IGNORED

Real Housewives Franchise

Lillybee

Lol, I guess I outed myself, too. I love to follow the snark!

I just found rhony a couple weeks ago. I registered and a couple days later made an intro post, then a couple days later got an email that my post was rejected because it contained "an illegal link". Huh? I registered from my work email (a law firm) so I can't imagine what they were talking about and my email inquiries have gone unanswered :shrug:. I'll check out those other boards...thanks!

RHONY is alive and well but there was a big fight about a few weeks ago and some of the posters moved to http://z13.invisionfree.com/FreshSnarkDaily/index.php

There is always http://lynnnchicago.com/?p=10 which is a fun housewives blog. Check the side list for the latest blog.

Lol I just outed my self as a HW follower.

I can't stand lynnnchicago any more. I used to like her, but she is so one-sided and if she decides she doesn't like a housewife, that housewife can't do anything right after that. She has such a double standard in that if a housewife she likes does something, it's wonderful and funny and cute and if someone she doesn't like does the exact same thing, it's tacky and nefarious.

Yes, it is my one guilty pleasure. I DVR it and watch it on the treadmill, which makes it a little less guilt-inducing. My husband gives me plenty of grief, such as, "I've never known you to watch such trash". Buzz off, dude, I'm trying to work out here.

• 7 months later...

I enjoyed RHONY for a few episodes, then Aviva revealed her true self, and my participation at TWOP was, meh, not so much fun. Yet I couldn't just let it go, thought over the show and what it means, IMHO, and although I think the following post (after the first two quotes) follows TWoP rules and discusses The Show and NOT me, other websites or says "most people think," you never know what the TWoP mods will do. Anyway, some of the RH'ers over here might find it entertaining/thought-provoking. IF not, that's cool, too.

a

Every time Aviva goes off her rocker and starts channeling her not-so-inner Joan Crawford I now have this image of her with her inner voice telling her that "Daddy says it's okay to scream and then keep on screaming". I find it equal parts horrifying, sad and incredibly amusing all at the same time. If she starts screaming "no more wire hangers" at Ramonja next year I just may pull something laughing.

Relief! I think *this* is partly what I've been driving at - that I Promised not to mention any more.

I've been thinking a whole lot about the hours I've spent watching RHONY. I spent two or three on RHONJ but they don't really interest me - I think they are too close to home to people I know IRL.

Found a couple articles on line about the appeal of RH shows and what they signify. Tina Fey finds them laughable and the NJites "subhuman" and another blogger sees RHs as the end of feminism, or something.

To me, the appeal is watching the type of RHs I *don't* know IRL , but why should that be? Do I lack enough entertainment (drama, conflict) in my own daily life? What do the RHs have to add to my life?

I'm probably over-thinking the show, but when a lady Ramona's age is out with a couple of friends and starts thinking about how to handle herself if an argument arises - and an argument has never arisen in a combined 29 years of friendship - then the show has influence beyond what I wanna admit.

Aviva is the acquaintance one hopes never to have, or if they must have, to keep as an acquaintance and no more.

Sonja is very similar.

Ramona is the mystery: successful businesswoman? Seriously, how successful, and how much is the beach house and the Manhattan condo just Mario overflow?

Luann is something of a curiosity: srsly, a practical nurse snagged a rich guy long enough to make a life-long living off him, even in divorce? But mostly she's a cautionary tale, the acquaintance you only want around as far as you can keep an eye on her, and someone to whom you *never* reveal anything you wouldn't want exposed in the most unfortunate way.

Carole is the disappointment, the one who made the NYT best seller list with a memoir on death that was three parts name-dropping for every one part "this is how it was, and this is how I came back, after the three people closest to me (no names) died within days of each other." The friend who's way more shallow than you expected. But you Carole her right back, because it's always good to have somebody with her contacts in your contacts ... and she's reasonably easy to get along with, as are you.

Heather is the one you definitely want to get along with, because she's the one who gets things done and sees things clearly. You can see how she earned her place in the business world and how she's prospering; plus, her husband seems to have just as much moxie - albeit in a lot quieter way - and effectiveness.

George is Todd Akin in east coast non-gentile and probably non-conservative form, fer sure. One of those is more than enough in anybody's life, real or televised.

I grew up in a feminist family and I see those values in Heather and Carole, two women born to middle-class families who educated and disciplined themselves into successful lives via work in ladies' ready-to-wear and in journalism. In Luann and Sonja, who made their fortunes by marrying well, I don't see any real similarities to myself. In Ramona, maybe - I mean, she's allegedly prepared herself for work in fashion by atending the right school and earned her stripes, and she's got a good marriage to Mario and a decent relationship with AVery. In Aviva....there's nothing I identify with. And unlike with Ramona, and Sonja and Luann, there's nothing I enjoy watching about her. NOr her father, nor her ex-, nor her current. I don't even enjoy seeing young Harrison nor the younger girl in the intros, knowing the weirdness in which they're growing up.

