IGNORED

Razing Ruth?

ShepherdontheRock

So, I keep hearing about Razing Ruth. Which I presume is from before my time.

And I've been searching the board and I can't quite figure it out.

Would anyone help to enlighten me about who/what Razing Ruth is and why everyone hates her?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Razing Ruth claimed to be a young woman escaping from fundamentalism, but was a fake and a scammer. She posted here now and then.

Start here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17372

If you want to skip to the gradual exposure of her scam, try starting at about page 20.

If you need help coming up for air, we will send the rescue ferrets with a rope and the beverage and snack of your choice. :ferret:

We may need to bring in some new ferrets. I think we might have a couple people that went down the Rodriguez rabbit hole that haven't resurfaced yet.

I almost needed the rescue ferrets last night once I found out there was a part 2 to the RR thread. Luckily, the need to sleep did the rescuing.

If you want to skip to the gradual exposure of her scam, try starting at about page 20.

I missed this last night. There goes some minutes of my life I'll never get back. Sigh.

I almost needed the rescue ferrets last night once I found out there was a part 2 to the RR thread. Luckily, the need to sleep did the rescuing.

I missed this last night. There goes some minutes of my life I'll never get back. Sigh.

If I remember correctly, I added it in an edit, just a minute or two after posting. You're too quick!

There's a part 3 & 4, and a whole separate blog someone started exposing all of the crazy details, if I remember correctly. Good luck! :D

If I remember correctly, I added it in an edit, just a minute or two after posting. You're too quick!

Damn my ability to be on top of things!

There's a part 3 & 4, and a whole separate blog someone started exposing all of the crazy details, if I remember correctly. Good luck! :D

Oh, goody. There's at least three to four more nights of reading for me. Good thing classes haven't started back up so I don't have to feel guilty about putting off school work for RR! :lol:

The separate blog, Scammer in a Minivan, is out of commission. I emailed the site creator (who handed it off about thirty seconds before it went kaput, which made me wonder if RR had finagled her way into the new owner's heart for purposes of sabotage) who told me the blog got wiped out by one of those big viruses or trojans or whatever. The original author has everything backed up, but she said the new owner will reestablish the blog at some point.

I don't understand the enduring fascination with Ruth. She was a liar. The end. :shrug:

Bc people like drama.

Same as why burrisgate went on for as long as it did.

Yeah, I like drama. But she was my first encounter with internet malingering or whatever you want to call what she did, and I enjoyed reading and thinking about what might be going on inside her head. Same with Burris. What makes people pull stunts like that? :think:

Also, stupid things, like the fact that I lived in Bakersfield for a few years and that she passed through another city I had lived in on her grand finale road trip, got me overinvested.

I don't understand the enduring fascination with Ruth. She was a liar. The end. :shrug:

I enjoyed reading and thinking about what might be going on inside her head. Same with Burris. What makes people pull stunts like that? :think:

I'm sort of in between (for a change! :lol: ).

Drama, if it gets nasty, sometimes scares me, and I'm generally not interested in being the person to do the sleuthing.

But, like halcionne, I can't help wondering what drives someone like that. Why would anyone spend so much time and energy on trying to fool people?

Money, a feeling of controlling others, and attention (the three rewards I can imagine from such actions) are all much easier to get by some other means. I do find that mystery interesting.

Then I question why I am spending even a small amount of time and energy on wondering why they are spending . . . well, you get it -- and I move on! :D

I don't have a lot of drama in my life, at least not anymore, so I have to get it from the internets. Plus internet drama is the best drama because I can just close out my browser if it gets to be too much.

So, now that I'm home from work, it's time for part 2.

4LjBuJD.gif

Is it bad that I didn't realize today that "going down the rabbit hole" is a reference to Alice in Wonderland?

I don't have a lot of drama in my life, at least not anymore, so I have to get it from the internets. Plus internet drama is the best drama because I can just close out my browser if it gets to be too much.

So, now that I'm home from work, it's time for part 2.

4LjBuJD.gif

Is it bad that I didn't realize today that "going down the rabbit hole" is a reference to Alice in Wonderland?

I checked my feedly and the TruthAboutRuth/ScammerInAMinivan blog had 90 entries. 90 loooooooong entries. Just a heads up in case that rabbit hole ever opens up again. You're gonna be out for days.

I think Razing ruth is fascinating, like Thoughtful said, because it is interesting to think what drives this sort of behaviour.

It is also interesting because she managed to get such a large following of people onside, who would usually pride themselves on critical thinking. The way people defended her, when the first few people started to raise red flags, is what fascinates me.

It calls to attention to how flawed anyone's thinking can become, when they are at some level personally invested in someone or some cause.

It turns the spotlight on us at FJ I suppose, and I find that really interesting.

I think Razing ruth is fascinating, like Thoughtful said, because it is interesting to think what drives this sort of behaviour.

It is also interesting because she managed to get such a large following of people onside, who would usually pride themselves on critical thinking. The way people defended her, when the first few people started to raise red flags, is what fascinates me.

It calls to attention to how flawed anyone's thinking can become, when they are at some level personally invested in someone or some cause.

It turns the spotlight on us at FJ I suppose, and I find that really interesting.

And the same happened with Burris. Many of us jumped in her defence at the beginning when she just dropped the "I'm a war criminal" bombshell and someone started to smell BS and called her on it.

It seems it's difficult to maintain critical thinking towards people you think to know since a lot of time and you have grown to like even on the Internet.

Yeah, I remember on the Burris threads, there were also a few times when people wanted to shut down the discussion, so as not to give Burris any satisfaction, or a sense that she had scored one over on us.

I think it is helpful to enter into a period of self-reflection though, whenever I am duped. Whether that may be falling for a story on the internet, or paying a large amount of money for a worthless trinket on my vacation. :pull-hair:

It is always good to reflect and learn.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old post, but the internet is forever.  http://web.archive.org/web/20140506022025/http://www.truth-about-ruth.com/ Thanks for the shove down the bunny hole @CallmeChaCha .  I found Ruth on NLQ and then lost interest in her story before it got crazy.  Well end of the blog crazy would probably be a better way to look at it.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an old post, but the internet is forever.  http://web.archive.org/web/20140506022025/http://www.truth-about-ruth.com/ Thanks for the shove down the bunny hole @CallmeChaCha .  I found Ruth on NLQ and then lost interest in her story before it got crazy.  Well end of the blog crazy would probably be a better way to look at it.

The Razing Ruth stuff was the first thing I read when I came here. I spent weeks.. and I means hours every day for almost 3 weeks reading Truth About Ruth. It was way before my time but I was completely enthralled, mostly because it was like reading a real life Whodunnit. I sometimes wonder who she's trying to scam now because there's no way she was giving it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone over on GOMI had a possible Ruth sighting on CaringBridge/GoFundMe, but I couldn't find it with my lackluster searching skills.

• 6 months later...

Oy to the vey--I just waded my way through both the Ruth and Burris sagas. I think I'm a little shell shocked. They were definitely educational, though, and good insight into board culture. I wasn't here when either one went down, but have seen them referenced in various threads and was curious. Now I'm just stunned. 

Can somebody please throw me a rope and call the rescue ferrets? I'm drowning in Burrisgate. Holy shit, who admits to participating in war crimes on a snark board? 

Another rabbit hole you can go down is all that happened with AnnoDomini. I've never heard of Burrisgate, so I can't wait to go down that rabbit hole. And Razing Ruth is always an interesting rabbit hole to fall down.

11 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Holy shit, who admits to participating in war crimes on a snark board? 

Who lies and said they did when they didn't?

Archived