IGNORED

The European Refugee Crisis - MERGED

samurai_sarah

Aha! 6 months was in my head for a reason. I've found the source of my initial fact on the housing data: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/fi ... glance.pdf

In this program, agencies agree to “maintain†the case and assure housing,

transportation, case management and food (including food stamps) through a minimum of 120 days.

These services may be provided either through family sponsors or the agency and may be continued through 180 days. Employment services are key, as the goal is to assist clients become economically self-sufficient

within 120-180 days

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IOM LOANS the money for relocation? or is this at the behest of the US government, and IOM just facilitates the loan?

Either way.

OhMyGAJHSFKJGHASF. THEY ARE THE PITS, I tell you.

the organisation doesn't work under mandate, only in accordance with their member interests/instructions.

Dreadful, terrible, no good, very bad organisation.

(shakespunyfist)

Yep, they must render their costs back to Uncle Sam who saved them. :cray-cray: :angry-banghead: It was a shock to all of us in class how poorly we treat those we give safe haven to. The US attitude is pretty much, "refugees need to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps." The videos show how difficult it is for the new arrivals thrown into our culture with minimal support. The culture shock alone for the Sudanese Lost Boys had me in tears. I will see if I can find it on yt for y'all.

Bhutanese Refugees

Kurdish Refugees

edited to add vids

Good Lord! What a mess! Thank you for all of the information. Wouldn't it be more expensive, though, to return refugees that are already living in Sweden and Germany, etc.? That seems dumb. Also, since the US helped to create this mess, I believe that we should welcome more than just 1,700 refugees, into our own country. As for Australia's response, I don't even know what to say. It's disgusting.

At first i didn't know if i wanted to laugh or just cry about that number. I live in a small town with about 87.000 residents and we are taking in 1,500 here alone.

To me, they are more then welcome!

I live in Munich and I´m very proud about it today.

And concerning the Hungarians: Yes, they were overwhelmed. But it´s still a no-go to let 10,000 (or even more) people sleep outside, without blankets, without help and with radicals throwing stones at them. And if you let all these poor people move to another countries, take them with the bus. The hungarian government decided to drop all these exhausted people 10 km before the austrian border (although Austria had busses and trains waiting for the refugees!) and they all had to walk.

This is inhumanity as it´s best and it´s a shame, really.

Have just been watching the news here in Asia - congratulations,Germany, for humanitarian decisions, and congratulations, to most Germans for how you are reacting to this crisis - especially the citizens of Munchen. Sometimes I am so ashamed to be British.......

Agreed!

The movement toward not being ashamed is slowly beginning to emerge. That tragic wee boy should not have to have been the catalyst.

UK is pledging billions and makes noises about correcting the issue at source with ISIS. Blah blah.

Politically the problem is the perception of large parts of the electorate.

For me the issue is immigrants versus refugees and the inability to differentiate by huge parts of the population.

The UK of course is an attractive prospect for some who wish to rip the arse out of a system and historically many have done so. The benefits system will provide you with accommodation, it will provide income support if you can't find work, it will give you money if you are too ill to work. Free healthcare, free schooling, even provide your child with uniform, free meals, your elderly will be taken care of. Legal aid (free access to legal assistance.) There are scores more benefits the list is exhausting.

Have some migrants entered the UK for this purpose in the past. Yes. Here though is the kicker for me. The loudest voices about benefits system won't cope, UK residents will suffer blah blah in my experience are that part of the population who use and abuse these systems themselves. Popular opinion fuck no, I'd be harangued for this but I am beyond caring. The biggest drain on the British economy and tax payer in that area are generations of Brits themselves. They sit in their government provided housing, living of benefits and finding new ways to do so. Is it a huge part of the population? Big enough. I would hazard that this group would out punch by a country mile the Syrian refugees we could offer a new home to. A displaced group of people who would probably require help for a short time then wish to as we all do better themselves and their lives and those of their children. These people did not leave Syria looking for a 'free ride' they left because they were in fear of their lives and those of their children.

The politicos need to stop trying to appease this minority and the ever creeping in UKIP mentality loved by the ignorant.

