IGNORED

Fundies Want to Replace PP with Crisis Preg Centers

Cleopatra7

There is a coordinated plan by conservative Christians to replace Planned Parenthood clinics with Crisis Pregnancy Centers:

ncregister.com/daily-news/can-pro-life-medical-clinics-become-the-cure-for-planned-parenthood/#ixzz3k2m1Nxxg

The idea...is that a woman can go to a Guiding Star center and find the services she needs for her fertile years under one roof: well-woman care, OB/GYN and birthing services, pregnancy-support services, natural family planning education and fertility care, pharmacy needs, counseling, grief support, adoption resources and even spiritual care with a chapel. Having all the services from vetted partners in a single building owned by Guiding Star, Jacobson pointed out, eliminates gaps between a positive pregnancy test and a doctor’s appointment. It also allows women to get help with lactation or pregnancy difficulties that may make them wary of having another baby.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/ca ... z3kAYRBYZY

Not offered are abortion services, abortion referral, or contraception, so such facilities are hardly comprehensive. Carenet and Heartbeat International and ecumunical and evangelical respectively, but neither offer anything related to family planning. On the issue of contraception, Carenet says, "The pregnancy center does not recommend, provide, or refer single women for contraceptives. (Married women seeking contraceptive information should be urged to seek counsel, along with their husbands, from their pastor and/or physician.)"

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/r ... HTlZ9.dpuf (link not broken because it's Right Wing Watch and anti-fundie by definition)

I think these CPCs on steroids will be the new line of attack against PP. Conservative politicians can say that they're supporting a better alternative to PP, when these CPCs do nothing to address public health issues like teen pregnancy, the spread of STDs, or even provide medically accurate information.

Lovely. That's not going to increase unwanted pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases at all, or lead to increased demand on health care and social support services (unpaid hospital visits, medicare use, food stamp, shelters spots, etc) no...

It's amazing how the GOP doesn't see that they increase costs when they promote less comprehensive health services (and less comprehensive sex education for that matter). :angry-banghead:

I wonder if that kind of center can be fought on the grounds of a separation of church and state, since there is an on-site chapel and they want to refer people to their pastors. I'm in Canada so I don't know if your medical funding already supports religious hospitals directly, or if they can only get funding through insurance covering patient care. If there is any direct funding, I imagine it'd provide a precedent for getting around separation.

I had my abortion at a PP. Basically the way it worked for me is that they brought me back and gave me drugs to start the process, then I sat in the lobby for an hour before they brought me back again to finish everything and check me out.

You know who was in that lobby besides me? Families. Women with children. Older women past reproductive age. Heavily pregnant women there for pre-natal care. There were so many people there for care, because PP provides so many services besides abortions...especially to low income populations. The place was packed.

But in the post-abortion recovery room, I was the only one there.

Lovely. That's not going to increase unwanted pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases at all, or lead to increased demand on health care and social support services (unpaid hospital visits, medicare use, food stamp, shelters spots, etc) no...

It's amazing how the GOP doesn't see that they increase costs when they promote less comprehensive health services (and less comprehensive sex education for that matter). :angry-banghead:

I wonder if that kind of center can be fought on the grounds of a separation of church and state, since there is an on-site chapel and they want to refer people to their pastors. I'm in Canada so I don't know if your medical funding already supports religious hospitals directly, or if they can only get funding through insurance covering patient care. If there is any direct funding, I imagine it'd provide a precedent for getting around separation.

Well, I don't really see anything that involves "the state." If they're applying for government funds/grants, then it's an issue. But if they're charging on a sliding scale and accepting health insurance, they're just a private health care facility, no different from any other doctor's office or counseling center.

I don't know what happens if they accept Medicaid (gov't. funded health care for very poor people) or Medicare (gov.t funded health care for senior citizens).

^^That is my question. Who pays for this since they don't believe in taking government money? Prenatal care is expensive, and the cost of complicated preganices is astronomical. The rehab for the women addicted? The cost of treating babies born addicted? Who is picking up the tab if not the state?

Total. Epic. Fail.

I know many women who get general reproductive medical care (pap tests, diagnosis and treatment, etc...) at PP. The right wingers cannot seem to comprehend (or are just refusing to) that shutting down/ completely defunding PP will leave many women without routine medical care that has absolutely nothing to do with abortions.

Fundies should be kissing PP ass, in many states Plan Parenthood saved their precious home birthing rights, yes with rules but that choice has been saved. Also to allow them, it they had a hospital birth, to opt out on newborn genetic and hearing (which I think is a bad idea) testing, Vit K and Hep B vaccines and mandatory VD testing, all which they are totally against. Without Plan Parenthood lobbying none of these things would happen. No Crisis Preg Center would fight for those rights, but Plan Parenthood will because their goal is for the best healthcare for ALL women.

Exactly. I'm amazed (or horrified) by the people I know who want to defund PP. One is a nurse who keeps posting that PP is evil, doesn't provide comprehensive women's health care (because they refer out for mammograms and breast biopsies), and doesn't provide OB care. At the same time, abortion is wrong. If you want to reduce abortion, give all women access to doctors and BC. Not abstinence-only sex ex and preaching

I cannot believe that they feel that a facility that does not offer contraception advice to either married or unmarried has a place in 21st century women's health care. Forget abortion (less than 3% of PP's services), contraception is so important, especially for financially disadvantaged families that cannot afford more children, and for women whose health concerns preclude more pregnancies. I was a sexually active teenager in late 1960s UK, and through the Family Planning Clinic had free access to contraception and to sexual health advice, including free PAP smears if necessary. Abortion was then referred, if I remember correctly, to other clinics.

