IGNORED

Duggars are begging for $$$ on their Youtube Channel

luv2laugh

I don't know how reliable this site is "Parent Herald" however they state that they might have made $25M per yr due to their show, now it is all gone "puff". Let's look at the numbers after taxes they probably had $12+ 21 members of the core family plus Anna 3 kids, then 2 SIL that is a total of 27 people that would mean if they all received equal shares each person would receive about $450K. To me that is a lot of money for doing nothing. JimBob :music-tool: on paper you were a good PIMP, what did you blow the money on? We know it was not on an education for your children. No tears shaded for you and your family from this person.

http://www.parentherald.com/articles/82 ... ily-25.htm

Other articles, such as from E! Online, put the Duggar earnings much much lower-- $100,000 per episode or less. The Duggars didn't do 25 episodes a year, so there is no way they were earning $25 million a year.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the article:

"With the show, royalties, sponsorships and speaking engagements ending, the Duggars could be losing $25 million or more a year," says branding expert and Strategic Vision CEO David Johnson as per Life & Style. Johnson added that the Duggars may still have occasional appearances, but their rate would never be the same and probably will be reduced. Moreover, Josh remains controversial and at the moment, no one's going to give him any projects.

Read more: http://www.parentherald.com/articles/82 ... z3hCxqkO6R

Beyond the obvious fact that this is completely shameless and disgusting lies the big question of why they are doing this. The Duggars still have enough leghumpers out there to support them. Making the YouTube videos will bring in an income so long as they get enough viewers.

The Duggars SHOULD have enough seed money in order to produce the initial amount of videos needed to build up their views. And that still shouldn't require much beyond an iphone and a computer.

Why don't they understand that the money is there without setting out a begging bowl?

Maybe they don't have a lot of money. They stopped being frugal for anything other than the show YEARS ago, they've invested too much money in a plane for JD to not use commercially, they travel WAY too much, they probably spent an absolute shit ton of money on legal and PR fees since the whole Josh scandal, they have a HUGE house with not even a single source of generating their own power or collecting their own water, they spend ridiculous amounts of money on gas because everything they own is a gas guzzler (or worse, runs on large amounts of diesel), only 2 or 3 of their kids has a job, etc.

They were getting by when the gravy train was still chugging along, but now they're unable to support themselves.

UGH UGH UGH!!! Being a YouTuber can be a valid job, if done correctly. It takes a lot of time and hard work to do it right. But the recent videos show none of that. They look like cell phone videos with no editing done.

The Duggars and grifting/handouts is nothing new. Pre-TLC, they were taking handouts from the church they used to attend. The "Alice" commenter also said in her famous post, that Mary and Josh were calling up companies for donations.

http://www.ibiblio.org/bascha/blog/2006 ... ay-on-tlc/

Discovery Health Channel and the TLC channel wrote them a check for over $200,000. for the to build the house. Everything inside the house was given to them except the kitchen. They did buy that themselves. The rest is all free. Mary and Josh was on the phone day and night asking for donations from soup to Computers. They also received a Baby Grand Piano from Campbell Soup Co. The trip to California was also provided by the TV Stations. It was mapped out. Mile for Mile. They did not spend a penny of their money. All the groceries and gas and lodging and clothing was paid for in advance. For someone who wants to be famous, why lie about the facts. Seems funny to me. They are professional liers, both of them.

In the early seasons of the show 2008-2010, there were some leghumpers that sent clothing donations and other things to the Duggars. I think when the show first started, they weren't making much money in addition to Boob's other sources of income. There were some dumbass leghumpers that actually believed that the Duggars weren't being paid for the show. Then a year or two ago, I saw a leghumper on the 19kac FB page, claim that the Duggars were donating all of their TLC salary to charity. I've seen leghumpers claim similar things on other sites. I do think the Duggars were donating some money to fundie organizations. But there is no way Boob and Mullet would have donated all their TLC salary.

There is no doubt that the Duggars are now millionaires. There will probably be some changes now that the show is gone. TLC gave them other perks as others have mentioned. With less money and no additional perks, Boob isn't going to be paying for skiing trips, international trips, and other things. He still has many mouths to feed. Also other forms of income like speaking engagements will dry up. Pre-Joshgate, it appeared that Mrs. Seewald and Mrs. Dilliard were trying to establish themselves as speakers and they did keep their spots at the Alive festival after Joshgate. I don't see those girls along with the rest of the family getting speaking gigs in the future, unless it's for Huckabee or some of their wealthy supporters. The changes for additional Duggar books are very slim.

As for Duggar studios, Boob is going to back more to this very cheapskate ways. But Boob could do "buy used, save the difference" for Duggars studio equipment, he just won't do that though. Josiah is like 18 or 19 and can get a job. Jedidah and Jeremiah are 16 and work part time. They could be working whatever jobs they can get and pool money together. But they chose to ask for donations, while Boob and Mullet support that.

