IGNORED

Meredith Hammer

Someone here back in the Yuku days said she'd met him back in high school? college? and said he seemed smart and likeable, but there was a little smarmy about him.  He was raised a UU, and I'm taken aback at the Dominionist path he's paved for himself.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Hane said:

Someone here back in the Yuku days said she'd met him back in high school? college? and said he seemed smart and likeable, but there was a little smarmy about him.  He was raised a UU, and I'm taken aback at the Dominionist path he's paved for himself.

Yeah, it's... odd. How often does a UU kid turn fundie? You have to wonder what his parents think of it. 

• Upvote 6

44 minutes ago, Hane said:

From 2011, hereʻs a post from someone who knew Stephen Hammer, way back when:

No, Steve was not a virgin when he got married. This is absolute fact. He even lived with a girlfriend for a summer while they were both doing internships in DC.

One time he made fun of a girl for believing in Saints while in chemistry class and made her cry. He later apologized and I don't think he actually had any ill will, but that's just the kind of guy he was. Always one with a quick, pointed, and most likely judgmental comment

He did drink a few times I believe, but not often at all. One time he said his blood was "too pure" for alcohol. I really don't know if this was a joke or not. Definitely an elitist.

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

He did drink a few times I believe, but not often at all. One time he said his blood was "too pure" for alcohol. I really don't know if this was a joke or not. Definitely an elitist.

You know, 20 or 30 years ago an "elitist" would have just remained a UU, or, if any change was made at all, perhaps attended an Episcopal church instead. But it shows you how the power base has shifted in the Republican party. Everyday American conservatives do not trust anything that has the faintest whiff of WASPiness or "East Coast liberalism." Maybe Stephen, in a strange way, feels a need to counter his Harvard education. It seems calculated to me. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

You know, 20 or 30 years ago an "elitist" would have just remained a UU, or, if any change was made at all, perhaps attended an Episcopal church instead. But it shows you how the power base has shifted in the Republican party. Everyday American conservatives do not trust anything that has the faintest whiff of WASPiness or "East Coast liberalism." Maybe Stephen, in a strange way, feels a need to counter his Harvard education. It seems calculated to me. 

Yes, and above all it is strange to go from UU to über-fundiness. If he had gone from UU to a normal church... but to turn around and basically pick a girl whose family are like the American version of wahabis is beyond me.

Luckily FJ never forgets and when he'll go into politics, the whole thing is well documented here.

• Upvote 8

17 minutes ago, Clementine said:

Luckily FJ never forgets and when he'll go into politics, the whole thing is well documented here.

Yes -- this is why I always try to link to the earlier discussions & source material on these people when new threads pop up. 

You can scrub your blogs or websites and you can force your new wife to quit blogging publicly, but you canʻt erase the collective memory or archives of FJ!

• Upvote 12

Just now, hoipolloi said:

Yes -- this is why I always try to link to the earlier discussions & source material on these people when new threads pop up. 

You can scrub your blogs or websites and you can force your new wife to quit blogging publicly, but you canʻt erase the collective memory or archives of FJ!

It's a shame that nobody archived her old blog, it was a goldmine. :)

• Upvote 5

By my calculations Stephen should have a couple more years before graduating Harvard Law.  It's a three year program.  I also think he intended to go into politics and a lot of his choices were geared to that.  He also wanted to be a judge at some point though.  My guess is that they will move back closer to her family at some point.  

Stephen has always given me the major creeps.  I have a soft spot for Meredith, however, and I can't see home schooled and no college Meredith fitting in well with the other Law School grad students wives in Cambridge.  It's a pretty cut-throat culture for trailing spouses.  I hope they have found a church where she can socialize.  Apart from all her other domestic skills Meredith is a talented seamstress, but I also haven't seen many mothers and daughters waltzing around Harvard Square wearing matching frocks.  Oh well.

Being a SAHM with 4 children under 5 is very predictable given her background and beliefs.  

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

No, Steve was not a virgin when he got married. This is absolute fact. He even lived with a girlfriend for a summer while they were both doing internships in DC.

One time he made fun of a girl for believing in Saints while in chemistry class and made her cry. He later apologized and I don't think he actually had any ill will, but that's just the kind of guy he was. Always one with a quick, pointed, and most likely judgmental comment

He sounds like a real life Draco Malfoy.

• Upvote 14

I wonder where his career will take him. I have a feeling if it takes him too far his online-wife-stalking might be a problem. Thankfully the internet is forever...

