IGNORED

Free Anna Duggar and the M Kids - Part 2 - Merge

happy atheist

My first name is a not particularly common, but I don't think very uncommon name with a y as i pronunciation. Unfortunately it's not so common that

people actually realize Lydia is pronounced the way it is. I've been called "Linda" "Lindia" a lot. Sometimes in school, when a kid didn't know how to pronounce my name. So annoying. Because I feel like the pronunciation of my name is fairly obvious, right? Since "Lidia" and "Lidya" appear on all my starbucks cups.

Also, I know of some girls named Kinsey or Kynzie. So maybe Mackynzie is not just a manifestation of the bad pronunciation, but rather, trying to be trendy/ending up being tacky.

I love your name, it's beautiful.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah;, I wouldn't think that name is at all hard to pronounce....

I have a friend named Jane, spelled that way. She gets asked all the time of her name is spelled Jayne, Jain, or some other kreee8iv way. It drives her nuts, but not half as buts as people who refuse to say her whole last name. It is hyphenated, so people like to keep insisting the part before the hyphen doesn't exist.

I grew up in the Southwest. I would have told you "pen" and "pin", "Kin" and "ken" etc, were homophones. I don't think my pronunciation was unique; at least, I was never singled out for my accent.

I now live in New England. I pronounce pen and pin differently, but lots of words I can go back and forth on, depending on how attentive I am being. Until I read all the comments here, I would never have thought Bin or Kinzie were odd pronunciations at all.

I think it's an accent - not sure how broadly used, but Arkansas isn't exactly the Southwest.

I met someone at freshman orientation in college who had a fairly long name that mostly consisted of syllables and such that are not present in the English language, so everyone stared at him conpletely dumbfounded. He told us, "Oh, just call me [nickname]" but the nickname had syllables/sounds we had never heard never as well. So he ended up telling us, "Just call me Moe." I felt like such an ignorant American asshole. But since there was a whole group of us he might not have wanted to take the time to teach everyone.

I knew one girl in college whose name was Ibironke (her family is from Nigeria; I actually looked up the meaning of her name because I was curious, and I really like it: "she will be loved and cherished by her family"), and since so many people had trouble with Ee-bee-rohn-kay, she just went by Ibi most of the time. My name is a slightly uncommon Anglo-Saxon name, but so many people spell it wrong that I just give them my nickname (which they still spell like five different ways anyway).

I knew one girl in college whose name was Ibironke (her family is from Nigeria; I actually looked up the meaning of her name because I was curious, and I really like it: "she will be loved and cherished by her family"), and since so many people had trouble with Ee-bee-rohn-kay, she just went by Ibi most of the time. My name is a slightly uncommon Anglo-Saxon name, but so many people spell it wrong that I just give them my nickname (which they still spell like five different ways anyway).

Really? I have a friend from Nigeria with that as a last name.....,

The foreign names are where I always feel the most guilty....

Names that are completely normal where they're from, but I have no clue how to pronounce. I have to call out people's names frequently and it's always awkward because I never know how to pronounce them. Luckily I get a get a lot of them right by guess, but the times I've muddled them up, I've felt terrible.

I'm half American, half English. My (American) mother takes credit for giving me a very very English name. In England it's uncommon, but known as a name and people have heard of it. When I go to America, no one can cope. I say it, and they think its a foreign language, I spell it and its worse.

Imogen

Then you add my last name which is a (non embarrassing) body part, which no one believes can actually be part of a name :wink-penguin:

Meredith has a much less tacky name than Mackynzie. Marcus and Michael are fine too.

Poor Kynzie is going to develop such a complex, being the only sister mom for a few years & having the only weird name.

Meredith has a much less tacky name than Mackynzie. Marcus and Michael are fine too.

Poor Kynzie is going to develop such a complex, being the only sister mom for a few years & having the only weird name.

US Social Security lists the popularity of Meredith:

2014 606

2013 659

2012 668

2011 600

2010 604

2009 483

2008 445

2007 346

2006 312

2005 367

2004 335

2003 363

2002 356

2001 323

2000 293

Mackynzie is not listed, but Mackenzie is:

2014 69

2013 62

2012 71

2011 68

2010 68

2009 77

2008 65

2007 65

2006 53

2005 51

2004 44

2003 45

2002 41

2001 40

2000 43

Frankly, based on relative use, Meredith is "weirder" than Mackenzie. Further, I don't think either of them is weird or tacky. Picking on someone's name has very little relative merit, IMNSHO.

Double post. Technology *shrugs* Who understands it?!

And we thought Jinger had it bad.

I would agree in a normal family but I doubt Mack will ever be able to really gage that her name is trendy and creatively spelled. It's not like she'll be in school with outsiders. Also if Josh and Anna get their way she'll also never submit a job application, which is where she'd really be at a disadvantage. Meredith sounds more professional in my opinion.

I remember on one of the few occasions that I watched Toddlers and Tiaras there was this little girl from Louisiana called Mackenzie and whenever someone asked her what her name was she would "Mackenzie it rhymes with Lindsay". And the way she pronounced it, they did rhyme.....

To me? :penguin-no:

My point is that for them, with their accent, Mackynzie and Mackenzie are pronounced the same. Although if Mackynzie ever ventured to the Pacific Northwest, her name would no longer be "Mackenzie".

