IGNORED

Mally family attempts to convert public school teachers

lilah

For those of you who don't know; Sarah Mally is the author of the Duggar's favorite book "before you meet Prince Charming" and she is also Professional Virgin since she's in her mid thirties, has no plans to get married and runs a sucessful fundie light ministry for young girls that's largely about being a good and virginal christian. And for fun she blogs about her family and colleagues's attempts to convert people. Sometimes they go out on the street sometimes it's while she's traveling by airplane and in this case it was at the National Educators Association conference. The mally family was there to sell literature about how evolution is wrong.

I get that her blog recaps on soul winning edit out any person who tells them to leave them to eff off or anybody who wins an argument. StilL hearing how they have successfully converted trachers also often usually people who already think they're Christians just not the right brand of Christianity makes me want to die a little. They also need to point of talking about how the NEA conference forcing them to sit next to the LGBT teachers table (lol) and they made a point of talking about how nice TehEvilGays were. No recaps on how they converted the gays maybe because the gay people outsmarted their dumb arguments.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=14897

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=15000

AHHHH.....This drives me nuts every year!!! I am a public school teacher and their level of stupidity reaches no bounds...Equally offensive is the last time they witnessed to a Jewish man and a JW.....Honestly I have no idea how they get in there, I suppose they pay the vendor fees. They also don't seem to get that most of the teachers are probably trying to engage them in a reasonable discussion, not be "converted."

I feel sorry for Frank, the Native American. He probably was some guy who wanted to point out that all religions have merit in his world view, and the Mallys missed the point completely. Oh course, they are not "dissing" anybody's belief system. Oy.

I do question if the conversations go on the way that they describe them, or if, as in the case with the lady with the green vest, she was in a pic and asked a couple basic questions and they embellished the story a bit for effect.

Also, I love how their booth is right next to the LGBT.

Those are the good stories? The lady "brought to tears", doesn't look happy to be talking to them, her body language doesn't read very open or warm to them. Wonder if she was brought to frustrated tears dealing with these people. Don't think some of the other stories read the same to me as they do to them. Hopefully the Native American guy was blowing them off, as I kind of read. And glad the Mormon got to deal with the same headache we hear when talking to Mormons. I want to hear the circles and pity for the other, that would be them talking to a JW. That would be so fun.

The pictures don't lead me to believe they were a huge hit, and wonder why they were moved? Expense, rude to neighbors, what? That isn't a normal thing to do at all at a convention. Also doesn't seem they unloaded a lot of books. But using the kids is a low blow, and they know it, they use them because people wont be rude to the kids, not to train the kids as suggested.

LOL. I love the bit of rainbow peeking above the booth.

I wonder how many folks just go over to have a go at the fundies and Sarah turns it into some kind of conversion story (as I suspect the case with Frank was)?

Oh, for Pete's sake...I can hardly take the smug.

Do Sarah/Grace record these conversations? Take notes? Have prodigious memories? It's so ridiculous to recount these long conversations in quotes.

It's probably the cradle Catholic in me, but I love how the second blog post concludes with Grace essentially saying, "I don't have to try to follow the commandments 'cos Jesus died for me saved by faith alone blah blah," and trying to follow them is "sad" and a "burden." I'm no fan of Mormonism, but I respect that man for standing his ground.

“You believe as you have been taught. I believe as I have been taught. I know that Jesus died for our sins,†the Mormon man said.

“All of them?†Tony asked.

“Yes, he died for all of our sin,†he replied.

“Okay, so you can rest now?†Tony asked.

“No, I can’t rest!†he said.

How sad. He is trying to do the impossible! What a burden. If he would only believe God’s Word.

.As the conversation was wrapping up, Steve stated, “I want you to hear this very, very carefully: We are not dissing Native American culture. When I share about Jesus, it comes out of great love for the people that I’m talking to. I love the Native American people so much I want to preach the gospel to them so that they might come to faith in Jesus.â€

I love that this followed them telling him his religion was as wrong as 8=9. They respect the culture though? How can you respect the culture but tell him his beliefs are wrong? :pull-hair:

My favorite part was their booth beside a LGBT group. Someone had a sense of humor.

Golly gosh, the Mallys really are special, aren't they?

I kind of want to get stuck on a plane next to one of these idiots. Not so I can engage but so I can stay put, plug in and ignore them for the entire flight, effectively shutting them down from bothering people unless THEY choose to ask to change seats.