For me, and this is just for me, and I"m not judging anybody who continues to enjoy the show, my RH days are over. It's been interesting to see how Miss Andy structures a show and I have loved me some house views!!! INteresting show, looking forward to the reunion, and then, bisous & au revoirs, Heh!!!!

I've been thinking a whole lot about the hours I've spent watching RHONY. I spent two or three on RHONJ but they don't really interest me - I think they are too close to home to people I know IRL.

Funny, that's the only reason I watch RHONJ, I grew up in the area and it reminds me of home. The rest of the Real Housewives show bore me, but RHONJ is like a continuation of the Sopranos, with less mob and more Carmella.

Sheinsane, that's interesting - not unexpected! Never looked at the Sopranos. The guidos on RHONJ tickle me, they remind me so much of one of my cousins-in-law. He's from MA, but a good Italian man is a good Italian man, whatchagonnado?

The NJ HWs are a lot like my aunts and cousins on one side of the family, with whom I've had nothing to do since my folks passed. Had my fill of their intrigues and meannesses. I really have enjoyed the NJ house views. I love that whole expansive, rococo, byzantine thing. Just not the byzantine in interpersonal relationships, ha!

I understood why Aviva called Ramona and Sonja white trash. I have seen that attitude in real life. Some native Manhattanites do think that they are so much better than those who have roots outside of the city. I have seen the way that they treat people outside of the city.

• 1 month later...

Anyone watch the season premiere of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills? My husband is away for work, so I bought new fuzzy pajamas, and the cats and I sat on my bed and watched it. No surprises, and lots of gawking at beautiful houses and clothes.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, not a BH fan, but the thought of clothes/homes gawking sounds wonderful! My problem with BH and OC is the amount of unfortunate plastic surgery and too much blonde hair that make all the characters fade into one big barbie doll. :D

I will give a rerun of the premier a looksee, though, I could use some apparel/real-estate eye candy!!!!

Guest Anonymous

I watch! Then again I watch them all with the OC ladies being my favorite. I love Lisa, her home is gorgeous and I love her style. Taylor and Adrienne are my least favorites.

I watch as. RHOBH. I do not like Brandi and I am unsure about Yolanda. I think it was last season that Lisa gave Adrienne cooking lesson. Adrienne used hand soap to wash off her chicken!

I find the New Jersey show almost unwatchableq, like NYC except for that Dreacher chick, and on the OC, Vicki needs to get the fuck overself. I could not believe how she freaked out over Briana's elopement.

Sorry that my previous post does not make too much sense. I was typing with my iPad on my lap and I made some typos. Anyhow, I dislike Brandi because her behavior on last season's reunion towards Taylor was just inexcusable. She was just mean to a woman who'd not too long ago lost her ex-husband and the father of her little girl. I do think Taylor and Kennedy are better off with Russell out of their lives, but it still has to hurt to have him commit suicide.

Yolanda may be the voice of reason on this season or she may be a stick in the mud or possibly both. Time will tell.

Of course, I was referring to Aviva Drescher of RHONY. I already did not like her much, but when she referred to Rush Limbaugh's despicable remark about Sandra Fluke, she totally lost whatever sympathy she might have had from me.

I tend to prefer shows like Flipping Out, Million Dollar Decorator, Top Chef and Tabitha Takes Over.

I admit it's a guilty pleasure for the homes and clothes. I was also amazed by the shoe collection at least one of them have. Once when they were in an airport and complaining about walking in heels, I said to the TV, "Wear flats next time, they're cute and much more comfortable." I first heard about the show when my uncle mentioned Lisa's dog having a wardrobe of outfits. I basically live between BH and OC, and started with the OC show, where they keep plastic surgeons busy.

I liked how on the most recent episode Paul and Mauricio agreed to help Taylor with a fundraiser benefitting domestic violence victims where the men "Walked a Mile in Her Shoes" wearing heels,

As I wrote on the RHONY thread, I cannot stand Aviva. Can't stand her horndog father either. Everyone else -Sonja, Ramona, Heather, Luanne, and Carole- I like although in varying degrees. I think that Luanne sometimes forgets that she came from much humbler roots, and FWIW, Count Ferdinand de Lesseps built the Suez Canal, not the Panama although he did try. I think Sonja is a bit more aware that she married into money. I like everyone else and have no issues with them.

THe NJ crew reminds me too much of Carmella Soprano's friends

To me, these Bravo housewife shows have less to do with feminism than with just pure absurdity. And every now and then one needs a little absurdity, in my view. Some of these women are very self-made (Ramona, Heather) and some are just hangers-on of the men in their lives (LuAnn, Sonja) even when they get divorced from the men.

