IGNORED

Daddy Arndt and the Manboys catch a flick!

JenniferJuniper

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they live near a town called Belleville.

I looked it up. They live in the county next door [emoji47]

I wonder if I've ever seen them randomly. Or if the next time I go home I'll run into them!

That area of Illinois is not the most conservative (nor the most liberal), so I am a little shocked there are real life bloggin fundies that are being sparked on on FJ around there. I would expect something farther in the boonies or closer to southern Missouri or Kentucky.

Surely one of them has to find someone to court. I mean even some Maxwells have married. The Maxwells for God sakes.

Surely one of them has to find someone to court. I mean even some Maxwells have married. The Maxwells for God sakes.

One difference I see between the Maxwells and the Arndts is the fact that the older Arndt kids support their parents both in terms of making money and doing things around the home. Rick's been doing his eternal film project and Cathy has always been a SAHM. Cathy came from a family with some money however it's not clear exactly how much she inherited. The Arndt parents need their kids' support, it's Rick's retirement plan.

In the case of the Maxwells, the entire family is involved in trying to generate income with the various family businesses which seems to be on the decline. It's not clear how much Steve got in his severance package when he "was called home" but I highly doubt it was so much money that it was enough to support the family forever. With declining income and 5 kids still at home, it's costing Steve to keep those kids around.

So strictly on the basis of money, all other issues aside, it makes sense that the Maxwells would let at least some of their kids go. Though I think Steveovah has a LOT more trouble letting his daughters go versus his sons.

You'd think with as many boys as they have, they would have married at least a couple of them off, built them homes on the property so they were still very close by and let them start having the next generation to carry on. Getting Wizzie married off doesn't help them that much because she would be property of the husband and no longer theirs unless they did something like the Duggars.

At first, I was going to say I didn't understand why they didn't let the menboys in their 30s at least have their own home on the property, but after I thought about it, why have 2 houses to upkeep if you can get by with just one. If there are no spouses to deal with, I guess they don't really need their own space since none of them seem to be itching to fly the coop.

Very strange circumstances.

Penguins in the Attic made me literally LOL. I used to love VC Andrews books when I was a teen.

Of all the fundies I follow, the Arndts are the most fascinating to me. Because:

1.) They seem like genuinely likable people. I wouldn't mind having them as neighbors.

2.) They don't seem overly preachy like the Duggars or the Maxwells (well, except for Daddy Arndt).

3.) They actually like to have fun.

4.) The adult sons actually socialize with real, regular people via their jobs. They are not isolated at all.

5.) Despite having so many kids, not one kid has flown the coop, or even gotten married and stayed in fundie semi-isolation.

It almost hurts my brain to think of how this can even be possible. I have to think Mommy and Daddy A must have done some serious brainwashing from an early age to have so much control over their adult children.

I don't think the Arndts are fundies. They don't associate with other known fundies, aren't a part of any fundy organization and, to the outside world, would not appear much different than anyone else. They don't scream I am different look at me. They partake in activities and dress in ways that you and I might but fundies would never do so. What they are is their own "functioning" cult. If it wasn't for outside work, I doubt they would have much reason to spend time with people outside the family.

Of all the fundies I follow, the Arndts are the most fascinating to me. Because:

1.) They seem like genuinely likable people. I wouldn't mind having them as neighbors.

2.) They don't seem overly preachy like the Duggars or the Maxwells (well, except for Daddy Arndt).

3.) They actually like to have fun.

4.) The adult sons actually socialize with real, regular people via their jobs. They are not isolated at all.

5.) Despite having so many kids, not one kid has flown the coop, or even gotten married and stayed in fundie semi-isolation.

It almost hurts my brain to think of how this can even be possible. I have to think Mommy and Daddy A must have done some serious brainwashing from an early age to have so much control over their adult children.

As often as I refer to my own FOO as Maxwellian in some ways, they were Arndtian in terms of 1, 2 and 4. I can pretty much guarantee that there's serious brainwashing voodoo courtesy of Rick and Cathy going on with those kids because I personally watched a similar dynamic with my younger sisters. Serious cult-like dynamics where the kids are happy to stay at home with Mom and Dad because they are convinced it's the best and safest place for them, also that Mom and Dad have their best interests at heart, and perhaps fear of displeasing Mom and Dad runs high to the point that leaving isn't even considered. Combined with the idea of expecting Princess Charming with all the right qualities to drop on their doorstep with no effort on the manboys' part, makes it very easy for Rick and Cathy to feel comfortable to letting the older manboys out of their cage home to go out and work. They rest assured knowing that every one of them will happily come back and not get any ideas of making break for it while away.

