IGNORED

Bradrick-Barth Scandal-Research-Sex Offender

fairestaussie74

Ten years is too short a sentence. Were the Barths ever considered VF royalty? Did they hobnob with a certain famed, duck biologist?

• Upvote 1

Ten years is too short a sentence. Were the Barths ever considered VF royalty? Did they hobnob with a certain famed, duck biologist?

No...they were married before VF ever started...'95 or '96, if memory serves. I think VF started in '98?

Jeff Barth wrote some of the foundational books for the home church movement. I know Jonathan Lindvall touted them.

Holy fucking shitballs. I cannot freaking believe this. I had that copy of The Teaching Home back in the day...excuse me while I go shower. :ew:

When will it end with these freaks? Ugh, ugh, ugh. They have a boatload of kids, tons of little girls. I am going to vomit.

Time has not been kind to Betsy. She is several years younger than me and she looks 60 in that photo.

How old is Betsy?

I'm thinking she's early 40's...somewhere between 41 and 44ish? I'm pretty sure their oldest son is my age and I'm 46. I used to own the Bradrick's DVD series on raising kids; if memory serves it was filmed in '91 and Andy (not Betsy's husband, the oldest Bradrick is named Andy) was 22.

Jeez who ISN'T child molester or pedo these days in the fundie world? I almost de facto expect it with the head ships.

• Upvote 4

It looks like the Bradricks' "Family Discipleship Ministries" website is no longer in existence. Curiouser and curiouser.

It looks like the Bradricks' "Family Discipleship Ministries" website is no longer in existence. Curiouser and curiouser.

yes, familydiscipleshipmin.com is no more. But a quick look on the wayback machine features Betsy and Andy being applauded as leaders in their courtship, devotion to his 7 biological and 5 internationally adopted children, his guidance in his career choice by his father and so on, and all of this is in 2012....2 years after the sexual contact with a 9-year old girl and prison. :ew:

post-14229-14452000762601_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

yes, familydiscipleshipmin.com is no more. But a quick look on the wayback machine features Betsy and Andy being applauded as leaders in their courtship, devotion to his 7 biological and 5 internationally adopted children, his guidance in his career choice by his father and so on, and all of this is in 2012....2 years after the sexual contact with a 9-year old girl and prison. :ew:

Appalling. So, going by this and the other Facebook stuff, the family is either completely denying or minimizing the sexual abuse away into insignificance. So glad they can't wish away that perv's prison sentence. He must have done something heinous to get ten years, and I hope he serves every day of it since it certainly looks like the best chance those kids have to stay safe. There's no relying on this family to safeguard the victims. I feel so sorry for children surrounded by these abuse-enabling adults.

I wonder how much Doug Phillips knew about this, or if he knew at all.

Certainly he had to have known, right? It was right there in Texas and it was the family of his golden ginger child. Maybe this had something to do with his own fall from grace if he knew about it?

Thanks for the wayback screencap, fairestaussie74. I've always had a seriously hinky feeling about the entire Bradrick clan. Way too heavy on the sanctimony, methinks.

• Upvote 1

Jeez who ISN'T child molester or pedo these days in the fundie world? I almost de facto expect it with the head ships.

Maybe Jim Bob was telling the truth when he said most families he talked to had experienced the same thing as the Duggars did!

• Upvote 2

Maybe Jim Bob was telling the truth when he said most families he talked to had experienced the same thing as the Duggars did!

I really believe this, no matter where you come from most of the regular joe, conservative, main-stream Christian folks, liberal, alternative thinkers, humanitarian, progressives (or anyone in between) have any idea the damage this flavor of fundamentalism does to a brain, the heart, the soul of a person and ultimately the people in their families. If there are any leanings towards narcissism, any psychopathic tendencies in a male this flavor will groom, water, fertilize and nurture these traits. (Side-note-If there are co-dependent tendencies in any female those will also be nurtured) Many men involved in this do not have these prior traits BUT those who do and who stay with this way of thinking long enough....well sadly they always choose to molest, to cheat, to hurt, to abuse, to harm, or take advantage of those they should protect, all while railing away of their highest moral standards, maintaining complete outward "righteousness". This is what Andrew Barth and Betsy Bradrick grew up in. This is why I expose the story. This must be known. This must not stay hidden. Hopefully the next generation can escape.

