IGNORED

Apostolic Clerk Disobeys SCOTUS, Denies Gay Marriage License

FundieFarmer

Have you noticed she seems to be enjoying the spotlight a little more each day? :shifty-kitty: She could at least buy a prettier frumper :)

By the way, I live in Asia, and we are getting full coverage of this both in the newspapers and on the tv!

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you noticed she seems to be enjoying the spotlight a little more each day? :shifty-kitty: She could at least buy a prettier frumper :)

By the way, I live in Asia, and we are getting full coverage of this both in the newspapers and on the tv!

Of all the things going on that the media could be filling time with, they're covering one uber-religious hick who manages to be in a position to impose her religious standards on innocent bystanders? Granted, the irony this is happening in the 'land of the free' is worth a laugh. But for real, this is international news? :popcorn:

Yep, I just saw her in full blue frumper with white t-shirt glory on the midday news! (Admittedly, after stories on the Thai bomber and the European refugee crisis)

I've heard some crazy right wingers compare her to Rosa Parks. The difference is that Rosa Parks had a solid legal position.

This woman can't win, she has exhausted all legal options. It wasn't just Kagen who turned her down, it was the full court. Had Kagen done it on her own, her lawyers would have been able to ask for a review from a different justice. They were clearly hoping the second review would go to one of the justices who voted against gay marriage. Kagen outsmarted them by referring it to the full court.

The is nowhere else for her to appeal.

The judge can fine both her and the state. If he fines the state, there will be quick action to get marriage licenses issued in that county.

We are all free to stand up for our beliefs, but we have to be willing to accept the consequences. I don't know what she expects is going to happen here.

Forcing people to go to another county violates the law, under the "separate but equal in inherently unequal" doctrine.

It would be life saying it's okay for one lunch counter to refuse service to Afican-Americans because there's another lunch counter in the next town over.

And it gets better. Not only is she committing adultery with her 4th husband, because " wasbands" 1, 2, and 3 are still living, but she gave birth to twins 5 months after divorcing her first husband. The biological father of those children was husband number 3, but husband number 2 adopted them.

Ordinarily I don't approve of slut-shaming but I might be persuaded to make an exception for her.

I have a feeling she's holding out for the big bucks that a gofundme campaign will net her. Give it up, Kim. You have had your 15 minutes of fame.

I read somewhere that she was "saved" a few years ago, so according to her, none of the divorces or adultery count against her.

Also, I am not a degreed law professional, but as I understand it, the law does not require a person to follow a set religious doctrine or follow all the rules of a particular faith or even be consistent in their beliefs to assert a religious freedom claim. You merely need to assert that one belief. And that belief doesn't even need to be factually correct.

Hobby Lobby has a religious objection to hormonal birth control because they believe it causes an abortion by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting. There is overwhelming medical evidence that this is not true. That doesn't matter. Hobby Lobby believes is true, so they can assert it as a religious belief.

Forcing people to go to another county violates the law, under the "separate but equal in inherently unequal" doctrine.

It would be life saying it's okay for one lunch counter to refuse service to Afican-Americans because there's another lunch counter in the next town over.

It is worse than the lunch counter analogy. This is a government office, not a private business. A government office by its very nature is neutral and every citizen has a right equal treatment under the law. This a breach of the constitution and the role of government.

This woman is one serious nitwit, and am seriously wondering about the competence of her free attorneys. Think they're gonna throw her under the bus, bigtime. :popcorn2: It's going to be really interesting if she's held in contempt of court and the judge assesses whacking big fines for each denial of license, or for each day the office does not issue licenses.

Can she be held accountable for a reduced revenue stream for the county, since they're not getting ANY marriage licenses issued? Doesn't exactly seem like she's working in their best interests....

>>You must be 18 years of age to be married in Kentucky without parental consent. Applicants 16 & 17 years old must have parental consent and the license issued in the county of residence of the under aged applicant. If both applicants are under age, the application needs to be made in the bride’s county of residence.<<

chfs.ky.gov/.../marriageregs.pdf

One argument made by her supporters is that people can go to another county for a marriage license. But what if this is NOT legally possible? For instance, an underaged female resident of Rowan County has parental consent to marry. She's thoroughly STUCK, because Davis won't issue ANY marriage licenses. If the proposed marriage needs to be carried out in a timely fashion (e.g., 36 weeks into pregnancy and they want the kid registered as legitimate, or if the partner is headed overseas for a LOOOOONG time, say military service), wonder if the underage person (or their proxies) could file a civil suit for damages.

this lady is wacked. I saw a picture of her with her mother and her mom had short hair and wore pants. I am assuming this woman is a convert to fundiedom (I don't know much about apostolic fundies) because of her multiple marriages and her mom seeming more normal.

Anyway, I really hope this woman gets the book thrown at her. She wants to be a martyr but even homophobic christians are turning on her.

I hadn't heard any "Christians" were turning on her yet.

But Davis found God, she and her Liberty Counsel attorneys admit, just four years ago.

"I owe my life to Jesus Christ who loves me and gave His life for me," Davis said in a statement yesterday. "Following the death of my godly mother-in-law over four years ago, I went to church to fulfill her dying wish. There I heard a message of grace and forgiveness and surrendered my life to Jesus Christ. I am not perfect. No one is. But I am forgiven and I love my Lord and must be obedient to Him and to the Word of God."

