IGNORED

When Buying New Makes More Sense

roddma

I don't have an issue with buying used footwear depending on its purpose. Upon planning a trip to see real snow many years ago, we bought used. At the time, new snowsuits & boots weren't sold central FL. Even if we had REI, Dick's, or Outdoor World, buying new for a week-long holiday is foolish.

In the dance world, used shoes are common for kids with growing feet who are recreation dancers. Parents aren't going to shell out dough on new gear for a child who may quit classes. Buying used is a nice way to test drive a brand/style before investing a couple hundred dollars in shoes. Competition costumes are also resold & reused. Some used costumes are worth their weight in gold because someone else has already spent hours upon hours of gluing rhinestones one-by-one.

This

Used footwear for kids makes sense when it's dress shoes (unless the kid wears them regularly). Growing up, I wore dress shoes about 5-6 times a year and often I outgrew them and needed new ones. I $3 pair from Goodwill would have done the same job as a $20 pair from Payless. And they were worn so infrequently that they wouldn't cause foot problems. (And chances are the used ones were only worn a handful of times). To this day, I wear dress shoes only if I have to and keep my 1 pair in the car. I'll change in the parking lot of the event.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if Value Village is a Canadian thing or if they have them other places? I don't recall seeing them other places. I'm not sure. Anyway. The place is RIDICULOUS. I should post pictures! They sell used, half-empty shampoo for $4!!! One time they had an opened, used, bashed-in box of Kleenexes for $2. The next day we went to Walmart and they had a pack of six Kleenex boxes for $5. :roll:

That opening paragraph had me completely :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should post pics, omg.

So as ridiculous and disgusting my local Value Village is, some things are actually a good deal. We got an excellent paper shredder that was I think $3 or so because some dummy stuck a credit card in there. My boyfriend wedged it out and it's worked very well since. We got a toaster for <$10 and the thing works pretty darned well; we've never had an issue. But the kettles were the exact same price as the new ones from Walmart.

Next time I'm in Canada I will look for Value Village. I must see this ridiculousness.

Quality over quantity for sure!

I have never owned a new car though, always second hand.

If you buy ex-demo cars you can save a bucket load because the depreciation is already taken off, so you save in that regard.

However with the Duggars, anything NEW they have (i.e. most things in the TTH) they did not pay for.

Agreed.

Jill and Jim Bob jet off to Nepal to meet Jill's online love interest... who, iirc, was due to come back to Arkansas in about 2 months anyway. :roll: Were Jill's undies (new or used) on fire for Derick? Probably. So why wait when TLC is paying the bill?

If the Duggars could buy used food I am sure that they would do it.

Well, let's not forget Jim Bob's purchase of god-know-how-old jerky that he got super-cheap and then paid the dentist bill for a broken tooth. Thanks, Boob, for proving our point!

My new-vs-used book lists vary based on two things: where I find them and why I want them.

I am not ashamed that I have found the cheapest used copies of my thesis source materials (Duggars' books, Pearls' books) partly because I anticipate wanting to throw them into the backyard. Textbooks vary; some I try to get new (if it's something I'll use forever or a book I've wanted anyway). My personal reading list? When I find it, if it's a good deal and in good shape, I get it.

I donate clothes and unused/unopened hygiene products when I can. I actually have face wash and moisturizer to drop off because I switched brands and had stocked up.

My new-vs-used book lists vary based on two things: where I find them and why I want them.

I am not ashamed that I have found the cheapest used copies of my thesis source materials (Duggars' books, Pearls' books) partly because I anticipate wanting to throw them into the backyard. Textbooks vary; some I try to get new (if it's something I'll use forever or a book I've wanted anyway). My personal reading list? When I find it, if it's a good deal and in good shape, I get it.

I donate clothes and unused/unopened hygiene products when I can. I actually have face wash and moisturizer to drop off because I switched brands and had stocked up.

It is almost ALWAYS better to buy used books than new ones. You might run into trouble if you need a specific edition of a text book---but most books might as well be used.