WHEN will the Right Wing realise that there will always be abortions, that the desperate will go to the backstreets, that the aftermath of that is much more,in their terms, expensive(and in my terms, destructive), than simply providing proper education and access to contraception in the first place? And when will they realise that there has never in history been a magic time of sexual restraint and all virgin marriages! :evil:

They will never understand that their morals help cause abortions and cause children to die because parents can't use birth control. You can't have have both no birth control and no abortions history has proven that.

these idiots don't realize that hormonal birth control has uses outside of preventing pregnancy. I need birth control because around my periods, I become so dysphoric I'm suicidal (I have PMDD). PP allows lower-income individuals to get access to the treatment they need for mental or physical illnesses.

also, people deserve the right to do what they please w/ their bodies, and absolutely have a right to prevent pregnancy when they have no intention of raising a child.

I wish they would stop with this annoying fuckshit.

The only people I could see using one of these beefed up CPCs would be well-to-do white conservative Christians who don't believe in birth control. Non-Christian and moderate Christian women aren't going to appreciate a purported healthcare clinic that doles out a heavy dose of moralizing with the services, in addition to the fact that it wouldn't provide contraception. If they don't take Medicare, poor women won't be able to afford these places, which is just as well, because I think the service would be inferior. Furthermore, I read that the Obria Foundation teaches abstinence-only sex education, and I think many women aren't going to bother with a facility that doesn't provide medically accurate information. These places have a very narrow view of what it means to be a woman, and the staff pushes this vision on vulnerable women, rather than allow them to make their own choices. Unlike some super rich fundies like the Green family or the Domino's Pizza guy pump a constant flow of cash into these places, there's no way they could ever hope to compete with Planned Parenthood, if only because they refuse to acknowledge the role that contraception plays in women's health.

They will never understand that their morals help cause abortions and cause children to die because parents can't use birth control. You can't have have both no birth control and no abortions history has proven that.

Agree!

Not only do they not realize that abortion is a symptom of several underlying issues in this country (lack of scientifically sound sex education, restricted access to affordable quality healthcare for groups least likely to have the resources available for an/another child, etc), they don't give two shits once it is born. To them, births are a 'blessing from the lord.' Once it's out in the world, who cares if the kid and respective family have enough for basic needs such as affordable housing, stable (and healthful) food supply, and quality education.

This makes me irrationally angry.

The wife of the pastor of the fundie-light church I attended in the early-mid 80s was the director of the nearest CPC, and in an article in our regional newspaper, she explicitly said "Abstinence is our form of contraception."

There was also a interview with a client who gushed about the services this CPC offered her. I can't remember everything, but when she mentioned parenting classes, I wanted to ask her, "Are they the kind that teach that infants are born wicked and you have start "training" them from day one a la Pearl/Ezzo?"

Well, wouldn't they just love government funding in order to interrogate women and harass women who weren't going to have one anyway into not having an abortion? By telling them complete lies about the medical/emotional consequences?

:ew: :disgust:

People in hell want ice water.

I see that being about as likely as PP getting run out of business by Crisis Pregnancy Centers. Every pastor I've ever had has been 50+ years old and hell no am I striking up a conversation about pills vs IUDs.

I saw this enough said-

Someone told me being Gay is wrong because we have to reproduce. I said let the Gay adopt all the kids that straights abandon after "reproducing". :cracking-up:

They're flat-out delusional. They dismiss any study that has results they don't like as being biased or just wrong.

I know a true believer Catholic. According to her, natural family planning is the only birth control anyone needs. And if abortion was outlawed and there was no "artificial" birth control, then no one would have sex until they were married and only then if they were willing to have a child.

The reason this has never ever been true at any time in human history is because we've never properly held people to "the standard."

They're flat-out delusional. They dismiss any study that has results they don't like as being biased or just wrong.

I know a true believer Catholic. According to her, natural family planning is the only birth control anyone needs. And if abortion was outlawed and there was no "artificial" birth control, then no one would have sex until they were married and only then if they were willing to have a child.

The reason this has never ever been true at any time in human history is because we've never properly held people to "the standard."

I mean, pretty much every generation before ours figured out that you can have sex/have babies out of wedlock. And that was when it was frowned upon!

one of the many things christians delude themselves on. higher morals is another big one that god loves you best

So, if abortion were outlawed and no one would have sex until they were married and willing to have a child, what about infertile couples who want children? What are they supposed to do?

I don't see where there would be any conflict. There are tons of clinics and hospitals linked to churches that receive government funds - both in the form of payments through Medicaid and through various grants. Many of the shelters and food banks and counseling services and treatment centers in communities are provided by churches and faith groups - and they often receive government grants the same way as any other non- profit. They just have to follow guidelines like that it's fine to have a chapel - but you can't require someone to use it as a basis for receiving services. A referral to a Pastor or Priest for counseling is probably find, as long as they are certified, and they aren't the only option. Or if , for example, the Pastor of the church offers a group session - but keeps religion out of it.

Archived