IGNORED

Airline passenger asked to move for religious accomodation

Boogalou

An Orthodox friend shared this photo on Facebook. It's from an Amazing Savings in New Jersey. I think I'm going to be sick.

11855754_393762617487419_3852876411245737053_n.jpg?oh=4ce9b0da1ce3a9b497119b185a9b7464&oe=5649F2FF

And of course you can't illustrate this concept with a picture of dignified girls or women in floor length skirts. Even that would be too sexy. For people who are misogynistically religious in this particular way, a cartoon ruler is the closest you can get.

It's like the Orthodox newspapers which cut female politicians out of photographs:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/14/world/isr ... o-altered/

(not broken bc CNN)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what confuses me about Mayim Bialik. She calls herself a feminist but also drones on about modesty and orthodoxy. It's confusing.

This is what confuses me about Mayim Bialik. She calls herself a feminist but also drones on about modesty and orthodoxy. It's confusing.

Do you read her blog? It's on kveller.com

She's blogged a lot about her beliefs and practices and evolving religious journey. IIRC, she's been studying with a Modern Orthodox Jew (Allison Joseph aka Jew in the City), but she's been reluctant to definitely stick that label on herself.

Here's an example of a recent blog post from her, where she mentions some of the tension between feminism and Orthodoxy (and welcomes the new Orthodox female clergy): www.kveller.com/mayim-bialik-welcoming- ... rgy-member

My sense from her posts is that her particular stance on modesty is (a) a standard that she's adopted for herself while not necessarily thinking that everyone else needs to adopt the exact same standard, and (b) for her, part of a feminist reaction to Hollywood. I haven't seen anything from her that talks about the "help men avoid the sin of getting horny" aspect. She was a feminist before embracing traditional Judaism, and as a child star that already set her apart. She's mentioned how her co-star Joey Lawrence would tease her for not shaving her legs. www.kveller.com/ive-never-shaved-my-legs-so-what/ She's also mentioned that Hollywood beauty standards can be insane, that every woman is expected to be tiny, that she'd grown up hearing a lot of comments about her looks that weren't particularly nice, etc. So.....I can understand how a non-shaving feminist living in a place where stars in bikinis are regularly on the front pages of gossip mags that highlight every flaw might decide that covered knees and elbows in the way to go.

And of course you can't illustrate this concept with a picture of dignified girls or women in floor length skirts. Even that would be too sexy. For people who are misogynistically religious in this particular way, a cartoon ruler is the closest you can get.

It's like the Orthodox newspapers which cut female politicians out of photographs:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/14/world/isr ... o-altered/

(not broken bc CNN)

All I did was laugh. And I can't imagine a lot of women wouldn't have the same reaction.

I recommend checking out an organization called Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance. Their mission is to expand opportunities for women to participate in Orthodox Jewish religious and community life within the boundaries of Jewish law. They also raise awareness of gender bias and other issues in Orthodox Judaism.

Archived