IGNORED

Sheila on finally saying that woman shouldn't be passive

2xx1xy1JD

Sheila Gregoire (To Love, Honor and Vacuum blog) has a new book out, and today on her blog she's talking about how she's gradually started to speak her mind more about the parts of traditional Christian marriage advice that bother her. She mentions some of the push-back that she's received - no names are mentioned, but Lori, Ken and cabinetman have openly criticized her. The good news is that she didn't give in to her fear of being blacklisted by them, and she gained more readers in the process.

Her scandalous and revolutionary idea is basically that women shouldn't just put up with stuff while suffering silently and praying to God, but that they should take some active steps to improve things. You know, stuff that I would just call common sense.

Wonder if this will spur The Godly Mentor into writing that book Ken's been "encouraging" her to write. What, with the millions, thousands, dozen or so couples she's mentored, it should fly right off the shelves.

I've never followed her blog, but I like what I've read. She honors both spouses as partners rather than headship and low-life-only-good-for-making-babies-and-homeschooling-but-too-dumb-to-decide-how-much-money-to-budget-for-groceries

Of the little of Sheila that I've read, she seems to realize that you can respect your husband as head of the family and still respect yourself and expect respect from him as an important support system and partner (if not equal partner) - I don't believe you HAVE to be a submissive wife but there are certainly ways to go about it without degrading yourself as a woman and a human being. Sheila seems comfortable with herself and with tweaking her outlook on life as necessary - she seems to like herself and actually be happy. No wonder Lori and Ken are always trying to bring her down...

I hate for her that it was so scary to go against the fundy current when she, herself, is (at least) convservative if not fundy herself.

... which brings me to give her kudos for thinking for herself and saying what she believes! :clap: In that circle, that took some guts

Good for her; it's hard to get to that point in thinking about marriage when someone is raised thinking men are the headship and women have no voice. I hope she doesn't renege on these ~new~ ideas, for her sake.

Archived