I can't watch New Jersey or Atlanta. Uhmm. . . just no. Tried to watch Miami once but I couldn't get into the characters. I have lost track of when any of them are on, so I tend to catch them more when they're running them one after the other on Saturdays when I cleaning or organizing and I just need something to slightly distract me but I won't miss anything if I turn away.

My take on RHNY, I have always had a soft spot for Ramona, no matter what outrageous thing she does or says. She speaks her mind, is not highly passive-aggressive, and she tends to make insecure women feel. . . well. . . insecure. I tend to believe her heart is good, but sometimes gets eclipsed by how self-absorbed she is (and ALL these women are). I don't care for Heather, although I know I'm supposed to, but I just don't like her and would not want a friend like her. It probably has something to do with with her conflicts, which seemed almost intentional on Heather's part, with Ramona.

Carole's book was nearly unreadable, NYT best seller or not. I downloaded only the sample to my Kindle, mind you, but one chapter was enough to know I wasn't going to shell out hard-earned cash for that drivel. Bully for her for writing a book and having the connections to get it published, but otherwise, I don't have much use for her. I HATE passive-aggressive, two-faced people and she is the queen of both.

LuAnn and Sonja I tend to put in the same category. Neither have ever accomplished much on their own but tend to consider their own worth in terms of their ex-husbands' worth. Both are boring to me, and LuAnn is another who is terribly two-faced and a world class shit-stirrer. I don't mind when someone stirs the shit and then takes their licks, but LuAnn tends to stir the shit and then back away, leaving others to take the blame and clean up the mess. Don't like.

Aviva. . .Aviper. . .Adiva. . . what a horrendously crappy individual. I literally couldn't watch her so tended to mute if I was close enough to the remote, so I'm not even aware of all of her evil-ness. But I got the drift and she and her disgusting father should be banished to a remote island. It is interesting to me how someone could start a season looking like the empathetic one, perhaps even a peacemaker, but once the shine wears off, proves to be perhaps the most horrible housewife ever (well, in my limited experience, as I haven't seen all the "franchises"). I wouldn't be surprised to read on yahoo or msn that someone beat her into unconsciousness with her own prosthesis, she is that unsavory.

I tend to think the HW have run their course or jumped the shark, for the most part, but don't mind the RHNY or OC if they happen to be on.

Is this one on now? I can't keep track.

I watched the first season of this one and I liked Kyle and it seemed like everyone in the blogosphere HATED her with a white hot passion which I did not understand, so there was no one to discuss it with. I heard that one of the cast members' husbands committed suicide, but much past that I've sort of lost track. I did see one stray episode quite awhile ago that was airing on a Saturday or something and so I know who Brandi is and I did not care for her. But a lot of people seem to love-love-love her. Go figure. I just think she's vulgar and confrontational from what I saw. I think I liked Lisa and Kyle the best on that one. Did not like Kelsey Grammer's ex-wife and not a fan of Kyle's sister. I don't remember who Adrienne or Yolanda are.

Adrienne is a blond who comes from a family of hoteliers. Her family also own the Sacramento Kings NBA team. She was married to Dr Paul Maloof, a plastic surgeon. They will get divorced this season. Adrienne and Paul are the parents of twin boys who they keep off-camera. I like the Maloofs.

Yolanda is new this year. Her husband has apparently won 16 Grammy Awards for writing a bunch of songs I've never heard of. This week they threw a pretentious dinner party and made Taylor thoroughly uncomfortable by singing some funeral songs. Her dick of a husband kept referring to musician Boz Scaggs in a way that made it sound like Boz was dead. (He isn't.) I have decided that I don't like Yolanda. She's too full of herself.

Taylor is the woman whose ex-husband hanged himself. I can totally see why she found singing funeral songs inappropriate.

Guest Anonymous

I believe Maloof is Adrienne's maiden name and Nassif is her husbands last name. She probably goes by Maloof for business reasons. It's too bad about their divorce though, I liked her husband. Adrienne on the hand seemed to barely tolerate him.

Egads, Austin! With the exception of Heather, what you wrote pretty much is what's in my mind! I also marveled at AvIva's revealing and mute her carping, vicious voice. I'm curious to know who Cohen will bring back for S6, but I already know that I will nit watch eps, rather will read recaps on Vulture and another site - cant remember the name right now - where the snark and satire are sublimely supreme.

I believe Maloof is Adrienne's maiden name and Nassif is her husbands last name. She probably goes by Maloof for business reasons. It's too bad about their divorce though, I liked her husband. Adrienne on the hand seemed to barely tolerate him.

You're right about Adrienne's maiden name being Maloof and Paul's last name being Nassif. I really like Paul and agree that Adrienne didn't seem to appreciate him.