Happily for her, I'm guessing that her former sins were washed white as snow.... the question is, would she grant a woman in her former cirmcumstance a marriage license today. I"m betting "yes" because, after all, she wasn't gay!

Davis "gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband," the article explains. "They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk's office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried."
She's now married to number 4.

.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/kim_davis_has_been_a_practicing_christian_for_only_four_years

She, and her attorneys are likely already planning their books and their speaking tours.

We've discussed Crystal Paine's attorney husband and how bad his attorney skills must be. His old boss, Phill Kline was disbarred by the state of Kansas (after being the state's Attorney General and my county's County Prosecutor) for gross violation of legal and ethical standards. He fought it in the Kansas and Federal Supreme Courts, and the State upheld the decision and the Feds declined to hear his case. He was (and likely still is) a law professor at LIberty University, and makes money on the speaking circuit-- writes on some right wing blogs, etc.

The market for "I suffered for my Christianity" is huge-- when I lived in Wichita, KS, the local christian radio station would hold fund raiser dinners to help defend people who bombed abortion clinic--so there are a lot of people willing to see this woman speak.

From Davis' Stupid Husband #Eleventy3: Pointing to gay rights protesters gathered on the courthouse lawn, he then said: 'They want us to accept their beliefs and their ways. But they won't accept our beliefs and our ways.'

No fartface. They have accepted your beliefs and your ways for time eternal. Because that's been the way of it, since time eternal. Now the world has changed, now your own county/state/country has changed and this is the way of it. YOU need to accept that this is the way it is now. Or, fuck off. Whichever works.

No fartface. They have accepted your beliefs and your ways for time eternal. Because that's been the way of it, since time eternal. Now the world has changed, now your own county/state/country has changed and this is the way of it. YOU need to accept that this is the way it is now. Or, fuck off. Whichever works.

LOL, yea that argument isn't great when your beliefs are about bossing other adults around.

My beliefs are follow the Supreme Court or go to jail. Accept it or don't. Or move to Saudi Arabia if you hate gays so much.

As an elected official, can she be obliged to take a leave of absence until the controversy is resolved? She is denying all residents of her county their rights to a marriage license. I am not a US citizen, and don't understand the niceties of the law in Kentucky, but surely she is breaking her oath of office.

The Guardian has confirmed that she is on her fourth marriage: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... hree-times

ETA: So lovely of her to take such a stance for the sanctity of marriage. :roll:

Yes, but that was BEFORE she got god, so all is forgiven. No matter what you've done in the past, Jebus makes it all better. Apparently, Jebus also makes you a self-righteous bigot as well.

Government employees do not get to pick and choose which laws they will obey. If you can't do the job you were elected to do, then resign. Period.

Yes, but that was BEFORE she got god, so all is forgiven. No matter what you've done in the past, Jebus makes it all better. Apparently, Jebus also makes you a self-righteous bigot as well.

Government employees do not get to pick and choose which laws they will obey. If you can't do the job you were elected to do, then resign. Period.

Exactly! Jebus made her better than these unwashed heathen sinners, and she's now too special to uphold the law or do her elected job.

What hidden charms does this woman have that she has enchanted four men to the point of marriage? Granted I've only seen a few pictures and the lovely video, but I'm not seeing it. :think:

As an elected official, can she be obliged to take a leave of absence until the controversy is resolved? She is denying all residents of her county their rights to a marriage license. I am not a US citizen, and don't understand the niceties of the law in Kentucky, but surely she is breaking her oath of office.

In my state (not KY), you apply for the marriage license in the county you reside in (if you live in state) or the county you will get married in if you are from out of state. And "2.The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application."

So yes, basically anyone that had a wedding planned (mine was a year to plan) in that county or a person that lived in that county would be screwed IF KY has the same rules as my state. Another difference, my state does issues marriage license by county not city.

Meh, I think one of her motivations is to simply get fired. If she gets fired, she gets to use the "i was fired for being a christian" thing.

In my state (not KY), you apply for the marriage license in the county you reside in (if you live in state) or the county you will get married in if you are from out of state. And "2.The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application."

So yes, basically anyone that had a wedding planned (mine was a year to plan) in that county or a person that lived in that county would be screwed IF KY has the same rules as my state. Another difference, my state does issues marriage license by county not city.

So if someone had planned a huge expensive wedding that because of her fuckery had to be cancelled, and there were all the cancellation charges for the venue, caterers, flowers, etc - could they sue her for financial loss?

This is not the case in Kentucky. A couple can obtain a marriage license in any county and it is good in any other county for a certain period of time.

Some counties do charge more for licenses if you don't reside in that county. I don't know if any of those surrounding Rowan employ that additional charge.

This lady is both stealing (drawing a paycheck for a job she is not performing) and lying (her job is to certify that a couple is legally eligible to marry under state law, and she is claiming they are not even if they are) and I'm pretty sure in the Bible both of those things are frowned upon...

So they could at least sue for any additional charges caused by her actions? And, please dog, emotional distress in the hundreds of thousands? I just want this woman to have to confront the damage her 'christianity' is doing - and I think money may be the only way she can be forced to do so. (If her Jebus hadn't risen from the dead, he'd be spinning in his grave now :shock: )

Archived