Since they are so likeable nobody would think that anything was amiss with the family while the kids were younger, they would have a Duggar-like appeal. But now with all 14 kids still at home, it's starting to look weird just as people questioned why my sisters were still at home in their 30's with nary a boyfriend in sight or even going on dates. Each married their very first boyfriend ever just as the Arndt boys will do if they ever get married however, I am not very hopeful of that, because I don't any of them have a chance to get to the "having a girlfriend" stage. I think Rick and Cathy probably have shot down a few possibilities by convincing the manboy involved that the girl was not good enough and manboy will do what Mommy and Daddy say.

there was an interesting post on cynthia jeub blog about the isolation that makes it look like home is the only safe place in a hostile world.

I don't think the Arndts are fundies. They don't associate with other known fundies, aren't a part of any fundy organization and, to the outside world, would not appear much different than anyone else. They don't scream I am different look at me. They partake in activities and dress in ways that you and I might but fundies would never do so. What they are is their own "functioning" cult. If it wasn't for outside work, I doubt they would have much reason to spend time with people outside the family.

I think all fundies are cultists.

The Arndts are a different brand of fundie, possibly because they started off as Roman Catholic. They dress more normally and engage with regular people. Gender roles are not as strictly enforced, possibly in part because they have so many sons.

But engaging with other people for work purposes is different than actually being a part of the real world. It seems they see other people differently than themselves. As charming as the "boys" can be, there is a real sense that their family is superior to others. Luke said in his diary once that he can't believe his luck in being born into the greatest family ever.

I know people think Cathy is running the show, partly because Rick comes across as such a screwball, but I really believe he is the cult leader and he - with Cathy's help - has successfully brainwashed his kids to the point that they can interact with the world, but will always return and be "safe at home" with their better way of life. Which as we know involves no sex, drugs, rock and roll or PG 13 movies, but lots of cuddly toys and Legos.

I had hopes for James. He seems a little removed from his brothers in some respects. A very talented, handy guy. But he has to be well into his 20's now and if doesn't make a move soon, I doubt any of them ever will.

I wonder if they did anything for this ratio of f to m. or someone in the world has a lot if grls :lol:

Actually, Cathy came from a large family that was mostly girls.

As charming as the "boys" can be, there is a real sense that their family is superior to others. Luke said in his diary once that he can't believe his luck in being born into the greatest family ever.

Re: the bolded, this may be the key the boys staying at home. The parents, namely Rick but probably Cathy too, have inculcated this belief that they and their family is the best one to ever walk the earth, a very strong "us" versus "them" mindset. No one else is worthy which poses another big challenge to these guys ever getting married. They would have to be willing link themselves to people outside of the great and wonderful family, people that they may see as part of the evil, outside world. No girl or her family will ever be seen as good enough.

Re: the bolded, this may be the key the boys staying at home. The parents, namely Rick but probably Cathy too, have inculcated this belief that they and their family is the best one to ever walk the earth, a very strong "us" versus "them" mindset. No one else is worthy which poses another big challenge to these guys ever getting married. They would have to be willing link themselves to people outside of the great and wonderful family, people that they may see as part of the evil, outside world. No girl or her family will ever be seen as good enough.

And they would probably have trouble finding a girl (woman, really, given the age of some of these men) who would happily join their weird, self-contained world.

They don't belong to a wider fundie group, so there is no pool of like minded females. And normal women might very well find a manboy or two cute and nice, but once they figure out how strange the family is, they'd probably flee.

Mental isolation and superior attitude aside, there are really no women for our boys. :(

And they would probably have trouble finding a girl (woman, really, given the age of some of these men) who would happily join their weird, self-contained world.

They don't belong to a wider fundie group, so there is no pool of like minded females. And normal women might very well find a manboy or two cute and nice, but once they figure out how strange the family is, they'd probably flee.

Mental isolation and superior attitude aside, there are really no women for our boys. :(

Right. Being so self contained and not part of any sort of bigger group there's very little opportunity for them to meet more like minded women. Also, with so many manboys still at home, I suspect people catching on that something is a bit weird with this family and word gets around. They might meet some women in the course of working (in the case of the older manboys) or at the famteam classic but their social skills are so stunted that they are like third graders who think girls have cooties or something. What woman will be willing to deal wih that?

Back in the day, when I was single, I had the mental list of "guys who were cute and nice but the family is messed up, don't go there". I suspect the manboys are on such mental lists.