Just my controversial rant of the day.

Agreed!

The movement toward not being ashamed is slowly beginning to emerge. That tragic wee boy should not have to have been the catalyst.

UK is pledging billions and makes noises about correcting the issue at source with ISIS. Blah blah.

Politically the problem is the perception of large parts of the electorate.

For me the issue is immigrants versus refugees and the inability to differentiate by huge parts of the population.

The UK of course is an attractive prospect for some who wish to rip the arse out of a system and historically many have done so. The benefits system will provide you with accommodation, it will provide income support if you can't find work, it will give you money if you are too ill to work. Free healthcare, free schooling, even provide your child with uniform, free meals, your elderly will be taken care of. Legal aid (free access to legal assistance.) There are scores more benefits the list is exhausting.

Have some migrants entered the UK for this purpose in the past. Yes. Here though is the kicker for me. The loudest voices about benefits system won't cope, UK residents will suffer blah blah in my experience are that part of the population who use and abuse these systems themselves. Popular opinion fuck no, I'd be harangued for this but I am beyond caring. The biggest drain on the British economy and tax payer in that area are generations of Brits themselves. They sit in their government provided housing, living of benefits and finding new ways to do so. Is it a huge part of the population? Big enough. I would hazard that this group would out punch by a country mile the Syrian refugees we could offer a new home to. A displaced group of people who would probably require help for a short time then wish to as we all do better themselves and their lives and those of their children. These people did not leave Syria looking for a 'free ride' they left because they were in fear of their lives and those of their children.

The politicos need to stop trying to appease this minority and the ever creeping in UKIP mentality loved by the ignorant.

Just my controversial rant of the day.

I couldn't agree more! We've all known people who have very deliberately managed to avoid any form of regular employment, and gamed the system for years.They are somehow never the ones who see their benefits slashed in Government cutbacks.

Historically, refugees have very quickly become contributors to our country - from the Huguenots in the 16th century who created an English silk industry to the Ugandan Asians in the 1970s who have become an exceptionally economically successful group.

But, much though I am loath to say it, Cameron has a difficult situation,in that if he raises the number of refugees that the UK will accept (did he really say 20,000 over 5 years, or was that misreported?) UKIP will be all over him, ably supported by certain elements of the press. And if Farage were to get into power, well....just forget any kind of humanitarian reaching out. I think there is a similar situation in place in the US, which is also not deafening us with offers to take large numbers, and the whole question plays into illegal immigration tropes.

I am sure that there are many British who feel as you and I do, but their opinions are not popular, and outside of The Guardian, largely unheard.I am so depressed by the UK response.

Now that I think about it, I should have merged this with The European Migration Crisis. I was just so appalled by the tone of the article, that didn't think it through.

The man behind this site is Alex Jones, who is a renowned conspiracy theorist (US Govt behind 9/11, the Sandy Hook shootings, Oklahoma bombing) and also believes all world religions are trying to create a New World Order..not sure I would believe anything he reports without a ton of outside corroboration. :think:

The man behind this site is Alex Jones, who is a renowned conspiracy theorist (US Govt behind 9/11, the Sandy Hook shootings, Oklahoma bombing) and also believes all world religions are trying to create a New World Order..not sure I would believe anything he reports without a ton of outside corroboration. :think:

I figured it must have been written by a right wing crazy, but I didn't know he was that crazy. Thank you! I would still love to hear from someone, who lives in Germany or Sweden. I can't believe that schools are telling their students not to wear short skirts, because they might be attacked. That seems crazy, in this day and age, and I just can't believe that a progressive country like Germany would perpetuate the myth that women get raped, because of what they wear.

I never heard of "infowars" (and it doesn´t seem utterly trustworthy imho) , however this "that schools are telling their students not to wear short skirts, because they might be attacked is true to some extend:

http://www.vice.com/de/read/schon-der-z ... lingen-362

Two school headmasters wrote letters to the parents to not let their girls wear shorts, short skirts and revealing blouses "to not provoke misunderstandings", with male asylum seekers housed near the school....

