IGNORED

Benessa + J'Dillards in NYC tonight

Mel314

My mother enjoyed moving us around a lot when I was growing up. Not particularly far, but in most cases, she moved for ridiculous reasons. Mainly because she would decide she hated all the neighbors, but sometimes because the landlord would go up on the rent or something.

My mother never really believed in getting rid of anything, she had hoarding tendencies, so we wound up moving more and more of our possessions to the new places. And since we moved about once a year for awhile in my teens years, and she didn't want to spend extra money on movers, we'd literally spend weeks packing and transferring the smaller stuff in boxes to the new apartments. She would have to pull me out of school in order to make moves because there was too damn much stuff and no money or anyone else to move it.

To this day, I despise moving with a passion. I haven't had to do it in years, but if I ever had to again, I would probably get rid of half the stuff in my house and keep only the most important things.

I have helped friends move, but I have been quick to point out what I think they should toss if I'm packing up the kitchen and have just boxed a couple of hundred hand towels, or 75 plastic cups. :lol:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My boys are all grown, but I found any of the strap on carriers just gave me a backache. I totally loved strollers. Got one of the very first double strollers and used it until it broke. Just couldn't carry a child on my chest...my kids were large. I think Izzy could move into a nice umbrella stroller soon. Just sayin'

My boys are all grown, but I found any of the strap on carriers just gave me a backache. I totally loved strollers. Got one of the very first double strollers and used it until it broke. Just couldn't carry a child on my chest...my kids were large. I think Izzy could move into a nice umbrella stroller soon. Just sayin'

Did your carriers have the hip support like they do now days? I found the ones without that really hurt my back, but my Ergo (for example) was fine, since it put the weight on my hips.

Did your carriers have the hip support like they do now days? I found the ones without that really hurt my back, but my Ergo (for example) was fine, since it put the weight on my hips.

My oldest just turned 29, so quite awhile ago. I had a nice carrier, but it just bothered my back. I carried my younger siblings around on my hip endlessly and always had a back that could act up a little. Also, I just didn't like having the baby up against me if I was out, or walking.....I loved the stroller life!! Guess Jill would mark me "unsaved". For that and other reasons I'm sure.

My oldest just turned 29, so quite awhile ago. I had a nice carrier, but it just bothered my back. I carried my younger siblings around on my hip endlessly and always had a back that could act up a little. Also, I just didn't like having the baby up against me if I was out, or walking.....I loved the stroller life!! Guess Jill would mark me "unsaved". For that and other reasons I'm sure.

My oldest is 28 and she loved her Snugli carrier- lived in it for those first 6 mos of life. Along comes baby #2- He looked at me like WTF lady, put me in my crib, (from day one, mind you) and leave me alone, different as night and day. They both liked the stroller. My 3 nephews (in 3 years), hated the stroller. It was a nightmare to go anywhere with that family.

My oldest is 28 and she loved her Snugli carrier- lived in it for those first 6 mos of life. Along comes baby #2- He looked at me like WTF lady, put me in my crib, (from day one, mind you) and leave me alone, different as night and day. They both liked the stroller. My 3 nephews (in 3 years), hated the stroller. It was a nightmare to go anywhere with that family.

A lot of babies freak out if they're in a stroller that faces away from their caregiver because it puts their brain in a distress mode (I read they believe it relates to when our species was still nomadic, and being separated from your caregiver could mean you're in danger). Backward facing strollers help a lot with those babies.

I used to be painfully shy, but I always managed to find new friends within a few weeks of moving somewhere. But, I think that was largely because I wasn't given much of an option. I was forced outside as much as my parents could. Lol

As for school, I struggled a lot in school, but it had little to do with the moving and a lot to do with learning disabilities (I have dyslexia, dyscalculia, auditory processing disorder (and between the ages of 2 and 6 I was losing my hearing, they finally caught and corrected it when I was 6 and 50% deaf in both ears), OCD, and I had EFD). The most challenging thing for me when switching schools in the middle of the year was just catching up with required reading and stuff like that. In 6th grade, I had to read 3 books cover to cover before my second week of school started because there was going to be a midterm test and my teacher wasn't going to let me reschedule it. That was hell. But, I did it, and I got a B on the midterm.

