lobster is bad.

BTW, we ate breakfast with a French Acadian who loves seafood too and he said his favorite way to cook fish is to boil it. I never heard of that, but he said it is wonderful. We will give it a try sometime.

French Acadian? lol. Rather redundant. At any rate, I've only heard of boiled fish if it's been salted, i.e. salt cod, and is being used for fishcakes.

Ok, that recipe is weird.

(1) why would you specify "kosher salt"? Surely anyone who cares will use kosher salt automatically

(1a) just occurred to me that surely seafood isn't kosher anyway? I could be completely wrong here.

(2) One and a half quarter well that's ok thencups???? Of salt??? - NB I didn't read the directions because a stupid video came up and wouldn't load, so maybe the salt all gets wiped off before cooking?

Oh yeah the lobster "experience" another favorite Maxwell story of mine. I'm sure Steve deliberately set the kidults up to think lobster is bad.

And for a family in which colour-coordinating buttons are viewed as being defrauding, WTF is going on with the "first time she swallowed" photos.

Really?? :lol:

(1) why would you specify "kosher salt"? Surely anyone who cares will use kosher salt automatically

(1a) just occurred to me that surely seafood isn't kosher anyway? I could be completely wrong here.

Kosher salt is confusingly named. It's not that some salt is kosher to eat and other salt isn't. It's that this grade of salt (bigger flakes) is useful for a particular kosher process: salting the blood out of kosher meat.

http://www.thekitchn.com/kosher-salt-wh ... nce-219665

But it's also useful for other things - like apparently a seafood boil!

I'm going to take a guess and say that for some fundies, the hate they have for the outside world is because they were outcasts to begin with, and were rejected by society at large. Or, at least they felt they were. In Steve's case, I have to wonder if his enormous ego wasn't being recognized, thus building up resentment towards the world, and that was the catalyst for him becoming fundie.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Steve has a very inflated view of himself, and is angered when other people don't view him the way he views himself (a totally awesome genius).

Kosher salt is confusingly named. It's not that some salt is kosher to eat and other salt isn't. It's that this grade of salt (bigger flakes) is useful for a particular kosher process: salting the blood out of kosher meat.

Kosher salt grains are also much larger than table salt, so if you don't specify the type of salt, whatever you're making could either be under- or over-seasoned by if you go by measurement alone. I'm a hobby baker and use either sea salt or kosher salt, but it's always by weight (grams) not volume. 5 grams of salt is still 5 grams, not matter what salt you use.

Steve is a megalomaniac.

Oh, fish boils are delicious. The guy was probably talking about something like this, waaaaaaay too fun and flavorful for Maxhell. Seafood boils are major feasts. We made one for our New Years Eve party a few years ago and I still dream about it.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/C ... afood-Boil

I was just coming over to post something similar. My sister has lived in Louisiana 2 separate times, I've worked with people from there and these kinds of Cajun Crawfish or other fish boils are very popular--they are also popular some places along the coast of Texas, where I sometimes go for work, so I've been to a few and hosted one!

How Dad Made Us Hate Lobster

We were in New Brunswick traveling to a conference in Moncton. New Brunswick is in Canada and Canada is by the ocean, There were many foreign things to see. Lots of signs are in both French and English and we had fun trying to understand them.

We noticed people eating bread rolls stuffed with something that looked like chicken salad. We asked a Canadian Arcadian gentleman what they were and he said they were lobster rolls. We asked Dad if we could try one.

Dad said no. They were too expensive and they are made from red scavengers that crawl across the ocean floor. We were disappointed because we were so tired of green smoothies and cheese paper sandwiches made with stale bread. Perhaps it showed.

Dad got angry because we were desiring forbidden fruit. He said he thought as a family we needed a Biblical lesson. Lobsters are an abomination unto the Lord.

Dad wanted us to be able to try lobster so we could understand. He went down to the wharf and bought two very small cooked lobsters. The sign said jumbo shrimp, but Dad is always right so they must have been lobsters. Shrimp must be French for lobster.

We took the lobsters back to Uriah. Dad cut up one lobster into tiny pieces. He pointed out the veiny thing down the back and said that it held lobster poop but we had to eat it. He pointed to the legs and the shell, and said we must eat them too. Dad is so considerate though and didn't make us eat the head and the tail. We thought lobster was disgusting even though we only got a tiny piece each - and we spat it out again.

Dad said that he knew we wouldn't like it because it was EVIL and we are a perfect family devoted to the LORD. He said that as we had been so brave he would eat the other lobster all by himself. He took the shell off and the veiny thing out too because lobster is very dangerous even to somebody as Godly as Dad.

Leviticus 11: 12

Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Sarah, for the rest.

(I have far too much fun channeling Sarah.)

Ok, that recipe is weird.

(2) One and a half quarter well that's ok thencups???? Of salt??? - NB I didn't read the directions because a stupid video came up and wouldn't load, so maybe the salt all gets wiped off before cooking?

Specifying kosher salt as opposed to table salt or sea salt is just to make sure the people cooking the recipe use the same amount of salt as the people who wrote the recipe, so things don't turn out over- or under-salted. Different kinds of salt have different volumes per weight. It doesn't mean the recipe is kosher.