There is a swedish FJer btw, @Clementine, I think?

To my knowledge, the high number of rapes has mostly to do with

1. the way Sweden counts rapes (which means, if someone was raped multiple times by the same person, in Sweden, it gets counted as multiple times, in other countries just as one rape)

2. the willingness of the victims to report the rape

3. the legal definition of rape. This is very important. Some countries, like Germany, have a very narrow definition, where cases, which would normally be considered as rape, don't fall under the definition. Other countries, like Sweden, have a much broader one, so of course, more cases get counted as rape.

Having said all that, the article is right in some parts, it is an inconvenient fact that certain groups of immigrants are overrepresented in most crime statistics. Many politicians chose to ignore that because political correctness is more important to them than making sure that immigrants respect the values (like womens rights) and laws of their new country. This coward policy only helps far right parties, and fuels racism in the long run.

Most of the reports about Sweden being the "rape capitol of the world" that I found, are in right-wing conspiracy blogs and newssites. I will *not* link to those. The only (German) mainstream newspaper that reported it is "Die Welt" and the article is from 2009. They write that a study by Swedish law professor Christian Diesen showed that Sweden was the European country with most reported rapes per 100000 inhabitants. Apart from the explanations that Sundaymorning gave above they also suggested that alcohol consume could be one of the reasons. According to the study 56 percent of the rape victims age 15 to 21 were drunk when the rape happened.

http://www.welt.de/politik/article36439 ... hsten.html

I have not yet researched the rape statistics but I have checked for reports about the directive not to wear short skirts. There was exactly *one* school (in Pocking, near Passau, at the border between Germany and Austria) that sent such a letter to the parents and the context was that parts of the school building were about to be used for refugees from Syria. The letter was criticised in the media because it is both sexist and racist.

4 articles in German news-papers:

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article1 ... ehren.html

https://jungefreiheit.de/politik/deutsc ... iniroecke/

http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inh ... a6e02.html

http://www.blu-news.org/2015/06/25/kein ... asylanten/

In another school in Germany students and parents were also advised that girls should not wear very short skirts or transparent blouses in school, but there was no context to migrants in this second case.

What Sundaymorning said. In Australia, the South Australian rape rate appears - on paper - disproportionally higher than everywhere else.

However it's the result of an extremely intensive program with law enforcement to reduce barriers to reporting/improve the way victims are treated. Over a period of several years, reporting skyrocketed. On paper, SA looks like a dreadful place, rape-wise. In actuality, that's not what it's actually like, at all.

Most of the reports about Sweden being the "rape capitol of the world" that I found, are in right-wing conspiracy blogs and newssites. I will *not* link to those. The only (German) mainstream newspaper that reported it is "Die Welt" and the article is from 2009. They write that a study by Swedish law professor Christian Diesen showed that Sweden was the European country with most reported rapes per 100000 inhabitants. Apart from the explanations that Sundaymorning gave above they also suggested that alcohol consume could be one of the reasons. According to the study 56 percent of the rape victims age 15 to 21 were drunk when the rape happened.

http://www.welt.de/politik/article36439 ... hsten.html

Yes right wing, sexist and racist is always the answer. That's why hardly anybody has the courage to protest, it is disgusting!

THIS! It appears more and more people seems to be fed up with that, at least to speak for my surroundings.

And I actually wish @Clementine WOULD join the discussion. Her postings never irked me the wrong way (or at least I can´t remember!) and I´d appreciate some insight from a native Swede. Sweden is a quite interesting country.

The irony of so many refugees landing on Lesbos is that Lesbos is almost completely populated by the descendants of 20th century war refugees.

[bBvideo 560,340:1z7mo0bs]https://ejbron.wordpress.com/2015/09/05/video-cultureel-verrijkte-rellen-op-lesbos/[/bBvideo]

[bBvideo 560,340:1z7mo0bs]

[/bBvideo]

The same happens in Hungary and Calais and numerous other places. The MSM don't show these images.

The aunt of the child on the beach.

[bBvideo 560,340:1z7mo0bs]

[/bBvideo]

Archived