I think that the kids who struggle the most with moving around a lot are the ones who move a lot because their parents are unstable, the parents don't seek out academic support for their children when needed (I was lucky that my parents ALWAYS made sure to get me a tutor if my grades started slipping below a B, that they had constant dialog with my teachers, and that they made sure that my academic needs were met to the best of their ability), those who have mental or emotional disabilities/challenges that aren't addressed properly, and whose parents don't properly take their emotions, desires, and needs into consideration in any other way. But, those kids would likely have trouble no matter how many places they've lived in.

You made a good point there. I lived in the same house up until I was 10 and my parents decided to split. My mom moved to an apartment and eventually to another apartment in another town and then my dad followed suit and sold the house and moved to the other town so we could go to school in that district. But things were unstable even still in both their new love lives and my dad ended up moving 2 more times in the following two years and my mom moved again a few years later as well. I did not handle it well. I am an introvert, not necessarily shy but I find it hard to make friends, especially in large groups. So, being the new kid in a new school at age 13, when all of them had already established groups of friends was my worst nightmare. Plus never being established in a neighborhood I didn't even know anyone close to me that I could hang out with. I went from an A/B student to C/D's. Eventually my friends from my old town moved on and stopped hanging out with me and my parents didn't always want to drive me there anyway. I became incredibly depressed and spent most nights in my room journaling the most depressing shit and crying myself to sleep. Had my parents actually paid attention to me and had they actually made sure I was adjusting I might not still be battling depression over a decade later. Stability is an incredible thing in a child's life.

My mother enjoyed moving us around a lot when I was growing up. Not particularly far, but in most cases, she moved for ridiculous reasons. Mainly because she would decide she hated all the neighbors, but sometimes because the landlord would go up on the rent or something.

My mother never really believed in getting rid of anything, she had hoarding tendencies, so we wound up moving more and more of our possessions to the new places. And since we moved about once a year for awhile in my teens years, and she didn't want to spend extra money on movers, we'd literally spend weeks packing and transferring the smaller stuff in boxes to the new apartments. She would have to pull me out of school in order to make moves because there was too damn much stuff and no money or anyone else to move it.

To this day, I despise moving with a passion. I haven't had to do it in years, but if I ever had to again, I would probably get rid of half the stuff in my house and keep only the most important things.

I have helped friends move, but I have been quick to point out what I think they should toss if I'm packing up the kitchen and have just boxed a couple of hundred hand towels, or 75 plastic cups. :lol:

I have moved four times in my life (one from one Country to another) and that really has been more than enough for me!

I am helping friends move in two months, I'm not sure why, probably because I have access to a truck, but now I think about it; I am like WHY?!

My oldest three pretty much lived in the Snugli. My first one was a denim Snugli 2 and the I bought a handmade seersucker Snugli for my second baby who was born in June. My youngest was never a Snugli baby, though. I did carry her in it at times, but she did not nap in it like my older babies did. My oldest turns 35 later this year, btw. I've still got the Snugli 2 and may have the yellow seersucker one, too. I ought to take that to the beach to use with my granddaughter.

The carriers manufactured under the Snugli name now are not like the classic Snuglis at all. The people that made the original Snugli now make something very similar called the Weego. It's made in Germany and it ain't cheap. (It's about the same price as an Ergo or Baby Bjorn, though.) I wonder if they were disappointed at the direction that Gerry and then Evenflo took their company.

The original Snugli had an adapted version for use in the NICU. Our unit had one. The Weego company makes a premie Weego and one for twins.

To be fair, the Dillards could have flown from El Salvador to NYC to shoot the special or do some publicity shoots and then flown back to El Salvador with it all paid for by TLC. Or maybe they're going to the wedding and flying back to El Salvador. It's not that far away (although there probably aren't any non-stop flights from Arkansas). I'm just saying it's possible.