And in this fish boil recipe, you dissolve a cup of salt in two gallons of water to quick-brine several pounds of shelfish, then pour it out. Next you dissolve another quarter cup of salt in another two gallons of water, along with creole seasoning, old bay seasoning, cayenne pepper, and various aromatics, and use that water to boil the fish, potatoes, corn, and the rest of the meal. It doesn't taste like you've dumped 1 1/4 cups of salt on top of the food; the end result of cooking the fish in such highly-seasoned water is that it comes out intensely flavorful and delicious.

If anyone ever invites you to a fish boil, say yes! They're fun and awesome.

I guess it should be called 'koshering salt'.

Palimpsest: Shrimp must be French for lobster.

:lol:

Did a language ever feature in the Maxwell SOTDRT? I think the Duggars have occasionally dropped Spanish into theirs- presumably so that they can go to El Salvador and tell people to "back-o out of the way-o" but not sure about the Maxwells.

In case anyone's interested, I googled the French for lobster- it's "l'homard". Shrimp is "la crevette".

I wonder if at some level Stevehovah believes that any major physical disability or life-changing illness -- especially one that results in physical disfigurement -- is the judgement of God upon that person or that person's family for what Stevehovah considers sins. Seems like the judgy sort of fuckery he'd be into. :naughty:

Did a language ever feature in the Maxwell SOTDRT? I think the Duggars have occasionally dropped Spanish into theirs- presumably so that they can go to El Salvador and tell people to "back-o out of the way-o" but not sure about the Maxwells.

In case anyone's interested, I googled the French for lobster- it's "l'homard". Shrimp is "la crevette".

I knew that but I bet Sarah doesn't. You did know that was a parody? ;)

I conflated two entries because a few days later Sarah wrote this gem entitled "Bonjour Mademoiselle."

blog.titus2.com/2008/10/08/bonjour-mademoiselle/:

It’s not been uncommon to hear these sorts of phrases the last few days we’ve spent here in Quebec. We are now headed back to the States today. We’ve had quite the experience in Quebec, and we’ve been blessed by it. We’ve almost become used to seeing signs in French and trying to figure out what they mean. We’ll write more later, but we’re looking forward to being back in our home country :-) .

The photo illustrating this entry is of a road sign showing a deer and a car with the words "Danger Risque de Collision." Really hard to figure out, and Poor Sarah was 25 when she wrote this.

I don't think I remember any references to anyone learning Spanish in Maxhell. Until John went to Mystery Country, I think the Canadian trip was the only time a childult has left the USA. I could be wrong.

I wonder if at some level Stevehovah believes that any major physical disability or life-changing illness -- especially one that results in physical disfigurement -- is the judgement of God upon that person or that person's family for what Stevehovah considers sins. Seems like the judgy sort of fuckery he'd be into. :naughty:

He does.

He wrote a Corner once about how he was exercising in the basement and how he couldn't get up from the exercise bench or move for a few minutes.

He was convinced it was the Lord trying to get his attention.

He had a similar story in one of his books about Christopher. Christopher is apparently a very talented artist, musician, etc., and was not very humble about it when he was a young adult. One day he had trouble moving his fingers and couldn't do anything artistic for like a week or something. Steve was convinced, you got it, the Lord was trying to get Christopher's attention.

I'm hoping both men saw doctors after these episodes, but he doesn't mention that.

And, of course, don't forget the Corner where he mentions how he counted up all the obese people sitting in his doctor's waiting room. Wonder what the Lord has in store for them??!!

I knew that but I bet Sarah doesn't. You did know that was a parody? ;)

I conflated two entries because a few days later Sarah wrote this gem entitled "Bonjour Mademoiselle."

blog.titus2.com/2008/10/08/bonjour-mademoiselle/:

The photo illustrating this entry is of a road sign showing a deer and a car with the words "Danger Risque de Collision." Really hard to figure out, and Poor Sarah was 25 when she wrote this.

I don't think I remember any references to anyone learning Spanish in Maxhell. Until John went to Mystery Country, I think the Canadian trip was the only time a childult has left the USA. I could be wrong.

I knew all right! I was just playing along :D

He does.

He wrote a Corner once about how he was exercising in the basement and how he couldn't get up from the exercise bench or move for a few minutes.

He had a similar story in one of his books about Christopher. Christopher is apparently a very talented artist, musician, etc., and was not very humble about it when he was a young adult. One day he had trouble moving his fingers and couldn't do anything artistic for like a week or something. Steve was convinced, you got it, the Lord was trying to get Christopher's attention.

I'm hoping both men saw doctors after these episodes, but he doesn't mention that.

And, of course, don't forget the Corner where he mentions how he counted up all the obese people sitting in his doctor's waiting room. Wonder what the Lord has in store for them??!!

I need to read these books! Do you recall the titles, please? :)

He does.

I hope Stevie saw a doctor as well - a mental health doctor!

I need to read these books! Do you recall the titles, please? :)

I believe the Christopher story was in the Keeping Our Children's Hearts book, but I can't swear to it.

Archived