IGNORED

Everything About Harry Potter And Other Childhood Classics!

Anny Nym

Fundie Bunny, I love your avatar! :clap:

It was literally the first thing that came on google whent i typed my username :cracking-up:

:nenner:

Ok, there's a whole thread here, and there's a whole forum of people as obsessed with typology as we are with fundies:

typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-and-type/11840-harry-potter-mbti.html?s=003ca53a7e1b4ef96972b4e35ea21154

There's also a chart floating about that suggests we're like Snape.

Which, I guess on any given day, is entirely possible. :evil-eye:

ww2.kqed.org/pop/2013/11/06/which-star-wars-and-harry-potter-characters-fit-your-myers-briggs-personality/

Perused the thread there a bit, feel a bit pouty over all of the INTJ pegged characters being villains, save the odd opinion that McGonagall could be one. On the other hand, all Slytherins unless you count Crouch Jr. and McGonagall, which would explain me, at least. :lol:

He is truly a mystical, mystical man. I'm reading the Graveyard book now, and I LOVE it. He's the first author who's really sparked my imagination since JKR, but if anyone knows of others, please let me know!! I also read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, but preferred the first over the second.

I love Gaiman's Good Omens- it's kind of conversational like Kurt Vonnegut.

As to YA fiction:

After I read Miss Peregrine's Home I read and also liked The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, I hear that they're both being made into movies

I sgare a birthday with Harry Potter :lol:

Glad to hear that i was nit the lnly one weirdly excited about James first day

Yay, I share that birthday too!

I love hearing about the Potter kids. You know what I would like even more? Some kind of prequel thingie about James, Sirius, Remus, Lily, etc at school. Not a little blurb like she did with James and Sirius and the motorcycle. I mean a legit book.

And maybe one about Ron and Harry's adventures as Aurors- before Ron left to go work for WWW of course. :D

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I hate the new Pottermore. I didn't love the old one, but I was starting to get into it and was collecting stuff. This new one is AWFUL. It's unreadable.

Wow. I hate the new Pottermore. I didn't love the old one, but I was starting to get into it and was collecting stuff. This new one is AWFUL. It's unreadable.

I feel stupid that I didn't realize that the things on the old site were going away. I hadn't done the last couple of books . . . I had put it off until . . . well, I guess I thought when it got colder this year.

I'm sad.

• Upvote 2

I feel stupid that I didn't realize that the things on the old site were going away. I hadn't done the last couple of books . . . I had put it off until . . . well, I guess I thought when it got colder this year.

I'm sad.

I don't think they gave us any warning that the old site would go away. I feel like they had just finished doing all of the books.

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't see this posted in this thread, but I enjoyed this particular Harry Potter fanfic as much as (or more than) the originals. What if Harry Potter was raised by scientists, was terribly logical, and was sorted into Ravenclaw?

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

http://hpmor.com/

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen the new illustrated version of the Sorcerer's Stone? Got it for my birthday and I felt a very little kid again. :D 

• Upvote 1

At some point, I'm gonna need to replace my books, because my parents made a rule that once the books started going to hardback as the preferred version, we had to share the book. So, obviously, I don't own about half the series. I probably won't get the new versions; I'll just try to find the old ones or buy them as an ebook set.

• 1 month later...

I am absolutely shameless about my adoration of harry potter. My husband had to spend weeks talking me out of naming our daughter Hermione. I just started reading the first one aloud to my 6 year old son. Harry Potter is my jam for sure.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Am I the only one slightly unable to get myself together? 

I honestly haven't decided whether I am excited about these or not.

I cannot tell where the ambivalence comes from, but I'm just not nearly as engaged as I was with the books or the original movies.

• 3 weeks later...

I share a birthday with Neville I believe (07/30) 

I own OotP, HBP and DH first edition. I went at midnight to get them all. My husband and I actually went through a HP binge watch this past week. All 8 movies in 3 days... my husband couldn't remember half the stuff. I remembered more because i reread the series this summer. It's amazing how enjoyable the movies and books still are.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm totes late on this, but just finished The Deathly Hallows last night. I decided to finish up the series because my daughter has been clamoring to watch the movies, and I am a won't-watch-the-movies-until-finishing-the-books type of person. I've miraculously avoided most spoilers over the years, and thankfully the one spoiler that I thought I read ended up being incorrect (or I misread it, so--good!).

