IGNORED

Wilson: Ban the Rainbow Flag Because Shooter was Gay

DomWackTroll

"You should recall that after the Charleston shootings a few months ago, after what seemed like minutes, a hue and holler went up about how we needed to take down the Confederate flag from its place on the grounds of the South Carolina capital… And now, in circumstances so close as to be almost a parody, a black man shoots a couple of white people on live television because he wanted to start a race war too. And since flags appear to be a necessary part of this kind of thing, a rainbow flag was found in Vester Flanagan’s apartment. The pretend solution to these horrific crimes is to go in big for empty gestures, and so let us call for even-handedness in our distribution of empty gestures. What flag do have to take down now that will fix everything. Flanagan was homosexual, and he had a culprit flag in his apartment…â€

dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/pretty-sure-it-is-not-you.html

twitter.com/douglaswils/status/636916627636944896

Of course, it’s catching on quickly with Neo-Confederate a-holes like Perry Coghlan:

facebook.com/pcoghlan/posts/10207395907954328?pnref=story

:angry-banghead:

OK, I know none of you need me to post this, but let's just see how many things are wrong with this.

This shooter didn't target the "opposite" group (for want of a better way to put it) -- he wasn't shooting people because they were straight. So the rainbow flag symbolizes nothing about his prejudice.

There isn't a long history of the rainbow flag being used to express bigotry against a minority, and intimidate them. In fact, the reverse is true -- the rainbow flag represents a minority group that has faced oppression.

Taking down the Robert E. Lee flag is not an empty gesture -- it is part of a larger effort to end the acceptance of racism as a norm.

Feel free to add to my list.

That's the kind of thing that seems like a really strong argument if you're just looking for ways to support your opinion, but makes no sense otherwise.

The confederate flagged is not banned, you morons. :pull-hair: It was taken off of some government buildings, that's all. That's not banning. That's removing a racist symbol from government property. Anyone who cares to is free to buy and display as many confederate flags as they like.

I'm so sick of the persecution complex where they whine and complain about things that haven't even happened. :angry-banghead:

That's the kind of thing that seems like a really strong argument if you're just looking for ways to support your opinion, but makes no sense otherwise.

Katie Botkin, the free thinking cousin of the Botkinettes, did a great take down of Doug Wilson's post on the Confederate flag, and reading this will help you make sense of why Doug Wilson doesn't make since. Apparently, she knows Doug Wilson -- she grew up fundie and was homeschooled in the same part of Idaho where Doug Wilson lives.

Here's the first paragraph:

I don’t read Doug Wilson’s blog much; I have better things to do with my time than subject myself to long-winded prose whose tagline should really be “theology that chews its own leg off.†Unsurprisingly, Wilson has spent a lot of energy recently not-exactly-explaining why the Confederate flag is fine-just-fine, the foremost reason of which is abortion. Wilson pulls out this argument quite frequently; it’s so obviously a logical fallacy (thing A isn’t bad, because thing B is also bad) that I’m going to call it distractio ad abortus: failing to address the actual issue and instead launching into a diatribe about the evils of something else, tied in tangentially with raw outrage and statements like “I think this is relevant, because it makes sense in my head, so I’m not actually changing the subject at all.†The American flag symbolizes abortion in Doug Wilson’s mind; therefore it’s Ok the have the Confederate flag flying high after the mass murder of blacks in the south. Makes perfect sense.

The rest is here: kbotkin.com/2015/06/24/doug-wilson-on-the-confederate-flag/

(link not broken, cause, hey, KATIE!)

ERA: I did a bit of sleuthing on Katie's blogs related to Doug Wilson. She's been slicing and dicing Wilson since 2012 and perhaps longer:

Doug Wilson, As He Was: kbotkin.com/2012/07/24/doug-wilson-as-he-was/

Writing Styles and Logical Fails of a One Woman Man: kbotkin.com/2012/07/20/writing-styles-and-logical-fails-of-a-one-woman-man/

Links not broken, etc.....

i just love katie botkin :D

and i saw this sentiment on a facebook page the other day was my reaction was: da fuq? let's go back to sesame street, guys...one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong...

Archived