I do wonder what kind of ordinary flirtatious behavior they have directly experienced, and how they reacted (oblivious? deep blush and run from the room? distracted and on the verge of developing a crush until Dad reminds them why it's better to be Safe At Home?). They must encounter sales people or county/court employees in the course of their work and travels, a friendly and flirtatious woman (or man :wink-kitty: ) who just turns on the charm and banter during their interaction, even without going so far as to ask for a date, etc. Sort of like how Zach and Whitney Bates must have done during their first few interactions at Sonic, before they decided they were 'officially' interested.

You'd think that photographing weddings might lead to (or inspire) something.

Or maybe it discourages. :shrug:

arndtphotography.com/

You'd think that photographing weddings might lead to (or inspire) something.

Or maybe it discourages. :shrug:

arndtphotography.com/

Whoa -- I'm no photography critic, but these look really good to me! And non-fundie weddings! You're right, how can the guys not be affected? It just makes the whole scene curiouser and curiouser. Those jokes about saltpeter are starting to seem less like jokes...

Whoa -- I'm no photography critic, but these look really good to me! And non-fundie weddings! You're right, how can the guys not be affected? It just makes the whole scene curiouser and curiouser. Those jokes about saltpeter are starting to seem less like jokes...

I am seriously freaking out because I got on Facebook and a friend of a friend who just got engaged put their engagement pictures on Facebook.

Guess who the photographer was? MARK ARNDT. Wtf! This is for real the same family?

I went to church with the guy who got engaged at a non-denominational church that was part of the SBC. There were regular people there, and of course the really strange people. Wonder if any of the Arndts ever showed up for service and fellowship once or twice?

And almost on cue, Luke posts a link to a "regular guy" video, complete with pop music and cultural references. Even My Little Pony makes a brief appearance.

Hello, boys. It really is nice to have you here!

I've never gotten to go to Bronycon, but there are people who create their own OCs. I have to admit it's a very talented fandom in the Cosplays, songs, videos, cartoons, drawings, and toys made by the fans.

The 100th episode for MLP:FIM focused on the background ponies, Dr Whooves in particular. The writers definitely listen to what the fans want.

I don't see the problem in adults enjoying a show that is well written and has good clean values just because it happens to be animated.

Oh no EmiGirl...I have offended you :cry: I am so sorry if I did. I really didn't mean to bring up bronies in a disparaging way, the link was just to explain what the term meant. There is nothing wrong with adults "enjoying a show that is well written and has good clean values" at all. Which is exactly why I thought of the Arndts. They seem to love their stuffed penguins, and other activities aimed generally for a younger audience, and I thought the MLP series would pass their strict rules on what to watch.

I love my colouring books, not normally an adult pastime (although it admittedly is becoming one now with the advent of adults colouring books) so I can't criticise anyone. The community around MLP fascinates me a little, I have to say, but the artwork is beautiful.

Oh no EmiGirl...I have offended you :cry: I am so sorry if I did. I really didn't mean to bring up bronies in a disparaging way, the link was just to explain what the term meant. There is nothing wrong with adults "enjoying a show that is well written and has good clean values" at all. Which is exactly why I thought of the Arndts. They seem to love their stuffed penguins, and other activities aimed generally for a younger audience, and I thought the MLP series would pass their strict rules on what to watch.

I love my colouring books, not normally an adult pastime (although it admittedly is becoming one now with the advent of adults colouring books) so I can't criticise anyone. The community around MLP fascinates me a little, I have to say, but the artwork is beautiful.

It's cool. I just tend to jump to defense mode because the Brony culture is generally made fun of...a lot. Our living room is full of plush ponies and my husband never corrects anyone when they assume that they're mine or that we have a daughter.

Definitely watch the Brony documentary made by John DeLancie. It really gives a good view of the community.

I found their site today and logged on to post similar comments. Their photography is very good, modern, and not all modest brides or couples by any means.

That coupled with the earlier comments has me leaning toward that they are Evangelical Catholics (I don't know for sure...comment if you have read if they profess their exact faith) and having fundie Baptist family members who really dislike Catholics and also living in Illinois and knowing very few Evangelical Catholics (mostly the moms or grandmas in some families but rarely the entire family) I feel that could isolate them by not having a like minded community to fellowship with.

I also believe that Mama A strongly believes no woman is good enough for her sons and makes it next to impossible for the manboys to date.

That and who wants to date a man who poses in his parents bedroom with his mom's hand on his belly once a year...Not me

Archived