IGNORED

When Buying New Makes More Sense

roddma

I found T-shirts at Fred's for $3.75 The Dugggars like to boast about buying used, but you can find great bargains on new things if you look. Sometimes, used isnt always cost-effective.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There can also be the matter of a warranty, if it's a bigger ticket item. You're not necessarily going to save anything if you buy something used and it breaks down three weeks later, if you don't have warranty documentation, the warranty has expired, or the condition was not what you were led to believe, etc.

For that reason if I'm buying something fairly costly (electronics, appliances, etc.,) I'll either buy it new or get one that has been reconditioned and comes with a guarantee. It's just not worth saving a little money at the outset and risking having to replace it out of pocket a short time later if it doesn't work out.

For me, buying used is more about not being a consumer of cheap, mass marketed goods that were manufactured in who knows what conditions and are designed to self-destruct w/in a set period of time.

I do buy some things new/custom made. Bikes; swimsuits; wetsuits; most running gear including shoes. I buy almost everything else used because people are redicuouls about what isn't "good enough" to keep. Perfectly good clothes that they can't figure out how to replace the button on (even though there is a spare), books, garden stuff, home furniture excluding mattresses and fabric-ed things; handbags ( i really don't get the judgement over handbags); etc.

Its usually better to buy new for big ticket items like cars. Unless you can pay cash (not that many can) you have to finance. Financing for used stuff is usually crazy high while you can get as low as 0% financing on new if you catch it at the right time.

Its usually better to buy new for big ticket items like cars. Unless you can pay cash (not that many can) you have to finance. Financing for used stuff is usually crazy high while you can get as low as 0% financing on new if you catch it at the right time.

I've always bought my cars in cash. I buy used, because buying a new.car.Is literally the dumbest thing anyone can do, financially speaking. They depreciate the minute you drive them off the lot. Literally.

Pardon the pun but I absolutely put my foot down on used shoes. I think the Duggars and other Fundie/QUiverfull types consider buying all used things a mark of godly character.

I've always bought my cars in cash. I buy used, because buying a new.car.Is literally the dumbest thing anyone can do, financially speaking. They depreciate the minute you drive them off the lot. Literally.

Not necessarily. The extra cost on a new car is a chance the buyer takes in the hope s/he is not getting a lemon. The chances of picking up a used car that is a lemon is significantly higher than the chance that a new car is a lemon.

There is a very famous economics paper on the topic: socsci2.ucsd.edu/~aronatas/project/academic/Akerlof%20on%20Lemons.pdf

Of course, if you are buying cars worth under 5000 then you are saving money for sure. You simply drive that car into the ground and then buy a new beater. Especially if you can handle the repairs yourself.

Pardon the pun but I absolutely put my foot down on used shoes. I think the Duggars and other Fundie/QUiverfull types consider buying all used things a mark of godly character.

Used shoes actually are a bad idea because they will send you straight to the physiotherapist or a chiropractor. Chances are if you have to buy used shoes, you can't afford to pay for the resulting treatment. If you can afford the treatment---well, I guess you didn't save much on those shoes.

Used shoes actually are a bad idea because they will send you straight to the physiotherapist or a chiropractor. Chances are if you have to buy used shoes, you can't afford to pay for the resulting treatment. If you can afford the treatment---well, I guess you didn't save much on those shoes.

I'm all over this, too. The idea of sharing foot-sweaty shoes is what keeps me from donating them when I clean out my closet every year or so. I don't have kids, but I think used shoes for kids is also a bad idea. A lot of parents I know strongly believe in having their kids' feet sized and fitted at a store specializing in children's shoes; it's so much better for their feet.

Another thing I hope the Duggars are buying new (and NOT sharing in that community closet of theirs) is underwear. I sincerely hope that each kid gets his/her own new underwear and has their name written in it with a sharpie. Used, sharing, and hand-me-down is just the grossest, nastiest thing ever.

I'll second that. My Target had men's shorts and tees today for $2.50 each. I got my husbands summer wardrobe sorted and grabbed some shorts for me. All for around $70.