Maybe they don't have a lot of money. They stopped being frugal for anything other than the show YEARS ago, they've invested too much money in a plane for JD to not use commercially, they travel WAY too much, they probably spent an absolute shit ton of money on legal and PR fees since the whole Josh scandal, they have a HUGE house with not even a single source of generating their own power or collecting their own water, they spend ridiculous amounts of money on gas because everything they own is a gas guzzler (or worse, runs on large amounts of diesel), only 2 or 3 of their kids has a job, etc.

They were getting by when the gravy train was still chugging along, but now they're unable to support themselves.

I think their past spending could be starting to hurt them now. TLC paid for a lot of their domestic and international trips for the show. I do remember in 2011, they did a lot of road trips that weren't for the show. Then in 2012, they followed Rick Santorum on the campaign trail for awhile. I remember it was most of the family in the bus and I'm sure that probably cost a pretty penny. Josh and Anna back then likely spent a lot of money traveling around for RS. It looks a bit crappy that later Josh and Anna didn't pay like 14k worth of taxes, when they previously spent a lot of money traveling. They also used travel quite a bit to see Anna's family.

As for Boob and Mullet, there is the money for the plane, which you mentioned They could have been spending a lot of money on other things that we don't know about. Then there are the houses for the married Duggar girls and their men. They might gotten a bit spend happy when TLC was the in picture.

Let's hope they don't catch wind of this new way to finance projects. It's called Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/ I listen to a lot of podcasts and they are few costs to pod casters but the host has to pay for a service to host their show. So, people turn to this site for help. They ask their fans to donate a certain amount for each podcast produced each month. The 3 podcasts I listen to earn them from $150-$250 and $1500 a month!

Even negative publicity will probably get more viewers to the Duggar Studios site, and leghumpers may also donate. Doing this takes real gall though.

Based on what I've seen over the last ten years, I believe these guys should be spending their money and time on good educational software and study. If the older ones don't have "real" jobs, at least part-time, they should get them. Maybe they can then go to a work/study fundie college (vs. trying to ask Daddy for money) and eventually become independent.

I hope Jim Bob isn't asking them for rent.

UGH UGH UGH!!! Being a YouTuber can be a valid job, if done correctly. It takes a lot of time and hard work to do it right. But the recent videos show none of that. They look like cell phone videos with no editing done.

Yup, that has happend for some people. High paying examples are Jenna Marbles and Bethany Motta. To a lesser extent, there is Jefferson Bethke, the guy known for "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus" video. Jefferson has gained a large youbtube following. He does speaking gigs, runs a blog, and occasionally does podcasts with his wife. Jeff has written two books, one has been published and the second one will be released later this year. He and his wife are also contracted to write a book together. Also, there is that Mormon family, the Shaytards(the Butlers) that has popular youtube channels and that family makes a lot of money from youtube. They also own side businesses.

Yup, that has happend for some people. High paying examples are Jenna Marbles and Bethany Motta. To a lesser extent, there is Jefferson Bethke, the guy known for "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus" video. Jefferson has gained a large youbtube following. He does speaking gigs, runs a blog, and occasionally does podcasts with his wife. Jeff has written two books, one has been published and the second one will be released later this year. He and his wife are also contracted to write a book together. Also, there is that Mormon family, the Shaytards(the Butlers) that has popular youtube channels and that family makes a lot of money from youtube. They also own side businesses.

Can somebody please teach the Duggars about Jenna Marbles and Shane Dawson?

There are many YouTubers who make a good living off the platform. However, those people:

- Know their audience and are interesting (to their audience)

- Are self-aware, know their "brand" and try not to veer from that

- Have fewer than 19 children to feed

It's almost as if the Duggars didn't prepare for life without a TV show. Did they really think it was going to last forever? Hope Tontitown has a lot of cars that need towing. Way to fail at parenting. Again.

Let's hope they don't catch wind of this new way to finance projects. It's called Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/ I listen to a lot of podcasts and they are few costs to pod casters but the host has to pay for a service to host their show. So, people turn to this site for help. They ask their fans to donate a certain amount for each podcast produced each month. The 3 podcasts I listen to earn them from $150-$250 and $1500 a month!

I like the acapella group Home Free and singer Peter Hollens - both use patreon - but the Patreon sponsors fund the next new song/video that is put up. And often get a side benefit of getting the first views before it goes public.

That is vastly different than holding out your hat in advance to folks who might 'feel sorry' for you because your big fat TLC show that funded your continued breeding got cancelled.

Who has a job?

It's the shear numbers game and the no BC policy, which just grows the numbers that will ultimately do them in. The shear numbers is why JB sold the family to TLC in the first place.

Without education, skills obtainment, resources and some self initiative, the next generation is going to live in poverty.