• Upvote 4

He reminds me of those smarmy republican politicans that end up leading a whole different life full of scandals. He also sounds like a type A control freak that wanted a wife who would do whatever he says. He will probably become a politician and pastor on the side.  He is calculating to the point that it comes off as creepy. Of course I could be totally wrong but everything about him sounds like a red flag.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 8

Meredith seems like she's trying hard to fit in with the New England preppy culture. Yes, I did take a peek at her FB and she is all clad in pearls, Jack Rogers, and matching Lilly Pulitzer for her and the kids. It's usually those brands that people who try to dress "preppy" go for. 

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Meredith seems like she's trying hard to fit in with the New England preppy culture. Yes, I did take a peek at her FB and she is all clad in pearls, Jack Rogers, and matching Lilly Pulitzer for her and the kids. It's usually those brands that people who try to dress "preppy" go for. 

The matching "Lilly" is actually Old Navy. I had the same dresses for my daughter and me this Spring ;) But yes, she's really trying to fit in from her previous fashion "sense."

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, faraway said:

Agreed, he wanted a wife who's easy to control. I have a feeling we will hear about him in the future and not in a good way.

I think so too. He will probably launch a political at some local or state level, but will fuck up later on.

• Upvote 8

I think he may find Meredith endearing, but in the end, she is a trophy wife to make himself more likeable. Pretty wholesome-looking wife, cute little kids, they are just ways to attract people when he springboards his dumb political career. He's a damn creep. I doubt he even helps her with the kids.

Meredith doesn't come off as a good political spouse. Maybe to conservatives, but look at all the educated, Ivy League alumni that are the former First Ladies. Meredith comes off as a wilted flower in comparison to Michelle Obama and Laura Bush.

• Upvote 8

From her FB page:

I'm so proud of Stephen for being featured in Harvard Law Today as one of the veterans at the law school! Unfortunately, they dropped my very favorite paragraph after the final edit:

"After enlisting with Army ROTC at Princeton, Hammer made a second life-changing decision: to devote himself to Jesus Christ. 'I started thinking a lot more about the condition of my soul and what it would mean to die,' says Hammer, who was baptized at a local Presbyterian church. 'It led me to ...realize I couldn’t pay the price for my own sins, that only Jesus could do that, and I became a Christian.'"

Even so, I admire his desire to glorify God in his interview, and am pleased that they did leave in his quotes on trusting the Lord during deployments!

http://today.law.harvard.edu/growing-from-all-branches-a-l…/

I think Meredith thinks the most important thing Stephen's ever done is finding Jesus.  Forget all that Ivy League book learnin' and fighting for Murica.  He found Jesus.

• Upvote 10

What I always wonder is which other Fundy maidens he had on his short-list, before he chose Meredith?  It seems super-unlikely his stalking was contained to one - I imagine him comparing blogs, listing pros and cons, and such...

• Upvote 8

On 11/3/2016 at 11:51 AM, Bethella said:

She's been listed in the Upcoming Babies thread for awhile. She's having a girl named  Eleanor.

Great, now my daughter shares a name with a fundie. :my_angry:

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, season of life said:

Meredith comes off as a wilted flower in comparison to Michelle Obama and Laura Bush.

Eh, Laura Bush comes over as wilted flower in comparison to Michelle Obama. ;)

If Stephen really has a political career in mind, and I think he does, it would be really good if he encouraged Meredith to get some higher education.  

She's certainly not stupid.  She's living in an area that is rife with colleges and universities.  Harvard Extension School has very flexible admission and lets you earn your way into a degree program if you earn Bs in three courses.  She could be studying online too.  

Of course, to be fair, we don't know that she isn't studying for something in whatever time she has left between having multiple babies and caring for them all.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 7

At least Laura Bush has a master's degree.  Does Meredith even have a GED?  Might be something she can work on, if being First Lady of {fill in the blank} is in the future.

• Upvote 4

I just don't know how Meredith would fit in with the spouses of people who Steve will have to associate with. Of course I wonder if they're already experiencing that now. And what does she do when encountering those who aren't her brand of Christian or worse, an atheist? 

• Upvote 4

Until Michelle Obama, Laura Bush was the most educated first lady in history.  She's educated, had a career before marrying W., and married him when she was in her thirties and perceived as the town spinster.   She apparently likes reading,  smoking,  and margaritas.  She told W. she didnt want to do speeches for him.  She's her own person.

Compare this to Meredith.  There's no comparison.  Even for the GOP, political wives are expected to be polished examples of the American dream.  

Edited by acheronbeach
Not clear orivinally
  • Upvote 10

3 hours ago, Lurky said:

What I always wonder is which other Fundy maidens he had on his short-list, before he chose Meredith?  It seems super-unlikely his stalking was contained to one - I imagine him comparing blogs, listing pros and cons, and such...

:my_huh: I haven't even thought about it, but it does make sense. Meredith's blog wasn't even that big, she was just one of many SAHD bloggers at the time.

• Upvote 2