IGNORED

Teri Maxwell's latest Mom's Corner-Depression and Scheduling

SPHASH

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh jeez. A whole blog post on unpacking? SNORE

It's cute that Abby did a welcome home sign, but you can barely see it in the photo. You can see Bethany's one much better.

They had dinner at Joseph and Elissa's. Elissa made Mary a purse for her birthday. What Mary would actually use it for I don't know, seeing as they don't have friends to go to town with at the weekends/any day.

The stigma against anti-depressants is very real and not just a fundie thing. People often consider them a sign of failure or weakness. A way of escaping your problems rather than managing a real illness. There are many, many people who think that you can and should just "handle" depression without drugs. People who consider depression a real illness, but who don't consider anti-depressants to be a "good" method of managing.

Are there other methods besides medication you can use to manage depression? Yes. And most management plans will incorporate them. However, there are also non-medicinal ways to manage high blood pressure, cholesterol, and many other conditions, but we don't give people flack for taking medications for managing those.

Given the amount of times I've seen "Big ™ doesn't want cures, it wants customers"(meaning the want to "keep you sick" so they can make money from drug sales)on my Facebook feed, definitely not just a fundy thing.

And those If-Then charts? Thank DOYC that I never saw those as a kid.

ETA: Sorry, I don't know how the "tm" tag works.

How do they not understand that most heathens with family nearby will come and lend a hand or cook up a meal for other family that comes back after a trip or has a big change to the routine?

No Bible time necessary, just reciprocity. :wtf:

Ugh. She makes me sick. So now not only does she get to pretend to herself that her children were not affected by her depression, she can also pretend that the magic sky God just wiped their memories! This just affirms to her that she and Steve handled it exactly right because God helped.

Who honestly knows what memories those children have? What terrible things they have seen? Imagine growing up with that cold-hearted bastard of a father and a mother that always seemed to disappear (when she was not crying.) And by the way what about the all those first days of school that ended so badly with Teri in tears because the schedule was not met? Do the children not remember that? Or is she kidding herself that those days had nothing to do with her depression?

Wait, what?

I remember when I implemented her schedule, the advice I got was, "Try not to do it all in one day. Start slowly, maybe just the morning at first, or the first few blocks, and work your way up." Didn't I get that from the book? Or was there perhaps a voice of reason that I'm not remembering.

I remember that I used the schedule as a guide rather than a master. It was wonderful while it lasted, because I could get more done in three hours than I would normally get done in a whole day. When we got sidetracked (when did we not get sidetracked?) I could just look at where we were supposed to be on the schedule and jump in again. Did I think that up, or was that advice from the MOTH book?

My 2yo at the time absolutely adored readaloud time, and I have to admit on a typically scattered day, sometimes I never did get to readaloud time. But she quickly learned that block on the schedule -- I think the first "readaloud block" was 10am -- and no matter where I was or what I was doing, she'd call me to account. She'd stand under the schedule, pointing up at the readaloud block. How a 2yo managed to learn to read an analog clock enough to know for sure when it was 10:00 is beyond me. But she did.

But such anal-retentive scheduling was doomed to failure in our ADD home. I eventually found another system where we scheduled our day in large blocks (Marilyn Howshall's "Lifestyle of Learning" routine), which worked better for this, and in the end we combined that with a kind of checklist idea, where we checked things off as they got accomplished (this was when the kids started working more independently) and the checklists kind of kept us on track. If you got partway down the checklist and the day ended, you just started where you left off the previous day. Much less stress that way.

I'm not sure, distractable and disorganized as I am (undiagnosed ADD, but I'm pretty sure about that), if homeschooling was the best idea. Our kids are doing well, though, and they learned how to learn. Who knows, if they'd been in school, if some of them would have been put on ritalin to help them focus or calm them down, instead of being able to move as much as they needed, and hum or do jumping jacks while doing math problems, and listen to readaloud historical fiction, biographies, and literature while hanging upside down on the couch... They learned how to learn, and how to love learning, and so I guess it turned out okay. It's amazing what maturity and sensory integration will accomplish. Nowadays they can all sit almost still and work on a laptop or read a book. I think if they end up in an office environment (which may or may not happen; it's early days yet and retail jobs have plenty of movement and variety for them to thrive on), they may prefer a standing desk or one of those giant ball chairs, though.

I had insomnia last night and read all the mom's corners. In addition to the greatest hits of Pepsi is an idol and I pray to God to give me three Christmas decorations, it's mostly just repeats of scheduling, chores, children arguing, and contentment. And when read all together make Teri sound so, so unhappy

I bought her Moms Corner books when they were here for a seminar. (Yeah, I was pretty far gone on the koolaid for awhile.)

Never read them. Felt bad about it when I ran across them on occasion while cleaning out bookshelves.

Now I'm glad. Thanks for making the sacrifice and sharing your impressions. Insomnia's a bitch, isn't it? I tend to read fanfiction when I can't sleep, or some kind of scifi or fantasy. At least it's interesting and distracts me from my thoughts.

Wait, what?

I remember when I implemented her schedule, the advice I got was, "Try not to do it all in one day. Start slowly, maybe just the morning at first, or the first few blocks, and work your way up." Didn't I get that from the book? Or was there perhaps a voice of reason that I'm not remembering.

I remember that I used the schedule as a guide rather than a master. It was wonderful while it lasted, because I could get more done in three hours than I would normally get done in a whole day. When we got sidetracked (when did we not get sidetracked?) I could just look at where we were supposed to be on the schedule and jump in again. Did I think that up, or was that advice from the MOTH book?

