IGNORED

Meredith Hammer

@acheronbeach You forgot Hillary.

I think they're simply some 30-40 tears too late. Nowadays most people want people in high positions who worked hard for it and appear to know what they are doing. Not a guy who claims he knows what he's doing with a silent wife as an attachment.

Mitt Romney's wife had to defend herself quite a bit for being a housewife.

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, EmiGirl said:

I just don't know how Meredith would fit in with the spouses of people who Steve will have to associate with. Of course I wonder if they're already experiencing that now. And what does she do when encountering those who aren't her brand of Christian or worse, an atheist? 

Here's what I especially wonder - how she'd cope with the spouses of female politicians, leaders and public figures?  Actually, I wonder what Stephen's endgame is, too, for example if he has ambitions on the White House?

16 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Here's what I especially wonder - how she'd cope with the spouses of female politicians, leaders and public figures?  Actually, I wonder what Stephen's endgame is, too, for example if he has ambitions on the White House?

I think his ambitions are as high as we could think. White House? Probably. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Lurky said:

The other politician's wives will be discussing their PhDs and careers and Meredith will discuss... smocking dresses and praying for a husband?

• Upvote 9

17 hours ago, season of life said:

I think he may find Meredith endearing, but in the end, she is a trophy wife to make himself more likeable. Pretty wholesome-looking wife, cute little kids, they are just ways to attract people when he springboards his dumb political career. He's a damn creep. I doubt he even helps her with the kids.

Meredith doesn't come off as a good political spouse. Maybe to conservatives, but look at all the educated, Ivy League alumni that are the former First Ladies. Meredith comes off as a wilted flower in comparison to Michelle Obama and Laura Bush.

Yes! All of the First Ladies and political trophy eives are extremely educated. Look at the elite republican wives for instance: Ted Cruz's wife is an MD at Goldman Sachs, Paul Ryan's wife who was a lawyer and didn't even marry him until after her 30th birthday, Mitch McConnell's wife went to Harvard and worked for Bush, Arkansas Senator and Harvard alum Tom Cotton( who Josh Duggar fawns over) has a wife who was an attorney, Mike Pence's wife won hundreds of teaching awards, heck even Mitt Romney's wife went to college at BYU. I can go on and on. Meredith probably feels awkward and is compensating by dressing herself and the kids up in pearls, and the preppy Jack Rogers and Lilly Pulitzer brands. I bet everyone asks Meredith how she met creepy Stephen Hammer. Once they dig deeper into the story they will find out what a complete scary nutcase the guy is. Also, Stephen Hammer and Meredith appear to have deep ties to Vision Forum and I recall seeing  both of the Botkin sisters being their FB friends. Talk about chills running down your spine!

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 8

On 11/5/2016 at 10:18 AM, Carm_88 said:

I think his ambitions are as high as we could think. White House? Probably. 

How do we even know he wants to go into politics? Did he ever say so?

5 hours ago, Hisey said:

I think it's because he appears to have high standards for himself and is checking off the elements of a classical politician: highly educated, religious, veteran, professional-looking. He seems very ambitious and I'll be surprised if he settles for anything non-political.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Hisey said:

Meredith published this account of their courtship in Shining Stars Magazine. The bolded portion suggests political ambition to me, given Jonathan Edwards' biography:

I am so blessed to be marrying a man with a desire for us to carry out our biblical roles in our future home. He encourages me and is proud that I want to be a homemaker and helper to him and a dedicated mother to our children. I could not possibly be any more proud to be the girl at his side. I can’t wait to be his wife! Stephen prays the sweetest prayers over us and will be such a wonderful spiritual leader for our future family. We both pray that the Lord will use us mightily as a couple; that we may be a Jonathan and Sarah Edwards of our generation. I pray nearly daily that the Lord will mold me into an excellent wife for such a godly man.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Meredith published this account of their courtship in Shining Stars Magazine. The bolded portion suggests political ambition to me, given Jonathan Edwards' biography:

From the same account:

I’ve always enjoyed helping my family with our real estate ventures, so during my senior year of high school, I completed the courses necessary to acquire my real estate brokers’ license and I am currently the listing agent on several properties. Through money I saved since I was 15 from working for my family’s lot cutting business, I purchased, at 19, my first investment property through a foreclosure sale and sold it a year later. Last summer I used the profit from that investment to buy another property and I am in the process of preparing to sell it as well. I have no desire to work full-time as a real estate broker, but I do see real estate as a way I can be like the woman in Proverbs 31, who “considers a field and buys it” (Proverbs 31:16). I hope to continue to buy and sell properties when I am married, but I plan to be very careful as to not allow my real estate pursuits to undermine my husband’s financial leadership or threaten to cause me to shift my focus from my primary life’s work as a help-meet to my husband.

