IGNORED

Everything About Harry Potter And Other Childhood Classics!

Anny Nym

On 6/30/2016 at 1:16 PM, PennySycamore said:

Anyway, I'm a Pukwudgie.

I am also a Pukwudgie.

This makes me happy, as I am otherwise sorted into Slytherin.

Takes the candidate's preferences into account, my ass.  

I'm a Slytherin who was sorted into.... Horned Serpent. I wanted to be a Thunderbird Cuz it's the only house name I like. (Also don't like being called a "horny snake." That phrase does not mean what you think it means.)

I'm a Ravenclaw who was sorted into Pukwudgie!!

Has anyone else read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child??

Edited by HarryPotterFan

8 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I'm a Ravenclaw who was sorted into Pukwudgie!!

Has anyone else read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child??

Sister!

I have read it.  I debated starting another thread with a spoiler warning, but I am not sure I'm ready to discuss it . . . . 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Sister!

I have read it.  I debated starting another thread with a spoiler warning, but I am not sure I'm ready to discuss it . . . . 

Same on both fronts. I've discussed it a bit with friends already though.

On 8/3/2016 at 5:30 PM, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Sister!

I just finished it today... would love to discuss if you guys are willing!

1 hour ago, RabbitKM said:

I just finished it today... would love to discuss if you guys are willing!

I started the thread.  Let's do it! :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I've been watching the HP film marathon on Freeform this weekend.  Turned it on when my granddaughter was here and watched Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets with her.  Anyhow, I don't think that Freeform showed Order of the Phoenix.  They were showing Goblet of Fire and then suddenly it was Half-Blood Prince.  I can't have missed an entire movie!

• 9 months later...
43 minutes ago, KnittingOwl said:

Suuuuper late to this discussion, but I'm still pissed about Sirius.  And that he died because everyone wanted Arthur Weasley to live.  

I thought that was why Lupin and Tonks died. I think Sirius was always supposed to. 

• Upvote 5

I don't see how the rest of the story could work with Sirius alive.  He was both a father figure and pushing him to be reckless, neither of which lets Harry grow as he needs to.  

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I thought that was why Lupin and Tonks died. I think Sirius was always supposed to. 

This is correct. Rowling wanted a parent to die to show the seriousness of the situation, but simply couldn't bring herself to kill Arthur who had very much been a surrogate father to Harry in many ways. So she decided to kill new parents, Lupin and Tonks, instead... which is actually kind of poetic in a way. Little Teddy Lupin was orphaned just like his godfather, but unlike Harry he appears to have been surrounded by a ton of love and support. 

Sirius had to die. Like @justoneoftwomentioned, Harry wouldn't have been capable of growing the way he needed to if Sirius had lived. His other parental figures (the Weasleys) lived, but Sirius was his one consistent link to his parents that Harry still had (Remus was deep undercover and, as such, couldn't fill that role in Sirius' absence.) Losing Sirius was, in a way, like losing his parents all over again. 

• Upvote 12

11 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

That makes more sense.  I'm still pissed at her for killing all three of them. 

• Upvote 5

@victoriasponge I have read a bit about Eleanor - who is simply phenomenal - but not the other two. I'll have to try and read up about them sometime soon though.

• Upvote 3

I may be the only one who never cared Sirius died. I see the point of his existence and his death but I wasn't moved by it. I was never as enamored with him as other characters. Had it be Arthur Weasley, I would have been upset. I felt more invested in him than Sirius. Dobby's death was just heartbreaking. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 8

Dobby's death was horrible.  Sirius didn't impact me much either.  That whole book annoyed me because people were all being so stupid though.  Thats the part that upset me.  Sirius gave you a method to communicate, why not use it ever?  There are multiple times Harry is wishing he could talk to him, and could have!

• Upvote 11

31 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Dobby's death was horrible.  Sirius didn't impact me much either.  That whole book annoyed me because people were all being so stupid though.  Thats the part that upset me.  Sirius gave you a method to communicate, why not use it ever?  There are multiple times Harry is wishing he could talk to him, and could have!

That made me CRAZY! He spends the whole book wanting to talk to Sirius, and at the end he's like, "Oh yeah, that two-way mirror was in my trunk."

• Upvote 5

I love Harry Potter, but I was never able to suspend my disbelief enough to reconcile that Harry couldn't just somehow call Sirius up on the phone for proof of life, wizard or no wizard. :pb_lol: I read those whole books thinking that even if I was a wizard, I'd still want a phone and basic cable in my house.