• Upvote 4

To be fair, I think he is actually sitting down in this. There's what looks like a leg of a bench behind his left leg, and he's holding two small children. Still quite wide, but it might be the best way he found to balance.

Boy, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. 1st, it's an outdoor setting -- hardly the place you'd find a stool and 2nd, it looks like Peter is only holding 1 child, the other is being held by Kelly. Also, if that picture is pre-Tool-O'ween (which it must be if Barth is in the picture rather than in prison) the manly-man, super-wide stance was still very much in vogue.

• Upvote 1

It looks like he and several others are sitting on bales of hay.

Also, several of the documents say he was sentenced to 10 years probation. If he is currently incarcerated, he must have violated his probation somehow.

It looks like he and several others are sitting on bales of hay.

Also, several of the documents say he was sentenced to 10 years probation. If he is currently incarcerated, he must have violated his probation somehow.

Full sized picture located here : scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/469662_423382441014493_1686590547_o.jpg

No hay bales, those are rocks they are sitting on. Grandma appears to be on a box. And Petey? Nothing under or around Petey... he's definitely doing the wide stance thing (made all the worse with that awful sh*t eatin' grin).

This really just kind of makes me sad. I was really into the Barths in the 90's before Blogs were a "thing" and I had to wait for a homeschool magazine each month to see what curriculum was out and read about other homeschoolers. I guess they kind of fascinated me, being from Vermont and they seemed so wholesome-like there was someplace still in the world where there was a little spot of Little House on the Prairie. I used to fantasize about our family being that way, simple, loving each other, gathered around the table playing games and reading books together.

Of course by my posting here you can see that I left that dream long ago. But the Barths were out of the public eye so in my mind I could still see them playing with golden retrievers and making maple syrup and such. :(

• Upvote 3

Barth 's parents book. (Andrew is on the cover)

Holy bookworms, Batman!

That's one of the parenting books I bought and stuck on a shelf and never read. It gave me the illusion of having all the resources I needed.

Kind of like my habit of taking all my books home with me on college vacations. I never actually took them out of my backpack, but I sure felt virtuous hauling them on the Greyhound...

I recycled/trashed so many resources when we left fundieland, things I'd bought but never got around to reading or listening to or watching. Now, with some perspective, instead of feeling guilty at the waste, I feel relieved at not having had those messages put before me as I was trying to figure out parenting.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Catching up on this awhile later.  If Andy Barth is paroled and wifey is following the Pearl's guidelines for wifely obligations to child molesters and not divorcing him, he won't be able to live at home if there are still minor children in residence, right?  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Howl said:

Catching up on this awhile later.  If Andy Barth is paroled and wifey is following the Pearl's guidelines for wifely obligations to child molesters and not divorcing him, he won't be able to live at home if there are still minor children in residence, right?  

It depends on the terms of his sentence.  Generally children are exempt from those types of restrictions but its case specific.  We'd have to see his sentence sheet.

• Upvote 1

@HowlThanks for reactivating this thread.  I've been at FJ just long enough that I am starting to connect some of these family dots.  It may be coincidence, but it looks like the original sentence would enable the victim to attain adulthood before Barth is allowed to return home.   Whatever adulthood might mean in a particular fundy household, or if Barth is allowed home.  So many ifs!

My question is, in addition to your excellent one, how is the family financially supported while he is incarcerated.  Are they still generating income from blogs and publications?

Horrible situation.

• 9 months later...

I was updating some of the lists and realized that Andy Barth is now eligible for parole, so I went to look him up. On May 30, 2017 he was approved for transfer to a Sex Offender Education Program. He will be released on parole after completion "not earlier than four months from 01/2018." I hope they have a strong enough protection plan in place for the minor children still in the home.

https://offender.tdcj.texas.gov/OffenderSearch/reviewDetail.action?sid=08634151&tdcj=01785703&fullName=BARTH%2CANDREW+BYRON

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1