IGNORED

Duggars are begging for $$$ on their Youtube Channel

luv2laugh

I'm still not convinced, sorry. If the Duggars were black, Asian or Latino, I doubt the situation would be any different. It does come down to religion, of course. Are you saying that if they were black they wouldn't be getting the same handouts or have the same amount of leg-humpers? What specific benefits are they getting from being white?

If they were black or hispanic best believe the outrage would be different. Begging for handouts. Conservatives are the first ones who tell people to go get a job. Or complain about lazy people using welfare and people having too many kids they can't afford. They target black and hispanic people with being uneducated and having tons of kids while living in inner city neighborhoods. However white people like the Duggars can get away with bs like this. Asking for handouts and using Jesus to do it. If they were Muslim or Black people would tell them to get jobs, call them terrorist, or say typical black person. The duggars are all uneducated, have no jobs, and expect other people to provide for their lifestyle. JimChelle kept having kids they knew they couldn't afford. But all they did was claim Jesus and use their religion and white privilege to get away with bs like this. Yes I'm white, but I call out bullshit when I see it. America has a bunch of stereotypes against minorities. America is also racist and can't see the big picture. Anything or anyone that's not christian or white is a problem.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they were black or hispanic best believe the outrage would be different. Begging for handouts. Conservatives are the first ones who tell people to go get a job. Or complain about lazy people using welfare and people having too many kids they can't afford. They target black and hispanic people with being uneducated and having tons of kids while living in inner city neighborhoods. However white people like the Duggars can get away with bs like this. Asking for handouts and using Jesus to do it. If they were Muslim or Black people would tell them to get jobs, call them terrorist, or say typical black person. The duggars are all uneducated, have no jobs, and expect other people to provide for their lifestyle. JimChelle kept having kids they knew they couldn't afford. But all they did was claim Jesus and use their religion and white privilege to get away with bs like this. Yes I'm white, but I call out bullshit when I see it. America has a bunch of stereotypes against minorities. America is also racist and can't see the big picture. Anything or anyone that's not christian or white is a problem.

they are the picture perfect example of why Christians today have a bad reputation.

they are the picture perfect example of why Christians today have a bad reputation.

They and every Republican candidate who pushes the Koch brothers' pro-corporation, old boys club, protect the status quo, anti-poor and fuck-the-middle-class agenda under the guise of "Christian Values."

Sadly, race can play a part. If the Duggars were a Muslim family instead of christian, there is no way in hell the mainstream people would like them so much.

Also, people do tend to be biased toward white people. A white person out of work is down on their luck, a black person in the same position is seen as a lazy grifter.

Muslim isn't a "race", but other than that you are correct. The Duggars do not act much differently than extremist Muslims. They keep their women covered, the women have no personal agency, arranged marriages, and they hate everything and anyone who rejects their beliefs.

Remember that show about American Muslims that lived in Michigan? People became outrageously bent out of shape over it. Many could not abide that it was on the air at all. Personally, I think it was an opportunity to tone down the anti-Muslim fear and rhetoric but it wasn't meant to be.

Im not an expert in youtube, but why are they begging instead of creating a Vlog?? For sure the Duggars have enought followers to have respectable number of subscribers and views to win money with that. I follow some vlogs in youtube and aparently you can win real money with it.

Im thinking a blog focused in Jessa or Jinger for example, just their day to day life, could be a sucess.

Im not an expert in youtube, but why are they begging instead of creating a Vlog?? For sure the Duggars have enought followers to have respectable number of subscribers and views to win money with that. I follow some vlogs in youtube and aparently you can win real money with it.

Im thinking a blog focused in Jessa or Jinger for example, just their day to day life, could be a sucess.

I've wondered the same thing. Generic begging on youtube seemed a silly way to go, especially since there was nothing but crap content on there.

While they still have a following, why not create something more official with content that will delight their leghumpers and line JIm Bob's pockets?