Well, let's not forget Jim Bob's purchase of god-know-how-old jerky that he got super-cheap and then paid the dentist bill for a broken tooth. Thanks, Boob, for proving our point!

Oh my .. someone needs to explain this story.

Leather and suede skirts--buy used. There are always plenty of them at Goodwill. If you buy it new, you have to buy the smallest one you can squeeze into because it's going to get stretched out. After you wear it a few times, it's stretched out too far and it's too big. But if you buy it used, it's already stretched out. And it's practically new since it could only be worn a few times by the buyer.

When I lived in Virginia, Goodwill often had brand new items with the Target tags still on them. It was easy to spot them because there would be a bunch of the same thing.

I buy books used because I read a lot and I read quickly. I'd have to declare bankruptcy if I bought all my books new. I live in Austin and the library system has a permanent bookstore, you don't have to wait for an annual sale or anything. It makes me so happy to walk out with a big stack of books for $20.

I was in the Salvation Army with a friend. She is poor and gets almost all her clothes in thrift shops. She has really big feet. Size 12 is the minimum she can wear and often those are just a little too small. She usually wears men's shoes because she can't get anything--even new.

Anyway we found these size 13 women's birkenstocks and they fit her perfect. It was like a miracle. When we got to the til it turned out they were 40 bucks!!!!

I said WTF!!! and the response was that well they are a good brand and in good condition. I was still WTF and complained to the manager that it wasn't right to overcharge that much for something someone donated to help people with no money because of the brand---when all the other shoes on the shelf are 5 bucks. She saw my point but someone else decides prices.

That's a good price for Birkenstocks, they run $90--$150 new. But it does seem too pricey for a thrift store.

The trouble wit hand-me downs is not everyone is the same body size. I see that with Joy Anna. Im not poking fun at weight, but she is definitely not the same size as her older sisters. Though they claim children are blessings, act like it's a cardinal sin to spend money on clothes that fit or anything that says they are individual yet have hundreds of dollars for political campaigns.

Women have different body types/shapes regardless of weight. I've been a size 6 and I've been a size 18. I have always had trouble finding pants and skirts that fit because when they fit the hips, they're too big in the waist.

Height is a factor, there are styles that look good on taller women that make shorter women look dumpy.

Just look at any picture of 5 (or more) bridesmaids all wearing the same dress. Usually one looks great, one looks awful and the rest just look okay. It's not that the women are overweight, it's just that the dress is a good style for only one of them. I was in a wedding where there were two of us larger-breasted hourglass types and three of the smaller breasted square-ish (less defined waist) types. Every dress we looked at was a 3-2 yes/no split. And it's why I picked a fabric/color and my bridesmaids picked the dress style.

That's a good price for Birkenstocks, they run $90--$150 new. But it does seem too pricey for a thrift store.

Yes, because, after all, we are talking about used shoes.

Women have different body types/shapes regardless of weight. I've been a size 6 and I've been a size 18. I have always had trouble finding pants and skirts that fit because when they fit the hips, they're too big in the waist.

Height is a factor, there are styles that look good on taller women that make shorter women look dumpy.

Just look at any picture of 5 (or more) bridesmaids all wearing the same dress. Usually one looks great, one looks awful and the rest just look okay. It's not that the women are overweight, it's just that the dress is a good style for only one of them. I was in a wedding where there were two of us larger-breasted hourglass types and three of the smaller breasted square-ish (less defined waist) types. Every dress we looked at was a 3-2 yes/no split. And it's why I picked a fabric/color and my bridesmaids picked the dress style.

I do not understand why more people do not have their bridesmaids wear a flattering style of dress--just all in the same fabric. It seems easy enough because those places that sell the bridesmaid dresses can do it no problem--for the most part.

I also have the same problem with my waist. Anything that fits the hips is way too big around my waist. They say to get pants that fit the hips/bum and then have the waist altered to fit. Its an extra expense, though.

Archived