IGNORED

Duggars Without Pity

roddma

Here's part of a random comment posted on DWOP by a 'Jim Phillips' from another article online about Josiah's breakup.

The Duggar original house for 14+ was provided by the church next door for free. The church used it (for families in need) from their congregation. They let the Duggars live there FREE as a family in need.

Their vehicles were all donated to them through local area churches. All the Duggar clothing and a lot of their food were from assistance programs for the poor in the area; so the Duggars were POOR.

Don't buy into their TV lies. The Duggars and TLC produced a reality TV show of what people wanted to see that made things look different from what their lives were really all about. It is NOT even related to the realities of the Duggar family. TLC bought into the lie willingly. They knew it was bullshit, but it made for good TV.

The rest is too lengthy to post. Much of the comment we already know like how one or two of the kids are behind in school , the donations,or the 200k TLC gave them to finish the house. In the 20 and Counting book, they claimed to have sold the church the 'Johnson Road House' they bought for 65K cash. . Of course, I take the comment with a grain of salt like I did the 'Alice' comment, but much of it is true, and if they lived free in the church house, they told some whoppers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a comment years ago, probably on DWOP, that they lived in the church house free because it was going to be demolished soon and it was just temporary housing for them until demo time.

I didn't think much of it at the time since it made sense to me that the church would let them stay rent free for a few months in a house they were planing to take down and I didn't really follow the Duggars that close back then. I mostly read DWOP when I was all caught up on my Gosselin news and tired of hitting refresh :shifty-kitty:

I seem to recall them even saying in one of the early specials that yeah, it was going to be demolished anyway, so why not let the Duggars demolish it a little by living in it first?

Here's part of a random comment posted on DWOP by a 'Jim Phillips' from another article online about Josiah's breakup.

The rest is too lengthy to post. Much of the comment we already know like how one or two of the kids are behind in school , the donations,or the 200k TLC gave them to finish the house. In the 20 and Counting book, they claimed to have sold the church the 'Johnson Road House' they bought for 65K cash. . Of course, I take the comment with a grain of salt like I did the 'Alice' comment, but much of it is true, and if they lived free in the church house, they told some whoppers.

Okay, maybe it's because I just woke up, but I'm not getting this. The Duggars lived in the church house for free. The Duggars were poor. The Duggars got donations. The Duggars started a reality show on TLC, and TLC helped them finish their house. Wasn't all of this common knowledge already? Did they lie and say they bought the house from the church and then let the church demolish it...?

Yep, colour me confused. Time for my daily dose of caffeine. :lol:

I think the point is that JB tried to see us the story that they were never in debt, and they bought things only with cash. But, many may interpret that living in a house for free that someone else owns, and driving vehicles that were donated to you by others, does not equate to debt-free living.

JB and M, in the early specials talk about how they buy used, save the difference, never buy on credit, and basically give the impression that their frugal money management was all that was needed to provide for their large family.. But, if they never owned their house, or paid rent or paid for vehicles, then they are giving the false impression that having a family with 14 kids is a reasonable thing that almost anyone could do buy just pinching a few pennies here and there.

The duggars also make a big deal about not taking government handouts, yet it would appear as if they have no issue with private hand outs.

It just adds more fuel to the fire of their hypocrisy over all.

Was this purportedly, before or after JB shot his hundreds of thousands of dollars wad on a failed Senate run?

Was this purportedly, before or after JB shot his hundreds of thousands of dollars wad on a failed Senate run?

I have no idea what's true and what's rumor anymore, but I remember an article stating that Jim Bob had sold all his property to finance his state legislature and Senate runs, which is when I assume their financial hardships really started. Before that, while not well-off exactly, they had decent money and any hardships were deliberate because of JB's insistence on living well below their means.

But yeah, that comment doesn't really contradict anything we already know. They've always preferred grifting over going into debt and made no bones about it.

So they were poor as dirt (no surprise), but Jim Bob saw no problem in dropping a shit ton of money on failed campaigns. Irresponsible doesn't even begin to describe Jim Bob and Michelle.

All of these fundies like to talk about how inexpensive kids are when you buy everything second-hand and homeschool. Uh... no. What happens when one (or more) of those kids has medical issues? How much do you think continually updated school curricula for 10+ kids costs? Post-natal appointments? Food (which the cost of is rising rapidly)? All of those household items that break down more quickly when 14 (or 21) people are using them? House repairs?

I really hate what they did to those kids.

Someone posted that comment on Jezebel too.

jezebel.com/the-duggar-original-house-for-14-was-provided-by-the-c-1722357937

I don't even think it's accurate. In one of the early specials they show the Duggars moving into a home that is about to be demolished, and if I recall, that was the "church owned" home. I re-watched it. As explained in their first special, the Duggars sold their house to a church expecting to move into their current house. When they didn't finish the new house, the church let them stay until they needed to tear down the original house as part of an expansion. Then they moved into a temporary rental. Maybe the Duggars couldn't afford their home, and turned it over to the church, who let them stay. Maybe they really did sell it and rented it back from the church. It's not like they woke up one day with 14 kids. It's very likely that Jimmy Sr & Mary helped them buy their first home before they had any kids. Have they ever claimed to never have had any debt? They've always said they decided to live debt free after Jim Sammon's seminar. It seems like they got lucky and invested in some commercial property that turned out well. Other than likely being paid to endorse the seminar, I've missed where they claim anyone can afford to have 19 kids by thrift shopping.

A commenter on People said that their original house only had two bedrooms with one of them belonging to Michelle and Jim Bob. It's like the internet is so busy spreading outrage they can't even keep the facts straight.

I think the point is that JB tried to see us the story that they were never in debt, and they bought things only with cash. But, many may interpret that living in a house for free that someone else owns, and driving vehicles that were donated to you by others, does not equate to debt-free living.

JB and M, in the early specials talk about how they buy used, save the difference, never buy on credit, and basically give the impression that their frugal money management was all that was needed to provide for their large family.. But, if they never owned their house, or paid rent or paid for vehicles, then they are giving the false impression that having a family with 14 kids is a reasonable thing that almost anyone could do buy just pinching a few pennies here and there.

The duggars also make a big deal about not taking government handouts, yet it would appear as if they have no issue with private hand outs.

It just adds more fuel to the fire of their hypocrisy over all.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. They made it sound like anyone could swing having umpteen children if they were only frugal enough. That's not true for them or anyone else. On top of it, toward the latter part of the show airing, they definitely started living well outside of what anyone would call frugal. Whether TLC was paying for it or not wasn't the point for me. The bottom line is that they were regularly on TV wasting money on crap many people who truly are frugal would never buy or could never afford. In their private lives, too, it became evident that they were the last example of frugality I'd seen in a while. Modesty also went out the window, too, all the while they were still preaching about it.....but that's another story for another day. Bottom line: they are hypocrites and frauds.

Well, what are the chances of them "making do" with the assets they have now? Do they own all the land they claim to own? Do they own their current house, or does that somehow belong to TLC?

I got the impression somewhere that Jim Bob bought a lot of property around that stark, unlandscaped, ugly house they live in so that he could give all of his children houses of their own on property he owned and he could live to be 99, still being the Grand PooBaa of the family who worships him. Har de har to that! If there's a market for residential lots he could break that property into lots and sell them. IF he owns the property. I think that anyone idiotic enough to blow his nest egg on a frankly hopeless election attempt is pretty damn stupid with money, especially if he's got a whack of kids. After that, how exactly did he construct his supossedly fabulous portfolio of property? The money from TLC would obviously provide massive funding, but still . . . even in those years, how much would he have left over after he paid all the expenses for his kids, his wife, his flock of vehicles (how many does one family actually NEED?), taxes, gas, heating and cooling (I can't believe TLC paid for ALL their household expenses, portable phones, etc. etc. etc.,) because the Duggars weren't living on the cheap at the end of the show.

The fact that he blew all that money on a pointless race, doesn't actually work at all, and has all those vehicles parked out back suggests to me that this is a man with very little sense about money. I don't care if he ran seminars about how to save money; I'd bet a good deal that he hasn't got much saved, and that his fabulous property portfolio includes at least some land that's well out of town and not the sort of thing that gets snapped up top dollar by eager bidders. He'd never recognize it, but he's a grifter, so is Michelle, and that they got a FABULOUS opportunity to grift that is over.

Are they and most of the children able to work at anything that would bring in good money?

Sorry, I know this is overly long. But another issue that puzzles me: is it possible to get elected to the US Senate without holding a college degree? I know it would be perfectly legal for a non-degreed non-professional to be a Senator, and I think there are a lot of people without college educations that would be great Senators. But in the 21st century, ARE there many (or any) Senators without some kind of college degree? Because if there aren't, Jim Bob's senate bid was astonishingly stupid. He was a minnow among sharks. He had some overblown fantasy about being God's chosen candidate and ran with it: he was kind of pathetic.

The thing about Jim Bob--or anyone one thing--is that he believes he is an important and intelligent man, and he's not. My grandfather had a 5th grade education but was smart and a whip. I'm not saying only people with BA or BS degrees or higher should run for office; I'm saying that a man with a HS education and a fantasy that God wanted him to run for office is kind of stupid, has grandiose dreams in which he's the main character, and isn't likely to be a good father who provides for his children. He certainly hasn't provided them with educations that are recognized outside of Fundieland. He makes me furious.

Well, what are the chances of them "making do" with the assets they have now? Do they own all the land they claim to own? Do they own their current house, or does that somehow belong to TLC?

I got the impression somewhere that Jim Bob bought a lot of property around that stark, unlandscaped, ugly house they live in so that he could give all of his children houses of their own on property he owned and he could live to be 99, still being the Grand PooBaa of the family who worships him. Har de har to that! If there's a market for residential lots he could break that property into lots and sell them. IF he owns the property. I think that anyone idiotic enough to blow his nest egg on a frankly hopeless election attempt is pretty damn stupid with money, especially if he's got a whack of kids. After that, how exactly did he construct his supossedly fabulous portfolio of property? The money from TLC would obviously provide massive funding, but still . . . even in those years, how much would he have left over after he paid all the expenses for his kids, his wife, his flock of vehicles (how many does one family actually NEED?), taxes, gas, heating and cooling (I can't believe TLC paid for ALL their household expenses, portable phones, etc. etc. etc.,) because the Duggars weren't living on the cheap at the end of the show.

The fact that he blew all that money on a pointless race, doesn't actually work at all, and has all those vehicles parked out back suggests to me that this is a man with very little sense about money. I don't care if he ran seminars about how to save money; I'd bet a good deal that he hasn't got much saved, and that his fabulous property portfolio includes at least some land that's well out of town and not the sort of thing that gets snapped up top dollar by eager bidders. He'd never recognize it, but he's a grifter, so is Michelle, and that they got a FABULOUS opportunity to grift that is over.

Are they and most of the children able to work at anything that would bring in good money?

Sorry, I know this is overly long. But another issue that puzzles me: is it possible to get elected to the US Senate without holding a college degree? I know it would be perfectly legal for a non-degreed non-professional to be a Senator, and I think there are a lot of people without college educations that would be great Senators. But in the 21st century, ARE there many (or any) Senators without some kind of college degree? Because if there aren't, Jim Bob's senate bid was astonishingly stupid. He was a minnow among sharks. He had some overblown fantasy about being God's chosen candidate and ran with it: he was kind of pathetic.

The thing about Jim Bob--or anyone one thing--is that he believes he is an important and intelligent man, and he's not. My grandfather had a 5th grade education but was smart and a whip. I'm not saying only people with BA or BS degrees or higher should run for office; I'm saying that a man with a HS education and a fantasy that God wanted him to run for office is kind of stupid, has grandiose dreams in which he's the main character, and isn't likely to be a good father who provides for his children. He certainly hasn't provided them with educations that are recognized outside of Fundieland. He makes me furious.

I agree that IF he sold all of the properties to fund his 2006 (?) election, how did he amass all the current properties and assets that he now holds? It's only been 9 years and he had a family of 20+ that he was supporting during that time. Realistically, the numbers do not add up, if he cashed out to fund that failed campaign.

And if he didn't sell the property, where did the "personal" couple of hundred grand come from?

It does not add up- I'd like to see the financials and a full 7 year audit.

Ironic that they accepted so much help from that church but when the money came in they decided to go to the "home church" instead. Which makes me wonder if they passed the collection plate during those services.

None of this surprises me at all. JB falls in that category of "gots mine". You know, the people who manage to crawl out of poverty but don't give a shit about other poor people. You know what infuriates me the most? The Duggars were on government assistance and in debt back in the day, lied about it, but condemn it now. There are no words for the outrage I feel!

None of this surprises me at all. JB falls in that category of "gots mine". You know, the people who manage to crawl out of poverty but don't give a shit about other poor people. You know what infuriates me the most? The Duggars were on government assistance and in debt back in the day, lied about it, but condemn it now. There are no words for the outrage I feel!

I don't know if he was on the government beyond Josie's care, as all micro- preemies are eligible, so you know that JB took the free ride. Although I have no doubt that the kindness of strangers, not labeled "the government" was clearly part of JB's monthly budget. The laundry fairy is the perfect example of this.

I do agree on the "gots mine" mentality, and based on JB's outward competitiveness with his kids, I have no doubt that one day it will apply to each of those kids too.

JB will be fine. The kids will be fine as long as JB shares his wealth (that he actually earned off of them). Once JB decides they need to "get theirs," those kids will be in much tougher positions.

Well said. It is their hypocrisy that gets me every time. And makes me want karma to slap 'em good.

That and the gall of selling your family to the media as wholesome, better than, religious and God fearing, all the time knowing that your adolescent son molested 4 of his sisters plus another young girl.

And then, once exposed, running to the media again to explain it all away.

So crass, gross and phony.

A degree is not required, as you noted. Curiously, a quick google says there are some 25+ that don't have one. Nonetheless, I'm glad Arkanasians (?) didn't elect the Boobinator.

Edited for clarity.

That and the gall of selling your family to the media as wholesome, better than, religious and God fearing, all the time knowing that your adolescent son molested 4 of his sisters plus another young girl.

And then, once exposed, running to the media again to explain it all away.

So crass, gross and phony.

This is why I think even their more ardent leg humping supporters will eventually fall away. It's one thing to knee jerk the "it's a gay, liberal, feminist agenda!" thing. But when the outrage fades, they're left with the reality of what Josh and his parents did and the fact that the show was a total fraud.

According to the Washington County Assessor, in 1992 the house at 2101 Johnson Road was purchased by Garret Ruark from the Department of Veteran Affairs. He then sold it to Jim Bob and Michelle a few months later.

Jim Bob and Michelle sold it to the First Baptist Church in 2001. I appears that the foundation of the house is still there located by the parking lot of the church. On the map it says the church is called Cross Church Springdale Campus.

The deeds show the house being sold to each person for $1. But the assessor has other amounts for the sale price.

I seem to remember seeing the name Garrett Ruark as the name of the person that sold them a couple of their other properties.

I thought I had remembered them saying that the church owned the house and let them live there because there were going to demolish it anyways. I guess what really happened was the Duggars sold the house to the church and the church allowed them to continue to live there until it was demolished.

where on DWOP was this post? Under what heading?

It's under "Saving Jim Phillip's Comment"

Anyhow, it seems they weren't really poor, but great grifters. These types hold fast to their money while living on someone else's dime. On the fec.gov site for campaign donations, Jim Bob gave 10k to ARKANSAS GOP back in 2002. This was during the time they allegedly' were scraping by' before the first special. but I could see how he managed to save 10k if he lived rent free in the church house.

I put the Bateses in the same category as great grifters and JB and Gil are both narcissists. Gil just isnt as public.An average person would give anything for a honeymoon trip to Paris.

I guess what really happened was the Duggars sold the house to the church and the church allowed them to continue to live there until it was demolished.

THats what I think too. The Johnson Road House was the one they sold the church and put 110k toward Boob's campaign.

I don't know if he was on the government beyond Josie's care, as all micro- preemies are eligible, so you know that JB took the free ride. Although I have no doubt that the kindness of strangers, not labeled "the government" was clearly part of JB's monthly budget. The laundry fairy is the perfect example of this.

I do agree on the "gots mine" mentality, and based on JB's outward competitiveness with his kids, I have no doubt that one day it will apply to each of those kids too.

JB will be fine. The kids will be fine as long as JB shares his wealth (that he actually earned off of them). Once JB decides they need to "get theirs," those kids will be in much tougher positions.

I took "assistance programs for the poor" to mean public assistance. Maybbe I'm wrong.

The deed says the Duggars sold the house to the church for $1 in 2001. The assessor has the estimated sale price to be $250,000. Sounds shady to me.

The Duggars sold the house to the church in 2001. What year was it demolished? Wasn't it several years after 2001? Did they live there free that entire time?

Archived