• Upvote 8

And he never seems to realize how stupid he was about that mirror.  There is never a moment when he thinks all those times I could have had as many conversations as I wanted.  

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

And he never seems to realize how stupid he was about that mirror.  

So, a fairly accurate portrayal of a teenager? ;)

• Upvote 18

17 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

So, a fairly accurate portrayal of a teenager? ;)

Exactly.

People need to remember that Harry was dealing with a lot in that book. He had witnessed a murder just a month or two before the book starts and was suffering night terrors over it. He and his cousin barely escaped a Dementor attack and Harry was almost expelled from school. His mentor? Wouldn't look at him or speak to him the entire book without any explanation. He was experiencing horrible mood swings because of his connection with Voldemort and he, very briefly, believed he was responsible for almost killing Mr. Weasley. Then there's the shit excuse for a DADA Professor/Headmistress who actually tortured him in tension and was focused on making his life miserable. Then there's the torture of being confined to a dungeon for Occlumency lessons with Snape and running an illicit DADA Club. And that's not even counting his relationship issues with Cho Chang or the very normal hormonal issues he'd be going through as a teenager.

Sirius only gave him the mirrors at Christmas time. He hands them to Harry with only a brief explanation as to what they are. Given everything else he had to deal with at the ripe age of 15, I do find it plausible that he wouldn't have thought to use them. I've been way more forgetful than that with far less on my plate.

ETA: Forgot to add that he was also dealing with a shitload of schoolwork too because they needed to prepare for their OWLS. And that he witnessed one of his Professors, McGonagall, almost die due to too many stunning spells at once while she was defending Hagrid from Umbridge. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 19

He was dealing with an insane amount that year.  I was never that bothered by his mood swings or all that,  I got it.  I just can't get over his forgetting about the mirror though, it may be unfair but it would have solved so much . . .

• Upvote 5

I was more annoyed at Sirius for not explaining the mirrors to Harry better or not reminding him about them after he risked contacting him through the floo network. 

Side note, we're doing Harry Potter for halloween along with our inlaws. All the adults are different characters but the little kids might all be Harry with a wagon being pulled with a culdron of poly juice potion (they were arguing over who would be Harry). I'm going as Tonks since I'll be 20 something weeks pregnant. I tried to get my husband to be Lupin but he's dead set on being Hargrid so he can walk around on stilts. 

• Upvote 17

Our cat is named Diadem at other half's request for a Harry Potter name, I'm mixed on it, as sometimes she shows her horcrux properties. She just stole the last TJ's vanilla wafer and is mocking me from under the couch.

So I haven't stumbled across this theory online (don't really look), but I heard it in London a few years back. Harry actually completed the three Hallows in Book Five. That while the Deathly Hallows were physical objects, die hard questers thought they could exist in spirit well, much like the ancient magic of love. So he would have survived the Battle of Mysteries either way, just as they were held by Mrs. Weasley in her defeat of Bellatrix Lestrange, death herself.

Hermione was the Invisibility Cloak, whose true gift was the ability to shield more than one person. We see her constantly keep them hidden during Book Seven, hide her parents away, see her deflect all sorts of hate thrown Harry's way via Rita Skeeter, etc.

Luna was the Resurrection Stone, motherless and thestral seeing, she was who Harry often found himself talking to about really dark things. Then she'd drift away again, not used often enough to drive Harry mad and it's said Mrs. Weasley was often a shoulder Xenophelius (sp) leaned on in the absence of his wife.

Ginny was the Elder Wand, the most volatile and hidden of the three, she too had survived an encounter with Voldemort, routinely refused to stay put, be left behind and fought. Led the Carrow resistance with Neville and Luna, was notably a seventh born (possibly of a seventh born). She's known for her dueling skills and bat bogey hex.

I really liked the theory and as subtle as J.K. Rowling is, I would not be surprised if there's underlying truth to it. Anywho, maybe Jim Bob and Michelle had so many kids so they could acquire enough talismans to protect themselves in their moral war on evil. 

• Upvote 9

Do we have a HP thread somewhere else? If not, it's what Dumbledore would want :dumbledore:

Just chiming in to say I've recently discovered Potterless podcast. 25 year old who never read the books working through them with fandom guests.  

Good laughs and snark, and comforting if you grew up with Pottercast :hermionegranger::

https://www.patreon.com/potterless

Harry on ... *boom boom*

Edited by Kleine Vampirin
Spelling. Hermione would be cross.
  • Upvote 7