IGNORED

Crystal Paine has a health scare and going through hard time

FundieWatcher

While scrolling through posts on how to save money on corn dogs and beans, I saw Crystal had a pretty big health scare. The post is loooooong. The cliff notes are her doctor found a mass on her cervix. They did the biopsy, looks like it is not malignant! They were able to remove it without removing her cervix.

moneysavingmom.com/page/3

I had an abnormal pap smear at 31. It was the first major health concern I'd ever had. I had a LEEP procedure, everything was OK after that. I know how nerve racking it can be.

She also mentions they have had 5 years of infertility. I knew she was anti-birth control when she married. Since they only had 3 children I had wondered if they changed their beliefs. Guess I'm so use to Jill R. and Duggars I forget not all who forgo BC use will have 10+ children.

Today she put a podcast up. I haven't had a chance to listen. Looks like she may also be having some other trials.

I was a reader of her blog before she married- when it was all about courtship, music with beats being wrong, and how great Debi Pearl is. Glad she is OK!

I was also surprised to hear about her infertility (I assumed she intentionally had three kids), and her concern about a hysterectomy completely ruling out further biological children. Crystal confuses me, though. The more she's opened up in the past few years about her family and relationship the more I don't understand. Why did Jesse's law career go so badly? Why did they (really) move to Tennessee?

They are one fundie family who, if they adopted, I wouldn't worry about the child. She is more in to the Pearl's for their teachings on submission rather than beating kids with plumbing line. I think she is a loving mother and she and Jesse work together on the homeschooling.

I was just thinking about her the other day. Thanks for passing along the update. I'm glad things are okay for her. Add me to the list of those who thought she was purposefully limiting her family size.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to post this on an older thread, but I noticed her word of the year or resolution (there is actually a fundie reason why she doesn't do resolutions but I can't remember now, it's probably called something like "purposed intentions" lol) is rest. I wonder if she's pregnant or maybe still not feeling great. Although, it seems to me she is always vowing to "enter into a season of scaling back" or whatever.  You'd think she might decide to give up the homeschooling if she's so tired all the time.

As far as Jesse, she's never been particularly forthcoming about why they moved. Oh, she's talked all around it but never anything definite. It was not her idea. He had some kind of melt-down after they got out to Tennessee. I thought maybe he was sick of his family or maybe her family. I think he had grand delusions about being a life coach instead of slugging it out in the trenches of a  private law practice.

I actually rather like Crystal's blog sometimes , but I find her endlessly frustrating also.

• 1 month later...

Now she's posted about how a friend confided to her that one of Crystal's children did something horrible, awful, dreadful. She doesn't name names but I suspect it's the middle child. She probably lied or wore lipstick. Crystal is extremely upset! She needs to send those kids to school. I bet the other fundie mom could not wait to tattle. You know how they all live for that type of comeuppance.

• 5 months later...

She has start to vlog lives every day on Periscope and FB. She mentioned the other day that the kids will be going to a school with a dress code four days a week.

• 2 months later...

Hello...I have been away from Free Jinger (and fundie watching) for like a year. Recently decided to reactivate my account.

Disappointed and sad to see the Maxwell sisters still in the Maxwell compound and still on a perpetual cycle of nothingness. Not surprised or really even sad to see the Botkin sisters are in the same place they were last year, and the year before, and the year before that...

I was really looking for information on moneysavingmom.com Crystal Paine. Went to her site and 'about me' section. Quite the career woman these days...

Crystal Paine and Kelly Crawford were the fundies I loathed. Both had or still have monstrous egos. Both wrote about the sin of family planning. Both wrote about the evils of females not trusting God by going to college or getting vocational training. Both wrote about how disastrous it was for wives to work outside the home. How times have changed for Mrs. Paine these days. 

She grated me the most. Having a conversation with her when we both were about 19 was a crash course in illogical arguments. She would wax and wane about 'not letting feelings'  into your decision making. Feelings are what leds to bad marriages, college, music (she didn't believe in music at all), and other evils like eating Halloween candy .

I liked to point out that the reason she makes any decision is because of God/Christianity. Why do you believe in God/Christianity? You *feel* it is right. Her life was ruled by emotions more than any secular person. Never could get her to understand. 

Anyone got anything new on Jesse and the kids? Is he still a lawyer (was he a DA maybe)? Still homeschool? Anything else of note happening? 

Im honestly not inclined to go through that giant ad, I mean blog, looking for bits and pieces. 