Seriously, how many voters can this appeal to?

I archived the site, in case it gets removed.

http://archive.is/gPjNx

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Clementine said:

Seriously, how many voters can this appeal to?

At the time she wrote it, the whole fucking Evangelical Christian Right and most Tea Party folk wouldn't be put off by it either.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Stephen Hammer takes an interim job at the Family Research Council and does a lot better there than Josh Duggar.

• Upvote 6

OK, but there are a lot of high-paying, high profile jobs a highly educated, professional looking veteran can get. Doesn't necessarily mean politics. Assuming he "wants the White House" is a bit of a stretch.

Honestly, I don't like Steven particularly, and it is odd (and perhaps alarming) that he chose a woman with barely a high school education. However, degrees are not everything and perhaps he saw (as we do) that Meredith is smart, creative and hard-working. It's also a little weird that Meredith and her family, who criticized college so throughly pre-Steven, were practically drooling over her chance to marry an Ivy League grad. 

Beyond that, however, I can't see anything wrong or weird about serving in the military or going to Harvard Law. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hisey said:

OK, but there are a lot of high-paying, high profile jobs a highly educated, professional looking veteran can get. Doesn't necessarily mean politics. Assuming he "wants the White House" is a bit of a stretch.

Perhaps, but consider his comments in this article, especially the bolded, from his Princeton days:

His military service will be in the infantry, which Hammer selected because "it's the backbone of the Army, where the fighting gets done. I felt like that's where I can make the most difference." He will most likely start off as a platoon leader. Joining the Army while the United States is fighting two wars appealed to Hammer because "this is the time when the country needs us most of all," he said...Before undertaking his military service, Hammer will spend two years at the University of Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship, earning a master's degree in theology. His study of the early Christian church will leave him better prepared for a leadership role in the Army by offering a historical and theological understanding of the intersection of faith and public service, he said. 

There's a bunch more in there from the horse's mouth but I think a case can be made for major ambition even if the words "White House" aren't mentioned.

18 minutes ago, Hisey said:

It's also a little weird that Meredith and her family, who criticized college so throughly pre-Steven, were practically drooling over her chance to marry an Ivy League grad. 

This isn't weird at all. As long as Stephen could tick off the religion boxes, he was the equivalent of a fundie jackpot, as others here have said, and even the Alexanders could see that.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Honestly, I don't like Steven particularly, and it is odd (and perhaps alarming) that he chose a woman with barely a high school education. However, degrees are not everything and perhaps he saw (as we do) that Meredith is smart, creative and hard-working. It's also a little weird that Meredith and her family, who criticized college so throughly pre-Steven, were practically drooling over her chance to marry an Ivy League grad. 

Beyond that, however, I can't see anything wrong or weird about serving in the military or going to Harvard Law. 

There's nothing weird about wanting to serve in the military or go to Harvard. However, when a fundie or someone who has turned fundie does this, I think the hair on the back of my neck begins to stand up a little. I think that Steven is highly ambitious and we won't know exactly what his plans are until he finished but I do think he is aiming high. Why shouldn't he? He will have the resume that voters would drool over, especially the conservative types, and the perfect family. What a pretty picture. 

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, Hisey said:

It's also a little weird that Meredith and her family, who criticized college so throughly pre-Steven, were practically drooling over her chance to marry an Ivy League grad. 

Oh, they say they hate godless, liberal academia, but they all do this-- when they can, that is. Doug Phillips never tires of reminding us that Daddy was a "thought leader" at HARVARD (and that he and Beall met at William & Mary before he went on to earn his law degree at George Mason). And did Voddie Baucham just happen to mention-- a few million times-- that he studied at OXFORD? 