As a family of educators, I had to go out to the NEA site and figure out what was up by letting these yahoos join. I found a list of caucuses (6 pages). You can look for it here: nea.org/home/37004.htm?q=Tony%20Ramsek She states that: "The NEA is one of the most liberal organizations that exists in America." but if you read thru the Caucus list you will see several conservative groups but a lot of them are probably neutral because their purpose is for the environment or historic preservation, or health schools or career and technical ed teachers.

I noticed one- and thought of the ex gay that is famous on here (I don't follow him, just understand the references all of you make) the caucus name: NEA Ex-Gay Educators Caucus

The long quotes of conversations are ridiculous and have to be made up unless they were recording the conversations (which I would assume would be without consent).

So after they move she states: "I snapped this picture as a flood of non-stop traffic was flowing by our booth. Talk about adrenaline rush! [smile]" First, download some emotion cons for your blog. Second, a duh, that happens in every. single. convention. about. anything. All the booths are placed in a circle/square type configuration that everyone needs to go around like herding cattle. I've been to Mary Kay conventions, track coach conventions, child support conventions, home builders (home expos), quilt shows, flea markets, etc all have floods of people going around looking at different products. I wonder where NEA will have the conference next year, maybe I can convince my hubs to attend and I go to the booths...I need to do some more digging. They would try and convert me too because I am Catholic. yup, wrong type of Christian.

As a family of educators, I had to go out to the NEA site and figure out what was up by letting these yahoos join. I found a list of caucuses (6 pages). You can look for it here: nea.org/home/37004.htm?q=Tony%20Ramsek She states that: "The NEA is one of the most liberal organizations that exists in America." but if you read thru the Caucus list you will see several conservative groups but a lot of them are probably neutral because their purpose is for the environment or historic preservation, or health schools or career and technical ed teachers.

I noticed one- and thought of the ex gay that is famous on here (I don't follow him, just understand the references all of you make) the caucus name: NEA Ex-Gay Educators Caucus

The long quotes of conversations are ridiculous and have to be made up unless they were recording the conversations (which I would assume would be without consent).

So after they move she states: "I snapped this picture as a flood of non-stop traffic was flowing by our booth. Talk about adrenaline rush! [smile]" First, download some emotion cons for your blog. Second, a duh, that happens in every. single. convention. about. anything. All the booths are placed in a circle/square type configuration that everyone needs to go around like herding cattle. I've been to Mary Kay conventions, track coach conventions, child support conventions, home builders (home expos), quilt shows, flea markets, etc all have floods of people going around looking at different products. I wonder where NEA will have the conference next year, maybe I can convince my hubs to attend and I go to the booths...I need to do some more digging. They would try and convert me too because I am Catholic. yup, wrong type of Christian.

Just thought of this - After looking at the list of caucus's, next year I hope they get put next to LGBT and the Science Caucus and the environmental and if there is a constitutional or history teacher caucus. They all could help correct the Mally's. [smile]

Thinking more about this, I assume on every other caucus it is ran by teachers or past teachers but not NEA Creation Science Educators' Caucus, as far as I can tell. With no website it is difficult to do a lot of searching

What smug bastards. Poor Frank -- like Native Americans haven't suffered enough at the hands of "Christians" trying to convert them. Hideous.

I am pleased at the pushback they got, though. The Jewish/Christian hybrid woman and the Mormon man were interesting. Both tried to talk about actually doing good in the world, and the Mally family thought they were teaching them that that is irrelevant (cuz, you know, faith alone -- and proselytizing -- and denying women health care and control over their fertility...but with those three things, off to Heaven you go!).

It actually sounded like Steve was more irritated than the Mormon guy, who was the only person who appeared to have a smile when talking with that group of "Christians." Good for him.

I'd also love to see them next year placed beside LGBT, science, environment, constitutional history -- anything to challenge their beliefs. What self righteous fools.

I think they only got that far with the "Jewish" woman because she converted to Christianity. My dad would have given them a curt "My spiritual needs are being met" before walking in the opposite direction.

Part of the reason I am glad to be moving out of Eastern Iowa is that I no longer need to fear sitting next to them on a plane.

I just like that they were put next to the LGBT booth. Then again, that cant've been good for the LGBT people manning and coming to that booth! I'm torn on this.

I have to give them a teeny tiny bit of credit for referring to that booth as the LGBT booth instead of dubbing it "the homosexuals' booth" or some other offensive term. I can't recall anyone else at this far end of the fundie spectrum ever using the term LGBT.