I check in there occasionally; you can click a link that allegedly removes most of the ads & related drivel -- NOT!

Yes, Ms. Crystal has undergone quite the metamorphosis, hasn't she? Used to read her old Biblical Womanhood blog & recall when she appeared in a UK documentary on SAH wives. Unfortunately for her, all of the preaching & exhorting she did to her blog's leghumpers about submission & godliness did NOT translate well to film. 

Mr. Jesse's is also leading a different life now. He left (or got turfed out of) his DA job, went into private law practice but has ended up helping to run his wife's business enterprises after they moved to TN a couple of years ago. He is not currently listed with the TN bar

Not sure if the kids are being homeschooled even part time; there were some photos of them at school in the last month or two.

They are living in Nashvile now. Jesse gave up the lawyer thing to be a life coach, but as far as I can tell, he mostly helps out somehow on the blog, along with like 8 staff people. She's got the kids in a private, Christian, co-op type school. That was huge to me that she backed down from homeschooling. Her blog is one huge amazon link. She's always taking time off to re-assess her life, etc. but I can't really tell a difference on the blog.  She did temporarily give up her $15.00 weekly grocery budget.  She let two of her sisters take over that part of the blog, because Jesse had enough of the crappy meals and wanted to eat more protein. (They've both been working out a lot). However, she must have felt like she was losing her touch because she has been back at it.

I can't really tell what they do. She and Jesse go on a lot of trips. Grandma takes care of the kids. Sometimes the kids go. She's got the kids in lessons. One takes ice skating, the boy plays baseball, and one swims. I think that's great. They seem to have made a lot of friends in Nashville. I think the move was really good for them. She's not the same person she was ten years ago or whenever I started following biblical womanhood. I read her blog all the time, and sometimes she has great stuff on it but sometimes not. Oh, I think they were going to do a big launch of some products but that never happened. I find her endlessly fascinating so we can discuss her blog anytime.

Now that I've matured as well, I think I can see things for what they are really were. She had to believe what she believed. There was no girl going to college in that family. There was no going on a date in that family.  Hell there was no girl with a part-time job at Walgreens in that family. What could she write about? 

At the time I found her blog I was living in a city ran boarding house for teens/young adults trying to get on their feet. It was a Mircohotel that was converted into apartments. I worked as a waitress at Cracker Barrel. I did did what is now politely called transactional dating.... (never told her that)  Then I run across this chick my age whose definition of evil is music with a beat or lyrics and Christmas decorations. The absurdity of it! But, at the time, it didn't occur to me how much influence and control a family could have over adult children. 

But what she did do it cause me question my own spirituality in a good way. I was actually like her- I never thought about what I believed and why. I had this vague idea there was a God. But after interacting with her, I actual thought about it all. Is there a God? How do people know? If there is a God, which religion is correct? How do religious people know what they believe? It was like blinders were lifted for me. I actually formed opinions in that area for the first time. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2016 at 2:08 PM, starfish said:

They are living in Nashvile now. Jesse gave up the lawyer thing to be a life coach, but as far as I can tell, he mostly helps out somehow on the blog, along with like 8 staff people. She's got the kids in a private, Christian, co-op type school. That was huge to me that she backed down from homeschooling. Her blog is one huge amazon link. She's always taking time off to re-assess her life, etc. but I can't really tell a difference on the blog.  She did temporarily give up her $15.00 weekly grocery budget.  She let two of her sisters take over that part of the blog, because Jesse had enough of the crappy meals and wanted to eat more protein. (They've both been working out a lot). However, she must have felt like she was losing her touch because she has been back at it.

I can't really tell what they do. She and Jesse go on a lot of trips. Grandma takes care of the kids. Sometimes the kids go. She's got the kids in lessons. One takes ice skating, the boy plays baseball, and one swims. I think that's great. They seem to have made a lot of friends in Nashville. I think the move was really good for them. She's not the same person she was ten years ago or whenever I started following biblical womanhood. I read her blog all the time, and sometimes she has great stuff on it but sometimes not. Oh, I think they were going to do a big launch of some products but that never happened. I find her endlessly fascinating so we can discuss her blog anytime.

I so wish I could have read her Biblical Womanhood blog! Alas, it's long gone now. I definitely think she has changed a lot from what I've read on here about that site and how she used to be. I would like to think that she truly has changed. I actually met her once after a talk she gave and she was very kind and down-to-earth for a "famous" person. 

Archived