Big ticket items aren't negotiable for me. I got my last big TV for $450 on clearance. People are selling older, smaller models for the same price on Facebook. No brainer there.

Not necessarily. The extra cost on a new car is a chance the buyer takes in the hope s/he is not getting a lemon. The chances of picking up a used car that is a lemon is significantly higher than the chance that a new car is a lemon.

There is a very famous economics paper on the topic: socsci2.ucsd.edu/~aronatas/project/academic/Akerlof%20on%20Lemons.pdf

Of course, if you are buying cars worth under 5000 then you are saving money for sure. You simply drive that car into the ground and then buy a new beater. Especially if you can handle the repairs yourself.

I agree with this. I bought a couple of months ago and with the lower financing I paid much less for a 2015 than I would have for a 2013-14 same model.

I have a long commute and not having to deal with car trouble and repairs is huge for me. Older used cars have always cost me more money in repairs. I buy a car I love and drive it for a long time and it's absolutely more cost effective for me to buy new.

Years ago it was smarter to buy a couple years old when you could still get the dealer warrantee as good and not get the depreciation hit, but the financing slam you take with a used car wipes that out. At least for me it did.

I'm all over this, too. The idea of sharing foot-sweaty shoes is what keeps me from donating them when I clean out my closet every year or so. I don't have kids, but I think used shoes for kids is also a bad idea. A lot of parents I know strongly believe in having their kids' feet sized and fitted at a store specializing in children's shoes; it's so much better for their feet.

Another thing I hope the Duggars are buying new (and NOT sharing in that community closet of theirs) is underwear. I sincerely hope that each kid gets his/her own new underwear and has their name written in it with a sharpie. Used, sharing, and hand-me-down is just the grossest, nastiest thing ever.

This... But remember the shared closets? So, I really doubt it. But hope so.

Buying used is always better when you want to brag about how frugal you are. Yes, you can buy a $2 t-shirt at Target but the your fellow frugal friends will look down on you for not buying the same used $3 t-shirt at the Goodwill. It's all about perception.

As to cars, I spent the majority of my driving life driving random used cars until I could buy a new one. I will never go back to used. I have had the same one I bought new 9 years ago and had little problem with it. I just wouldn't want to go back to always worrying about something going wrong. I probably spent five or six times as much combined maintenance of all my used cars than on the one I have now. Plus, if you have to drive a lot like I sometimes do for work (think 300-400 miles a week) it's better to have a new car with that 100,000 warranty. It's cheaper in the end.

Buying used is always better when you want to brag about how frugal you are. Yes, you can buy a $2 t-shirt at Target but the your fellow frugal friends will look down on you for not buying the same used $3 t-shirt at the Goodwill. It's all about perception.

As to cars, I spent the majority of my driving life driving random used cars until I could buy a new one. I will never go back to used. I have had the same one I bought new 9 years ago and had little problem with it. I just wouldn't want to go back to always worrying about something going wrong. I probably spent five or six times as much combined maintenance of all my used cars than on the one I have now. Plus, if you have to drive a lot like I sometimes do for work (think 300-400 miles a week) it's better to have a new car with that 100,000 warranty. It's cheaper in the end.

So much this. I don't have the perception problem in real life since I don't have anyone to whom I talk about where I buy stuff, but while my daughter and I love thrift shopping, not everything is a bargain.

Sometimes we go in and there's nothing much, other times I can walk out with tons of great finds for a steal.

The car thing, I could have written what you did. In 2007 I bought new and I'd still be driving it if it hadn't been totaled in an accident. (Ruled 100% other drivers fault :evileye2: ) I had no problems. I spend a lot of time in my car so I want to have something I love and I'll drive it until it isn't cost effective (or someone doesn't know how to drive hits it.)

Buying used is buying someone else's problems - sometimes you get lucky but it's a crapshoot even if inspected. We've put 12k+ into the used suv my husband got last - it was a money pit.

One of my kids did just buy used - 10k or so in cash and we got him the add-on bumper to bumper and that made sense because with job, school, friends being local he doesn't need to worry about heavy miles and if it needs to go in the shop he can borrow one of ours or grab a ride so depends on the lifestyle/usage.