To be fair, the Dillards could have flown from El Salvador to NYC to shoot the special or do some publicity shoots and then flown back to El Salvador with it all paid for by TLC. Or maybe they're going to the wedding and flying back to El Salvador. It's not that far away (although there probably aren't any non-stop flights from Arkansas). I'm just saying it's possible.

Yeah--but I don't think it is that they traveled back and forth--it is that they somehow managed to fit all that in in one weekend. Although Michelle didn't change her clothes for the wedding so maybe it was doable. :lol:

As for who paid--maybe TLC paid, but I figure they are probably doing well with the donations and not hurting for money. Everyone talks like the entire clan are about to fall into bankruptcy, but I assume they are not too worried yet.

They still have royalties for their crappy books at the very least.

o paid from donations. all the money wasted on travel and doing nothing for the poor. the poor only get faith forced on them from ignorant whities.

By Sunday, J&D were back on a plane returning to Central America with Joy-Anna and Carlin Bates.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... z3jCvBCaho

Wasn't Michael and Brendon's wedding on Sunday?

Are they coming back again for Amy's wedding on September 6?

http://www.newseveryday.com/articles/23 ... e-jill.htm

That would be a huge slap in the face if they didn't come back for Amy's wedding, IMO. Only because they made the effort to come for a friend's wedding, they should probably do the same for a cousin.

Unless - Joy (and Carlin) were sent to El Salvador to keep Joy away from Famy's wedding (since Joy always seemed to adore Famy).

Also on the pure speculation on my front - Michelle might have gone to NYC to supervise any interviews etc taking place with her adult daughters to assure the 'company line' was being held.

Unless - Joy (and Carlin) were sent to El Salvador to keep Joy away from Famy's wedding (since Joy always seemed to adore Famy).

Also on the pure speculation on my front - Michelle might have gone to NYC to supervise any interviews etc taking place with her adult daughters to assure the 'company line' was being held.

I don't imagine that Joy or Carlin would be gone for more than 2 weeks. They'll be home in time for the wedding for sure.

well based on that other news - I'm wondering if they had advance warning and got Joy out of town etc.

They said they were coming back to see family in September so I'm assuming they will be at the wedding. Will Josh and Anna?

Anna may - Josh will probably be sentenced to sit in the bunker a bit longer now.

And I suppose coming back that quickly is better than staying down there as Jill's nanny.

well based on that other news - I'm wondering if they had advance warning and got Joy out of town etc.

I doubt it. She's with Carlin. I'm fairly certain that was just a "hey we're best friends and this is the closest we can ever get to having a traditional sleep over" situation. If they had advanced warnings, I guarantee that the OkC profile would have been deleted along with the facebook profile associated with it. I also firmly believe that, if anyone was fleeing the country because of a potential scandal, it would have been Josh himself.

Now I think that they were in NYC to shoot their People cover. It's only Jill and Jessa on the cover, but there may be pics of Jim Bob and Michelle inside.

Now I think that they were in NYC to shoot their People cover. It's only Jill and Jessa on the cover, but there may be pics of Jim Bob and Michelle inside.

Except Jill's hair looks like the one from the Duggar spread with the makeover. Ditto Jessa's shirt.

Except Jill's hair looks like the one from the Duggar spread with the makeover. Ditto Jessa's shirt.

brilliant - what I have been saying all along

:cracking-up: :worship:

brilliant - what I have been saying all along

:cracking-up: :worship:

I could download the magazine on my iPad for free to see if there are any new pictures inside, but my intention is to return my copy unopened when it arrives with a note attached. So I don't want to download it when I'm not planning to really read it. You know?

My oldest is still in elementary and I was a freak show when wearing a sling, so I'll bet they didn't have anything decent when yours was young.

These days they have hip support and the knowledge to wear them high and tight is widespread (yep, I look for a chance to give tips to people wearing their babies around their waists). They are everywhere now because they're so easy and convenient and make life so much easier. Many fewer people can't wear their babies now, but there are of course still people who have bad backs. It sucks for them! A friend of mine had a bad back and a baby right around when mine were entering school. Comforting that baby without a sling was torture!

Archived