My favorite moment of the series: (spoilers)

Spoiler

When Snape tells Harry: "Look....at.....me." And then you find out *why* he said that in the next chapter. That hit me like a physical blow to the gut. I haven't cried at reading a book in a long time, but that did it. Right there.

I figured something was going on with him, and I had the feeling Rowling was a better writer than to make him the villain (it was too easy), and I kind of knew something was up back in Half Blood Prince when he got so angry at Harry and yelled at him, "Don't call me a coward."

Anyway, that moment in Deathly Hallows was right up there with some of the most touching moments in literature that I've ever read--and it usually takes Grapes of Wrath level of sadness to make me cry over a book.

I'm dying to talk about this to people, because no one else in my house has read them/watched them and they don't want any spoilers.

ETA: And Gryffindor here (sorted on Pottermore). I was actually surprised because I figured I'd be Ravenclaw (I'm a bookwormy academic type IRL).

Edited by EyeQueue
  • Upvote 3

On 7/22/2015 at 7:44 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

Officially sorted in to Ravenclaw on Pottermore over here!

There is too much I love about Harry Potter to even answer all the things OP asked to get conversations going! The books first came out when I was in 3rd/4th grade and obsession just kinda over took me. I've been Hermione for more Halloweens than I can count. The books always provided me with a safe haven to retreat into when I was angry or upset. Harry Potter is just so freaking awesome. And I just love how well planned the entire series is, like in OotP when they were cleaning out Sirius's home JK Rowling briefly mentions there's a locket no one can open and it turns out to be Horcrux. Everything mentioned in the series has a purpose.

Also there was a study that showed kids who grew up reading Harry Potter are more empathetic and don't stereotype as much as other groups: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ry-potter/

The first book came out when I was well into adulthood, and I kept hearing people in my Master's program talking it up, and kind of internally rolled my eyes and pooh-poohed it (why are these adults reading a *kids'* book, for Pete's sake)?

Then, I was on a road trip and someone had the Jim Dale audio CD of Sorceror's Stone--and I was hooked. I immediately devoured the 2 that were out at the time, and kept up as they were released, and then real life got  in the way around the time Order of the Phoenix was released, so I got hung up and didn't go back to them until back this January when I decided I was going to finish them--and had to go back and start all over because I had forgotten a lot of stuff.

But, yes--the planning. I continued to be amazed at how she planted little tidbits early on that ended up being super important. It was so cohesive and tight--just masterful. I held back reading the last chapter over the last couple of days because I didn't want it to end. :(

And that study is super interesting, and I can totally see how kids who invested that much time in the series would be more empathetic. There are no real black-and-white characters. Everyone (even Voldemort) has some aspect that can generate a bit of empathy.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this to remind other forgetful HP fans (like me) that FreeForm is running the movies every Tuesday night.  (Who needs Counting On when we have HARRY!?!)

Tonight is Goblet of Fire!!!!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here gone to Pottermore very recently and been sorted into their Ilvermorny house?  Ilvermorny is the school of witchcraft and wizardry in North America.  It's on Mount Greylock, the highest peak in Massachusetts.  Yep, the wikipedia page for Mount Greylock says that now.

Anyway, I'm a Pukwudgie.  Pukwudgies are short and grey.  Yep, I'm short and have silver hair.

I still hate the new Pottermore. I was halfway through the old Pottermore when it shut down without warning. I want to refuse to go there. 

I still read the story she wrote about Ilvermorny but I'm just kind of over the whole JK Rowling love. I hope she either releases an encyclopedia, a prequel, or just lets it go. All this piddly little stuff is just kind of annoying to me. Put it in a book, written as a novel. Not a play that only a tiny number of fans can see. Not on a website that might disappear tomorrow. Not some weird movie based on a textbook. Or just let Harry go. The more information that is released, the more I realize that part of the draw was being able to make up your own stories. 

Besides, there's more to the US than Massachusetts. I hope we have a west coast school of magic somewhere so my kids don't have to travel 5,000 miles for school. 

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Has anyone picked up "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" yet?  Is it an actual book or just the script from the play?

ETA:  I just went to Amazon and read some of the over 250 reviews.  It's written as a play, and there's a lot of five star ratings, but I'm suspicious that a good number of them are fake.  There's a lot of one star ratings, and the reviewers were very specific about why they didn't like the book/play.

For now I think I'll pass on buying The Cursed Child.  Maybe I'll check it out from the library sometime instead.

Edited by Flossie
Adding additional information