Definitely cheaper in the long run going new.

I always felt that the Duggars buy used thing was something they felt made them special...so smart, or something. You have to do what makes sense for you at the time.

I totally agree with the shoes thing.

Well buying new food is pretty important

( Sorry Had to do it)

I think for new, I wouldn't want a used laptop, who knows why it was sold or returned or what could be on it!

No, no, no, you guys don't understand. It's special and precious to buy used. If you shop sensibly and buy what makes sense, rather than sticking dogmatically to one way of shopping, you're just like everyone else! Rather, you have to purpose to buy used and brag endlessly about how godly it is to do so.

No, no, no, you guys don't understand. It's special and precious to buy used. If you shop sensibly and buy what makes sense, rather than sticking dogmatically to one way of shopping, you're just like everyone else! Rather, you have to purpose to buy used and brag endlessly about how godly it is to do so.

princessM, you have said this so well!! The word "precious" somehow sums it all up.

:clap:

For me I don't mind buying shoes used if they're going to be shoes I rarely wear or need for one occasion (dress shoes, costume, etc). But for everyday shoes, I draw the line.

For a pair of dress shoes I wear 5 times a year for an hour a pop, sure.

ETA for an event I wear dress shoes, I wear everyday shoes in the car driving there and change in the parking lot. So I literally only wear dress shoes for that event.

If there's one useful thing the Maxhellians have taught me, it's that buying something new and made of quality pays off in the end. Quality, quality, quality.

Never seen a Maxwell hiking in flip flops but in high quality hiking boots. They buy stuff and use it for years. They also only buy used stuff if it's an item of quality.

I have to hide shoes I throw away from my husband as he goes on a rant about people who don't have any shoes. Like they want my foot fungus.

For me, things like electronics, appliances, shoes all make sense to buy brand new.

However, I do but used items like some dishes (one patter is discontinued and very hard to find). I have bought a used car from my dad, but he babies his cars.

I personally think the Duggars like braving how cheap they are to make themselves look better. I personally think it's all crap and marketing.

I have to hide shoes I throw away from my husband as he goes on a rant about people who don't have any shoes. Like they want my foot fungus.

Shame on you for not repurposing your foot fungus! :lol:

The trouble wit hand-me downs is not everyone is the same body size. I see that with Joy Anna. Im not poking fun at weight, but she is definitely not the same size as her older sisters. Though they claim children are blessings, act like it's a cardinal sin to spend money on clothes that fit or anything that says they are individual yet have hundreds of dollars for political campaigns.

As far as laptops go, I use a refurbished one. I will only take used shoes if i know who had them.

I don't know if Value Village is a Canadian thing or if they have them other places? I don't recall seeing them other places. I'm not sure. Anyway. The place is RIDICULOUS. I should post pictures! They sell used, half-empty shampoo for $4!!! One time they had an opened, used, bashed-in box of Kleenexes for $2. The next day we went to Walmart and they had a pack of six Kleenex boxes for $5. :roll:

So as ridiculous and disgusting my local Value Village is, some things are actually a good deal. We got an excellent paper shredder that was I think $3 or so because some dummy stuck a credit card in there. My boyfriend wedged it out and it's worked very well since. We got a toaster for <$10 and the thing works pretty darned well; we've never had an issue. But the kettles were the exact same price as the new ones from Walmart.

I remember around 2007 or so you could get cashmere sweaters from thrift stores for $9 and good-condition sweaters for $3. I feel like since then thrift shopping has become trendy, and the prices in my area reflect that. Even the actual charity thrift stores charge a surprising amount for junky appliances and stained clothes. For maybe 5-10 dollars more I could buy one new at Walmart. Why would I bother? I just don't find thrift shopping to be a very good deal for me. I do not buy clothes frequently, so when I do I just buy new, especially as I have a tough time finding clothes that fit me alright. I ALWAYS buy used books (if possible) but otherwise, I just buy new things. Not that I'm even buying things often. Sweaters and fleeces are maybe the only things I buy used. And the occasional toaster. But otherwise, at least in my area, it just kind of sucks. It's very trendy and very busy, so it's not like it's some secret.

Archived