• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
doggie

indal: WBC Members Who Protest Funeral Face Arrest

doggie

not sure how he could do this legally.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jin ... 3f9d18d240?

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ® said members of the Westboro Baptist Church face arrest if they try to protest funerals in his state for victims of the Lafayette movie theater shooting.

The hate-mongering church has indicated it plans to protest the funerals, which begin Monday. The group considers mass shootings in the U.S. to be an act of God in retaliation for various sins.

John Russell Houser shot 11 people Thursday during a 7 p.m. showing of “Trainwreck,†killing Mayci Breaux, 21, and Jillian Johnson, 33, before killing himself. Houser reportedly expressed admiration online for Westboro.

"If they come here to Louisiana, if they try to disrupt this funeral, we're going to lock them up," Jindal, a presidential candidate, said on CBS's "Face The Nation" Sunday. "We're going to arrest them. They shouldn't try that in Louisiana. We won't abide by that here. Let these families grieve."

Westboro members protest funerals to call attention to their own extremist views. Jindal already has issued an executive order that attempts to block Westboro members from protesting the funerals.

"They better not try that nonsense here," Jindal said.

Edited by OnceUponATime
adding tags

salex

Many peopl have tried to stop wbc but they are a family of attorneys and know their rights. Topeka passed a lot of laws trying to rein them in and lost in court. They threaten to protest more often than they do protest but Jindal just increased the chance they will show up in his state.

doggie
I'm not sure who's more stupid- The WBC or Bobby Jindal.
the question of the century

Brittany15
the question of the century

I actually have to disagree with the WBC being stupid. While I think their beliefs are deplorable, they aren't stupid. Louis Theroux's documentaries "The Most Hated Family in America" and "The Most Hated Family in America in Crisis" (you can watch on youtube- I highly recommend) as well as Lauren Drain's book really show this. Many of the adults have law degrees so they are a very protected group. They know their rights and are careful not to do anything illegal. This is why they are so difficult to prosecute.

In Lauren Drain's book she gives a lot of insight in how the kids are raised. She talks about how the kids all get really good grades in school and about how not excelling academically is just not an option. She mentions college professors who would argue with them and have trouble proving their points because all the kids were so well read. She also mentions how it was a given that she would go to college and pay for it find a way to pay for it herself.

The WBC is a lot of things; however, I just don't think stupid is one of them. I believe that it is really important that they are not underestimated. They are very different from a lot of the other undereducated fundie groups that we snark on here. The kids are not graduates of the SOTDRT and the adults have college degrees. They say knowledge is power, and I believe knowledge of the legal system has given the WBC a lot of it.

Sorry for the long response, but I just really think that the WBC will only ever be stopped by people who realize they are actually a very smart group of people.

Jana814
I'm not sure who's more stupid- The WBC or Bobby Jindal.

I'm not sure either!!

gustava

SCOTUS ruled they could protest.

doggie

I actually have to disagree with the WBC being stupid. While I think their beliefs are deplorable, they aren't stupid. Louis Theroux's documentaries "The Most Hated Family in America" and "The Most Hated Family in America in Crisis" (you can watch on youtube- I highly recommend) as well as Lauren Drain's book really show this. Many of the adults have law degrees so they are a very protected group. They know their rights and are careful not to do anything illegal. This is why they are so difficult to prosecute.

In Lauren Drain's book she gives a lot of insight in how the kids are raised. She talks about how the kids all get really good grades in school and about how not excelling academically is just not an option. She mentions college professors who would argue with them and have trouble proving their points because all the kids were so well read. She also mentions how it was a given that she would go to college and pay for it find a way to pay for it herself.

The WBC is a lot of things; however, I just don't think stupid is one of them. I believe that it is really important that they are not underestimated. They are very different from a lot of the other undereducated fundie groups that we snark on here. The kids are not graduates of the SOTDRT and the adults have college degrees. They say knowledge is power, and I believe knowledge of the legal system has given the WBC a lot of it.

Sorry for the long response, but I just really think that the WBC will only ever be stopped by people who realize they are actually a very smart group of people.

true but there are different kinds of stupid they are good at education but dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to religion in that they are brain washed cult members. It is a strange combination but without the intelect they would living on the streets

Enraged
ADoyle90815
SCOTUS ruled they could protest.

So true, and the WBC is likely to use this to fight Jindal in court about being able to protest at those funerals. In my opinion, Jindal is the stupid one because he's going against a cult that is full of members with law degrees, and who are also careful not to break any laws when they protest. They might be a hate group, but they're far from being considered stupid.

halcionne

FIND JA RULE BURRIS SO I CAN MAKE SENSE OF ALL THIS

WHERE IS JA BURRIS?!?!

sorry, I had to. lol

DomWackTroll

WBC is so very, very convenient for the right wing. "See? We hate WBC, so that means we're not extremist, not dangerous, not crazy."

Sorry, wingers: You are still all three of those things.

Geechee Girl

FJ Law Pros, how is it that WBC never seem to detained to fighting words or incitement? It's been ages since I did civics or US History. Would Chaplinsky v. NH apply?

NotALoserLikeYou
FJ Law Pros, how is it that WBC never seem to detained to fighting words or incitement? It's been ages since I did civics or US History. Would Chaplinsky v. NH apply?

I googled and a later case ruled that mere offensiveness is not enough to qualify for fighting words and then a couple years ago the phelps had their own Supreme Court case where it was declared that what they did was protected speech (whereas fighting words are not protected).

wikipedia.org/wiki/Snyder_v._Phelps

Dislike what the WBC immensely but I definitely support their right to say it. Now, if a grieving father saw them at the funeral and flew into a rage and killed one, would thst qualify as a crime of passion?

teacherjane

Bobby Jindal is really good at doing things that are technically unconstitutional but sound really good to whoever he's trying to pander to that day--his meddling in state educational affairs re: common core was ruled an "unconstitutional interference." His voucher program was ruled unconstitutional, his creationist bill was ruled unconstitutional, etc, etc.

however, being from this area it's nice to see BJ doing something somewhat acceptable. I think he's been in the state these past few weeks longer than he has been probably in his entire career as governor.

NotALoserLikeYou

Today he ended his states relationship between Medicaid and planned parenthood. He's a real nice guy.

RosyDaisy

Son of a bitch!

DGayle

I googled and a later case ruled that mere offensiveness is not enough to qualify for fighting words and then a couple years ago the phelps had their own Supreme Court case where it was declared that what they did was protected speech (whereas fighting words are not protected).

wikipedia.org/wiki/Snyder_v._Phelps

Dislike what the WBC immensely but I definitely support their right to say it. Now, if a grieving father saw them at the funeral and flew into a rage and killed one, would thst qualify as a crime of passion?

The have a goal of inciting people to attack them. They sue for money for that. What they are doing isn't protesting. Protesting means being against something. What are they against at those funerals? They approve of murder. There is nothing they're against when it comes to the funerals, only other causes not related to the people who died.

They are intentionally trying to hurt grieving people to get attention for their hate-cause, and to goad people into attacking them. This is how it should be illegal.

Geechee Girl

The have a goal of inciting people to attack them. They sue for money for that. What they are doing isn't protesting. Protesting means being against something. What are they against at those funerals? They approve of murder. There is nothing they're against when it comes to the funerals, only other causes not related to the people who died.

They are intentionally trying to hurt grieving people to get attention for their hate-cause, and to goad people into attacking them. This is how it should be illegal.

That's how I see it, too. To my limited knowledge, this is where fighting words would apply. Enraging and inciting mourners to violence should be excluded from protected speech.