My 2yo at the time absolutely adored readaloud time, and I have to admit on a typically scattered day, sometimes I never did get to readaloud time. But she quickly learned that block on the schedule -- I think the first "readaloud block" was 10am -- and no matter where I was or what I was doing, she'd call me to account. She'd stand under the schedule, pointing up at the readaloud block. How a 2yo managed to learn to read an analog clock enough to know for sure when it was 10:00 is beyond me. But she did.

But such anal-retentive scheduling was doomed to failure in our ADD home. I eventually found another system where we scheduled our day in large blocks (Marilyn Howshall's "Lifestyle of Learning" routine), which worked better for this, and in the end we combined that with a kind of checklist idea, where we checked things off as they got accomplished (this was when the kids started working more independently) and the checklists kind of kept us on track. If you got partway down the checklist and the day ended, you just started where you left off the previous day. Much less stress that way.

I'm not sure, distractable and disorganized as I am (undiagnosed ADD, but I'm pretty sure about that), if homeschooling was the best idea. Our kids are doing well, though, and they learned how to learn. Who knows, if they'd been in school, if some of them would have been put on ritalin to help them focus or calm them down, instead of being able to move as much as they needed, and hum or do jumping jacks while doing math problems, and listen to readaloud historical fiction, biographies, and literature while hanging upside down on the couch... They learned how to learn, and how to love learning, and so I guess it turned out okay. It's amazing what maturity and sensory integration will accomplish. Nowadays they can all sit almost still and work on a laptop or read a book. I think if they end up in an office environment (which may or may not happen; it's early days yet and retail jobs have plenty of movement and variety for them to thrive on), they may prefer a standing desk or one of those giant ball chairs, though.

Having just read all the corners, what she is talking about is a corner fro. A few years ago when Teri talked about doing the pre first day of school. I would search first day of school on the site, it should bring it up.

This just in for all you procrastinators: You can get a month of Schedule Breeze free (if you are a registered owner of MOTH that is)!

/blog.titus2.com/2015/09/04/overcome-your-procrastination/

Oh my word. I went to the homeschoolecards site which is empty and followed the link to Families For Jesus.

I'm sure this has been snarked on before but I'm giggling so much I need to share:

Currently, this site contains information about a variety of topics: how to know where you will spend eternity; how to learn a bluegrass instrument; how to support a native pastor/missionary; and more.

Oh, and apparently

The biggest advantage of using a music teacher is they provide accountability and motivation for your child.

Oh jeez. A whole blog post on unpacking? SNORE

It's cute that Abby did a welcome home sign, but you can barely see it in the photo. You can see Bethany's one much better.

They had dinner at Joseph and Elissa's. Elissa made Mary a purse for her birthday. What Mary would actually use it for I don't know, seeing as they don't have friends to go to town with at the weekends/any day.

To carry her bible, phone (with the schedule set up on the calendar), emergency phone charger, fem hygiene products and order sheets for all things Maxwell with her when she goes to the nursing home/church. She might even have a billfold--does she have a driver's license?

And the most recent post on Tits2 is about, wait for it...........

SCHEDULING!!

It seems like every 3rd post or so has been about scheduling. $omthing is up.

I bought her Moms Corner books when they were here for a seminar. (Yeah, I was pretty far gone on the koolaid for awhile.)

Never read them. Felt bad about it when I ran across them on occasion while cleaning out bookshelves.

Now I'm glad. Thanks for making the sacrifice and sharing your impressions. Insomnia's a bitch, isn't it? I tend to read fanfiction when I can't sleep, or some kind of scifi or fantasy. At least it's interesting and distracts me from my thoughts.

I love that you are so far out of fundiedom that you now read fan fiction instead of Maxwellian shit. :lol:

SCHEDULING!!

It seems like every 3rd post or so has been about scheduling. $omthing is up.

If you don't wake up at 5:45am, your house will be a mess and you will be wondering why. DUH

But yeah, what is with the scheduling theme? A reboot of MOTH?

If you don't wake up at 5:45am, your house will be a mess and you will be wondering why. DUH

But yeah, what is with the scheduling theme? A reboot of MOTH?

They are probably trying to sell more books... :shrug:

Yeah, I bet sales are down lately. They still need the income.

They are also probably trying to drum up interesting for the conferences this month.

SCHEDULING!!

:sleeping:

I was going to write a nice comment, but I'm putting if off . . . :D

They are probably trying to sell more books... :shrug:

I'm thinking they are going to do a re-release of MOTH. Now with illustrations by Mary Maxwell!!

Now the Mary is done with home-school, she will have an extra 4 hours or so of free time on her hands while she waits for her future headship to arrive. Can't be having any free time, idle hands are the the Devils business, don't ya know? :naughty:

I'm thinking they are going to do a re-release of MOTH. Now with illustrations by Mary Maxwell!!

Now the Mary is done with home-school, she will have an extra 4 hours or so of free time on her hands while she waits for her future headship to arrive. Can't be having any free time, idle hands are the the Devils business, don't ya know? :naughty:

Realistically though, is it going to happen? Will Stevehovah be able to relinquish control of one of his daughters?

Realistically though, is it going to happen? Will Stevehovah be able to relinquish control of one of his daughters?

Oh hell no. Steve can't give up control and I suspect the daughters are petrified from being more that walking distance from their family. So unless a headship becomes available in the Levenworth KS area, the Maxwell daughters are going no where, except across the yard to visit their brothers.

Archived