Oh. My. Right now I am planning a conference for a somewhat similar organization. We're strictly vetting who gets to have booths. But even if they did show up to ours-- who the heck do they think goes to these events? People who believe strongly in the organizational mission, that's who. I somehow don't believe that any highly involved school teachers suddenly realized the evils of the department of education in between plenary sessions. I suspect that like 95% of "witnessing" stories are straight fiction. Those people were trying to be civil and they went home with a good story about the total nut jobs they saw at the convention.

Golly gosh, the Mallys really are special, aren't they?

I kind of want to get stuck on a plane next to one of these idiots. Not so I can engage but so I can stay put, plug in and ignore them for the entire flight, effectively shutting them down from bothering people unless THEY choose to ask to change seats.

I'm sure they'd still put up a blog post about how they're just sure that you were convicted by their presence, even if you don't realize it now. They planted a seed!

I have to laugh that they're giving away videos of the Ken Ham/Bill Nye debate. Bill Nye mopped the floor with Ken Ham, and most of the evangelicals I know prefer not to remember/acknowledge that it happened. It takes a serious ego trip to have no idea that creationism lost that round.

I have to laugh that they're giving away videos of the Ken Ham/Bill Nye debate. Bill Nye mopped the floor with Ken Ham, and most of the evangelicals I know prefer not to remember/acknowledge that it happened. It takes a serious ego trip to have no idea that creationism lost that round.

Unfortunately a lot of people think Ham wiped the floor with Bill Nye. My Sunday School teacher is currently using JUST AIG for his lessons at the momemt. I'm currently looking for a different class to go to after he laughed at my beliefs and said that evolution is just ridiculous.

Every time I read these kind of stories, I find myself wanting to troll these people. I mean, they'd totally twist it and claim I'd been "saved" and make up a fiction that makes them look great, but they're going to do that anyway, so.... :mrgreen:

:angry-banghead:

as a reformed fundy-lite who has taught Sarah Mally's Bright Light's curriculum - these people make me bats.

Oh and Sarah dear - a program that you wrote for girls 9 to whatever where you encourage and design the program too be run by older girls and not legitimate adults is just ridiculous. The things that should be covered in there are not and I cannot imagine covering some of this stuff as led by a 16 year old.

As to the NEA conference thing my favorite portion of that might have been the LDS guy.

Sometimes, I suspect that fundies have edited their bible to remove the bit about "That which you do to the least among you, you do also to me."

Oh, for Pete's sake...I can hardly take the smug.

Do Sarah/Grace record these conversations? Take notes? Have prodigious memories? It's so ridiculous to recount these long conversations in quotes.

It's probably the cradle Catholic in me, but I love how the second blog post concludes with Grace essentially saying, "I don't have to try to follow the commandments 'cos Jesus died for me saved by faith alone blah blah," and trying to follow them is "sad" and a "burden." I'm no fan of Mormonism, but I respect that man for standing his ground.

Must be pretty nice to just be able to say I LUV U, JEEESUS!! and get a free pass on whatever you do for the rest of your life* :roll:

*Excluding being gay, having abortions, or wearing bikinis

The Malleys are not "fundie light", whatever that means. They are hardcore. Just wanted to add that correction for the OP.

Yes, I'm sure the person who asked "are you here tomorrow" was trying to come back for more... not trying to avoid you completely so they could shop in peace.... :doh:

The pictures don't lead me to believe they were a huge hit, and wonder why they were moved? Expense, rude to neighbors, what? That isn't a normal thing to do at all at a convention. Also doesn't seem they unloaded a lot of books. But using the kids is a low blow, and they know it, they use them because people wont be rude to the kids, not to train the kids as suggested.

A few months ago, I decided to read Grace's blog from the beginning up to more recent posts I had already read due to FJ. Interestingly, this is not the first time they've had to move in the middle of the NEA conference - it's happened at least one other time.

Reading their blog from the beginning was interesting. There's a definite pattern to their yearly schedules. Given that Grace and Sarah are still young women, I would expect them to want to mix things up more than they do. On the other hand, they get tons more freedom than say, the Maxwells. They frequently travel sans parents, usually in groups of other young women but sometimes (seemingly) alone to present at conferences - not as family presenters, but as individual presenters. Each is a published author. They travel internationally, and they are encouraged to speak to strangers in their daily lives (which the Maxwells, for all their talk of witnessing, don't seem to do much beyond pre-planned outreaches). The blog seems more spontaneous and genuinely peppy than the Maxwell blog.

Given that the unmarried Mally women seem to enjoy their active leadership roles in the family ministry, their version of SAHD seems much better than in that of other fundie families.

Archived