I miss T&T something fierce. Here she is saying her name.

T&T's Makenzie had some of the best one-liners! Miss GG and I continue to quote her to this day. :lol: https://youtu.be/p3wXyyE4_m0?t=5m7s

Her name isn't weird. It just has a less common spelling. Plus, she's named after a family member, which I'm sure she's well aware of. Also, as someone with an actually weird name with siblings who have such common names that they had to go by *first name last initial* or their full name throughout all of their schooling lives, I can say that it's not really "complex inducing."

Furthermore, by the time sister moms are truly needed, her sister will be old enough to help. So, I'm not sure why that would be complex inducing either.

I would agree in a normal family but I doubt Mack will ever be able to really gage that her name is trendy and creatively spelled. It's not like she'll be in school with outsiders. Also if Josh and Anna get their way she'll also never submit a job application, which is where she'd really be at a disadvantage. Meredith sounds more professional in my opinion.

Even if Mack were to go to public school, with the prevalence of creative spelling and adding y to names, it probably wouldn't even seem abnormal.

I will remember that!! I come across it a lot and don't want to offend anyone.

I have an ethnic first name and an English second name. When people are copying down my name from my ID they OFTEN just write my second name. I have to say, no, X is my first name. And they are like huh? What kind of a name is that?? It is like my name is so weird to them that their brain can't register it.

So rude lol, but I am used to it. My name is not even that weird. I share it with quite a few other people

Then I usually get questions about why is my name that and not this. Really? Because my name is that.

My favorite story about it is when my Kindergarten teacher told me that my parents were terrible for naming me that. ??!!?? I have no idea why she thought that, but she probably could have ke[t her opinion to herself :-P

I think the Kin-zie instead Ken-zie is a manifestation of their accents. Josh's in particular.

Gee, I thought for sure they called her Kinzie in honor of Alfred Kinsey whose Kinsey Scale as been so helpful in determining the degree of a person's sexual orientation from completely straight to flaming homosexual. Am I wrong?

Gee, I thought for sure they called her Kinzie in honor of Alfred Kinsey whose Kinsey Scale as been so helpful in determining the degree of a person's sexual orientation from completely straight to flaming homosexual. Am I wrong?

Haha! You just made my day! I love the thought of them considering their placement on the Kinsey scale, healthy acceptance and all. Please don't pull me back to reality yet!

I have an ethnic first name and an English second name. When people are copying down my name from my ID they OFTEN just write my second name. I have to say, no, X is my first name. And they are like huh? What kind of a name is that?? It is like my name is so weird to them that their brain can't register it.

So rude lol, but I am used to it. My name is not even that weird. I share it with quite a few other people

Then I usually get questions about why is my name that and not this. Really? Because my name is that.

My favorite story about it is when my Kindergarten teacher told me that my parents were terrible for naming me that. ??!!?? I have no idea why she thought that, but she probably could have ke[t her opinion to herself :-P

Ugh my least favorite thing is when people read my name and go "oh that's weird. Why do you have that name?" Well, why do/did you have your given name? What kind of question is that?

Its even worse when they find out that my siblings have such ordinary names. It's like they can't process why I would be so "different."

I think the Kin-zie instead Ken-zie is a manifestation of their accents. Josh's in particular.

I read through these and I'm sitting here saying her name over and over in my head....are "i" & "e" s'posed to sound different? :-D

I'm in La and pin & pen are pronounced the same...we just clarify with "ink pen" or "stick pin". :lol: :lol:

I read through these and I'm sitting here saying her name over and over in my head....are "i" & "e" s'posed to sound different? :-D

I'm in La and pin & pen are pronounced the same...we just clarify with "ink pen" or "stick pin". :lol: :lol:

It's definitely a regional/Southern thing. Reminds me of this book I read a book a long time ago that took place in a high school- the way the city kids made fun of the poor country kids was to hold up a pen and make them say what it was. If it came out like "pin", you were a bumpkin and uncool.

I'm from South Florida- to me, pen and pin are very distinguishable from each other. Likewise, Mackynzie and Mackenzie aren't the same name to me.

As an alternately spelled (yet common since at one point I was in a school/grade with 4 of us - and 3 different spellings) I feel for Mack as she gets older. The spelling your name for everyone only to have most folks get it wrong gets really old.

And I was born before trendee spelling became common. I am victim of one parent thinking that is the way it was spelled and the other thinking oh that's easier to spell.

I'm from Mid-Mo and I have seen this pin/pen and Ben/Bin debate going on for a while. I've said both sets of words several times and I just don't hear the difference! Accents are funny things!

It's definitely a regional/Southern thing. Reminds me of this book I read a book a long time ago that took place in a high school- the way the city kids made fun of the poor country kids was to hold up a pen and make them say what it was. If it came out like "pin", you were a bumpkin and uncool.

I'm from South Florida- to me, pen and pin are very distinguishable from each other. Likewise, Mackynzie and Mackenzie aren't the same name to me.

I know what series you're talking about!

Raised in Ohio and lived in Oregon for near a decade. Pen/pin and Ben/Bin were definitely pronounced the same way by a lot of people in Ohio, but distinguishable by others. In Oregon, I suppose it leans more toward being distinguishable in my circles. I never really considered it odd, just a pronunciation variation. I think I say the two differently, but notice that I resort to the other if I'm feeling drawly.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived