IGNORED

When Buying New Makes More Sense

roddma

I don't really mean to knock buying used. What I'm more knocking is "buy used and save the difference". Hahahah. You can't do that where I live. Can you anywhere? Buy QUALITY and save the difference in amortization and repairs.

Also - weren't the girls' Tahoes new? Funny he didn't get them used cars, as he used to sell used cars....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I do buy lots of stuff used or from second hand stores. I enjoy getting a bargain, and you can often get stuff that still has plenty of use in it and is in great shape, while keeping things greener by reusing.

It's just that buying used isn't always a better deal. You have to factor in the hidden costs, and the added benefits that might in some cases come with a new product. Sometimes it's worth it and sometimes it's not.

"Buy used and save the difference" makes a good sound byte, but good household economy takes a bit more thought than just their pithy statement.

I'm all over this, too. The idea of sharing foot-sweaty shoes is what keeps me from donating them when I clean out my closet every year or so. I don't have kids, but I think used shoes for kids is also a bad idea. A lot of parents I know strongly believe in having their kids' feet sized and fitted at a store specializing in children's shoes; it's so much better for their feet.

Another thing I hope the Duggars are buying new (and NOT sharing in that community closet of theirs) is underwear. I sincerely hope that each kid gets his/her own new underwear and has their name written in it with a sharpie. Used, sharing, and hand-me-down is just the grossest, nastiest thing ever.

Used shoes aren't the best idea, I've only bought one pair of used shoes from the Goodwill. They were a pair of navy blue grasshoppers that looked like they were never worn, but otherwise I've never bought another pair of secondhand shoes.

Clothes- buying used is NEVER cheaper for me. I'm a shopaholic and addicted to finding the "best deal." I don't find wal mart or even target (unless there's a good coupon on the cartwheel app) to be good bargains. I buy the majority of my kids' clothes from "expensive" stores and usually I can consign them the next year and get most, If not all, of my money back. I just stick to clearance and really good sales and use coupons. I've tried to hop at Goodwill and it just doesn't seem like that much of a bargain. I've gotten graphic tees from the Children's Place for .75 after discounts and coupons. For new shoes for 4 kids for school, I've spent less $60 and all of them were brand new and name brand. (One of those kids is a picky teenager) I just want the most for my money. But I will and DO buy used cars and pay cash. I don't "do" car payments but no judgements on those who do have them, it just isn't my thing. My husband, on the other hand, loves Goodwill and garage sales and will pay ridiculous prices for old crap. Seriously my microwave is probably from 1990 and he paid $15 for it, I wanted to kill him. It doesn't really reheat anything, 3 minutes seems to be the magic number. It takes up half the counter. And it's so heavy, it hasn't been moved since he lugged it home. He also once brought me a curling iron from a resale shop and was so proud of himself. "It was only $3!"

I don't know if Value Village is a Canadian thing or if they have them other places? I don't recall seeing them other places. I'm not sure. Anyway. The place is RIDICULOUS. I should post pictures! They sell used, half-empty shampoo for $4!!! One time they had an opened, used, bashed-in box of Kleenexes for $2. The next day we went to Walmart and they had a pack of six Kleenex boxes for $5. :roll:

So as ridiculous and disgusting my local Value Village is, some things are actually a good deal. We got an excellent paper shredder that was I think $3 or so because some dummy stuck a credit card in there. My boyfriend wedged it out and it's worked very well since. We got a toaster for <$10 and the thing works pretty darned well; we've never had an issue. But the kettles were the exact same price as the new ones from Walmart.

I remember around 2007 or so you could get cashmere sweaters from thrift stores for $9 and good-condition sweaters for $3. I feel like since then thrift shopping has become trendy, and the prices in my area reflect that. Even the actual charity thrift stores charge a surprising amount for junky appliances and stained clothes. For maybe 5-10 dollars more I could buy one new at Walmart. Why would I bother? I just don't find thrift shopping to be a very good deal for me. I do not buy clothes frequently, so when I do I just buy new, especially as I have a tough time finding clothes that fit me alright. I ALWAYS buy used books (if possible) but otherwise, I just buy new things. Not that I'm even buying things often. Sweaters and fleeces are maybe the only things I buy used. And the occasional toaster. But otherwise, at least in my area, it just kind of sucks. It's very trendy and very busy, so it's not like it's some secret.

We have them in the US too. Erika Shupe is a big fan, and I think we have one where I live too (opposite end of the country from Erika). I've never been.

The only thing I really don't mind buying used is furniture of the non-upholstered variety (I've never bought a car, though, so I don't know where I stand on that one). Everything else has to be new. In theory, I don't mind the idea of used clothes, because they can be washed before wearing, but I don't have the patience to dig through racks of stuff at the thrift store, looking for something I like that also happens to be the right size and in good condition.

My mom gets annoyed with me for throwing away old underwear and bras, because somebody somewhere might have a use for them, but I draw the line there. Used underwear belongs in the garbage.

I got all of my silverware used at a garage sale for $2. No worries or problems, just ran it through the dishwasher before I used it. Anyone who eats at a restaurant will be eating with used silverware anyways.

I got all of my silverware used at a garage sale for $2. No worries or problems, just ran it through the dishwasher before I used it. Anyone who eats at a restaurant will be eating with used silverware anyways.

I did the same thing when my boyfriend moved in with me, we just bought bundles of all matching silverware from Goodwill for $2 or so, washed everything in the dishwasher and it all worked out. We just got rid of most of our stuff since I graduated and got a job across the country. When he moves out to join me in a few months and we move into our apartment, we will probably do the same thing.

I also bought my laptop refurbished. It broke down on me in the middle of my sophomore year of college, and being a student at the time, I couldn't really afford to shell out thousands of dollars on a new one. I didn't have any problems with it and two years later, it still works great for me. Now that I have a job that pays well, I probably wouldn't risk getting a refurbished computer, even though my experience was a good one. You just never know what you're going to get, and if you get something that doesn't work, you're pretty much stuck with it.

And I have to agree on used shoes. I shop at Goodwill from time to time, mostly for accessories but also for clothes, and shoes are one thing I couldn't imagine buying, unless they were new and donated from a different store (such as when Target donates last season's items) and still had tags on.

Undergarments I would hope would go without saying, but who knows for the Duggars?

I remember around 2007 or so you could get cashmere sweaters from thrift stores for $9 and good-condition sweaters for $3. I feel like since then thrift shopping has become trendy, and the prices in my area reflect that. Even the actual charity thrift stores charge a surprising amount for junky appliances and stained clothes. For maybe 5-10 dollars more I could buy one new at Walmart. Why would I bother? I just don't find thrift shopping to be a very good deal for me. I do not buy clothes frequently, so when I do I just buy new, especially as I have a tough time finding clothes that fit me alright. I ALWAYS buy used books (if possible) but otherwise, I just buy new things. Not that I'm even buying things often. Sweaters and fleeces are maybe the only things I buy used. And the occasional toaster. But otherwise, at least in my area, it just kind of sucks. It's very trendy and very busy, so it's not like it's some secret.

I used to spend the time to go through the racks at Goodwill stores, but the prices haven't really made it worthwhile the last few years. Shirts for kids in my area got for $3 each, and they're stretched out and washed out. Given the price and condition of the apparel, new items just seem like a better bargain. My daughter is particular about her clothes (no dresses or skirts for her), so I no longer buy her clothes unless she's there to assure me she'll wear them. We can always find a lot of good deals at Target, TJ MAxx, Old Navy, online, whatever, and the prices aren't that far from our local Goodwills.

I can't fathom buying shoes from Goodwill, much less bragging about it. I'd be too concerned about orthopedic issues or fungus.

However, I do love consignment shops. That's my personal favorite shopping locale, along with online spots (zulily is fun, for example). I still know a lot of friends in major cities who like to go thrift shopping, but they're often into vintage attire and/or run etsy shops with gems they discover while thrifting. In my smaller town, it's just not worth it.