I think they'll go that route eventually. Even the Arndts, who aren't known outside of a small circle of friends,had a pay-for-content portion of their site (guess it wasn't too popular). Maybe the Duggars have something in the works. Or maybe they are still hoping to pull something off with another cable channel.

I don't get it either. Most Vloggers or Ytubers the 2 hardest things are creating enough content and all the hours editing. This would be a simple fix for the Duggars since there are 20+ to take the camera and make some content. Then newly fired Josh and lonely Josiah could do all the editing. The girls could do all the makeup and bronzer tutorials and mom/dad could do the brainwashing campaign. I really wished they would have at least made a subscribe button on YouTube instead of asking for donations.

Things really are moving at lightning speed. She had her shower at Dillards today (is that a thing? A shower at the store?) and hasn't posted 1000 pics which is unusual. Just a pic of the cake (which is a three tiered wedding cake) and one of her with a bunch of women. Michelle and grandma Mary are there, but no Duggar daughters.

Things really are moving at lightning speed. She had her shower at Dillards today (is that a thing? A shower at the store?) and hasn't posted 1000 pics which is unusual. Just a pic of the cake (which is a three tiered wedding cake) and one of her with a bunch of women. Michelle and grandma Mary are there, but no Duggar daughters.

Wonder if the Duggar girls were invited???

Maybe they were working?

Too busy???

Muslim isn't a "race", but other than that you are correct. The Duggars do not act much differently than extremist Muslims. They keep their women covered, the women have no personal agency, arranged marriages, and they hate everything and anyone who rejects their beliefs.

Remember that show about American Muslims that lived in Michigan? People became outrageously bent out of shape over it. Many could not abide that it was on the air at all. Personally, I think it was an opportunity to tone down the anti-Muslim fear and rhetoric but it wasn't meant to be.

Yeah.... I think I meant race and religion. This is what happens when you post a little tipsy.

I dimly remember the show being discussed, but I don't have TV so I never watched it. It sounds actually educational and I would've actually watched it.

Yeah.... I think I meant race and religion. This is what happens when you post a little tipsy.

I dimly remember the show being discussed, but I don't have TV so I never watched it. It sounds actually educational and I would've actually watched it.

I remember ten or fifteen years ago when a white family had a set of high order multiples and they got a lot of media attention and goods from local merchants. However, a black family had also had the same number of high order multiples at about the same time and didn't receive squat, until some people complained on their behalf about the unfairness of how the two families were being treated (I don't remember the names of the families; can anyone help me out?).

Reproductive politics in the US have always centered around whether the "wrong people" are having too many babies and whether the "right people" are having too few. In the Muslim show, the individuals were automatically assumed to have a radical agenda even while doing the most mundane tasks, whereas the extreme nature of the Duggars' beliefs is still largely unknown by most of the viewing public. By dint of being white Christians, the Duggars get a pass from having to explain their religious agenda, while Muslims must always be on the defensive.

I remember ten or fifteen years ago when a white family had a set of high order multiples and they got a lot of media attention and goods from local merchants. However, a black family had also had the same number of high order multiples at about the same time and didn't receive squat, until some people complained on their behalf about the unfairness of how the two families were being treated (I don't remember the names of the families; can anyone help me out?).

Reproductive politics in the US have always centered around whether the "wrong people" are having too many babies and whether the "right people" are having too few. In the Muslim show, the individuals were automatically assumed to have a radical agenda even while doing the most mundane tasks, whereas the extreme nature of the Duggars' beliefs is still largely unknown by most of the viewing public. By dint of being white Christians, the Duggars get a pass from having to explain their religious agenda, while Muslims must always be on the defensive.

This is definitely true. I've heard people (Fox news watchers) complain that Muslims are trying to have large amounts of children to try to "take over." When I mention Christians like the Duggars who have an entire movement centered around having as many children as possible to take political dominion they look at me like I'm crazy.

What? Who? Amy?

I think this was the case; Jacqueline and Linden Thompson: http://trib.com/news/national/nine-year ... 292c4.html

Not breaking link since it's a public news site.