The only thing I would donate anything to would be if any of them broke off from their family completely. Like hard core escaping polygamy breaking out!

I really doubt they made $25 million a year. That would be $1 million/episode. We also don't know how the money was divided, if at all. The kids under 18 definitely could have gotten shafted, the kidults may have as well. Look at their culture, Dad is the head of the family. Which means he makes the economic decisions as well. Only Josh had the chance to have an independent pay check for a significant amount of time. Jill got money from TLC and People and is now using it to afford a year off grifting for Jesus in Central America. Bessa would have had a season of pay checks plus any money they make from their speaking tour. I wonder how much they get paid for that? If the kids are lucky JB put some into a trust account for them when they got married, but if he did I bet the girls only get it if they are married, possibly the boys as well. Then again, that's if he did it at all. :(

$25 million seems like a big number, but they were getting paid from many sources. People was having Duggar cover stories every time one of them sneezed. People pays for those exclusive photo spreads. They were also getting paid by sponsors. There were specific product placements (toys, household products, etc.) Every time they traveled for the show, that was $$$. Speaking engagements = $$$. They can kiss all that goodbye now.

ITA. Although I think the Duggars have maybe a few million, I don't believe they have enough to sustain their lifestyle and that of their children/grandchildren. They didn't have Bill Gates or Oprah money. To just feed a family of that size every month has to be in the thousands. This doesn't take into account utilities and property taxes for the various properties. Income from rentals isn't going to be enough to sustain them and I don't even know if they still get money from having the cell tower on their property.

I doubt they were still buying everything used and saving the difference. The plane will soon be gone. Remember when Jim Bob bought the nee used bus for somehing like 250k on a previous episode? That isn't happening again. Also, no way were the Duggars pulling down $25 million a year when most actors with real hit network television shows and real endorsements don't make that much. TLC only paid the Gosslins around $25k an episode and they had ratings of 10 million their last season. The Duggars only got around 4 million viewers for a wedding episode and the regular episodes were were 2million. So no way were they pulling in much more money. The actors on THe Big Bang Theory, which has about 25 million viewers a week, don't make $25 million. Maybe the Duggars made $2 million tops when you include all the hustling and selling of pictures to magazines. Cable is notorious for lower pay becuase they do not get the ratings of network television to justify the cost to sponsors.

The Duggars were never a real hot commodity outside the fundy world and those that aligned with them didn't have the big bucks to throw out. I am amazed that Jim Bob never invested in anything with a chance of making lots of money over the long term. The car lot and towing business were never going to be hugely successful.

ETA things like product placement has nothing to do with the Duggars. The show gets the money, it isn't them getting a paid endorsement deal. Notice there have never been ads with them outside of on the show. It's like on every scripted show the camera takes long lingering shots of the car driven by the actor or they have a ridiculous conversation about the car as the solve a case.

I keep forgetting about the People $preads and the product placement$. Those do add up over time. In the last few years, they were living pretty high, and only playing frugal. Their paper plate and plastic cutlery budget alone would be $$.

They were not making 25 mill. 5 mill, tops.

If they were making $25 million a year, perhaps it got consumed by their lawyers/publicists. Or JB and J'Chelle blew it on stupid shit.

But I doubt they make $25 million a year. If they did, in Arkansas, they'd be living a hell of a lot better...then again...

I'm honestly shocked they don't have a GoFundMe yet ... Bet they're passing the hat at church for 'love offerings'.

There are many YouTubers who make a good living off the platform. However, those people:

- Know their audience and are interesting (to their audience)

- Are self-aware, know their "brand" and try not to veer from that

- Have fewer than 19 children to feed

It's almost as if the Duggars didn't prepare for life without a TV show. Did they really think it was going to last forever? Hope Tontitown has a lot of cars that need towing. Way to fail at parenting. Again.

Hard to tell. The Duggars had to have known that other TLC shows ended, but Kate Gosselin and the Roloffs later returned back to TLC. Prior to the Duggar girl courtships and marriages, there was interest in the Duggars, it wasn't huge and IIRC, the ratings were a bit low. Then Jill and Derrick start courting and there is more interest in the show and ratings rise a bit and then there was Benessa. Jill and Derrick get married and then Dilly 1 is announced and then interest increases. The girls get on social media and gain a following. Jill and Jessa have over a 1 million followers on instagram and they trumped Josh and Anna in terms of popularity and that was pre Joshgate.

My take is that during the period of Duggar girls weddings and Israel's birth, the Duggars were probably riding on a new high. They were happy with the interest in the married girls' lives and were probably banking on the show lasting a few more seasons. Joshgate then broke and they couldn't fix it. They should have still been prepared for life without TLC.

I also agree with you, they have too many kids to try and make a living off the YouTube platorm, in addition to the factors you mentioned.

The Duggers expect to grift from God providing it is goes job to take care of them since God gave them the kids their faith demands it

Archived