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

There's nothing weird about wanting to serve in the military or go to Harvard. However, when a fundie or someone who has turned fundie does this, I think the hair on the back of my neck begins to stand up a little. I think that Steven is highly ambitious and we won't know exactly what his plans are until he finished but I do think he is aiming high. Why shouldn't he? He will have the resume that voters would drool over, especially the conservative types, and the perfect family. What a pretty picture. 

Again, I don't see it. I see he has an impressive resume, but I don't see any *evidence* that he plans to enter politics.

He certainly might decide to do so, but I don't see any signs of it yet. There are plenty of other paths he could take at this point. The fact that he has a pretty wife doesn't mean he wants to go into politics, either.It just means he has a pretty wife. (The argument could be made that Meredith's lack of education, along with their weird online courtship story, could even hinder a politiical career). He could be aiming for partner in a large law firm, or appointment to a federal judgeship, or academia or he could plan to become a consultant or a corporate lawyer. Lots of things will earn him money and recognition besides politics.

Edited by Hisey
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hisey said:

Again, I don't see it. I see he has an impressive resume, but I don't see any *evidence* that he plans to enter politics.

He certainly might decide to do so, but I don't see any signs of it yet. There are plenty of other paths he could take at this point. The fact that he has a pretty wife doesn't mean he wants to go into politics, either.It just means he has a pretty wife. (The argument could be made that Meredith's lack of education, along with their weird online courtship story, could even hinder a politiical career). He could be aiming for partner in a large law firm, or appointment to a federal judgeship, or academia or he could plan to become a consultant or a corporate lawyer. Lots of things will earn him money and recognition besides politics.

No there's nothing specifically that says it, I just don't think that Steven Hammer would want anything but the best. I think he has ambitions of the highest order but I could be completely wrong. That's just the way I see him going though, what I see him setting himself up for. Nothing says that he will get there. I just think that it's what he wants. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/5/2016 at 9:39 AM, acheronbeach said:

Compare this to Meredith.  There's no comparison.  Even for the GOP, political wives are expected to be polished examples of the American dream.  

You mean, like Melania Trump? (No degree there either, but oh, what a portfolio!)

• Upvote 6

Stephen Hammer is an overachiever and thinks very well of himself.  He mentioned aiming for a federal judgeship when he graduated from Princeton.  He also mentioned rising within the armed forces and/or a possible political career in the same article.   Sort of hedging all bets.  I'll see if I can dig the article up again.   

If you have 30 minutes and want to hear Stephen in action - here's his little sermon from 2012.   http://firstpresby.net/sermons/121111_Stephen_Hammer.mp3

He talks about Meredith around the 12 minute mark.  At around 22 minutes he discusses leaving the army.  He's all about duty and the Lord's calling.  I've always found him insufferably conceited.

I'm still looking for the article I mentioned above about his political ambitions, but here's another one about Mr. Perfection.

https://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S24/30/24S02/index.xml

Edited by Palimpsest
Added article
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

You mean, like Melania Trump? (No degree there either, but oh, what a portfolio!)

She made up one until she got caught.  I think that's telling. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...

Guess which member of Harvard Law's class of '18 just got elected president of the Law Review?

Not Stephen Hammer!

Instead, the law review got its first black female president ever. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/us/after-130-years-harvard-law-review-elects-a-black-woman-president.html?_r=0

Wonder how ol' Stevie feels about a woman getting Harvard Law's highest student office. Like any other ambitious student, I bet he wanted it for himself. I bet he's never been in an environment where it's so hard to stand out. And what's worse, a girl got the job that should be his! A girl!

Ol' Stevie was a member of a Harvard group that complained students requesting more diversity were impinging on academic freedom. I haven't read through all the arguments and counterarguments in this link yet.

https://responsiblespeechhls.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/remove-demands-infringe-academic-freedom/

There's a biography of Stephen on Harvard Law's Federalist Society web site. It says he spent the summer after his first year at a law firm in DC. Wonder if the whole family went. The Federalist Society is allegedly composed of "conservatives, moderates, and libertarians."

https://orgs.law.harvard.edu/fedsoc/about/officers/

• 3 years later...