Quality over quantity for sure!

I have never owned a new car though, always second hand.

If you buy ex-demo cars you can save a bucket load because the depreciation is already taken off, so you save in that regard.

However with the Duggars, anything NEW they have (i.e. most things in the TTH) they did not pay for.

I think it just depends on what you buy. I'm all for being economical and buying used if it makes sense.

Cars, for example, lose so much value in the first three years, you get a much better deal if you buy a good used one.

However, sometimes, buying used can even be more expensive in the long run. For example, if you get screwed over when buying a used electronic device which turns out to be in a bad condition and needs lots of repairs and gives you lots of trouble.

I like to compare things before buying them.

And since I don't like going shopping anyways, I will often buy clothes and shoes which are new and a bit on the more expensive side, but I will also take good care of them and wear them for years. That way, I don't spend a lot of money on my clothes and shoes, but I still look put together and well dressed.

Certain things are great to buy used. I got some very nice All-Clad pots and pans from a yard sale, and after a bit of cleaning, they were a great addition to my first Big Girl Kitchen my senior year of college (now they're in storage waiting for me to move into a place where I plan to live for more than a few months at a time). I also used to go to a lot of formal events in college (Greek life), and would buy a lot of my nice dresses at Goodwill or consignment shops, since I could get interesting vintage dresses or designer dresses for far less than I'd pay for at a department store, and better quality than I'd find at Forever21 and the like. The dress that got me the most compliments was $5 bridesmaid's dress I found at a Goodwill. And of course, most of my textbooks were bought used, since being in an interdisciplinary major focused on history and literature, I didn't have to worry too much about them suddenly going out of date with the advent of some new discovery/development (save for the author of a few of my books winning the Nobel Prize for literature my senior year, which of course jacked up the prices on all of his works).

But there are definitely things that I will never buy used/vintage:

Bedding (except maybe decorative pillows)

Furniture that I cannot verify is bedbug-free

Utility shoes (hiking boots, athletic footwear)

Electronic devices unless I was absolutely certain that they were completely wiped and will not go out of date too quickly

Underwear (eeewwwww)

Safety equipment of any kind, since standards and technology for those things change so fast

I think with a used car, it really depends what type of used car you're talking about. There's a wide range of price points and sources to purchase from, and there's going to be a lot of difference in what you get from each.

I bought my car used, but it was a two year old low mileage car with a reconditioning guarantee from Toyota. It was purchased through a dealer that is locally very well known and trades heavily on an excellent reputation for never selling lemons. The car honestly was not cheap! However it was significantly cheaper than a brand new model would have been and I was certain I was getting a good deal. I've driven it for three years (with a lot of road time commuting for work) and *knock on wood* so far it has never been to the shop for any sort of mechanical failure. I'm confident my car stacks up against anything I could have bought new.

However, I'm also confident that there's a big element of getting what you pay for with a used car, even more than with a new one. If it's absolutely dirt cheap, odds are it's absolutely dirt cheap for a reason. If it seems too good to be true, you're probably indeed being had.

There are great values out there for used cars, but you have to be selective to get a good value on one.

I've purchased used clothes from a nearby church's rummage sale. they often have some great finds. Used clothes are not always cheaper than new. On the flip side sometimes new clothes are made with tissue paper like fabric and not worth the few dollars.

I did buy used shoes once but they looked like they had never been worn

I own vintage sewing machines which are way better than the modern ones with plastic gears.

I don't mind used cars but in my area sometimes the used cars with low miles are just as expensive as new.

I buy refurbished computers and devices. My last macbook and ipod were apple refurbs but then again they aren't like used items.

For things like major furniture or big electronics I would buy new. I bought my flat screen TV at Costco because they extend the warranty out for no extra charge.

Well buying new food is pretty important

( Sorry Had to do it)

I think for new, I wouldn't want a used laptop, who knows why it was sold or returned or what could be on it!

If the Duggars could buy used food I am sure that they would do it. In a way they do get used food because they accept donations of food. They also eat a lot of crappy over-processed food. If we stretch we could say they are making that processed crap with leftover bits of farm animals.

A used laptop can be ok. Some people simply like to have the newest, fastest model and they can afford it. If the hard disk has been reformatted it won't have anything on it.

Also for whoever upthread said they do not like to donate their kids shoes because its gross---please donate them anyway. While they are not ideal--a lot of people cannot afford brand new shoes for their kids and finding some gently used shoes at goodwill is actually a bonus. Thankfully, many of us have the luxury of brand new shoes all the time--but not everyone.

I have to hide shoes I throw away from my husband as he goes on a rant about people who don't have any shoes. Like they want my foot fungus.

:-P

See I am with him. People probably do want your shoes. Especially in countries where they are not manufacturing them. Used shoes are never as good as new, and they are bad for you, but they are often the only choice.

My husband likes to rant about how MANY shoes I have. He is a one pair of shoes type of guy and does not understand why women need to coordinate their shoes with their outfits.

My husband and I have had an argument over the last two days. He needs a new pair of everyday shoes and he is a bit cheap and very difficult to fit because he has wide Germanic feet (those are the square shaped ones) and ridiculously high arches.

So he tries on all these shoes that do not fit and grumbles the whole time about how the shoes are more expensive now than they were 30 years ago and he just cannot understand that.

So I grab this one shoe that costs 250 bucks but I am pretty sure its going to do the job for him (based on shape) so why doesn't he just try it.

First he freaks out a little about the price. He just CANT JUSTIFY paying that much on a pair of shoes. It turned out that they did not have his size so crisis averted.

then he wanders over and sees these fancy hunting boots that cost 250 bucks. OHHHH he says. Ohhhhh I love these boots. I want to get a pair of these. So I say Whaaaaaat? These are the exact same price as those shoes that you rejected due to price. Well, yes, he explains. These are hunting boots.

OK so I said to him: You feel ok with spending 250 bucks on a pair of boots that you wear for 2 weeks and a couple of weekends a year, but not on the shoes that you wear every single day??

He actually said yes.

So I said: Really. So you with all your back pain, foot pain and general old man pains you think that it is a good idea to wear the cheapest shoes you can find even if they are ill-fitting and increase your pain?

He actually said yes, but this time with less conviction.

I told him that I wanted him to buy the best shoes money can buy and that he could afford it especially as he wears the same shoes every day. I almost have him convinced. I just want him to have comfortable feet.

Thank GOD he isn't trying to buy used shoes because they are cheaper!

I don't know if Value Village is a Canadian thing or if they have them other places? I don't recall seeing them other places. I'm not sure. Anyway. The place is RIDICULOUS. I should post pictures! They sell used, half-empty shampoo for $4!!! One time they had an opened, used, bashed-in box of Kleenexes for $2. The next day we went to Walmart and they had a pack of six Kleenex boxes for $5. :roll:

So as ridiculous and disgusting my local Value Village is, some things are actually a good deal. We got an excellent paper shredder that was I think $3 or so because some dummy stuck a credit card in there. My boyfriend wedged it out and it's worked very well since. We got a toaster for <$10 and the thing works pretty darned well; we've never had an issue. But the kettles were the exact same price as the new ones from Walmart.

I was in the Salvation Army with a friend. She is poor and gets almost all her clothes in thrift shops. She has really big feet. Size 12 is the minimum she can wear and often those are just a little too small. She usually wears men's shoes because she can't get anything--even new.

Anyway we found these size 13 women's birkenstocks and they fit her perfect. It was like a miracle. When we got to the til it turned out they were 40 bucks!!!!

I said WTF!!! and the response was that well they are a good brand and in good condition. I was still WTF and complained to the manager that it wasn't right to overcharge that much for something someone donated to help people with no money because of the brand---when all the other shoes on the shelf are 5 bucks. She saw my point but someone else decides prices.

And yeah---since the Hipsters have discovered they want to "ironically wear vintage clothes" the thrift store prices have gone through the roof.

The other reason is that some people are only buying used because they have a philosophical disagreement with the disposable clothing industry that is manufacturing cheap clothes using indentured labor and underpaying employees. That is an admirable reason--but I am not sure it is helping.

I was in the Salvation Army with a friend. She is poor and gets almost all her clothes in thrift shops. She has really big feet. Size 12 is the minimum she can wear and often those are just a little too small. She usually wears men's shoes because she can't get anything--even new.

Anyway we found these size 13 women's birkenstocks and they fit her perfect. It was like a miracle. When we got to the til it turned out they were 40 bucks!!!!

I said WTF!!! and the response was that well they are a good brand and in good condition. I was still WTF and complained to the manager that it wasn't right to overcharge that much for something someone donated to help people with no money because of the brand---when all the other shoes on the shelf are 5 bucks. She saw my point but someone else decides prices.

And yeah---since the Hipsters have discovered they want to "ironically wear vintage clothes" the thrift store prices have gone through the roof.

The other reason is that some people are only buying used because they have a philosophical disagreement with the disposable clothing industry that is manufacturing cheap clothes using indentured labor and underpaying employees. That is an admirable reason--but I am not sure it is helping.

One way to avoid that is trying to buy fair trade clothes (although you really have to look into the labels, not all those who claim that they are fair trade really are), or clothes from small, local manufacturers.

The only thing I really don't mind buying used is furniture of the non-upholstered variety (I've never bought a car, though, so I don't know where I stand on that one). Everything else has to be new. In theory, I don't mind the idea of used clothes, because they can be washed before wearing, but I don't have the patience to dig through racks of stuff at the thrift store, looking for something I like that also happens to be the right size and in good condition.

My mom gets annoyed with me for throwing away old underwear and bras, because somebody somewhere might have a use for them, but I draw the line there. Used underwear belongs in the garbage.

I would never buy used underwear myself. I have too much OCD for that. I hope that it never comes to that.

Yet, I was in a St Vincent De Paul thrift shop once and they were selling nicely arranged used underwear. I was like eww but they were so popular that there was a limit on how many could be purchased per person---like limit of 3 or something.

So if they don't have holes--let your mom donate them. Apparently, they are in demand.

Just recently I read that the article of clothing most needed by poor people is underwear. Most people don't donate their old underwear and poor people just do without.

I don't have an issue with buying used footwear depending on its purpose. Upon planning a trip to see real snow many years ago, we bought used. At the time, new snowsuits & boots weren't sold central FL. Even if we had REI, Dick's, or Outdoor World, buying new for a week-long holiday is foolish.

In the dance world, used shoes are common for kids with growing feet who are recreation dancers. Parents aren't going to shell out dough on new gear for a child who may quit classes. Buying used is a nice way to test drive a brand/style before investing a couple hundred dollars in shoes. Competition costumes are also resold & reused. Some used costumes are worth their weight in gold because someone else has already spent hours upon hours of gluing rhinestones one-by-one.

Just recently I read that the article of clothing most needed by poor people is underwear. Most people don't donate their old underwear and poor people just do without.

We actually have Undy Sunday at our church in October. Everyone is asked to bring a pack of underwear to mass and its donated to local shelters. My kids used to love it cause they would buy underwear for a child like they would want. I also have donated new socks my kids can no longer fit into to a drive another church does by me.

I wouldn't donate my old underwear (just waaaayyyy too much DNA on those), but I think before I move away (again) next month, I'll buy some multi-packs of underwear from Costco to throw in with the pile of clothes I'm planning to donate.

We actually have Undy Sunday at our church in October. Everyone is asked to bring a pack of underwear to mass and its donated to local shelters. My kids used to love it cause they would buy underwear for a child like they would want. I also have donated new socks my kids can no longer fit into to a drive another church does by me.

I actually just heard about a charity, Distributing Dignity, that donates NEW bras and feminine hygiene products to women in need. It's truly sad and eye-opening to think about what it would be to not have feminine hygiene products every month.

Sorry if this sounds spammy, I am in no way affiliated with the charity, but hearing about it really opened my eyes to things I take for granted.

Archived