I think this was the case; Jacqueline and Linden Thompson: http://trib.com/news/national/nine-year ... 292c4.html

Not breaking link since it's a public news site.

That story makes me sad. The neighbors judge her because she can't keep the house looking nice. How hard would it be for them to take turns mowing the lawn for her? It's an old article; I hope things are better for them now.

They have their youtube channel which is essentially a Vlog. You don't WIN money doing youtube. If you do it well enough to draw in lots of viewers it's a lot of work. I do two videos a week and just had my first video break the $1 mark, that's right a whole buck. Of course I don't have the subscribers that the Duggars do but I'm not winning a damn thing, I worked hard for the stupid dollar.

They have their youtube channel which is essentially a Vlog. You don't WIN money doing youtube. If you do it well enough to draw in lots of viewers it's a lot of work. I do two videos a week and just had my first video break the $1 mark, that's right a whole buck. Of course I don't have the subscribers that the Duggars do but I'm not winning a damn thing, I worked hard for the stupid dollar.

Diana isn't a native English speaker. "Win" is a mistranslation of the Spanish verb ganar. Ganar = win or earn, depending on context. There's your Spanish lesson for the day. 8-)

Since I last posted on this I read something about how the people were upset that the show was actually showing Muslims in too positive a light! :lol: I guess they need to keep the hatred up for some reason.

I have seen the reasoning before. I went to a banned book display once and they had a book on Buddhism that had been banned (like a 100 years ago) because it was too complimentary towards Buddhism and might encourage youth to adopt that religion. OH NOES!!

The Muslim program was not too bad. I watched a couple of episodes. It was a lot of stuff about how they were all just regular Americans and some family drama stuff like:

Grandma I don't want to wear a headscarf!

We are going to the mosque you must wear a headscarf. Dont dishonor your family.

Wahhh I hate headscarfs!

Find yourself a headscarf or you have to stay home!

The young woman finds a headscarf and Grandma is so happy and proud and they all go to the mosque.

Good times :D

Very much like the Duggars there was some shopping for modest clothes going on, too.

The Muslim program was not too bad. I watched a couple of episodes.

The only issue I had with the Muslim program was... it was honestly just really boring. I tried to watch it but I couldn't stay interested.

I'm probably not really the target audience, though. It seemed to be aimed at showing people who don't have much familiarity with the subject that Muslims are just people like everyone else, and if you were already aware of that fact it didn't seem to have a whole lot else to offer. I have my own mundane life and don't need to vicariously experience anyone else's mundane life, regardless of their religion.

The only issue I had with the Muslim program was... it was honestly just really boring. I tried to watch it but I couldn't stay interested.

I'm probably not really the target audience, though. It seemed to be aimed at showing people who don't have much familiarity with the subject that Muslims are just people like everyone else, and if you were already aware of that fact it didn't seem to have a whole lot else to offer. I have my own mundane life and don't need to vicariously experience anyone else's mundane life, regardless of their religion.

IIRC, wasn't that the reason the show was actually cancelled ? Not because of outrage or lack of advertisers, but because people just weren't watching it ? Because it was boring. I know a lot of people put up a big fuss about it, but I think the real problem was that it was just - yeah, nothing interesting. When the Duggar's started they were similarly boring, but the sheer overwhelming number of them and how they managed day to day life kept people interested until they got to "know" the individual characters enough to get a following. The Muslim family show didn't have any initial draw like that. Just that they were a different religion than most of the audience. Which isn't that fascinating on it's own. And the people who would have seen that religious difference as something freakish weren't watching in the first place.

It kind of reminds me of when Ellen came out on her show and it was a big, huge, controversial deal. ( yes the world has changed THAT much in 15 years :shock: )

There was huge blow-back, and the show only lasted another season or two. But to me, the issue wasn't that she came out, it's that after she did the show , a comedy, became very serious, and boring and all issue oriented all the time. And just not funny. So people stopped watching. Not because she was an actual real live lesbian on network television, and this was a new thing, but because the show stopped being interesting.

Archived